Texas/Notre Dame not on Big Ten Expansion List [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Texas/Notre Dame not on Big Ten Expansion List

Storm
02-22-2010, 04:55 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/12954264/big-ten-reportedly-hires-firm-to-research-expansion-candidates

Other than that, the possible expansion of the Big Ten is moving along at a swifter pace than most of us expected. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Saturday that the conference had hired a firm to research possible candidates.

The list of schools being examined, the paper said, numbers 15.

"They [research firm] basically broke down what they [expansion candidates] would bring to the table," Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez was quoted as saying at a meeting of the Wisconsin athletic board. "They talked about academics. They talked about size. They talked about size of their arenas. They talked about attendance. They talked about the populace in that specific area."

CBSSports.com, in various conversations, has been able to determine that Notre Dame will not be one of the expansion candidates. While that should come as no surprise, it was thought the Big Ten would at least make ND and Texas say no before moving on.

Notre Dame has maintained its steadfast intention to remain independent. Meanwhile, a report in the Lawrence Journal-World last week stated that there had been "preliminary exchanges" between the Big Ten and Texas. The Journal Sentinel reported that Texas was not one of the 15 schools being examined by the research firm.

Of course, if Notre Dame and/or Texas showed a willingness to join the Big Ten, there wouldn't be much research to do. The two schools are seen as the only slam-dunk candidates in an otherwise muddied expansion picture.

"My read is that Notre Dame wants to be a national school, and they want to play a national [football] schedule," Alvarez told the paper. "And unless you've been there and seen the magnitude of their fan base and the interest nationally, it is hard to understand.

"I understand."

When asked recently about a timeline for Big Ten officials making campus visits to possible expansion candidates, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany refused to comment. Alvarez did say that Delany could make a recommendation to conference presidents as early as this summer.

In December, the Big Ten stated publicly it would study expansion over the next 12 to 18 months. Last week, Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott said his league would "seriously" explore expansion.

The Big Ten expansion could be by one or more teams. Presumably, the Pac-10 would expand by two teams.

It is not certain that either conference is going to expand but the mere possibility has caused much consternation at the top levels of college athletics.

joehogjoe
02-22-2010, 04:57 PM
well the texas stadium is certainly huge, it's potentially bigger than #1 Penn St. and #2 Mich.

Storm
02-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Michigan should regain the #1 spot this season after the renovations are complete. Taking it up to around 110,000 seats.

REBEL5 AC
02-22-2010, 05:09 PM
I didn't think it was ever going to happen. It was ridiculous.

joehogjoe
02-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Michigan should regain the #1 spot this season after the renovations are complete. Taking it up to around 110,000 seats.

its capacity will be 108000, but it will hold over 113000 at least.

The footing of the stadium were built so that it could eventually be expanded to around 200,000.

That's be sight to see.

georgiaguy31015
02-22-2010, 06:13 PM
No shocker that it won't be Texas or ND. I think we all knew that from the get go and I'm sure everyone else who's been paying attention did too. I would have liked to have seen it but it just ain't going to happen. I like the idea of the Pac-10 expanding too and I think they need to as well. It will be interesting to see what they do probably more so than the Big 10.

IllinoisDawg63
02-22-2010, 06:53 PM
200, 000?? yeah, right!! I hate that crap-you can't sit a effing game comfortably unless you weigh under 100#. Sat at a game once at
Iowa(capacity@ 80,000 ten yrs ago) and we were so f'ing crammed for
room, and we had one less person than what was expected. Course, the brain dead Iowa fans were probably unable to read their f'ing ticket to
know where the f**k they belong-at least Wisconsin beat the A-holes!!!

Storm
02-22-2010, 07:26 PM
the latest renovations to The Big House expanded the width of the seats as well.

joehogjoe
02-25-2010, 12:20 PM
200, 000?? yeah, right!! I hate that crap-you can't sit a effing game comfortably unless you weigh under 100#. Sat at a game once at
Iowa(capacity@ 80,000 ten yrs ago) and we were so f'ing crammed for
room, and we had one less person than what was expected. Course, the brain dead Iowa fans were probably unable to read their f'ing ticket to
know where the f**k they belong-at least Wisconsin beat the A-holes!!!

the last and only time I ever went to Sanford stadium I had the misfortune of sitting next to this georgia gal whose butt was so wide it took up at least 3 seats, she was wearing her red and silver spandex pants and her p**** fat was rolling over onto the man sitting in front of her. We had the aisle seat and the one next to it, but she had most of those occupied. The very nice attendant allowed us to sit in the aisle itself because she wasn't moving. Ya'll kicked our butts so fortunately she took her zipcode butt home at halftime and we got our seats.

