Texas to the Big 10? Huh? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Texas to the Big 10? Huh?

AURex
02-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Story out of LJ World is that the Big 10 is making overtures to Texas as the next member of the Big 10. And as crazy as it seems at first thought, some columnists see some rationale for it -- both from the perspective of the Big 10 and from that of Texas.

Judge for yourself. Here are two articles:
LJ World (http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/feb/11/big-ten-making-overtures-texas/?sports/)
Birmingham News (http://blog.al.com/solomon/2010/02/report_texas_in_talks_with_big.html)

There is one reason that the columnists do not mention -- academics. The Big 10 is dominated by huge, academically top tier public universities -- Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio State are all among the best public universities in the country in terms of academics. Regional schools like Missouri, Pitt, Iowa State, etc, are just not in that league academically. Conversely, Texas is head and shoulders above all of the other Big 12 schools in terms of academics.

It makes sense that the presidents of the Big 10 schools would consider academics in the discussion -- as well as the huge potential profits that might accrue from adding Texas to their conference.

Before I read the articles, I thought the whole idea was hairbrained. Now I can see some rationale behind the idea.

But you know, if they are talking to Texas, why not also the other big, academically elite schools -- Cal and UCLA. Maybe it will become the Big 14.

Okay, the whole thing sounds farfetched.

But intriguing nonetheless. That would be one helluva conference.

:think:

solongseku
02-11-2010, 10:24 PM
I don't see why academics should be a part of this. This is for sports.

Storm
02-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Texas has absolutely nothing to gain by joining the Big 10

georgiaguy31015
02-11-2010, 10:37 PM
I don't see this happening and quiet frankly I'm stunned that the Big 10 is even trying but you gotta give them credit for that I guess.

boxvic
02-11-2010, 10:53 PM
I think there could potentially be a lot of money in the deal for Texas. I don't ever see it happening though.

WouldE
02-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Texas has absolutely nothing to gain by joining the Big 10

$$$$$$$$$$$

WouldE
02-11-2010, 11:04 PM
I like it for gaining a great football program, but just doesn't work for me geographically.

I'm crossing my fingers for ND, Nebraska, or WVU.

Storm
02-11-2010, 11:07 PM
when all you have to do is battle Oklahoma year in and year out, why would you want to move and deal with PSU, osu, Michigan, and Wisconsin every year?

AURex
02-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Membership in the Big 10 is way more than sports. They take their academics seriously. The presidents make the decisions. Sure, money is a big consideration. But I don't think they would ever let an academic lightweight like Iowa State into their ranks. Notre Dame, yes. Pitt maybe. Syracuse would be borderline.

Look at any rankings of academic institutions, like US News. Look at the Top 10, and other than the private schools like Harvard, Yale, Duke, Stanford, look at the public universities in the top 10.
Computer Engineering -- Illinois & Michigan -- and also Texas
Management -- Northwestern & Michigan
Marketing -- Northwestern, Michigan -- and there's Texas again
Executive MBA -- Northwestern & Michigan
Law -- Indiana & Northwestern
Chemical Engineering -- Minnesota, Wisconsin -- and there's Texas
Mechanical Engineering -- Illinois, Purdue, Michigan
Electrical Engineering -- Illinois, Purdue -- and there's Texas again
Industrial Engineering -- Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin
Nuclear Engineering -- Michigan, Wisconsin
Biological Engineering -- Illinois, Purdue
Aerospace Engineering -- Illinois, Michigan, Purdue -- and Texas
Psychology -- Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota (Texas is 12th)
Sociology -- Wisconsin, Michigan, Northwestern, Indiana
Economics -- Northwestern, Minnesota
Rural Medicine -- Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan State
Family Medicine -- Michigan, Wisconsin
Chemistry -- Illinois, Wisconsin, Northwestern
Computer Science -- Illinois -- and Texas
Physics -- Illinois
Earth Sciences -- Michigan - and Texas
Applied Mathematics -- Minnesota - and Texas
Artificial Intelligence -- Illinois - and Texas

I'm not saying academics would be the only, or even the most important, issue in selecting teams to add to the Big 10. But Big 10 presidents take academics *very* seriously, and Texas wold be a good fit academically, as well as a good choice for competitive and economic reasons.

