What's Happened to Texas? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : What's Happened to Texas?

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Remember in the 2003 season when Bama rose to #1 in December? Then they proceeded to barely make it into the NCAAT.

I'm not comparing Texas to that Bama team, but ever since they were #1 they've imploded. They've lost like 4 of 5, including today against an Oklahoma team that's had an all-season long identity crisis.

To me, part of the problem is Dexter Pittman can't consistently stay out of foul trouble. Also, it's great to be 13 deep, but I think they need to tighten that rotation, so guys can get more comfortable playing with each other. Right now, it seems like they are struggling because they do play so many different lineups.

They can turn it around. Damion James may be the best BCS level rebounder in the country. And, they have options. What do you expect from them in the NCAAT?

georgiaguy31015
02-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure what the deal is with Texas nor what to think of them. I could see them going really far in the tourney or being out in the first weekend. I just don't know.

Urb Gruber
02-06-2010, 11:59 PM
You said it Kentubby, #1 happened to Texas. They aren't even remotely the same team since they got there.

Djshockley3
02-07-2010, 12:03 AM
I have no idea, was just thinking this today.

XPS
02-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Peaked to early?

UK'sRash
02-07-2010, 12:29 AM
They are too deep. When you use 10 guys its hard to establish some good chemistry on the floor. If they could tighten the rotation down they would be better, imo.

GR8NESS
02-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Texas could be a dangerous opponent in that 8/9 game. Hope we avoid them. :P

weegeman
02-07-2010, 09:22 AM
I think these losses bode well for Texas against Kansas tomorrow night. Kansas has been narrowly escaping a lot lately and I think Texas will take them down.

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Brummett, Texas hasn't dropped so much to where they will be an 8/9 team. They aren't the bad. 8/9 might be for a team on the level of Ole Miss, or at least that's the case in the past (like UT and LSU last year).

Rash, I'm with you. They are too deep. That's a point I was making earlier. Talent is great, but nobody plays 9 or 10 guys in the NCAAT.

GR8NESS
02-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Brummett, Texas hasn't dropped so much to where they will be an 8/9 team. They aren't the bad. 8/9 might be for a team on the level of Ole Miss, or at least that's the case in the past (like UT and LSU last year).

Duh. I'm not a basketball tard. Hence why I put ":P" at the end.

REBEL5 AC
02-11-2010, 12:59 AM
We don't have a good point guard. Dogus Balbay bring nothing to the table offensively. Teams can just play him loose from the paint and out because he can't shoot the ball. He's a shutdown defender, though. J'Covan Brown shows flashes but is really inconsistent and obviously Jai Lucas isn't impressing Barnes enough to play him more. I think our best lineup would be:

PG - J'Covan Brown
SG - Avery Bradley
SF - Damion James
PF - Gary Johnson
C - Dexter Pittman

I'd be shocked if that wasn't the lineup against Nubby, considering the way J'Covan played against Kansas.

I'll tell you why we're slumping - Jordan Hamilton and free throw shooting. Those two things are why we've lost 5 games this year. I can't tell you how many times Hamilton has totally **** on our chances at decreasing leads in games. Great talent, just takes horrible shots at the worst times. As for free throws, LOL. It's laughable how bad we are at this. We missed SEVENTEEN FT's against OU. That why I don't think we're going far in the NCAA's.

Djshockley3
02-11-2010, 04:47 AM
Drake.

Dr.SwineSmeller
02-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Texas is notorious for falling off the truck when it comes to basketball. They can have the best front line in the game and still they will find a way to sh!t the bed. :doh:

SS

rolling baby
02-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Remember in the 2003 season when Bama rose to #1 in December? Then they proceeded to barely make it into the NCAAT.

I'm not comparing Texas to that Bama team, but ever since they were #1 they've imploded. They've lost like 4 of 5, including today against an Oklahoma team that's had an all-season long identity crisis.

To me, part of the problem is Dexter Pittman can't consistently stay out of foul trouble. Also, it's great to be 13 deep, but I think they need to tighten that rotation, so guys can get more comfortable playing with each other. Right now, it seems like they are struggling because they do play so many different lineups.

They can turn it around. Damion James may be the best BCS level rebounder in the country. And, they have options. What do you expect from them in the NCAAT?

Both Mark Gotfired and Rick Barnes are Wimp Sanderson guys, so you might be onto something.

Btw, Bama #1 debacle was due to Mo Williams being such a ball hog. Bama's offense was garbage with him running pt.

REBEL5 AC
02-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Texas is notorious for falling off the truck when it comes to basketball. They can have the best front line in the game and still they will find a way to sh!t the bed. :doh:

SS

We never had a truck to fall of of until Coach Barnes got here. I think we would have won the NC in 2003 if it wasn't for 'Melo.

joehogjoe
02-12-2010, 10:36 AM
yeah but you didn't. f**K tex@$s

rolling baby
02-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Auburn could've also won the NC if it wasn't for 'melo.....LOL

kentubbybasketball
02-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Plenty of people would have won the national championship in 2003 if it wasn't for 'Melo. FWIW, Kentucky was by far the best team in the nation that year. 19-0 in the SEC and a 26 game winning streak, which was the best win streak for the previous 7 years. We lost Keith Bogans to an injury in the Sweet 16 (thanks Kirk Penney) and Dwayne Wade happened in the next round in the Elite 8.

I thought Mo Williams left Bama in 2002, so he wasn't there in 2003?

rolling baby
02-12-2010, 05:30 PM
He was still at Bama, bruh. 02-03 was his last year.

UK'sRash
03-06-2010, 05:32 PM
So texas is probably going to lose to baylor today. So they went from being one of the top tier teams in the nation to not in the top 25. That blows my mind.

georgiaguy31015
03-06-2010, 08:37 PM
So texas is probably going to lose to baylor today. So they went from being one of the top tier teams in the nation to not in the top 25. That blows my mind.

You are right they lost to Baylor today and I too am shocked at their fall.

kentubbybasketball
03-06-2010, 10:30 PM

It certainly was a fast implosion. Reminiscent of Bama reaching #1 in 2003, and lucking into the NCAAT.