Michigan [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Michigan

kentubbybasketball
01-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Storm, I'm not trying to yank your chain, but I'm really interested to see what people think about Michigan athletics. You took two West Virginia coaches and both are sorta struggling. RichRod didn't have a good year and John Beilen just lost to a good Northwestern team at home. With the new AD could you see them being in some trouble soon?

Storm
01-10-2010, 03:56 PM
By getting the bball team to the Dance last season for the first time in like 10 years, I think Beilein has some room to work. This is only his third season, so I would like to see them give him a little more time. He runs a clean program, and after the Ed Martin thing, I think that's pretty important right now.

The football program, on the other hand, I think this is a make or break year for Rich Rod. Anything short of a bowl berth will probably spell doom for Rich Rod. There's also the pending investigation going on into allegations of to much practice. *practice? we talkin bout practice* I believe there is a clause in Rich Rods contract saying UM can fire him for any type of major violations, so if NCAA drops some sort of hammer, it could be the excuse the university uses to just drop him and call it a failed experiment.

The new AD is a true "Michigan Man." He played football under Bo. He's different than the last guy because he's an actual atheletics first type of guy. Bill Martin was all about improving facilities and making money, which was great, but obviously some programs suffered because of his lack of knoweledge.

SkyAntoine
01-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Michigan has had a team since the Fab Five?

Storm
01-10-2010, 06:35 PM
not really......

kentubbybasketball
01-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I'm surpised Tommy Amaker got 10 years with no NCAAT invite ever, especially since Brian Ellerby got the axe after what like 5 years, if that?

Storm
01-10-2010, 11:26 PM
I think Amaker only got 7, but again, he ran the program clean, and that's what they were looking for. I think now they are ready to move on and try and start winning again.

steelyvan
01-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Amaker inherited a mess, stabilized the program but could not get it to the next level. Learned from the experience and is doing a great job at Harvard. They should televise the Harvard-Cornell match-up.

Storm
01-11-2010, 01:42 AM
yes, what Amaker did was much appreciated. coming in after all that was not easy. He was successful at Seton Hall, and for what he came into, he was fairly successful at Michigan. I'm glad to see him doing well at Harvard. He is a class act.

kentubbybasketball
01-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Beilen got extended to 2016 today. Interesting timing of this thread, huh Storm.

I think Beilen is good and one of the best system coaches in the game actively. Among the great throng of Big Ten coaches where do you think he fits?

Storm
01-11-2010, 11:33 PM
that's a serious extension!