The big obstacle would be regional proximity. How big a factor is that? I would have never thought of Texas as a choice, but apparently the Big 10 presidents are thinking outside the box.

Storm
02-11-2010, 11:16 PM
it's all moot and posturing. I suspect the BCS will go to some sort of tournament before the big 10 expands again.

AURex
02-11-2010, 11:18 PM
when all you have to do is battle Oklahoma year in and year out, why would you want to move and deal with PSU, osu, Michigan, and Wisconsin every year?

Money is one reason. According to the articles, the Big 10 schools all get substantially bigger payouts every year than Texas, and Texas gets the biggest payout in the Big 12.

Also academic prestige. Texas is sorta academically isolated. There are no other schools of its academic stature in the Big 12, or regionally. Big 10 is an elite academic community. That makes a difference in getting research grants.

Storm
02-11-2010, 11:19 PM
quit throwing all these facts out at me.......LOL

HailHail1997
02-12-2010, 02:53 AM
I'm somewhat confused as to why people are still even mentioning Texas for this...never gonna happen. Nevermind football, Texas is a national power in college baseball and moving to the Big Ten would be like Florida or Alabama moving to the MAC in football. HUGE dropoff there. Plus, Texas would be losing a lot of what makes them Texas (i.e., tradition and history in that region). What would they do about rivalry games like OU and A&M? No way they could play a Big Ten schedule AND play those team in the OOC schedule every year.

Missouri or Pitt, on the other hand, I could see. Texas? I would love for it to happen but come on...

REBEL5 AC
02-12-2010, 05:30 AM
Doesn't make sense geographically. Texas nor the Big 10 schools would want to travel all the way down here, or for us, all the way up there. Plus, as HH said, it would pretty much break off every rivalry we have. Not to mention Texas is the flagship program of the conference.

It would be fun to watch, though. Texas vs.Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State would be instant rivalries. Hell, Penn State still hates us.

georgiaguy31015
02-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Doesn't make sense geographically. Texas nor the Big 10 schools would want to travel all the way down here, or for us, all the way up there. Plus, as HH said, it would pretty much break off every rivalry we have. Not to mention Texas is the flagship program of the conference.

It would be fun to watch, though. Texas vs.Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State would be instant rivalries. Hell, Penn State still hates us.

Why does PSU hate yall?

Storm
02-12-2010, 07:53 AM
yeah, PSU and Texas have only played 5 times. I must be missing something to that story

Herchel
02-12-2010, 07:58 AM
How many tier I schools are in the SEC?

RedNekTiger
02-12-2010, 08:19 AM

Because it would be easier?

Storm
02-12-2010, 08:31 AM
oh, come on now RNT, you can't tell me that Oklahoma is better than ALL 4 of those teams year in and year out.

Herchel
02-12-2010, 08:34 AM
oh, come on now RNT, you can't tell me that Oklahoma is better than ALL 4 of those teams year in and year out.

Vandy is better.

Storm
02-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Lol............

RedNekTiger
02-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Maybe it isn't that outlandish. Texas did rise up to the Big 11 tradition of losing to the SEC in the National Title game.

Storm
02-12-2010, 09:01 AM
don't lump all of us in with osu's lack of success vs the SEC

IllinoisDawg63
02-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Despite what maybe Big 10 people think or want Texas to join, I simply don't like this move. Yea, it's all about money and where would Texas gain anyhow? Second, it takes a whole lot away from the Red River Shootout-yea, they could still have the game, but it adds alot when the two are in the same division of the Big 12.

REBEL5 AC
02-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Why does PSU hate yall?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_Texas_vs._Arkansas_football_game#Controversy

There you go. That explains it. I'm not in the mood to type about it. :)

Storm
02-12-2010, 11:06 AM
figured it had something to do with a NC somewhere.

joehogjoe
02-12-2010, 11:18 AM
think of all the natural rivalries.

Can't you see it.

Dude what are you doing this weekend.
Oh Man I'm staying in to watch the Texas Indiana football game.
Awesome, man I hate those hoosiers.

or

Hey man I am taking off right after work on Friday I'm heading to Ann Arbor for the Texas game.
How far is it exactly from New Braunfels to Ann Arbor anyways.
Just under 1500 miles, not to far.

