Possibly big breaking news!!! Colorado & Utah to Pac 10 [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Possibly big breaking news!!! Colorado & Utah to Pac 10

DawgNBama
04-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Not sure about the validity of this, but it definitely bears watching, IMO. The Pac 10 and Big 10 are like siblings, IMO. What one does, the other does soon after.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2010/4/20/1432640/utah-and-colorado-to-the-pac-10-is

Cap'n
04-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Wow! That would be very interesting. A Pac 10 conference championship!

Poor USC! :rotf:

Bamadan
04-22-2010, 08:35 AM
In a way I could see Utah going Pac 10, but Colorado? Why not go after Boise State?

dnmuga93
04-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Utah is not going anywhere without BYU. The state legislature will not let it happen.

joehogjoe
04-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Arkansas has already gotten feelers from the Big 12.

CaribbeanTide
04-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Utah is not going anywhere without BYU. The state legislature will not let it happen.I agree. I have a hard time seeing the scenario where one goes and the other doesn't.

As for Colorado, if that were actually true (and if the Texas to Big 10 scenario actually happened) the dissection of the Big 12 would be on in full force. We get dibs on Oklahoma and A&M.

joehogjoe
04-22-2010, 09:40 AM
If the SEC is smart, and it usually is on some things, it should not allow Texas to go to the Big 10. If there is going to be expansion of the SEC into some Uber conference then the SEC should make offers to texass, the (f)aggies, and UO.

DecaturDawg
04-22-2010, 09:49 AM
If the SEC is smart, and it usually is on some things, it should not allow Texas to go to the Big 10. If there is going to be expansion of the SEC into some Uber conference then the SEC should make offers to texass, the (f)aggies, and UO.

Rep.

Love that...

CaribbeanTide
04-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Coincidentally, Parker Brothers has just announced the new 'Risk: College Athletics' edition.

joehogjoe
04-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Rep.

Love that...

It's an old SWC term of "endearment"

Cuz
04-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Arkansas has already gotten feelers from the Big 12.

Did it tickle?

joehogjoe
04-22-2010, 10:06 AM
doubt it, just what I have heard. Don't know anything than its one of those whispers he said she said behind the doors stuff. Only the powers that be with $$$ know for sure. That leaves me out.

The_Mitch
04-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Utah is not going anywhere without BYU. The state legislature will not let it happen.

See Florida and Florida State is a "by law" game and it's worked out ok

DBS
04-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Rep.

Love that...

and it was so close to texass. i bet you did like that..........

Storm
04-22-2010, 11:51 AM
i say we just put every team name in a hat and reorganize everything.......CAGE MATCH STYLE

Storm
04-22-2010, 11:52 AM
i just clicked the link and saw where breaking rumor is from Collin Cowherd. Yeah, good luck with that one.

DecaturDawg
04-22-2010, 12:05 PM
and it was so close to texass. i bet you did like that..........

Yes sir I did...especially when I lived there.

They called me the Cowpoke Poker.

Head 'em up...Move 'em out!

(whip crack sound here...)

REBEL5 AC
04-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Wouldn't be shocked to see Colorado retreat from the Big 12. They will obviously never in anything in this conference.

A&M will never go anywhere without Texas, and vice-versa. If the Big 12 falls apart, I think Texas and Texas A&M would head for the SEC, which would make me happy.

boxvic
04-22-2010, 05:05 PM
I still understand why the PAC-10 wants Colarado. It sucks at every major sport there is... though I guess it fits about as well geographically as Arizona and ASU.

GatorMan32
04-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Texas and A&M in the West. I imagine that would move LSU to the east because they won't split the Miss schools or the Alabama schools and Arkansas in the east makes no sense. The East would be ridiculous then, geez.

REBEL5 AC
04-22-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm still not entirely sure this whole situation is going to even happen.

I just don't see the Big 12 imploding, leading to all hell breaking loose with programs going in different directions.

I've heard in the past that if Texas were to ever leave the Big 12, it would be for the Pac 10. I'd hope (and think) that Texas would go to the SEC.

Either way, all of this hinges on what Texas would do if this situation plays out.

GatorMan32
04-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Texas is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay outside the Pac 10 foot print but is not far from the SEC foot print at all, look at LA and Arkansas near by for instance.

