Unc [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Unc

kentubbybasketball
02-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Another loss last night to UVa. 2-4 in ACC and 13-8 overall. How much capital did they earn with those wins over the two best Big Ten teams (Ohio State and Michigan State)?

A few years ago there was three top tier coaches that had never played in the NIT: Tubby Smith, Lute Olson, and Roy Williams. Tubby went to it in his first year at Minnesota, and Lute retired having never gone... could this be Roy's year? Some projections have them out.

steelyvan
02-01-2010, 04:25 PM
UNC lost again!? At home even?! Huh....go figure. Wonder what that means?

Seriously, kt, it happened to Florida and other defending champs. No reason it can't happen to UNC.

kentubbybasketball
02-01-2010, 04:37 PM
When when you consider they brought in 5 frosh all ranked in the top 70, not to mention returned some good players in Ed Davis, Deon Thompson, Larry Drew, Will Graves, and Marcus Ginyard, I am surprised that's not enough to be beating a very bad (on paper) Virginia team.

steelyvan
02-01-2010, 05:36 PM
their 5 were not as good as your 3!
UNC teams seem to do their best when their players have been together for awhile. Still, I am not too sure about this group.

dnmuga93
02-01-2010, 05:40 PM
This group is just not jelling, especially in the backcourt.

UNC gets killed if the other team has even average guard play.

kentubbybasketball
02-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't think Graves and Ginyard are providing the leadership that's needed. It's easy to lay this at the feet of Drew, but everybody knew he'd be a step down.

The great thing for UNC is that they have one of the three best classes coming in next year, but those guys gotta be better than their press clippings (unlike this year's class). John Henson has almost been a no show.

OffThePorch
02-01-2010, 07:17 PM
ever since Roy had that fan thrown out for booing... bad karma...

SkyAntoine
02-01-2010, 09:38 PM
ever since Roy had that fan thrown out for booing... bad karma...
A greater truth has never been said.:rotf:

They're a train wreck this year. Absolutely no reason for them to be playing as badly as they are unless there is no chemistry for whatever reason. What do they have...7 McDonald's AA's?

georgiaguy31015
02-01-2010, 09:49 PM
I don't think UNC gets into the tourney unless they catch fire and based on what I've seen from this team which has been very little I'm not sure it's possible that they could catch fire.

kentubbybasketball
02-02-2010, 04:41 PM
I think UNC will be in the NCAAT. I just don't see how they won't figure this out. Ultimately, talent will prevail and as Sky has said, they have that in high supply. They do need to get over .500 in the ACC or at least only be one game under... right now they are 2-4.

GR8NESS
02-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Do yourself a favor and visit InsideCarolina's message boards.:D Good stuff and ol' Roy is getting ROASTED. Deservedly so- he's stubborn, arrogant, phony, a pu$$y and a complete douche, BUT this is the same Carolina fanbase that is "more than just about winning". The guy's won as many titles for them as St. Dean and is so dadgum pious that he refuses to recruit the likes of John Wall and CJ Leslie, but even that's not good enough for UNC fan. Apparently, the Carolina Way is a farce. Apparently, their fanbase is just like EVERYONE ELSES's!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Go touch yourself UNC fans. Eat a fat one Roy. Kiss my ass, Dean. I hope you never win another game.

georgiaguy31015
02-05-2010, 07:09 AM
I think UNC will be in the NCAAT. I just don't see how they won't figure this out. Ultimately, talent will prevail and as Sky has said, they have that in high supply. They do need to get over .500 in the ACC or at least only be one game under... right now they are 2-4.

I don't know man they lost to VT last night. It's not looking good for them not looking good at all.

kentubbybasketball
02-05-2010, 03:33 PM
True, but all things considered Va Tech has only lose 4 times this year, so it's not a bad loss. It's more bad because they are 2-5 in the ACC right now. The best they can do is 11-5 & even with wins over MSU and OSU (the best two B10 teams), I'm not sure if that's enough for them.

steelyvan
02-05-2010, 05:08 PM
kt, I think Wisconsin was actually the best B10 team until one of their big forwards went down to injury. Now it's hard to tell.

kentubbybasketball
02-05-2010, 06:01 PM
I disagree. I've always felt like Michigan State was the best team in the league, even when Purdue was undefeated on the season. Not only are they returning everybody but Suton and Walton from a team that was 40 minutes away from a national title, but they were the lone remaining undefeated team in B10 play until Wisconsin beat them by like 19 at Kohl. But, let's admit Lucas got hurt in that game (only a sprained ankle for now).

Wisconin is without Jon Leuer, but they had struggled at times even with him. I'll never discount a Bo Ryan team, but now that Ohio State has Evan Turner back, I can't overlook them.

The Big Ten has been hit with injuries and player issues all year more than any conference seemingly. Lucas is hurt for Michigan State, Leuer is out for Wisconsin, Coble has been out the entire season for Northwester, Indiana has lost Maurice Creek, Minnesota has had two recruits not play all season long in Trevor Mbakwe and Royce White, etc. It's been a tough year for the league.