ECDawg78
02-12-2010, 11:23 AM
it's all moot and posturing. I suspect the BCS will go to some sort of tournament before the big 10 expands again.

This is Texas posturing for a bigger slice of the Big 12 money pie.......the TV contract for the Big 12 expires in the next year and Texas is doing this dance now with the Big 10 to get that bigger slice.........this is equal to Bud Foster's dance with Mark Richt to sweeten his deal at Virginia Tech......the Big 10 is going to expand......but it will either be Missouri or Pittsburgh........

Storm
02-12-2010, 12:47 PM
that too

AURex
02-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Well, personally, I also see it as extremely unlikely that Texas would join the Big 10.

But the idea of a conference that is not created by regional proximity, but instead by schools that are selected specifically to build a powerful conference, regardless of location, is pretty interesting. And since the Big East now extends as far south as Florida and as far West as Louisville, why not a "super conference of powerhouse schools?

I used to think it would be more fair to have a conference made up entirely of private universities -- maybe like Vandy, Northwestern, Duke, Stanford, etc. Those teams often have a hard time competing in their current conferences. I thought they'd be better of playing against each other rather than the Alabamas and Ohio States of the country.

joehogjoe
02-12-2010, 01:23 PM
If texass doesn't go I hear the that Big 10 is looking at Hawaii next.

AURex
02-12-2010, 02:03 PM
How many tier I schools are in the SEC?

I assume you mean other than football, where SEC is indeed supreme.

Academically?

None. I think I saw UF in the top 10 in one academic area once. In the south, the schools that do show up enough to be noticed are Duke, UNC and Texas. SEC schools are pretty much just middle of the pack academically, not among the elite, but certainly not the worst.

However, the SEC schools are top tier in regards to women. Having put in some time at universities in the West, Southwest, East and Midwest, I can attest to the fact that we have it all over those other conferences in the coed hotness competition, our only competitor being the Pac 10.

CaribbeanTide
02-12-2010, 10:10 PM
However, the SEC schools are top tier in regards to women. Having put in some time at universities in the West, Southwest, East and Midwest, I can attest to the fact that we have it all over those other conferences in the coed hotness competition, our only competitor being the Pac 10.Indeed. Watch any Big East/Big 10 basketball game on ESPN these days and the cheerleader and crowd shots will make you realize how spoiled we are in that regard.

IllinoisDawg63
02-12-2010, 10:30 PM
If texass doesn't go I hear the that Big 10 is looking at Hawaii next.you need to change your name to "joe comedian" for that!!

:sarcasm:

AURex
02-13-2010, 09:35 AM
IllinoisDawg, what part of Illinois do you live in? I was on campus at Urbana-Champaign for some years. Spent a lot of time in Chicago, as it was an easy drive and even in winter an easy Amtrak ride.

Herchel
02-14-2010, 09:19 AM
I assume you mean other than football, where SEC is indeed supreme.

Academically?

None. I think I saw UF in the top 10 in one academic area once. In the south, the schools that do show up enough to be noticed are Duke, UNC and Texas. SEC schools are pretty much just middle of the pack academically, not among the elite, but certainly not the worst.

However, the SEC schools are top tier in regards to women. Having put in some time at universities in the West, Southwest, East and Midwest, I can attest to the fact that we have it all over those other conferences in the coed hotness competition, our only competitor being the Pac 10.

I know that Vandy, UF, and UGA are. I was thinking there were one or two more.

MITHOG
02-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Membership in the Big 10 is way more than sports. They take their academics seriously. The presidents make the decisions.

...But Big 10 presidents take academics *very* seriously, and Texas wold be a good fit academically, as well as a good choice for competitive and economic reasons.

The big obstacle would be regional proximity. How big a factor is that? I would have never thought of Texas as a choice, but apparently the Big 10 presidents are thinking outside the box.

Maybe MIT has a shot at the BIG TEN if Texas doesn't go!!! Woot Woot

Bubba
02-14-2010, 11:04 AM

Arkansas.

WouldE
02-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Nebraska would be AWESOME.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/12/nebraska-to-big-ten-dont-forget-about-us/

REBEL5 AC
02-14-2010, 11:37 AM
I'd hate for Nubby to leave. I love playing them. Amazing fans.

