Pete Carroll to Seahawks per ESPN. [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Pete Carroll to Seahawks per ESPN.

Just Some Hog Dude
01-09-2010, 09:29 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4810861

So Kiffin to USC?

georgiaguy31015
01-09-2010, 09:36 AM
From what I read last night it's not a done deal that Carroll is going to Seattle but it's about as close as you can get without it being done. Also, from the names I read as possible successors at USC Kiffin's name was never mentioned. Apparently O'Reily at Oregon State is the front runner then possibly Del Rio and Fischer then maybe the guy at the University of Washington.

Tennessee
01-09-2010, 09:45 AM
"Pete Carroll to Seahawks," translated = "USC is about to get nailed on the Reggie Bush things and Carroll is jumping ship"

DBS
01-09-2010, 10:28 AM
lmao. bye bye usc

GatorMan32
01-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Just place wall street with SC and CEO and Bonus with Bush and McKnight.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_kIWY2DV0KnE/SqsXRKPz-KI/AAAAAAAAETQ/6v-ioFo3Hj4/Rats%20leaving%20a%20sinking%20Wall%20Street%20shi p.JPG

onlyfrbama
01-09-2010, 11:40 AM
"Pete Carroll to Seahawks," translated = "USC is about to get nailed on the Reggie Bush things and Carroll is jumping ship"

Bingo. He has been advised that "Major Infractions are coming" from the USC compliance department and his agent and attorneys. He was told to jump before it comes down.

onlyfrbama
01-09-2010, 11:42 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4810861

So Kiffin to USC?

Why would he leave for a program that is about to get hit with penalties when he is already at a program heading for it.

georgiaguy31015
01-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Bingo. He has been advised that "Major Infractions are coming" from the USC compliance department and his agent and attorneys. He was told to jump before it comes down.

Do you know this or is this speculation? Also, even if he jumps ship when it comes down if it comes down he will still be remembered as the coach that allowed it to happen and was the coach at the time it happened and still get the majority if not all the blame for it in my opinion.

onlyfrbama
01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Do you know this or is this speculation? Also, even if he jumps ship when it comes down if it comes down he will still be remembered as the coach that allowed it to happen and was the coach at the time it happened and still get the majority if not all the blame for it in my opinion.

I believe one of Morts tweets said he talked to a source and this is where all this started with the Seahawks. He was advised that stuff is about to hit the fan and it would be better if he left. Seems the NCAA takes a little pitty on programs that have coaches leave when in trouble.

georgiaguy31015
01-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I believe one of Morts tweets said he talked to a source and this is where all this started with the Seahawks. He was advised that stuff is about to hit the fan and it would be better if he left. Seems the NCAA takes a little pitty on programs that have coaches leave when in trouble.

Very interesting and thanks for the info man.

ugabrad
01-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Beyond that. his value is higher right now than it will be after any NCAA penalties are applied.

As a Washington resident, I'd like to see him coaching the Seahawks (as long as he doesn't rehire Sarkasian away from UDub), and wouldn't mind seeing O'Riley going to USC.

Tennessee
01-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Situations like this is where the NCAA system is wrong...Carroll is going to leave the team under probation, probably pretty heavy probation, and nothing is going to happen to him...USC knew (IMO), so they should be hit, but Bush and Caroll are going to roll in the dough while the other players stay behind to take the consequences

Wave&Dawgs
01-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Situations like this is where the NCAA system is wrong...Carroll is going to leave the team under probation, probably pretty heavy probation, and nothing is going to happen to him...USC knew (IMO), so they should be hit, but Bush and Caroll are going to roll in the dough while the other players stay behind to take the consequences

What exactly would you recommend the NCAA do? Carroll has every right to leave USC and every right to coach in the NFL.

What are they supposed to do? Ban him from going to the NFL? Nope, they can't do that. Ban him from NCAA football? Fine, he's in the NFL anyway. Fine him? That's ok too, his NFL contract will more than pay for that.

I would just really like to know what all of the people who are whining and saying "Oh no Carroll shouldn't be allowed to get off scott free" would suggest the NCAA do about it.

ugabrad
01-09-2010, 02:10 PM
I suppose that if the NCAA investigation showed that the infractions were actually the coach's doing (as opposed to something that happened on his watch), the university could sue for lost bowl revenue... it'll never happen, but sometimes I feel like it should happen.

