Big 12 And Pac-10 Discuss An Alliance [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 And Pac-10 Discuss An Alliance

ECDawg78
05-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Big 12 And Pac-10 Discuss An Alliance
May 7th, 2010 12:43 PM
By: John Pennington

The Kansas City Star is reporting today that athletic directors from the Big 12 and Pac-10 met in Phoenix on Wednesday to discuss possible collaborations between the two BCS conferences.

Since last summer — and prior to the Big Ten expansion rumblings — there have been rumors of the Pac-10, Big 12 and ACC possibly working together to form a partnership that would benefit two of the above leagues in their next television contract negotiations. The question was: Which two?

With this weeks talks, it seems that a potential partnership between the two westernmost BCS leagues is in the works. Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe called the exchange of ideas “very positive.”

These talks have picked up because both leagues have TV deals expiring in 2012 and because the Big Ten has made the folks in the Big 12 (and across the nation) a little jumpy.

Keep in mind, we’re not talking about a full-fledged merger. This is a partnership, a working agreement.

If the two leagues can work out a way to play each other more often in non-conference football and basketball games, it’ll help on the TV front. Ditto if the two leagues — for the most part separated by two time zones — can figure out a way to stagger their games in an attempt to grab eyeballs for both parties.

In their current states, the two conference would pull together 22 major universities. That’s one-third of the total BCS roster. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that the teams out west will start to have a bigger say — if they can agree on things — in all matters BCS.

From a television perspective, some working agreement between these leagues would allow a network to haul in the major media markets from Houston to Dallas to Austin to Phoenix to Los Angeles to San Franciso to Portland to Seattle to Denver and more. Most nets would be quite pleased with such a roster.

So why am I posting all of this on an SEC website? Because if the Big Ten reaches into the Big 12, the Big 12 would become vulnerable. Everybody and their brother has speculated about a potential Texas jump to the SEC if that were to occur.

If the Big 12 and the Pac-10 have a solid working agreement and a dandy of a joint television package, Texas and the rest of its Big 12 mates might elect to stand pat… even if the Big Ten does pull off a raid of Missouri or Nebraska.

That would likely end all the talk of Texas jumping to the SEC as well as the semi-ridiculous chatter about Arkansas heading to the Big 12.

http://www.mrsec.com/story/big-12-and-pac-10-discuss-an-alliance

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/06/1929542/big-12-pac-10-look-at-alliance.html

georgiaguy31015
05-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Interesting way of doing business and it's creative I'll give them that. I wonder though how possible or probable it would be for a merger between the two conferences to follow later on down the line?

CaribbeanTide
05-13-2010, 10:50 AM
I know they'll fly (and I know it would likely just be occasional interconference play) - but think about how much fun an annual bus trip from Austin to Pullman, WA would be. ;)