BergeLSU
04-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Texas and A&M in the West. I imagine that would move LSU to the east because they won't split the Miss schools or the Alabama schools and Arkansas in the east makes no sense. The East would be ridiculous then, geez.

Auburn, geographically, would go to the East.

i just clicked the link and saw where breaking rumor is from Collin Cowherd. Yeah, good luck with that one.

Would it have been better if it were Herbstreit?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/15753/Les_Miles_have_a_great_day.jpg

Just Some Hog Dude
04-22-2010, 05:40 PM
The Big 12 seems like a solid conference. I don't know why it would collapse.

GatorMan32
04-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Auburn, geographically, would go to the East.

Would it have been better if it were Herbstreit?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/15753/Les_Miles_have_a_great_day.jpg

Auburn might be the furthest east but I see no way that they split up Alabama and Auburn. Then you have to end Alabama v Tennessee as an annual game and that won't happen.

Just Some Hog Dude
04-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Auburn needs to swap with Vandy to maintain geographic integrity.

Saleiri
04-22-2010, 06:57 PM
In a way I could see Utah going Pac 10, but Colorado? Why not go after Boise State?

Pac 10 has zero interest in Boise State and BYU

CaribbeanTide
04-22-2010, 07:25 PM
I ordinarily don't listen to Finebaum, but as I was getting in the car today he was just introducing a guest, Harvey Schiller - the SEC commissioner before Roy Kramer. Although Roy gets most of the credit for the conference expansion in the early 90s it was actually already heading in that direction before he took over. It was a fascinating interview and some of the key insights revealed were:

-Both Texas and the SEC were interested in UT joining the league. It was seen as mutually beneficial. But state legislators got wind of it and insisted on both UT and A&M going or it wouldn't happen. Things got bogged down and by that time the SEC was close to sealing the deal elsewhere.

-Florida wanted to bring both FSU and Miami in. The conference was extremely interested in FSU, but had a lot of reservations about Miami due to lack of resources/commitment across all sports.

-Feelers came from just about everywhere (Clemson, VaTech, etc) when word spread that the conference was looking to expand.

-Arkansas was extremely attractive due to its basketball fanbase helping to sell out the conference tournament.

-A conference championship game was going to happen with or without expansion (although the NCAA didn't like the fact that they were going to do it.)

-He believes had the situation not got bogged down in politics that Texas and A&M would've ended up in the conference.

I imagine they'll post it later tonight.

REBEL5 AC
04-22-2010, 07:48 PM
I'd love for Texas to be in the SEC. I've always wanted Texas to play the Florida's, LSU's, Auburn's, etc..

YR_Tiger
04-22-2010, 08:10 PM

LSU aint goin to the East. We are in the West and that'w where we belong.
I hope the SEC does not break this up. I and all the SECW fans I know love the West just as it is.
It's practically perfect.
Don't know what you boys our East think but we happy out here.

YR_Tiger
04-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Auburn needs to swap with Vandy to maintain geographic integrity.

Yeah because they will expose the pansys out west..

georgiaguy31015
04-22-2010, 09:02 PM

I agree with you. If I were the Pac-10 Boise would be my first choice and then BYU and then Utah personally. Colorado? I'm not sure they would even be in my top 5.

DBS
04-22-2010, 10:08 PM
texass would be the only market worth picking up.

Saleiri
04-22-2010, 10:17 PM
I agree with you. If I were the Pac-10 Boise would be my first choice and then BYU and then Utah personally. Colorado? I'm not sure they would even be in my top 5.

I promise you Boise State and BYU hold zero interest for the Pac 10, they aren't even good choices

georgiaguy31015
04-22-2010, 10:19 PM
I promise you Boise State and BYU hold zero interest for the Pac 10, besides Boise State isn't even that good of a choice

I don't know about the interest those schools hold. Like I said those would be my first choices and I disagree in that I think Boise is a good choice but everyone has their opinion.

boxvic
04-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Well, Boise's biggest down side is that they aren't that good in the other sports. Football will be the main factor, but basketball, being the other money sport, will have an effect too. If you are the Pac-10 you don't want to strengthen your football but end up just as bad in basketball.