HeyBulldog
02-28-2010, 11:38 AM
the last and only time I ever went to Sanford stadium I had the misfortune of sitting next to this georgia gal whose butt was so wide it took up at least 3 seats, she was wearing her red and silver spandex pants and her p**** fat was rolling over onto the man sitting in front of her. We had the aisle seat and the one next to it, but she had most of those occupied. The very nice attendant allowed us to sit in the aisle itself because she wasn't moving. Y'all kicked our butts so fortunately she took her zipcode butt home at halftime and we got our seats.The last time Georgia kicked y'all's butts in Athens was a 27-3 win in 1992 (no other winning margin has been larger than 11 points since then). No way anyone that big can have avoided a massive MI in the 18 years since that game. She's probably dead now. Just wanted to start your day with a smile. Don't be a stranger. :cheers:

HeyBulldog
02-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Michigan should regain the #1 spot this season after the renovations are complete. Taking it up to around 110,000 seats.With a stadium as big as it is already, I don't see the point. No doubt the athletic department is paying big bucks for a project that can't give them anything more than a relatively meager return on the investment, in a bad economy, and it's not like there would be a noticeable increase in overall crowd noise.

I just realized that's a perfect analogy for the acquisition of y'all's head coach. Big money with little return, resulting in crowds with not much to make noise about. At least not the good kind of noise. ;)

AlienBeans
02-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Well, It doesn't matter who these conferences add to get up to 12 teams. BUT, if Notre Dame is so adamant about staying independent, then they need to suffer the consequences. It's not fair for them to get an automatic pass to the bcs without having to play by the same rules as the rest of the conferences (assuming they all get to 12 teams). They don't belong in the BCS if they don't play by the same rules as the rest of us. I have nothing against notre dame at all, but they shouldn't be allowed to "get" a bcs bid with shallow criteria like they have now. Man up and join a conference or say bye to the BCS.

HeyBulldog
02-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Notre Dame is a huge draw. It's all about the money. Fairness has never had anything to do with it.

Dr.SwineSmeller
03-02-2010, 03:10 AM
No shocker that it won't be Texas or ND. I think we all knew that from the get go and I'm sure everyone else who's been paying attention did too. I would have liked to have seen it but it just ain't going to happen. I like the idea of the Pac-10 expanding too and I think they need to as well. It will be interesting to see what they do probably more so than the Big 10.

The Pac-10 has sat back on their rear ends for years now and watched the other major conferences pass them by with expansion that includes a giantly important conference championship game in terms of who plays for the BCS title. This fact is somewhat perplexing considering the PAC 10, (unlike the Big 10), has ample major state universities from which to choose for expansion. The University of Utah is no doubt a great fit for the PAC 10, and though the population base of New Mexico is not large, they too would fit well. Some may say Boise State, but that is a little far fetched. The University of Nevada also fits well.

In two separate seasons in the 2000's, Southern Cal only needed a PAC-10 championship game to rate high enough to play for the BCS title.

The PAC-10 has to expand eventually, but I'd just as soon see them continue to sit on their butts.

As for Big 10 expansion, Syracuse or Pittsburg seems to be the best from which to pick, with an outside shot for West Virginia.

Given their huge New York market draw, Syracuse would be the logical choice, as the Pennsylvania market is already wrapped up with Penn State in the conference.

Dr. SwineSmeller :office:

SS

Dr.SwineSmeller
03-02-2010, 03:15 AM
Well, It doesn't matter who these conferences add to get up to 12 teams. BUT, if Notre Dame is so adamant about staying independent, then they need to suffer the consequences. It's not fair for them to get an automatic pass to the bcs without having to play by the same rules as the rest of the conferences (assuming they all get to 12 teams). They don't belong in the BCS if they don't play by the same rules as the rest of us. I have nothing against notre dame at all, but they shouldn't be allowed to "get" a bcs bid with shallow criteria like they have now. Man up and join a conference or say bye to the BCS.

Judging by the last 15 or so years, Notre Dame has already said bye-bye to a BCS Championship game appearance. :cry:

But Notre Dame has that independent NBC TV contract, and in terms of revenue, joining the Big 10 would be a costly move indeed. :think:

SS

georgiaguy31015
03-02-2010, 07:04 AM
The Pac-10 has sat back on their rear ends for years now and watched the other major conferences pass them by with expansion that includes a giantly important conference championship game in terms of who plays for the BCS title. This fact is somewhat perplexing considering the PAC 10, (unlike the Big 10), has ample major state universities from which to choose for expansion. The University of Utah is no doubt a great fit for the PAC 10, and though the population base of New Mexico is not large, they too would fit well. Some may say Boise State, but that is a little far fetched. The University of Nevada also fits well.

In two separate seasons in the 2000's, Southern Cal only needed a PAC-10 championship game to rate high enough to play for the BCS title.

The PAC-10 has to expand eventually, but I'd just as soon see them continue to sit on their butts.

As for Big 10 expansion, Syracuse or Pittsburg seems to be the best from which to pick, with an outside shot for West Virginia.

Given their huge New York market draw, Syracuse would be the logical choice, as the Pennsylvania market is already wrapped up with Penn State in the conference.

Dr. SwineSmeller :office:

SS

Utah would be a good choice but if I were the Pac-10 they wouldn't be my first choice. I would ask Boise State who I think would jump at it and then I would ask BYU. Utah would be my third choice. I also really don't think Syracuse has that huge of a market draw in New York at least not for football. I think Pitt or WVU are the best two choices here and they would give you two good sports teams in football and basketball whereas Syracuse would only provide you with basketball. You may be right on having the Pennsylvania market already wrapped up but Pitt would give you a natural rivalry for PSU.