***Iowa v Georgia Tech Orange Bowl Thread*** [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : ***Iowa v Georgia Tech Orange Bowl Thread***

Urb Gruber
01-05-2010, 07:25 PM
An early Turnover by Iowa gives GT good field position at midfield.

lbzdually
01-05-2010, 07:28 PM
GT looks fired up. I despise them normally, but hope they win for the state of Georgia.

georgiaguy31015
01-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Thank goodness that GT couldn't do anything with that turnover. Iowa has the ball back now.

Urb Gruber
01-05-2010, 07:37 PM
GT gave up a big play to Iowa's TE and Iowa cashed it in. 7-0 Hawkeyes.

Urb Gruber
01-05-2010, 07:53 PM
TD Iowa. GT isn't stopping them tonight.

georgiaguy31015
01-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Touchdown Iowa!!!

georgiaguy31015
01-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Stupid Iowa throwing a pick six to let Georgia Tech get back in it. Iowa has to score now.

Storm
01-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Iowa seems to throw a pick 6 every darn game. I know they did it against Michigan.

georgiaguy31015
01-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Iowa seems to throw a pick 6 every darn game. I know they did it against Michigan.

They said that they have had a hard time with turnovers especially the last four games.

Urb Gruber
01-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Charles Davis STFU.

I'm glad that this is Fox's last year of covering the BCS. The commentators are f***ing annoying.

Bamadan
01-05-2010, 09:05 PM
..and what's with these bowls using has beens in the music industry? Tonight: Kool & the Gang. :doh:

GR8NESS
01-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Wow, GT's offense isn't so great when teams have a month to prepare for it. See: Lousiana State University, last year's Peach Bowl.

Urb Gruber
01-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Wow, GT's offense isn't so great when teams have a month to prepare for it. See: Lousiana State University, last year's Peach Bowl.

I'll go a step further. It's when you have the right personnel too. Houston and Missouri had 3 weeks to get ready for Air Force and Navy, respectively, and still got stomped on. Houston didn't have the athletes and I don't know what Missouri's excuse is.

georgiaguy31015
01-05-2010, 09:22 PM
..and what's with these bowls using has beens in the music industry? Tonight: Kool & the Gang. :doh:

I was wondering the same thing and the only thing I can come up with is that nobody else worth a crap wants to do it.

Dawg in Dallas
01-05-2010, 10:12 PM
I love the fact that SEC refs are calling this game. :banghead:

Urb Gruber
01-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Wow, that was a bad call IMO to fake the FG. Instead of making them have to get a TD, now GT needs a FG to tie.

Urb Gruber
01-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Jonathan Dwyer should be cut immediately

Optik
01-05-2010, 10:21 PM
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

What was Dwyer DOING!?!?

Optik
01-05-2010, 10:21 PM
I love the fact that SEC refs are calling this game. :banghead:

They are doing a pretty typical (read: horrid) job of it.

Dawg in Dallas
01-05-2010, 10:23 PM
They are doing a pretty typical (read: horrid) job of it.

Exactly my point. They showed that ancient guy fairly early (apologies to Herchel) and said it was going to be his last game and I actually smiled.

Optik
01-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Exactly my point. They showed that ancient guy fairly early (apologies to Herchel) and said it was going to be his last game and I actually smiled.

The one they were talking about playing in the original Orange Bowl or something like that? :)

And number #60 of Iowa was clearly holding on to #51 of GT on that TD run just then. Quite obvious too. You can see him pulling the jersey as 51 is running away from him. He would have made the tackle had he not been held, but true to form, there is no flag from the SEC refs. Sad.

F250MustangGuy
01-05-2010, 10:33 PM
TD Iowa

Urb Gruber
01-05-2010, 10:34 PM
No offense Storm and WouldE (and any other Big 10 fans), but how is GT getting bent over by Iowa?

The white boys from Iowa are showing how good "athletes that can run the spread" are doing. Take nothing away from Iowa because they had a great game plan and ran it very well. They deserve this win. I just thought we'd see more from this "vaunted" GT option attack.

georgiaguy31015
01-05-2010, 10:48 PM
What a terrible night for Tech first their basketball team gets beat by Georgia and then they get beat in their bowl game for the second straight year. Does it get any better than that not involving a woman or a **** load of money? What a glorious night lol. As for Dwyer, I'm not sure what the hell he was doing there. I guess trying to make something out of nothing but he should know better being a senior and all.

ManInTheBlackPajamas
01-05-2010, 11:07 PM
^^, I think this is GT's 5th straight bowl loss.