BYU makes the most sense athletically... but at the same time their religious affiliation brings a whole new can of worms and doesn't add much of an audience.

Colorado though... just doesn't make any sense to me at all. They are horrible in football, horrible in basketball... and I guess they bring in a decent market, but really how many people watch Colorado sports since they are so bad?

Bacon
04-22-2010, 10:25 PM

Think more in terms of a 4 team expansion than a 2 team expansion.
Texas & Texas A&M to the west, and Duke and Florida State in the East.

Saleiri
04-22-2010, 10:29 PM
I don't know about the interest those schools hold. Like I said those would be my first choices and I disagree in that I think Boise is a good choice but everyone has their opinion.

You think Boise State is a good choice because you don't know what you're talking about. Boise State is HORRIBLE when it comes to academics(something the Pac 10 is particularly known for) and horrible at every sport that isn't football, not to mention they have a tiny fanbase and a stupid blue field. No one in the Pac 10 wants Boise State and until they get their act together NO bcs conference would even consider taking them. Everyone DOES have an opinion, and yours is wrong

Storm
04-23-2010, 12:00 AM
i don't think their blue turf has anything to do with it, that's just silly. That's like saying their a bad choice because they have orange in their uniform.

georgiaguy31015
04-23-2010, 05:35 AM
You think Boise State is a good choice because you don't know what you're talking about. Boise State is HORRIBLE when it comes to academics(something the Pac 10 is particularly known for) and horrible at every sport that isn't football, not to mention they have a tiny fanbase and a stupid blue field. No one in the Pac 10 wants Boise State and until they get their act together NO bcs conference would even consider taking them. Everyone DOES have an opinion, and yours is wrong

I don't know what I did to you but there was no need for that. Absolutely no need at all.

RedNekTiger
04-23-2010, 09:42 AM

Must be a Oklahoma fan. :lol:

joehogjoe
04-23-2010, 09:47 AM
i don't think their blue turf has anything to do with it, that's just silly. That's like saying their a bad choice because they have orange in their uniform.

I don't see a problem with that. ;)

CaribbeanTide
04-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Saleri didn't put it politely but I do agree with the opinion. The Pac 10 would have less than zero interest in BSU. Their academic reputation is FAR below what the conference would be looking for, their support for non-football sports is weak and Idaho isn't exactly a major new market people are knocking down the door to break into. Talk about them right now is akin to people talking about adding Southern Miss into the SEC back when they were a consistent Top 25 team.

Of western schools/states Utah and Colorado are the two most likely candidates due to sheer process of elimination. Nevada has a decent population and is the ideal fit geographically, but has no major universities the caliber of most of the Pac 10 programs. The Air Force academy could be another oddball choice for them due to their academics, but that seems unlikely. There's simply only a few real candidates for any Pac 10 expansion - unless they're willing to lose their identity as a west coast conference (and they seem like they'd be the last conference to sacrifice their geographic roots.)

Rocky@theTop
04-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Saleri didn't put it politely but I do agree with the opinion. The Pac 10 would have less than zero interest in BSU. Their academic reputation is FAR below what the conference would be looking for, their support for non-football sports is weak and Idaho isn't exactly a major new market people are knocking down the door to break into. Talk about them right now is akin to people talking about adding Southern Miss into the SEC back when they were a consistent Top 25 team.

Of western schools/states Utah and Colorado are the two most likely candidates due to sheer process of elimination. Nevada has a decent population and is the ideal fit geographically, but has no major universities the caliber of most of the Pac 10 programs. The Air Force academy could be another oddball choice for them due to their academics, but that seems unlikely. There's simply only a few real candidates for any Pac 10 expansion - unless they're willing to lose their identity as a west coast conference (and they seem like they'd be the last conference to sacrifice their geographic roots.)

Completely agree... Only Utah, Colorado, and BYU are real contenders.

TampaBayTiger
04-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Would make a nice balanced conference with even rivalries throughout:

Pac 12 North
1. Washington
2. Washington State
3. Oregon
4. Oregon State
5. Utah
6. BYU

Pac 12 South
1. Arizona
2. Arizona State
3. USC
4. UCLA
5. Stanford
6. California

Big Ten will add Pittsburg. Big East adds UCF.

These things look likely to happen.

Some of the other rumors (like Colorado to Pac 10, Arkansas to Big 12, and Clemson to the SEC...are just rumors at this point).

joehogjoe
04-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Would make a nice balanced conference with even rivalries throughout:

Pac 12 North
1. Washington
2. Washington State
3. Oregon
4. Oregon State
5. Utah
6. BYU

Pac 12 South
1. Arizona
2. Arizona State
3. USC
4. UCLA
5. Stanford
6. California

Big Ten will add Pittsburg. Big East adds UCF.

These things look likely to happen.

Some of the other rumors (like Colorado to Pac 10, Arkansas to Big 12, and Clemson to the SEC...are just rumors at this point).

False Rumor

Dr.SwineSmeller
04-23-2010, 02:41 PM
The SEC is on top in football. Those other conferences need 14 to 16 teams to just try to keep pace with the SEC. But even then, overtaking the SEC just because you have 14 to 16 teams in a conference is a fantasy thought. :lol:

I think the SEC is just fine as is, and will remain so for years to come. Just like DBS said, short of Texas and Texas A&M joining the SEC, (therefore drafting their heavy market share), the SEC has nothing to gain by further expansion. No use to mess with a well oiled sprocket. All this expansion talk to more than 12 teams by the other major conferences is directly due to the SEC domination. :banghead:

Dr. SwineSmeller:office:

Just Some Hog Dude
04-23-2010, 02:47 PM
False Rumor

Is it? If another Florida debacle happens it might not be. There are many conferences that would love to add such an all around great athletic program to their conference. We will not be treated like second class members.

http://i44.tinypic.com/bebqsj.jpg

Saleiri
04-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Is it? If another Florida debacle happens it might not be. There are many conferences that would love to add such an all around great athletic program to their conference. We will not be treated like second class members.

http://i44.tinypic.com/bebqsj.jpg

Getting treated like "second class members" in the SEC is better than being treated like "first class" one anywhere else.....quit being so dramatic

Just Some Hog Dude
04-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Getting treated like "second class members" in the SEC is better than being treated like "first class" one anywhere else.....quit being so dramatic

Please, the Big 12 would become the best conference if they dropped Iowa St and added Arkansas. They would be adding a historical top 25 program in all major mens sports that the SEC would not be able to replace. If you think Arkansas is going to put up with the crap that happened in Gainesville last year then you are crazy. We were good before we joined the SEC in all mens sports.

Saleiri
04-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Please, the Big 12 would become the best conference if they dropped Iowa St and added Arkansas. They would be adding a historical top 25 program in all major mens sports that the SEC would not be able to replace.

Florida State: done, enjoy your second rate conference

Just Some Hog Dude
04-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Florida State: done, enjoy your second rate conference

FSU has better tradition than us in baseball, roughly equal in football but not in basketball. They are not even close in basketball. Besides, who says FSU even wants to join the SEC? They are stuggling in the ACC right now.

Rocky@theTop
04-24-2010, 01:28 PM
FSU has better tradition than us in baseball, roughly equal in football but not in basketball. They are not even close in basketball. Besides, who says FSU even wants to join the SEC? They are stuggling in the ACC right now.

Put down the weed.

Just Some Hog Dude
04-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Put down the weed.

http://www.secsports.com/news/default.aspx?ArticleId=3988

We have actually finished in the top 20 more than FSU. We are also superior to Tennessee in two of the three major mens sports as well.

Herchel
04-24-2010, 04:44 PM

We have actually finished in the top 20 more than FSU.

HalfassU was a girls' school until the 50's. Check your record since then.

Rocky@theTop
04-24-2010, 07:27 PM
HalfassU was a girls' school until the 50's. Check your record since then.

Exactly H...

Our former Voice of the VOLS, John Ward opened the 1998 National Championship radio coverage by saying... "In 1938 Tennessee went undefeated and won it's first National Championship, In 1938 Florida State was a girl's school."

Saleiri
04-24-2010, 10:09 PM

We have actually finished in the top 20 more than FSU. We are also superior to Tennessee in two of the three major mens sports as well.

strong homer

Just Some Hog Dude
04-24-2010, 10:13 PM
strong homer

Facts son not BS. Just so you knuckleheads know, Arkansas never finished in the top 20 prior to the 1960s either.