In this case, I can't say that yet. It would entirely depend upon the results of any NCAA investigation of SoCal.

Tennessee
01-09-2010, 03:03 PM
What exactly would you recommend the NCAA do? Carroll has every right to leave USC and every right to coach in the NFL.

What are they supposed to do? Ban him from going to the NFL? Nope, they can't do that. Ban him from NCAA football? Fine, he's in the NFL anyway. Fine him? That's ok too, his NFL contract will more than pay for that.

I would just really like to know what all of the people who are whining and saying "Oh no Carroll shouldn't be allowed to get off scott free" would suggest the NCAA do about it.

I was just saying Carroll was a ***** for doing it...Geez man

Wave&Dawgs
01-09-2010, 03:04 PM
I was just saying Carroll was a ***** for doing it...Geez man

I am glad you are so noble but come on, 99% of coaches would do just like Carroll did if given the opportunity. You think your coach wouldn't do the exact same thing?

Tennessee
01-09-2010, 03:14 PM
I am glad you are so noble but come on, 99% of coaches would do just like Carroll did if given the opportunity. You think your coach wouldn't do the exact same thing?

And i would call him a ***** if he did it...Do you really have no probs with a coach getting a school on probation, then just leaving???

Wave&Dawgs
01-09-2010, 05:04 PM
And i would call him a ***** if he did it...Do you really have no probs with a coach getting a school on probation, then just leaving???

I don't like it but I realize that any coach in that situation would do the exact same thing that Carroll is doing. And right now there is no proof that they are going on probation or that Carroll was responsible if they do. That's why I'm not criticizing him right now.

georgiaguy31015
01-09-2010, 05:11 PM
It doesn't matter because Carroll's not going to Seattle. Seattle screwed the pooch on this and now they are screwed.

DBS
01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
like it or not, it's up to the administration (AD, Pres, board of directors) to keep the coach in line.

if they don't do their job.... well.... that why the school gets ****ed and not the coach.

Wave&Dawgs
01-09-2010, 06:40 PM
It doesn't matter because Carroll's not going to Seattle. Seattle screwed the pooch on this and now they are screwed.

Huh? Not per the NFL's twitter...

Goodell, in Cincy for Jets-Bengals game, told media that Redskins + Seahawks have complied w/ Rooney Rule

http://twitter.com/NFLprguy

georgiaguy31015
01-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Huh? Not per the NFL's twitter...

http://twitter.com/NFLprguy

All of that may be true but if the Seahawks had to give up giving Carroll ultimate control or damn close to it to comply with the Rooney Rule then I don't see Carroll coming into a situation like that.

Wave&Dawgs
01-09-2010, 06:49 PM
All of that may be true but if the Seahawks had to give up giving Carroll ultimate control or damn close to it to comply with the Rooney Rule then I don't see Carroll coming into a situation like that.

They haven't officially hired Carroll yet per Roger Goodell. Therefore they can still interview a black GM candidate then officially hire Carroll as HC/GM.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info that this isn't the case.

Optik
01-11-2010, 02:16 AM
Yep. This is a done deal. Carroll is the Seahawks HC, it is official. He will be bringing Ken Norton, Jr. (LBs) and Jeremy Bates (OC) with him, probably some others, but I don't wanna look the article back up right now.

Him jumping ship made me think something was up. Most of his assistants jumping with him (yes I know they are probably gone when he leaves anyway) really sets off the alarm bells, though. USC is about to get hit as hard as the NCAA will hit them.

georgiaguy31015
01-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Yep it appears to be a done deal. Chris Mortensen reported last night that the CEO of Seattle will meet with Carroll today but that's probably to talk about the leaders for the GM job and Mort also said that the announcement could come this afternoon.

Storm
01-11-2010, 09:32 AM
i also read where Matt Barkley was transferring too......USC is going to be turrible next season

scgamecock312
01-11-2010, 09:38 AM
The Rooney Rule is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you already know who you want to hire then you shouldn't have to interview someone just to make the NFL happy.

rolling baby
01-11-2010, 09:51 AM
No biggie. USC will take its lumps but will rise like a Phoenix in a few years ala Butch Davis's Miami. Want to destroy USC? Have California lose its 40+ million population. Too much talent to keep a program like that down.

