Pete Carroll Jumping to the NFL? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Pete Carroll Jumping to the NFL?

OxfordSeminole
01-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Mort just reported on Sportscenter that now that the Seahawks have fired Mora, they are going hard after Carroll and that he has strong mutual interest in the job.

Pete could be gone.

Urb Gruber
01-08-2010, 03:05 PM
What does that say about USC Football Program's future? How bad is the NCAA going to come down on them?

Must be some really dark days for USC ahead if Carroll will leave with Matt Barkley still around for 2 more years. Looks like Pete wants out before it gets to that point.

GatorMan32
01-08-2010, 03:07 PM
if he goes, rat deserting a sinking ship

scgamecock312
01-08-2010, 03:35 PM
No link??

Urb Gruber
01-08-2010, 03:36 PM
No link??

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4808557

scgamecock312
01-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks. Wow that would be shocking.

Storm
01-08-2010, 04:08 PM
I have to agree with Gman, for someone who's never said he had an interest in the NFL and is happy at SoCal, a sudden interest in the freaking Seattle Seahawks is pretty fishy........LOL

Bama_Man
01-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Carroll sent Chris Mortensen a text saying "You know I haven't answered an NFL question in two years".

Bubba
01-08-2010, 04:54 PM
:rotf: where there's smoke there's fire

onlyfrbama
01-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Pete is trying to strike while his star is still bright. He still has bargaining power right now and can set his terms. Seahawks are desperate to get a big name after Mora JR. failed. I do agree this is quite fishy especially since Pete spent all night last night on camera with ESPN to help USC in recruiting. That is the only reason these coaches accept those type of things. He has to know something is coming. He has had better opportunities and turned them down.

Urb Gruber
01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Bruce Feldman of ESPN just said that Mike Riley and Steve Sarkisian are possible candidates to replace Carroll at USC. I don't see either going.

onlyfrbama
01-08-2010, 06:10 PM
According to this article he has taken the job.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2010/1/8/1241469/report-seahawks-to-hire-pete

Urb Gruber
01-08-2010, 06:13 PM
According to this article he has taken the job.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2010/1/8/1241469/report-seahawks-to-hire-pete

My last post was misleading, but I didn't expect any one else to get the Seattle Job. Pete wanted absolute control and now he gets it.

Good Luck Pete Carroll. I think he'll be a better NFL coach this time around.

Bama_Man
01-08-2010, 06:42 PM
so its basically official now?

Storm
01-08-2010, 06:54 PM
i havn't heard or read anything official, so i'll wait until then before jumping for joy

Bama_Man
01-08-2010, 07:02 PM
I hope he backs out and does not go through with it.

Carroll is good for college football, and college football is the best place for Carroll's style of coaching.

Wave&Dawgs
01-08-2010, 07:06 PM
I hope he backs out and does not go through with it.

Carroll is good for college football, and college football is the best place for Carroll's style of coaching.

It's basically a done deal from what all I've heard. I doubt the Seahawks would fire a coach after his first year who led them to more wins than the year before if they weren't 100% sure they had their guy in place. That would make them look pretty stupid.

I'm glad he is trying it again in the NFL. If I had a chance to coach at the highest level after accomplishing alot at a lower level, I would too.

Dollar Theater
01-08-2010, 07:08 PM
USC must be about to get slammed with sanctions.

GDawg88
01-08-2010, 07:11 PM
I'll still believe it when I see it.

Optik
01-08-2010, 08:49 PM

QFT. :cheers:

georgiaguy31015
01-08-2010, 11:21 PM
I also read it was a done deal and an announcement could be coming on Monday but I just don't buy it. Like GDawg, I will believe it when I see it.

GatorMan32
01-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Pete Carroll did not officially inform USC he was leaving as of Friday afternoon but sources within the university said he accepted a job with the Seattle Seahawks and only needed to agree to final contract details.

USC sources said Carroll agreed to a five-year deal with the Seahawks with the only question how much power he would have in the organization. The Seahawks lack a coach and general manager and Carroll's often expressed a hope to do both when he returned to the NFL.

Athletic director Mike Garrett is expected to target Oregon State coach Mike Riley as his No. 1 choice. The other top candidates are former USC players: Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio and Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher. Another possible candidate, according to sources, is Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh.

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_14151185

Storm
01-08-2010, 11:59 PM
no shock that McKnight and USC's best receiver both declared for the draft, too. They ain't hanging around for next years debacle.

Dollar Theater
01-09-2010, 12:00 AM
USC should look at Sark in Washington, and Harbaugh at Stanford. I think both of those guys could continue keeping the Trojans near the top of the Pac 10.

georgiaguy31015
01-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Apparently it's a 5 year deal worth 7 million a year from what I read but the hangup is the Rooney Rule and Seattle has to interview minority candidates first and they are having a hard time doing that. I'm not sure how big of a deal that is but it sounds like kind of a big deal to me.

GatorMan32
01-09-2010, 12:43 AM
they goofed not interviewing them before this broke. now people know they are token interviews.

Wave&Dawgs
01-09-2010, 12:49 AM
I also read it was a done deal and an announcement could be coming on Monday but I just don't buy it. Like GDawg, I will believe it when I see it.

Do you really think Seattle would have just fired Mora (who NO ONE thought was on the hot seat, even he was reported as being shocked over being fired) if they weren't 100% that they were going to get Carroll?

I can understand the skepticism but it would be an all time stupid blunder by Seattle if they fired Mora then didn't get the guy they fired him for.

georgiaguy31015
01-09-2010, 12:50 AM
they goofed not interviewing them before this broke. now people know they are token interviews.

Yep, that's what I read. The question is how bad if at all will this hurt Seattle and their chances to get Carroll or is this all formality?

georgiaguy31015
01-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Do you really think Seattle would have just fired Mora (who NO ONE thought was on the hot seat, even he was reported as being shocked over being fired) if they weren't 100% that they were going to get Carroll?

I can understand the skepticism but it would be an all time stupid blunder by Seattle if they fired Mora then didn't get the guy they fired him for.

I agree with that but when I made that post I never looked at it like that. I just figured Seattle realized what we all knew Mora ain't an NFL head coach.

Wave&Dawgs
01-09-2010, 12:57 AM

Can you blame him though? If your current job was about to fall to shambles and you were offered a better, higher paying job would you not take it too?

Dr.SwineSmeller
01-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Chris Peterson is probably on the USC short list, should there be one. He is well known in the West, and he is about the hottest name in coaching next to Saban and Meyer. And Peterson is the only one of those 3 not making, in cash moola, near what the other two are.

SS

Dr.SwineSmeller
01-09-2010, 12:59 AM
Simwhat won't du futs in kenable.

ugabrad
01-09-2010, 12:38 PM
It's basically a done deal from what all I've heard. I doubt the Seahawks would fire a coach after his first year who led them to more wins than the year before if they weren't 100% sure they had their guy in place. That would make them look pretty stupid.

I'm glad he is trying it again in the NFL. If I had a chance to coach at the highest level after accomplishing alot at a lower level, I would too.

Don't underestimate the stupidity of the Seahawks organization...:nono:

Optik
01-09-2010, 12:43 PM

It already is. The Rooney Rule is going to bite them, not only are they having a hard time lining up any token interviews, they actually had a minority candidate(s) lined up and they backed out of the interview when the news about Carroll broke. They are not going to be able to line up an interview without paying someone just to interview. :rotf::rotf:

Good job, Seahawks. Nicely handled, pretty what I would expect from that organization. :cheers:

Optik
01-09-2010, 12:51 PM
There have already been rumors of Sark and Harbaugh going around and it is already being said that they would not be interested and USC could not get them to leave where they are. The only reason I can think it would be so definitive is if there really is something about to go down with USC. Way to tuck that tail and run for the hills when you're about to get caught Petey.

