USC punishes itself for rules violations [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : USC punishes itself for rules violations

Bayou Bengal 72
01-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Finally!

According to this story on ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncb/news/story?id=4792634), USoCal has punished itself for the O.J. Mayo problems. The school has "imposed sanctions on its men's basketball program for NCAA rules violations, including a ban on postseason competition at the end of this season, a reduction of scholarships and vacating all of its wins from 2007-08.

The university said the self-imposed sanctions resulted from an internal investigation that found NCAA rules violations related to O.J. Mayo, who played for the Trojans during the 2007-2008 season under former coach Tim Floyd. Mayo is now with the NBA's Memphis Grizzlies.

The sanctions are connected to Mayo's involvement with Rodney Guillory, who under NCAA rules became a USC booster due to his role in Mayo's recruitment."

Now, if they will just finish the investigations into the Reggie Bush accusations and the Joe McKnight Escalade problems in a timely fashion... well maybe McKnight!

georgiaguy31015
01-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I read that and it's better than nothing I guess but I want more especially with the football team lol.

Bacon
01-03-2010, 06:18 PM
LOL, I thought it was a thread about Spurrier...

IllinoisDawg63
01-03-2010, 06:35 PM
LOL, I thought it was a thread about Spurrier...SEC punishing Spurrier for 'Cocks sucking totally!!:rotf::rotf:and from last years bowl too while we're on the subject.

Bama_Man
01-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Joe McKnight and his Land Rover are still under the gun I think

as they should be.

If Reggie Bush took money, and Joe McKnight took a car, they should face the same form of sanctions Alabama got originally for Langham.

But USC never gets the hammer dropped like the SEC teams get

AURex
01-04-2010, 12:05 AM
So, USC looks at their basketball team, which was gutted by players and coaches leaving and now sux deeply. They look at a load of NCAA infractions hovering over both football and basketball. They figure, hey, lets divert the attention of the NCAA with a little "institutional control." We will self impose a bunch of meaningless sanctions on our basketball team -- no post-season play, like they would have any chance at postseason play -- fewer scholarships, because nobody wants to play here now anyway -- and vacate some wins, like ouch, that really really really hurts.

Okay, now launch the media campaign, juice the publicity. Pump that cheap perfume by the gallon.

Urb Gruber
01-04-2010, 12:22 AM
So, USC looks at their basketball team, which was gutted by players and coaches leaving and now sux deeply. They look at a load of NCAA infractions hovering over both football and basketball. They figure, hey, lets divert the attention of the NCAA with a little "institutional control." We will self impose a bunch of meaningless sanctions on our basketball team -- no post-season play, like they would have any chance at postseason play -- fewer scholarships, because nobody wants to play here now anyway -- and vacate some wins, like ouch, that really really really hurts.

Okay, now launch the media campaign, juice the publicity. Pump that cheap perfume by the gallon.

Actually, USC's B-Ball team had a chance at going to the tourney with the Pac-10 having a down year. Wins over Tennessee and UNLV would have helped. Depending on how the rest of the year plays out, I think USC might have had a legit chance at making the tourney as an at large, or winning the Pac-10 tourney. Now, they have zero chance and I wonder how the kids respond with their play.

Storm
01-04-2010, 01:20 AM
so they impose some sanctions on themselves, does this mean the NCAA is off the hook from actually having to investigate and impose their own penalties?

Urb Gruber
01-04-2010, 01:29 AM
so they impose some sanctions on themselves, does this mean the NCAA is off the hook from actually having to investigate and impose their own penalties?

The NCAA still has to finish the investigation, but will only impose their own penalties if they feel more is warranted. To answer your question, No and Yes.:rotf:

kentubbybasketball
01-04-2010, 03:21 PM
History has shown that when a school chooses to take its own self out of the postseason that something crappy has happened and they are doing it just so the NCAA may go lightly on them. This just doesn't look good at all for USC.

But, man, this conference has a USC too. I thought this was talking about South Carolina in the thread time at first glance.

GR8NESS
01-04-2010, 04:47 PM

No. IIRC, Irrelevant University imposed penalites on themselves after they caught Sampson.

steelyvan
01-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Brum, Irrelevant U. is still 1-2 seasons away from having their Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time-Players being ready for prime time. They will be relevant under Crean and will make a championship run at some point. They fell alot further than UK did.

Urb Gruber
01-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Brum, Irrelevant U. is still 1-2 seasons away from having their Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time-Players being ready for prime time. They will be relevant under Crean and will make a championship run at some point. They fell alot further than UK did.

Not to get too off topic, but I still can't believe Crean took the Indiana HC job. The fact that he has to rebuild it from scratch AND he wanted the challenge is simply mind boggling. He was one of my favorite coaches at Marquette, and still is now that he is at Indiana.

Edit- I don't know WTF is up with the Arkansas Symbol. I must have accidentally hit it. :doh: