Michigan knocks off #15 UConn [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Michigan knocks off #15 UConn

Storm
01-17-2010, 03:59 PM
ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP)—Zack Novak made a tiebreaking 3-pointer with 1 1/2 minutes left and Manny Harris followed with a layup to lift Michigan a 68-63 win over No. 15 Connecticut on Sunday.

Harris finished with 18 points for the Wolverines (10-7), who earned the signature win they needed in a season that started with them ranked 15th, coming off their first NCAA tournament bid since 1998.

The Huskies (11-6) have lost three straight for the first time since closing the 2006-07 season with four losses.

Connecticut’s Kemba Walker had 15, Gavin Edwards scored 14, Jerome Dyson had 13 and Stanley Robinson added 11.

The Huskies struggled at the free-throw line, missing four in the last 45 seconds and going 16 of 25 overall. Dyson, the team’s leading scorer, was 5 of 16 from the field and 2 for 5 at the line.

Harris has played well all season for Michigan. For a change, he got plenty of help.

Stu Douglass scored 13 points—making three 3-pointers—Novak had 10 points. DeShawn Sims had eight points and 11 rebounds while dealing with foul trouble and Anthony Wright nearly doubled his season high with nine points.

Novak’s clutch 3-pointer put Michigan ahead 61-58. He also made two free throws in the final minute to seal the victory that led to a fired-up crowd rushing the court.

Harris opened the second half with a putback to put the Wolverines up by 11. Connecticut responded with a 16-5 run that Edwards capped with back-to-back baskets.

Both teams took turns with the lead and Novak provided a boost by swatting an alley-oop pass by the Huskies and scoring on an offensive rebound putback on the ensuing possession.

The Wolverines fell behind 12-6, but quickly showed they had enough talent and confidence to win the game.

Douglass made consecutive 3-pointers to tie it and Michigan led 32-23 at halftime.

Huge win for the Wolverines. These are the games that will help come selection Sunday if UM is on the bubble, which they probably will be.

weegeman
01-17-2010, 04:42 PM
So which six loss team is worse: UNC, UCONN, or U of Smell? Who would have ever thought they would have 18 losses combined at this point in the season...

georgiaguy31015
01-17-2010, 04:44 PM
So which six loss team is worse: UNC, UCONN, or U of Smell? Who would have ever thought they would have 18 losses combined at this point in the season...

Of that crew I'd say Louisville is the worst of those three. As for Michigan winning today congrats Storm.

scgamecock312
01-17-2010, 05:06 PM
That is a huge win for Belein (however you spell it) and crew.

GR8NESS
01-17-2010, 05:14 PM
I honestly think Louisville is the best, followed by UCONN and then UNC.

bleedorange1983
01-17-2010, 05:37 PM
UCONN and UNC kind of linger in the top 15 for some reason, despite them losing.

kentubbybasketball
01-18-2010, 09:00 AM
I got to catch the game. Michigan won due to Dyson's foul trouble in the first half, he only played three minutes. UConn did a nice job to get back into the game after being down 9. I'm not ever gonna cry when UConn loses though... it's my least favorite team in the country.

Of those six loss teams. It's hard to say. Each of them obviously have glaring problems. UofL gets inconsisent guard play and the post players just aren't as athletic as typical, but they sure shoot well. UNC has issues with Larry Drew right now, and McDonald/Strickland just aren't getting the job done at the 2, while Ginyard seems to be fading. And, with UConn they just don't shoot the ball with any good precision.

I'd take UConn first though, because I think they have something they can hang their head on when the going gets tough and that's perimeter defense galore.

georgiaguy31015
01-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Just curious KT, what do you have against UCONN?

kentubbybasketball
01-18-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't like Jim Calhoun. Can't stand him. A few years ago his team was in danger of missing the NCAAT, and people were blaming it on him playing a soft OOC schedule. In response to one reporter, he took at shot at Kentucky and said we didn't want to play them and he said our offense sucked. Whether we wanted to play him or not, he's been known from running away from opponents (think UMass when Calipari was coach), so he's a HYPOCRITE.

georgiaguy31015
01-18-2010, 10:45 AM
I don't like Jim Calhoun. Can't stand him. A few years ago his team was in danger of missing the NCAAT, and people were blaming it on him playing a soft OOC schedule. In response to one reporter, he took at shot at Kentucky and said we didn't want to play them and he said our offense sucked. Whether we wanted to play him or not, he's been known from running away from opponents (think UMass when Calipari was coach), so he's a HYPOCRITE.

Thanks for the info man. I didn't know about any of that.

kentubbybasketball
01-18-2010, 10:49 AM
What I don't get is. He's making an excuse saying that his schedule wasn't more difficult because UK didn't wish to play them, but in the next breath he says our offense isn't good... how is that gonna make his schedule tougher, playing a team that can't score? I'm glad Tubby Smith took the high road and ended up looking like the better person in this, which he is anyway.

I hope the Big East continues to rip Calhoun a new one. 2 game losing streak I believe (including this loss).