Urb Gruber
01-05-2010, 11:10 PM
I knew Iowa was the better team tonight, but I cannot believe they had a 403-156 yard advantage over GT.

The more I think about it, the more I am realizing it was more of Iowa being a better team than GT not "bringing their A Game". Again, kudos to Iowa and the Big 10 on the win. Iowa played masterfully tonight.

lbzdually
01-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Stupid play calling in GT's part. They had just marched the ball down Iowa's throat and scored running the ball, then they throw the ball first play for an interception.

Djshockley3
01-06-2010, 04:22 AM
Yech sucks.

Herchel
01-06-2010, 05:28 AM
The genius lost again. How did that happen? :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

deterp
01-06-2010, 05:35 AM
No offense Storm and WouldE (and any other Big 10 fans), but how is GT getting bent over by Iowa?

The white boys from Iowa are showing how good "athletes that can run the spread" are doing. Take nothing away from Iowa because they had a great game plan and ran it very well. They deserve this win. I just thought we'd see more from this "vaunted" GT option attack.

Iowa had a dang good start to their season, good enough that many B10+1 fans and writers were smelling roses. Then NU came along and for some reason Iowa went to hades in a handbasket. Really tho, Iowa can produce some darn good teams.
OTOH, Iowa plays with a "football conference" and GTech plays in a "basketball conference". :rotf:

Heck Pup
01-06-2010, 06:31 AM
^^, I think this is GT's 5th straight bowl loss.

I'm not sure about that fact, but they haven't won a MAJOR bowl game sine the 1956 Sugar Bowl. (NO - the 1990 Citrus Bowl DOES NOT COUNT AS A MAJOR BOWL GAME)

I do not possess the most astute CFB mind, but I did call this game earlier in the week. Several disagreed with my prediction, notably thagodfather and GG.

Those big corn fed Iowa boys are going to push around the nerds like Wisconsin did Miami.

Chan Gailey +1 win = Paul Johnson

They will fail.

It's a great day for America when Tech loses. Thanks Iowa.

Storm
01-06-2010, 07:41 AM
If Iowa's QB, Stanzi, would have been healthy for the ohio state game, Iowa would have probably beaten osu and been undefeated. Now that would have thrown a wrench into the system, not these other jokers undefeated seasons.

IllinoisDawg63
01-06-2010, 08:11 AM
If Iowa's QB, Stanzi, would have been healthy for the ohio state game, Iowa would have probably beaten osu and been undefeated. Now that would have thrown a wrench into the system, not these other jokers undefeated seasons.IIRC, Iowa went into Columbus already with 1 loss to N'western.

dnmuga93
01-06-2010, 08:14 AM
IIRC, Iowa went into Columbus already with 1 loss to N'western.

You do, but that is the game where Stanzi got hurt. I fully believe a healthy Stanzi wins that game; Iowa had 4-5 turnovers after Stanzi went out, including a NW TD on the play where he got hurt.

Storm
01-06-2010, 08:34 AM
You do, but that is the game where Stanzi got hurt. I fully believe a healthy Stanzi wins that game; Iowa had 4-5 turnovers after Stanzi went out, including a NW TD on the play where he got hurt.

exactly......

Dawg in Dallas
01-06-2010, 08:46 AM
The genius lost again. How did that happen? :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Did you read Barnhart (http://blogs.ajc.com/barnhart-college-football/2010/01/06/it-was-a-very-good-year-at-georgia-tech/?cxntfid=blogs_barnhart_college_football) this morning? The AJC is so in love with Johnson it isn't even funny.

In just two seasons Paul Johnson has made Georgia Tech a player again on the national stage with an ACC championship, a BCS bowl, and a win over Georgia. While it canít be a great year unless you beat the state rival, this was a very good year at Georgia Tech.

HunkerDown
01-06-2010, 08:47 AM
It's a great day for America when Tech loses. Thanks Iowa.

Amen.

HunkerDown
01-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Did you read Barnhart (http://blogs.ajc.com/barnhart-college-football/2010/01/06/it-was-a-very-good-year-at-georgia-tech/?cxntfid=blogs_barnhart_college_football) this morning? The AJC is so in love with Johnson it isn't even funny.

That is freaking ridiculous. God I hate the AJC.

IllinoisDawg63
01-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Hey I'm glad to see Tech go down, but Iowa's great record has several close scores-including week 1 beating Northern Iowa 17-16. I wouldn't really say that they lose automatically to Ohio St, but they really didn't put the Big 10 on fire.