That is the biggest problem with the way the NCAA punishes. I have no doubt that USC had an idea of what was going on, but I hate how Carroll's punishment in all of this is going to end up being a higher-paying NFL HC job. How is that punishment? He is the one that broke the NCAA rules, why are the players he leaves behind and the ones that want to come there soon, regardless of coach, the ones that get to sit in the stocks?

One more time, with FEELING!!

Absolutely. Did we ever really expect better from him? :think:

ECDawg78
01-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Reports are that an interview with Minnesota Vikings DC Leslie Frazier takes place today to satisfy the Rooney rule requirement.......then the Carroll hire will be announced...probably tomorrow or Monday.......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4810861

Optik
01-09-2010, 01:03 PM
On the plus side for Carroll, at least he already has a close personal relationship with all the player agents and a fresh knowledge of today's contract negotiations to take with him to Seattle. :thumb:

ECDawg78
01-09-2010, 01:07 PM
L.A. sportswriter Bill Plaschke performs Petey Carroll fellatio......

There won't be any scolding here of Pete Carroll
Coach figured to leave someday, and he's going to NFL dream job from a possible USC nightmare.

By Bill Plaschke
January 9, 2010

As a befuddled city staggers around today with Pete Carroll's footprints on its back, we need to get something straight.

Why would arguably the greatest football coach in USC history leave the team at its most desperate point in a decade?

Or is he leaving precisely because of that?

Is Pete Carroll running to something, or from something?

In trying to figure out Carroll's apparently imminent departure to the Seattle Seahawks -- a coaching move that could rip out the current Trojan mystique down to its ugly Hacketts -- only one thing is beyond debate.

Pete Carroll owes USC nothing. He owes this city nothing. He owes you nothing.

In nine years, he has more than earned his millions.

Two national titles, seven Pac-10 championships, seven BCS bowls, three Heisman Trophy winners, 97 wins in 116 games.

He's not leaving in the middle of a season. He's not leaving after lying about staying.

He's no traitor. He's no quitter. He deserves no boos. He was paid to do a job, he did it well for a long period, his performance gave him a chance at what he considers a better job, and so he's taking that chance.

That's not sleazy. That's America.

If you see Pete Carroll today, you do not scold him, you thank him.

But could you also, you know, ask him the question that is following him out of town like a scrap of tissue on the heel of his shoe?

It is not "Why?"

It is "Why now?"

You knew he would eventually leave here for the NFL. I've been writing it for five years, many of you have repeatedly mocked me for it, but, c'mon, you knew.

He coaches games as if he's in the NFL. He runs his program as if he's in the NFL. His last remaining football challenge -- proving that he's better than a 33-31 career record -- is in the NFL.

You knew that one day he would leave.

But why, exactly, now? After turning down at least four other NFL offers in recent years, after turning down a chance to leave on the shoulders of a national championship team, after his most disappointing season, why now?

Is Pete Carroll running to something, or from something?

The answer appears to be both.

He is running to an organization that can give him the superstar money he desires and the complete control he requires.

He is running from an organization where his star is dimming and his influence is waning.

He is running to his dream.

He is running from his nightmare.

Stained with four bad losses, this USC season not only aged Pete Carroll in the face, but also the shtick.

His loose attitude suddenly played lackadaisical. His fun approach suddenly felt undisciplined.

Where once he was lauded for his concern for individual players, now it seemed he was playing favorites -- just ask quarterback Aaron Corp, if you can track him down in Richmond.

Carroll seemed weary of the team, and the team seemed weary of him. His revolving door of assistant coaches acted as if they didn't know him, his players acted increasingly as if they didn't trust him, and Carroll just acted plain distracted.

The reason for this distraction is unknown. Was it personal? Was it something else professionally?

Whatever, his distance from the culture he created was never more clear when, with fans chanting his name and cheering him from the stands as he came off the field at the Emerald Bowl, he ignored them all to put his arms around me so I wouldn't ask questions of nearby Joe McKnight.

After that game, for the first time in Carroll's tenure here, he openly questioned the USC administration, criticizing them for essentially suspending McKnight because of the Land Rover controversy.

