NCAA Rejects Memphis' Appeal [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Rejects Memphis' Appeal

Wave&Dawgs
03-22-2010, 02:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5018281

NCAA: Memphis must vacate wins

Associated Press
MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Memphis must vacate its record 38-win men's basketball season from 2007-08 after the NCAA rejected its appeal.

The NCAA announced Monday that its Infractions Appeal Committee ruled against Memphis, which was found to use an ineligible player, believed to be Derrick Rose. The Tigers lost in overtime to Kansas in the national title game that season.

The NCAA originally ordered Memphis to vacate the season and forfeit money on Aug. 20. Memphis had appealed, arguing the penalties were unprecedented and that the school was held to a strict liability when Rose was ruled retroactively ineligible for an SAT score that was invalidated by the Educational Testing Service in May 2008.

"The Infractions Appeals Committee found no basis to conclude that the penalty was excessive such that the Committee on Infractions had abused its discretion in imposing the penalty," the NCAA said in a release posted on its Web site.

The decision was based on a letter from the testing agency to the athlete that "not only made the student-athlete aware that his eligibility was in serious jeopardy, but that he would be declared ineligible if he did not respond to the letter," according to the committee's report to the NCAA.

That means an asterisk beside Memphis' 38-2 season that had set the NCAA record for wins in a season and approximately $615,000 in lost tournament revenue. The infractions committee originally said it struck hard because the ineligible player was used the entire season. Rose played in all 40 games, starting 39.

The university issued a statement Monday, saying it was "extremely disappointed" and "strongly disagrees" with the decision.

Memphis also asked the NCAA to take several steps to avoid this kind of problem in the future.

The university wants the NCAA to require the Educational Testing Service to notify universities of any investigations of student-athletes, something officials want the NCAA to start immediately to work out a plan to do just that. And Memphis wants the NCAA Eligibility Center to provide guidance and keep both schools and student-athletes informed on test score questions.

Memphis also endorsed the appeal committee's decision requiring the Committee on Infractions to explicitly state evidence supporting each penalty imposed on programs in the future.

"Without an open dialogue about ongoing issues, the University of Memphis and other NCAA members have less confidence in the abilities of the NCAA and ETS to work productively on behalf of student-athletes and the universities they represent," Memphis President Shirley Raines said in a statement.

"This issue requires immediate attention by both organizations."

OffThePorch
03-22-2010, 02:23 PM
the NCAA sucks...

kentubbybasketball
03-22-2010, 02:53 PM
At the point in time I don't care one way or the other. You can take wins away and a final four, but you don't take away the experience. To say Kansas basically didn't win that game (since Memphis "didn't exist" in 2008) is a bit unfair to Kansas and all fans of college basketball, since that was the best title game since maybe 1997.

Furthermore, why wasn't Duke penalized in 1999?

Storm
03-22-2010, 04:04 PM
this is why MSU should be really worried, IMO. The NCAA cleared Rose once, now it takes wins away. Morons

kentubbybasketball
03-22-2010, 04:52 PM
And, the NCAA didn't even spend much time in clearing Rose. They spent an entire season to "clear" Sidney. The NCAA doesn't realize how foolish they look here, whether Rose did or didn't cheat. They reprimanded their own staff not once for not deeming him ineligible to begin with. lol

CentralMSDawg
03-22-2010, 05:28 PM
this is why MSU should be really worried, IMO. The NCAA cleared Rose once, now it takes wins away. Morons

Even if Sidney turns out to be the best player the SEC has ever seen I'm still uneasy about him playing because of the NCAA. We could win 25+ games next year the NCAA may say sorry we didn't dot an I or cross a T on the Sidney case so all of your wins are wiped out.

OffThePorch
03-22-2010, 05:30 PM

not worried at all...

Storm
03-22-2010, 06:29 PM
not worried at all...

I don't see how you can say "the NCAA sucks" in one post, then turn around and say your "not worried at all," in the next.........LOL

georgiaguy31015
03-22-2010, 06:41 PM
No shocker there but that's what happens when you break the rules.

SkyAntoine
03-22-2010, 10:15 PM
It was tweeted tonight that Memphis is considering asking Calipari for the $386,000 in bonuses back from the 2008 season. Ouch.

OffThePorch
03-22-2010, 10:31 PM
I don't see how you can say "the NCAA sucks" in one post, then turn around and say your "not worried at all," in the next.........LOL

Its easy... I want to win.. if the sucky ncaa wants to come in later & take something away.. so be it..
Is UK (are you) worried about Cal at UK..? not enough to not hire him.. :)

Storm
03-22-2010, 10:38 PM
i see......try telling me Chris Webber and the Fab 5 never played at Michigan......I hear what you're saying, bro.

OffThePorch
03-22-2010, 10:44 PM
i see......try telling me Chris Webber and the Fab 5 never played at Michigan......I hear what you're saying, bro.

exactly.. now you get it.. anyway worry is bad for ones health..

i dont have my hopes too high that Sidney will ever play at State.. ill believe it when i see it..

Dr.SwineSmeller
03-23-2010, 07:19 AM
Calipari indeed crapped on Memphis, and didn't even wipe.

SS

kentubbybasketball
03-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Sky, where did you hear that Memphis is potentially gonna ask for the cash back?

SkyAntoine
03-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Sky, where did you hear that Memphis is potentially gonna ask for the cash back?
Matt May from TCP tweeted yesterday the following:

TCPMAY (http://twitter.com/TCPMAY) RT @DanWolken (http://twitter.com/DanWolken): Memphis may ask Calipari to return the $360,000 in bonuses he earned for winning 81% of games and going to 2008 Final Four.

Wolken is the writer for the Memphis Commercial Appeal that apparently hates Cal. He seems to be the original source.