Btw, my darkhorse replacment candidate is Jack Del Rio.

scgamecock312
01-11-2010, 09:55 AM
BTW....my comment wasn't mean to come across in any sort of racist way. What I'm saying is if a school or NFL team knows who they want to hire they should be able to go ahead and do that no matter what color.

OffThePorch
01-11-2010, 10:01 AM
The Rooney Rule is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you already know who you want to hire then you shouldn't have to interview someone just to make the NFL happy.

agreed.

imo there are better hires out there for Seattle.. not sure Pete will come across to Pro players like College players.
dont blame him though... with all thats going down at USC.. + he has a billionaire wanting him. (If) he can do well in Seattle the city (beautiful) will be his.

YR_Tiger
01-11-2010, 10:10 AM
No biggie. USC will take its lumps but will rise like a Phoenix in a few years ala Butch Davis's Miami. Want to destroy USC? Have California lose its 40+ million population. Too much talent to keep a program like that down.

Btw, my darkhorse replacment candidate is Jack Del Rio.

Yes and UCLA is and all the other power houses in Cali are prime examples....LOL

scgamecock312
01-11-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm not even sure this is going to happen. Seems to me something would have been announced already.

rolling baby
01-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Those programs don't take football seriously. UCLA is bball equivalent of USC. UCLA hiring Rick Neuheisal is a prime example of that.

scgamecock312
01-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Those programs don't take football seriously. UCLA is bball equivalent of USC. UCLA hiring Rick Neuheisal is a prime example of that.

Look at what Neuheisal took over though...pretty much nothing. I think he has UCLA on the right path.

Heck Pup
01-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Just place wall street with SC and CEO and Bonus with Bush and McKnight.

As you wish.

I used "Pete" instead of "Bush".

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp280/sicemdogs/USCVermin.jpg

OffThePorch
01-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Reports have Carroll signing a five-year contract worth $6.5 million a year.
http://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1038296

DBS
01-11-2010, 10:41 AM
nicely done....very nice

rolling baby
01-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah, and look at what Neuheisal left at Colorado and Washington.

YR_Tiger
01-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah, and look at what Neuheisal left at Colorado and Washington.

He did fine at Washington, but the got canned over a pool. You may have forgotten Ty Willingham came in behind and tanked UW.
He also won at CU.
I would not call UCLA a non football school.

rolling baby
01-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Wazzu was sucking wind in Neuheisal's last few years.

YR_Tiger
01-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Wazzu???? He coached at UDub

Cuz
01-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Has Nick Saban denied he is a candidate for the USC job. If so, there goes the "Prince of Tides". :rotf:

rolling baby
01-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Wazzu???? He coached at UDub

Yeah, Udub was still sucking air.

YR_Tiger
01-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Coach, Years, Win percentage
Jim Lambright , 1993-1998, 0.63571
Rick Neuheisel, 1999-2002, 0.67347 (2000 PAC 10 Champ)
Keith Gilbertson, 2003-2004, 0.30435
Tyrone "Ty" Willingham, 2005-2008, 0.22917
Steve Sarkisian, 2009-2009, 0.41667

And he won 2000 PAC 10 Champ

rolling baby
01-11-2010, 02:08 PM
So did Willingham (not to mention Mike Price).

YR_Tiger
01-11-2010, 02:16 PM
So did Willingham (not to mention Mike Price).

Was that during his best year when Ty went 5-7 or the 4-9 yr at UW LOL
Mike Price is a good coach.

Rick N will win at UCLA.

ugabrad
01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Wazzu was sucking wind in Neuheisal's last few years.

Neuheisel never coached at Wazzu... he was UDub's coach.

Oops, someone beat me to it...

Storm
01-11-2010, 03:45 PM
now it's official

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_seahawks_carroll

georgiaguy31015
01-11-2010, 11:03 PM

Exactly. Well said.

Heck Pup
01-11-2010, 11:30 PM
http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp280/sicemdogs/PeteNixon.jpg

You won't have Pete Carroll to kick around anymore.

socalwildcat
01-12-2010, 08:04 PM

I tend to agree. I understand the good intentions for the rule when it was first implemented. Maybe now it should be reconsidered. In the Seahawks case, if they don't get Carroll, Jim Morra would still be the coach and they wouldn't interview anybody.