"I know those quotes are going to make some people mad," Carroll said afterward.

He was talking about Athletic Director Mike Garrett, and he didn't care. It is the worst secret in town that he and Garrett have quietly feuded for years, Carroll bristling when the athletic director would stick his nose -- and his ego -- into a program that was clearly built and owned by the coach.

It is easy to say that Carroll is leaving now because of impending NCAA sanctions surrounding the Reggie Bush house and McKnight car issues. But in conversations with me, he never truly believed the Trojans would get whacked.

He wasn't afraid of NCAA jail, but he was tired of NCAA laws.

He hated worrying about amateur compliance when he was trying to fashion a pro defense. He hated dealing with a player's college transcript when he was trying to prepare him for the NFL combine.

And he hated that suddenly, athletic department officials were smartly growing wary that he could handle it all. If they took McKnight off his team before a bowl game -- a good move, by the way -- Carroll wondered what was next.

It was as if Carroll felt he was too big for a department that suddenly realized this giant could eventually squash them all.

There is no compliance department in Seattle. There is no Mike Garrett in Seattle. There will be no increasingly dubious boosters,

Pete Carroll can start fresh in a league that is his football home.

And USC will do . . . well, who knows? Truth is, Carroll was not only the leader of the program, he was the program, resurrecting it from embarrassment and seemingly single-handedly pushing it to glory.

Don't forget, USC endured some lean times before Carroll arrived. He coached the Trojans to their first national title in 25 years. With the current competitiveness in the college football landscape, the wrong coach could bring the beginning of another drought.

But can they bring in a top coach with the NCAA looming? More important, can they bring in a dynamic leader with Garrett looming?

Because Garrett's received all the plaudits for Carroll's hiring, will he now be held accountable for Carroll's leaving? Will USC be able to truly move forward if he is not?

For now, perhaps, it is enough to lament the loss of one of the greatest sports leaders to ever grace our city.

And, as with seemingly every other great Hollywood partnership, to wonder why it couldn't last.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke9-2010jan09,0,7508951.column?page=1

Optik
01-09-2010, 01:24 PM
...He runs his program as if he's in the NFL...

Sure does, Bill. Thats the problem. :cheers:

I think Plaschke is going to end up with scars on his knees from all the rug burn...

onlyfrbama
01-09-2010, 01:32 PM
USC might have a hard time finding a big time coach who will want to rebuild if the NCAA comes down hard on them.

Optik
01-09-2010, 01:41 PM
USC might have a hard time finding a big time coach who will want to rebuild if the NCAA comes down hard on them.

Kiffin? Wouldn't want to call him "big time", but I am just saying...I wonder if he might want to go home? Especially if there are no sanctions...:think:

Storm
01-09-2010, 04:42 PM
now reports say there is no agreement........LOL. slippery Pete strikes again!

georgiaguy31015
01-09-2010, 04:56 PM

So now the deal is off or what? What the hell is going on here?

Urb Gruber
01-09-2010, 04:58 PM

Link(s)?

Urb Gruber
01-09-2010, 05:06 PM
I just came across this:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/01/pete-carroll-might-not-get-everything-he-wants-in-seattle.html

georgiaguy31015
01-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Well it appears that Seattle **** in their bed on this one. Carroll's not coming no way in hell he comes now.

Urb Gruber
01-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Well it appears that Seattle **** in their bed on this one. Carroll's not coming no way in hell he comes now.

I still think he goes. The article I posted makes me wonder why the NFL is being so Dictatorish about Pete's control?

In 2003, the NFL fined the Detroit Lions $200,000 for failure to interview minority candidates for the team's vacant head coaching job. After Marty Mornhinweg was fired, the Lions immediately hired former San Francisco 49ers head coach Steve Mariucci to replace him without interviewing any other candidates. The Lions claimed they attempted to interview other candidates but that the minority candidates withdrew from interviews, believing Mariucci's hiring was inevitable.

It doesn't make sense that the NFL won't allow Carroll to just be HC. Then again, it is the No Fun League.