But, FWIW, you said way back in November or December that Purdue was the best. I'm not sure why you won't give Michigan State their due.

steelyvan
02-05-2010, 06:40 PM
I said PU was the best? I don't think so. Maybe they had the highest ranking or best record. But I have never said PU was the best. I would easily pick MSU above them.

kentubbybasketball
02-05-2010, 06:42 PM
No, I remember that's what you said, and your reasoning was because they were the best "right now" because Purdue had no losses and MSU already had 3. I remember, because we argued about it, because I love my Spartans and readily defend them.

georgiaguy31015
02-05-2010, 08:46 PM
True, but all things considered Va Tech has only lose 4 times this year, so it's not a bad loss. It's more bad because they are 2-5 in the ACC right now. The best they can do is 11-5 & even with wins over MSU and OSU (the best two B10 teams), I'm not sure if that's enough for them.

If they can do that I think that will be enough to get them in but I don't think they can do that.

steelyvan
02-05-2010, 09:46 PM
i kinda remember some of this kt, but not the complete context. and posting in other threads and perhaps other boards i have been critical of PU's high rankings. Regardless, the B10 remains in flux.

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Yet another loss for UNC. This time it's Maryland that got them, and Maryland beat them by 21 or so. Crazy.

2-6 in the ACC now for UNC. They're gonna have to win the ACC tournament or at least make the finals IMO.

jh4uk
02-10-2010, 11:03 PM
:rotf::rotf::rotf: those fools just got beat again by puke. i love it.

kentubbybasketball
02-10-2010, 11:09 PM
... and Tyler Hansbrough had a good seat to see it.

georgiaguy31015
02-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Take it for what it's worth but Jay Bilas just said that he doesn't see NC pulling out of this funk this season. Next season yes but not this one.

jh4uk
02-21-2010, 12:26 AM
here's the thing that get's me about unc. they have 7 mickey d's, if i'm not wrong on there roster. now don't get me wrong i'm loving the fact that they are losing... but i just don't get it. any way keep getting the L's tarheels, we are just making the gap bigger.

weegeman
02-21-2010, 01:45 AM
Does anyone know the current stats? How many games back of UNC is Kansas?

kentubbybasketball
02-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Well, I wanna say Kansas was like 24 wins behind UNC to begin the season. UNC still hasn't reached 2000 and KU could overtake them this season. UNC is 14-13. Billy Gillispie would've even Roy to 2000 this season.

About the 7 McD AA. In defense of UNC, I think UK could be in a similar boat someday with Cal. It's hard to reload every year. At some point you might get a mix of talented guys that don't make a solid team. You never know what you go until it's there.

jh4uk
02-24-2010, 09:38 PM
:clap::clap::clap: the heels lost again to fsu. awsome!!!

REBEL5 AC
02-24-2010, 10:55 PM
I guess that's the last we'll see of the silver UNC jerseys.

All you have to do is look at their roster and see why they're struggling. They've got 4 Seniors and Juniors. The rest of the team is made up of Freshmen and Sophomores. Kentucky has a lot of Freshmen and Sophomores, but they've got a leader in Patrick Patterson and a leader beyond his years in John Wall. UNC has neither. Dexter Strickland still needs a lot of work and so do the rest of the UNC Freshmen and Sophomores. They're going through what Kansas did last year, but for UNC it's a lot worse.

GR8NESS
02-25-2010, 12:08 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4386352862_78ea8c6c40.jpg

steelyvan
02-25-2010, 08:15 AM
Brum, good find on that pic. I did not realize how fickle UNC fans are. Defending NC's and a rare rebuilding year and that is what you get?

GR8NESS
02-25-2010, 09:02 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/4386352430_7fa06cd3fc.jpg

SkyAntoine
02-25-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm loving this...
http://420.thrashbarg.net/epic_fail_on_rails_train_containers.jpg

kentubbybasketball
02-25-2010, 03:24 PM
I guess that's the last we'll see of the silver UNC jerseys.

All you have to do is look at their roster and see why they're struggling. They've got 4 Seniors and Juniors. The rest of the team is made up of Freshmen and Sophomores. Kentucky has a lot of Freshmen and Sophomores, but they've got a leader in Patrick Patterson and a leader beyond his years in John Wall. UNC has neither. Dexter Strickland still needs a lot of work and so do the rest of the UNC Freshmen and Sophomores. They're going through what Kansas did last year, but for UNC it's a lot worse.

Only one of these teams though has a 5th year seniors, and it's UNC. Not only do they have Ginyard, but they have Deon Thompson who was a starter last year. Simply put, Cal has done a better job assembling his team together than ole Roy.

kentubbybasketball
02-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Of the big 3 in wins, who would have thought only UNC would have won today (and not Kansas or Kentucky).