Texas HS team wins 170-35 [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Texas HS team wins 170-35

Dollar Theater
01-06-2010, 11:32 AM
After leading 100-12 at halftime. That's unreal.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/6800394.html

kentubbybasketball
01-06-2010, 02:00 PM
I remember one time Lisa Leslie had 101 in a high school game at the half... at the half! The other team didn't come out during the second half. True story. lol

Urb Gruber
01-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Tell you're team to play better D and you won't feel "disrespected".

Wave&Dawgs
01-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Tell you're team to play better D and you won't feel "disrespected".

Dude, this is High School. You just can't use that argument. By that score, it's so obvious that the losing team was so athletically overmatched it would have been impossible for them to have done much better on defense.

These aren't professional athletes or even scholarship college players. They are freaking 14-18 year old kids!

kentubbybasketball
01-06-2010, 03:07 PM
If anything the coach is the one that should feel disrespected or at least embarrassed. lol

Urb Gruber
01-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Dude, this is High School. You just can't use that argument. By that score, it's so obvious that the losing team was so athletically overmatched it would have been impossible for them to have done much better on defense.

These aren't professional athletes or even scholarship college players. They are freaking 14-18 year old kids!

I can't use that argument?

Is it that hard to challenge shots or at least put your hands up when the other team shoots? Is Lee full of 5-6 kids going up against a Yates team full of 6-2 or taller players?

Maybe the team should be better prepared as well. When you are facing a team that is trying to win a National Championship, what do you expect? They aren't going to lie down just to spare feelings. And if you are looking for someone to take it easy, competitive sports really isn't the place for you to be.

My point is, these kids need to face reality. They aren't that good. These kids need to learn that life isn't fair and it isn't going to be easy. Use this as a humbling experience.

boxvic
01-06-2010, 04:11 PM
I have the same sentiments about this game as that really lopsided girls game from last year: this kind of stuff doesn't fly with me in high school.

In college and the pro's run it up all you wan't becaise all of the players are presumeably getting some form of compensation for being out there (unless you play a team with all walk ons, and then it is pretty classless to run the score up on them).

In high school though, no one but the coach is getting compensated. It is just wrong to run it up like... especially when it was obviously intentional. You don't keep pressing and win by over 100 unless you meant to do it.

It isn't like he called off the defense, put in the third string, said "ok lets take this chance to work on our half-court stuff", and still ended up winning by a lot.
It isn't even like it was a close game for a while, but then they started to pull away and he put his second and third stringers in and told them "ok guys, here is your chance to work on things in a game" and ended up winning big.

No, he kept pressing, kept running, and kept trying to score as quickly as possible; and he won huge. There is just no place for this in a high school game.

boxvic
01-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I can't use that argument?

Is it that hard to challenge shots or at least put your hands up when the other team shoots? Is Lee full of 5-6 kids going up against a Yates team full of 6-2 or taller players?

Maybe the team should be better prepared as well. When you are facing a team that is trying to win a National Championship, what do you expect? They aren't going to lie down just to spare feelings. And if you are looking for someone to take it easy, competitive sports really isn't the place for you to be.

My point is, these kids need to face reality. They aren't that good. These kids need to learn that life isn't fair and it isn't going to be easy. Use this as a humbling experience.

Losing by 40 and having the other team play keep away to kill the last quarter is a humbling experience. Losing by over 100 while the other team traps, presses, and runs isn't humbling, it is insulting. Humbling makes you say "damn, ok they are way better". This was stright up the other team saying here take this humbling experience and let us rub it in your face while we wipe our butts with your dignity.

Urb Gruber
01-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Losing by 40 and having the other team play keep away to kill the last quarter is a humbling experience. Losing by over 100 while the other team traps, presses, and runs isn't humbling, it is insulting. Humbling makes you say "damn, ok they are way better". This was stright up the other team saying here take this humbling experience and let us rub it in your face while we wipe our butts with your dignity.

The experience you take from is this:

"You just dealt with a team that ran all over your pride. Instead of taking offense to what someone else does, just be the better man and take the high road. Instead of fighting, like one of you chose to do, let it go. Use what happened today as a way to motivate yourselves to not allow that to happen again. Do not allow yourselves be like them if you ever find yourself in that position. They were the better team. Accept that and move on to the next opponent."

It's called taking a negative and making it positive, but the Lees coach would rather just piss and moan about it. This isn't the last time these kids will be walked all over, and it will probably happen outside of Sports so why not use this as a lesson?

boxvic
01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
The experience you take from is this:

"You just dealt with a team that ran all over your pride. Instead of taking offense to what someone else does, just be the better man and take the high road. Instead of fighting, like one of you chose to do, let it go. Use what happened today as a way to motivate yourselves to not allow that to happen again. Do not allow yourselves be like them if you ever find yourself in that position. They were the better team. Accept that and move on to the next opponent."

It's called taking a negative and making it positive, but the Lees coach would rather just piss and moan about it. This isn't the last time these kids will be walked all over, and it will probably happen outside of Sports so why not use this as a lesson?

That is all a bunch of bull though and anyone with half a brain can see right through it.

There are going to be times when you face a team or another person that is going to kick your butt at something. No amount of motivation or desire to keep them from doing it is going to stop them from doing it. We all realize this... we have all faced situations like this.

This isn't about it the losing team, this is about the winning team. Because for the person who is kicking your butt to give it their all is one thing, but for them to gloat and rub it in your face as they do it is something entirely different- and make no bones about it pressing, trapping, and fast breaks when you are up 90 is nothing more than unabashed gloating.

Again, I don't care if this happens in college. Hell I'd love to watch a college game where someone scores that many points regardless of how many the other team scores. In college people are getting something for it. In high school though it is pathetic.

georgiaguy31015
01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Holy crap. I've never heard of anyone scoring 170 points in a basketball game before much less in high school.

Wave&Dawgs
01-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Holy crap. I've never heard of anyone scoring 170 points in a basketball game before much less in high school.

I expected this post to say "Congrats (insert winning HS name here)" :raz:

Dollar Theater
01-06-2010, 05:50 PM
I disagree with this part. I'm VERY competitive. It would piss me off much more to have a team not try and play "keep away" the entire second half moreso than just running up the score. By doing that the other team is basically saying, "You're so bad that we can't even legitimately try without humiliating you. You're not worth the effort."

Urb Gruber
01-06-2010, 06:32 PM
That is all a bunch of bull though and anyone with half a brain can see right through it.

There are going to be times when you face a team or another person that is going to kick your butt at something. No amount of motivation or desire to keep them from doing it is going to stop them from doing it. We all realize this... we have all faced situations like this.

This isn't about it the losing team, this is about the winning team. Because for the person who is kicking your butt to give it their all is one thing, but for them to gloat and rub it in your face as they do it is something entirely different- and make no bones about it pressing, trapping, and fast breaks when you are up 90 is nothing more than unabashed gloating.

Again, I don't care if this happens in college. Hell I'd love to watch a college game where someone scores that many points regardless of how many the other team scores. In college people are getting something for it. In high school though it is pathetic.

Sorry, if a team isn't going to bother to play defense or take care of the ball, they don't have the right to complain. I saw clip where they showed 4 shots being made and not one defender challenged a shot. I have a hard time believing any other part of the game was different.

The coach is also to blame because he needs to tell his team how to beat a press instead of complaining about it. A team can beat the press, but clearly Lees wasn't properly informed in how to do so.

WVUfaninKY3
01-06-2010, 09:42 PM
I disagree with this part. I'm VERY competitive. It would piss me off much more to have a team not try and play "keep away" the entire second half moreso than just running up the score. By doing that the other team is basically saying, "You're so bad that we can't even legitimately try without humiliating you. You're not worth the effort."

Amen! Must spread Rep. HOWEVER, in this case the team should've never pressed past the first quarter. Work on other parts of the kids' game, work on them running their offense, work on them playing a 2-3, or a half court man defense cause there will be that team that will be able to break your press effectively. Play keep away? H*LL NO! Run your offense through looking for an open layup make these players well rounded on their way to the defense of their state title.

BluegrassBelle
01-09-2010, 10:37 AM

I agree. Really though I mean obviously the losers weren't a good match for the winners so it sort seems like the winners just ran over some sub par team. It's like beating UK in football it doesn't really prove your team is good because UK isn't that good so all you did was run over a sub par team.

REBEL5 AC
02-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Yates is a beast of a program.

Urb Gruber
02-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Yates beat Lee again, 125-26.

Here's their schedule for those interested:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/YIJrJZvRrE6N2PhGmfcPjw/yates-lions/basketball/schedule.htm

REBEL5 AC
02-12-2010, 09:33 AM
The only beat them by 99 this time?:rotf: