Ohio up 11 on Georgetown with 2:50 left... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Ohio up 11 on Georgetown with 2:50 left...

boxvic
03-18-2010, 09:23 PM
This will KILL my bracket. Right now, all but one of my brackets are perfect and one only has one miss (I picked Richmond over St. Mary's on one for some reason.)

I almost, and I swear I did, almost picked Ohio as a major upset special... but I wen't conservative and put G-town on through several rounds... damn my second guessing.

kentubbybasketball
03-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Georgetown is one of those teams that played that deliberate style, which is so hard to prepare for in a tourney setting, yet at times it doesn't allow you to put teams away, which leads to shellshocking losses.

Makes you wonder if this is Greg Monroe's swan song for college. Dude, is the most versatile 5 in the country, and he's got a contract at the next level for sure.

As for Ohio, John Groce could be on the way up to a better job. Being a Thad Matta guy and maybe one of the very best recruiters in the country while with Matta doesn't hurt.

boxvic
03-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Ohio wins... I should have known not to go with the Big East team, they always lose.

georgiaguy31015
03-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Georgetown just ****ed everybody. What a bunch of idiots. How the hell do you lose to Ohio? Morons.

bballpro408
03-18-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't think I had them going past the Sweet 16, and with everyone else probably losing this one too I don't feel too bad about being wrong.

Re: Monroe... I think he's NBA ready right now.

IllinoisDawg63
03-19-2010, 12:58 AM
They made a comment that there hasn't been a #14 beat a #3 since somebody(?) beat Iowa-I can't remember Iowa getting a #3 seed. I don't
remember even Lute Olsen coaching Iowa that they ever got that high a seed. Does anyone know who beat themand when?

georgiaguy31015
03-19-2010, 06:48 AM
They made a comment that there hasn't been a #14 beat a #3 since somebody(?) beat Iowa-I can't remember Iowa getting a #3 seed. I don't
remember even Lute Olsen coaching Iowa that they ever got that high a seed. Does anyone know who beat themand when?

I don't know about the team, the coach or the team that beat them but I want to think I heard them say that was the first time a 3 had been beaten in the first round since either 1991 or 1993.

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2010, 12:21 PM

Yes, Iowa was a 3 seed in 2006 when they were Big Ten Champs. They lost to Northwestern State (in Louisiana). Steve Alford was the coach of the Hawkeyes then.

IllinoisDawg63
03-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Yes, Iowa was a 3 seed in 2006 when they were Big Ten Champs. They lost to Northwestern State (in Louisiana). Steve Alford was the coach of the Hawkeyes then.Thanks-so that was Alford's last season at Iowa, and they just fired Lickliter. Iowa had a star player from the Chicago area, who was in big trouble with a former gf or wife-pretty sure his last name was Pierce and had to do some time.

kentubbybasketball
03-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Nah, that was Alford's next to last year, because Alford came back the following season (2007). He left after that season though for New Mexico, but he was kinda pushed out. I think it was a mutual agreement, the Iowans were tired of him and he was kinda tired of them.

That's what I'm talking about with Vandy this year BTW. Alford had his best Iowa team in 2006 (with Haluska, Horner, and Hansen blocking shots). Yet, they lose in a favorable NCAAT matchup, and it was a sign that Alford may never take that next step at Iowa. I wonder if that's where Stallings and Vandy sit at the moment.

Anyway, yeah, Pierce had even more trouble than the gf issue.