Hassan Whiteside [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Hassan Whiteside

Wave&Dawgs
02-21-2010, 12:06 AM
For those who don't know, Hassan Whiteside is the freshman center from Marshall who is leading the nation in blocks, even over Varnado. He's also projected by nbadraft.net to be the #1 pick in the 2011 draft.

They came to Tulane tonight so I got to see him play in person and he was fairly impressive. He's an absolute stud on defense. He had 7 blocks in 20 minutes of play which was amazing. He got into foul trouble, though, which is why he didn't play that much. It should be noted though, that Tulane's tallest player is 6'7 so Whiteside had it pretty easy when anyone tried to shoot against him.

On offense, he is still pretty raw. He had about 10 points but he did shoot about 2 or 3 airballs and struggled to score in the post even though he had a massive height advantage. His skinny frame probably contributed to that.

I definitely see the potential in him though. He had a couple of thunder dunks and some nasty looking blocks. If he just puts on a few more pounds and refines his offense, I could easily see him going in the top 5 in the draft.

Also, I met Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace at the game and a scout for the Hornets so that was pretty cool.

REBEL5 AC
02-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Sounds like Hasheem Thabeet to me.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Hassan Whiteside played before 11 NBA scouts against Tulsa last week (Jerome Jordan was there too though). I think many people have heard of him... at least I have.

Wave&Dawgs
02-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Hassan Whiteside played before 11 NBA scouts against Tulsa last week (Jerome Jordan was there too though). I think many people have heard of him... at least I have.

Alot of people here (at Tulane) that I talked to had never heard of him before he came here. Since ESPN never talks about him, the average casual college hoops fan probably doesn't know who is he is, or know much about him at least.

I'll admit that before I saw him play last week that all I knew about him is that he led the nation in blocked shots and he was projected to be a high draft pick.

Wave&Dawgs
02-28-2010, 12:43 AM
His numbers against UCF tonight (3OT):

14 pts, 11 reb, 13 blk

13 blocks in a game is just sick

georgiaguy31015
02-28-2010, 08:04 AM
I never heard of him until last week when someone was talking about Varnardo in a thread on here and he sounds like a defensive stud. It will be interesting to see what happens to him when he goes pro.

TimCity2000
02-28-2010, 01:06 PM
he would absolutely shatter varnado's record if he stayed all 4 years.

hopefully that doesn't happen, lol.

OffThePorch
02-28-2010, 01:15 PM
thanks waves.. he sounds very impressive. i have a life .. so id never heard of him..

i wish JV would shoot the 10 foot jumper more.. & the hook more often in close.. he needs to add more offense to make sure he is a long term NBAer.

Wave&Dawgs
02-28-2010, 01:55 PM
he would absolutely shatter varnado's record if he stayed all 4 years.

hopefully that doesn't happen, lol.

He is projected to be a top 5 pick this year so I highly doubt he stays. But yes, he is on pace to shatter JV's record should he decide to.

Wave&Dawgs
02-28-2010, 01:56 PM
edit...