Storm
01-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Hey I'm glad to see Tech go down, but Iowa's great record has several close scores-including week 1 beating Northern Iowa 17-16. I wouldn't really say that they lose automatically to Ohio St, but they really didn't put the Big 10 on fire.

you don't have to blow teams out every week to prove you're a good team. ohio state had multiple close games the year they beat Miami for the championship......just saying. good/great teams find ways to win. Even Bama had to survive close calls this year.

Dawg in Dallas
01-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Not against a 1AA school...

Of course given the Big 10's recent history playing the power houses from the lesser football divisions, I guess trumpeting a win over Northern Iowa is to be expected. :raz:

IllinoisDawg63
01-06-2010, 09:10 AM
you don't have to blow teams out every week to prove you're a good team. ohio state had multiple close games the year they beat Miami for the championship......just saying. good/great teams find ways to win. Even Bama had to survive close calls this year.I didn't say that they had to blow teams away, but how the hell does anyone know that Ohio St loses if Iowa's Stanzi was playing. Ohio St got a big wake-up against Purdue. Iowa should have been able to beat Northern Iowa by more than they did IMO.

Cuz
01-06-2010, 09:13 AM
That is freaking ridiculous. God I hate the AJC.

Hey they aint so bad. My daughter won tickets to UGA-Kentucky in a skybox and I got to be the chauffeur. Well maybe they should have given us tickets to a winning game.

Heck Pup
01-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Hey they aint so bad. My daughter won tickets to UGA-Kentucky in a skybox and I got to be the chauffeur. Well maybe they should have given us tickets to a winning game.

A guy I know won some tickets this year when they had that photo contest. He submitted this picture of his dog on top of an old Plymouth Fury:

http://blogs.ajc.com/junkyard-blawg/files/2009/11/romeo-the-junkyard-dog.jpg

LINK (http://blogs.ajc.com/junkyard-blawg/2009/11/04/free-uga-football-tickets-2/)

Sadly, this dog needs $6000 worth of hip surgery. Haven't heard an update on his health.

Storm
01-06-2010, 09:24 AM
I didn't say that they had to blow teams away, but how the hell does anyone know that Ohio St loses if Iowa's Stanzi was playing. Ohio St got a big wake-up against Purdue. Iowa should have been able to beat Northern Iowa by more than they did IMO.

well I know......:rotf:

Herchel
01-06-2010, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the link. I hope the genius stays at Yech for a long time.

HunkerDown
01-06-2010, 10:40 AM
A guy I know won some tickets this year when they had that photo contest. He submitted this picture of his dog on top of an old Plymouth Fury:

http://blogs.ajc.com/junkyard-blawg/files/2009/11/romeo-the-junkyard-dog.jpg

LINK (http://blogs.ajc.com/junkyard-blawg/2009/11/04/free-uga-football-tickets-2/)

Sadly, this dog needs $6000 worth of hip surgery. Haven't heard an update on his health.

I've spent that much and more on my chow and one of my previous rotties. The chow had two hip surgeries and the rottie had 2 torn ACL's repaired by UGA's finest at the vet school.

Heck Pup
01-06-2010, 10:47 AM
I've spent that much and more on my chow and one of my previous rotties. The chow had two hip surgeries and the rottie had 2 torn ACL's repaired by UGA's finest at the vet school.

:jaw:

Do you like the pic? the guy is a graphic artist. He said it was pouring down rain when he took that photo.

MidGADawgs
01-06-2010, 10:52 AM
I just spent 3k for my wiener!! :)

My Dachshund cracked a vertebrae in his back right before Christmas and couldn't walk. Kinda sad seeing the pooch dragging himself around the room by his front legs while yelping in pain. My wife said 'no surgery' wasn't an option. Today, he can sorta walk (kinda baby deer like) and still enjoys barking at squirrels (but can't chase them anymore), but my wife is happy...and I guess that's what matters.

Heck Pup
01-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I just spent 3k for my wiener!! :)

My Dachshund cracked a vertebrae in his back right before Christmas and couldn't walk. Kinda sad seeing the pooch dragging himself around the room by his front legs while yelping in pain. My wife said 'no surgery' wasn't an option. Today, he can sorta walk (kinda baby deer like) and still enjoys barking at squirrels (but can't chase them anymore), but my wife is happy...and I guess that's what matters.

I have two wieners. Will yours make a full recovery?

MidGADawgs
01-06-2010, 11:09 AM
We have three wieners - a black/tan, a dapple, and a piebald. The most coddled of the three (and only three years old) took a head first dive off the sofa to get a treat and broke his back. The vet never said he'd make a recovery, but if he was to ever walk again, surgery was the only option.

