UNC looks terrible this year [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : UNC looks terrible this year

VanderbiltPride
01-16-2010, 02:26 PM
They are really struggling right now against Georgia Tech on their home court

ukbballfan4u
01-16-2010, 02:36 PM
They dont have really good guard play this year. You have to have that in college ball these days.

steelyvan
01-16-2010, 04:22 PM
nice comeback vs GTech but couldn't finish.

georgiaguy31015
01-16-2010, 04:25 PM
It was a nice comeback and a game I was hoping UNC would win but you are right UNC isn't very good for some reason. I wonder if it's because they are young but then again that may be a stupid way to think on my part.

kentubbybasketball
01-16-2010, 05:08 PM
I hate to pin it on somebody, but Larry Drew has really let them down in some key spots in a few of these games. He's a solid player and great normally, but in a close game (like against Tech today), he gets a little shaky.

I also think Marcus Ginyard as a 5 year senior has got to make his presence a lot more known.

Will Graves did what he could to get UNC back into the game.

dnmuga93
01-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Carolina's PG play is going to be our Achilles Heel this season.

OffThePorch
01-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Its bad karma.. ever since Roy Williams had that guy thrown out ...

XPS
01-17-2010, 12:13 AM
His roster has

Five 5 Star players..

Five 4 Star players...

No excuses for UNC to be struggling like this...

kentubbybasketball
01-17-2010, 03:15 PM
XPS. Stars aren't everything. You're looking blindly at stars and just assuming a team should be good based off of that. Some guys are overrated to begin with, that happens when you say you're going to UNC, Duke, Kansas, etc. But, also, getting 5 stars means nothing if you can't piece the team together. A team is a collection of individuals.

If stars meant everything Billy D would've won his two national titles with his more talented rosters, and Ben Howland wouldn't be struggling at UCLA at the moment.

I still don't count UNC out. Wouldn't surprise me if Roy put it together and got them to the Final Four for an eighth time in his career.

XPS
01-17-2010, 03:48 PM
XPS. Stars aren't everything. You're looking blindly at stars and just assuming a team should be good based off of that. Some guys are overrated to begin with, that happens when you say you're going to UNC, Duke, Kansas, etc. But, also, getting 5 stars means nothing if you can't piece the team together. A team is a collection of individuals.

If stars meant everything Billy D would've won his two national titles with his more talented rosters, and Ben Howland wouldn't be struggling at UCLA at the moment.

I still don't count UNC out. Wouldn't surprise me if Roy put it together and got them to the Final Four for an eighth time in his career.

I know Morgan was a 5 star player, who else? Ed Davis was projected a lottery pick KT. It starts with the head coach and Roy isn't getting done at the moment...

kentubbybasketball
01-17-2010, 04:10 PM
XPS, all season long you've talked about how Roy was the best coach in the nation. While I have never said that, I won't argue it. Now, I don't know what's changed. If you based him being the best coach in the nation off of his success, that past success has not and will not change. Roy being 12-6 doesn't mean he's not getting the job done. Only one coach in the country has won over 82% of his games afterall. Roy is gonna figure this out. His team isn't downright bad now. THey're just getting off to poor starts (Clemson and Ga Tech this past week). If they can withstand the opponent's first half run, they'll start winning games again. I just don't believe in kicking somebody when they're down, unless they are really and clearly and visibly down and UNC just isn't that down to me. They'll make the NCAAT and probably even the second weekend.

XPS
01-17-2010, 04:18 PM
XPS, all season long you've talked about how Roy was the best coach in the nation. While I have never said that, I won't argue it. Now, I don't know what's changed. If you based him being the best coach in the nation off of his success, that past success has not and will not change. Roy being 12-6 doesn't mean he's not getting the job done. Only one coach in the country has won over 82% of his games afterall. Roy is gonna figure this out. His team isn't downright bad now. THey're just getting off to poor starts (Clemson and Ga Tech this past week). If they can withstand the opponent's first half run, they'll start winning games again. I just don't believe in kicking somebody when they're down, unless they are really and clearly and visibly down and UNC just isn't that down to me. They'll make the NCAAT and probably even the second weekend.

Things change and Roy deserves criticize thus far.

UK'sRash
01-17-2010, 04:21 PM
In UNC's defense. 5 of 6 losses are against ranked teams.

deterp
01-17-2010, 05:26 PM
In UNC's defense. 5 of 6 losses are against ranked teams.

A number 1 (or maybe 2) team should not be losing to a 15 or 12 or 8 or whatever team 5 out of 6 times.
Perhaps UNC is, much like Duque, perpetually o-ver ray-ted? ;)

georgiaguy31015
01-17-2010, 05:43 PM
A number 1 (or maybe 2) team should not be losing to a 15 or 12 or 8 or whatever team 5 out of 6 times.

Or maybe actually more than likely they are having a down year. We all have them even the mighty terps. There's no way they are perpetually overrated. That would imply they were overrated last year right? They won the national title last year too right?

GR8NESS
01-17-2010, 06:21 PM

Seven losses in the two years prior to this would tend to make an argument against that.

dnmuga93
01-17-2010, 08:23 PM

Quit voicing your wishes, Terp. UNC is not a 1 or a 2 this season. We are just too young in the wrong places (PG and SG). CBB is a guard game, and ours are young and immature.

Hopefully, they will learn from their current tribulations and continue to grow and make themselves into a force come March.

kentubbybasketball
01-18-2010, 08:36 AM
I don't see how a team that's won 2 of the last 5 national titles with two separate rosters is overrated. Wow, just wow.

kentubbybasketball
01-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Things change and Roy deserves criticize thus far.

It's crazy how 6 losses in a season can change an opinion so suddenly. That's all I'm saying.

deterp
01-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Look, the Terps will be fortunate to even get to the dance this year. We're young, we have to depend too much on Grevias, we play like we're riding a roller coaster. I admit that fully.

kentubbybasketball
01-19-2010, 04:40 PM
How young is Maryland though? Their best player is a senior. Hayes is a senior. Milbourne is a senior. The only place where Maryland is truly young is inside with Padgett and the other freshman post whose name escapes me.

deterp
01-20-2010, 06:51 AM
It's Williams.

Problem is that our bench is young (relatively). All it takes is one too many fouls or a case of flu or someone landing on a foot the wrong way and....
The comforting thing is that Gary is still able to take kids UNC and Duque and others "disdain" and turn them into contenders at least. Small comfort, but comfort none the less.
We shall see what transpires in the ACC this season. Should prove interesting if nothing else. ;)