AURex
02-14-2010, 12:40 PM

I was looking at the latest rankings in US News. There are other rankings, like Kiplinger "best values" and Forbes for general undergraduate education mostly in the humanities and social sciences (lots of small colleges and private schools in that ranking).

Here are the US News rankings in the major subject areas

Sciences (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools)
Business (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools)
Engineering (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/index.html#)
Social Sciences & Humanities (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-humanities-schools)
Health (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools)
Education (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-education-schools)

etc ....

I saw SEC schools in a couple of subject areas (Vandy's Peabody School in areas of Education, UF in a couple of types of engineering). But I see Big 10 schools in the Top 10 of almost every subject area.

In terms of overall rankings, SEC schools show up as:
Vandy - 17
UF - 47
UGA - 58
Auburn - 88
Bama - 96
UT - 106
USC - 110
UKY - 128 (tie)
Arkansas - 128 (tie)
LSU - 128 (tie)
128 is the lowest actual ranking given by US News. Ole Miss and MSU fall into tier 3 - i.e., ranked below 128

You can look up any school in their rankings by name or by state here:
US News Rank List (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings)

Just Some Hog Dude
02-14-2010, 05:43 PM
This is what the preliminary exchanges consisted of I suspect. Big Ten people call Texas. Texas people laugh and hang up. I suppose Nebraska would be a better fit. That would really make the Big 12 north lame. I suppose we could always defect there and replace them if SEC officials make us mad enough ala another Florida debacle.

Bubba
02-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Jshd, no matter how disrespected Arkansas is, or how bad the refs work against us, the sec is the best fit for us.

Just Some Hog Dude
02-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Jshd, no matter how disrespected Arkansas is, or how bad the refs work against us, the sec is the best fit for us.

We will not be continually cheated like that when we have other options though. We had a football program before the SEC you know, it was one of the best in the country. Ditto for mens basketball, baseball and track. It is not like we have to be in the SEC to have success.

GatorMan32
02-14-2010, 11:15 PM
I was looking at the latest rankings in US News. There are other rankings, like Kiplinger "best values" and Forbes for general undergraduate education mostly in the humanities and social sciences (lots of small colleges and private schools in that ranking).

Here are the US News rankings in the major subject areas

Sciences (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools)
Business (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools)
Engineering (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/index.html#)
Social Sciences & Humanities (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-humanities-schools)
Health (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools)
Education (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-education-schools)

etc ....

I saw SEC schools in a couple of subject areas (Vandy's Peabody School in areas of Education, UF in a couple of types of engineering). But I see Big 10 schools in the Top 10 of almost every subject area.

In terms of overall rankings, SEC schools show up as:
Vandy - 17
UF - 47
UGA - 58
Auburn - 88
Bama - 96
UT - 106
USC - 110
UKY - 128 (tie)
Arkansas - 128 (tie)
LSU - 128 (tie)
128 is the lowest actual ranking given by US News. Ole Miss and MSU fall into tier 3 - i.e., ranked below 128

You can look up any school in their rankings by name or by state here:
US News Rank List (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings)

I believe we're a top 10 in public schools, tier 1 and someone, can't remember who but was a major publication, recently named UF the top value because its a very good degree and much more affordable than a number of other places apparently. Don't think we have anything to apologize for.

Bubba
02-14-2010, 11:43 PM
I agree. IMO it's not a good move.

The only way to beat the refs and gain any respect in the sec is through brute force. Petrino is here to build that monster. The chickens have come home to roost jshd!

Wps! Ghg!

WouldE
02-15-2010, 11:17 AM
LOL, the ArKansas fans here remind me of Penn State fans. Always thinking there's some type of conspiracy against them because of some bad call the refs had years ago.

Just Some Hog Dude
02-15-2010, 11:31 AM
LOL, the ArKansas fans here remind me of Penn State fans. Always thinking there's some type of conspiracy against them because of some bad call the refs had years ago.

I take it you didn't see the game. It was a series of horrible calls not one bad call.

joehogjoe
02-18-2010, 10:29 AM
like your team doesn't bit** and moan at every call that doesn't go its way. :cry::cry::cry:

Abbott
06-03-2010, 07:27 AM
i think that there could potentially be a lot of money in the deal for Texas. I don't ever see it happening though.did any one saw??