It's been almost a month now and his walking/balance has improved, but I doubt we'll ever be taking him on long walks again....so he'll truly be a lap dawg now.

I thought about just getting him one of those doggy wheelchairs and putting spinners on it:

http://www.familyresource.com/img/dog-wheels.jpg

Heck Pup
01-06-2010, 11:11 AM
We have a black and tan and a dilute (red nosed) red. I have heard they can get back problems from jumping up and down off the sofa, but we can't/won't stop them from doing it.

Hope yours gets well soon.

Heck Pup
01-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Iowa's coach referred to GA Tech as "Wake Forest" during the post game press conference.

:rotf:

Optik
01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
I have two wieners. Will yours make a full recovery?

Me too. A short hair middie and a long hair mini. Freakin cutest things in the world. Yelping bastards. :D

The mini has sprained his ankle before, but thats it. Pretty good luck so far. He is only about a year and half old though. He spends most of the time fighting with the cat and bossing around the 90# German Shepard. :rotf:

georgiaguy31015
01-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Oh yea HH, I meant to say this last night and I forgot. You were right. I was wrong as usual. Good call man.

MidGADawgs
01-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Me too. A short hair middie and a long hair mini. Freakin cutest things in the world. Yelping bastards. :D

The mini has sprained his ankle before, but thats it. Pretty good luck so far. He is only about a year and half old though. He spends most of the time fighting with the cat and bossing around the 90# German Shepard. :rotf:

Yes....Dachshunds do bark A LOT and are one of the most stubborn breeds you can get. But they have tons of personality and are feisty suckers. One day while walking my three, an english bulldog ran up on my wife and I and before we knew it, all three of my wieners latched onto the bulldogs face before it could react. They of course looked like flags flapping in the wind as the bulldog tried to shake them off, but the 40lb disadvantage (at least) in weight wasn't going to stop them from protecting my wife and I (I guess that's why they pounced??). The bulldog shook himself free at a minute or two and took off from where he came.

And yes....please don't let them jump off high things or you'll end up with a huge vet bill like me.

Storm
01-06-2010, 10:23 PM
wow, this thread went in a completely different direction.....LOL

MidGADawgs
01-06-2010, 10:29 PM
My fault......

TECH SUCKS!!!!....alrighty..it's back on track!!!!

Optik
01-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Yes....Dachshunds do bark A LOT and are one of the most stubborn breeds you can get. But they have tons of personality and are feisty suckers. One day while walking my three, an english bulldog ran up on my wife and I and before we knew it, all three of my wieners latched onto the bulldogs face before it could react. They of course looked like flags flapping in the wind as the bulldog tried to shake them off, but the 40lb disadvantage (at least) in weight wasn't going to stop them from protecting my wife and I (I guess that's why they pounced??). The bulldog shook himself free at a minute or two and took off from where he came.

And yes....please don't let them jump off high things or you'll end up with a huge vet bill like me.

Yeah, that is how ours act with us. It is pretty hilarious to see them hanging off the Shepard while he is just standing there with a bug dumb grin on face not even noticing them. :rotf:

When there is real danger they know they are the second line of defense behind me and Thor, though. That is a good thing, I don't need them running after a coyote when there is a far more threatening dog just a few feet across the yard.

I have had various dachshunds my whole life though. They are very stubborn, I think I have been around too many and take after them some, lol. When I was born my parents had one that was quite jealous of the new baby and didn't ever want to play with me. She actually bit me on the nose one day when I was just about 2 years old because we were fighting over a toy or something. She wanted one of mine or me being a baby decided that squeaky thing was mine, I can't remember. She didn't bite bad or anything like that, no blood, but just a faint teeth mark on my nose and made me cry. My parents came in and grabbed her and the toy and separated us, they spanked her, but nothing crazy, I had egged the dog on and they knew it. :D She was a good dog and had to be pushed to that. Anyway, so they go back and continue cooking dinner and I continue playing. The battle for the toy wasn't finished though and she came back into the room with it and a few minutes later instead of me crying, the dog is yelping in pain and goes running into the kitchen, crying to my mom, with a set of my teeth marks across her snout. Payback is a bitch, lol, like I said, the toy was mine. I have intimate experience with these dogs and their stubbornness, suffice it to say. :rotf:

They are great, though, and have some of the best personalities.

Optik
01-06-2010, 10:39 PM
wow, this thread went in a completely different direction.....LOL

GT just isn't interesting, lol. We pretty much talked about all three of their options and how none of them even began to work already. :D

Although, I have been wondering if Paul Johnson had been advising Tech fans to punch Iowa fans in the face as well? :think: