What teams are you a closet fan of? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : What teams are you a closet fan of?

boxvic
01-03-2010, 03:10 AM
What team, even if it is supposed to be a rival, are you a closet fan of?

I might be weird, in that I don't have a lot of sports hate. I don't really hate any of UK's rivals. In basketball I hate Duke and Syracuse... out of those only Duke can really be considered a UK rival. I don't really like UL, but I don't hate them. I don't really feel one way or another about Florida, but I want UK to beat them. I don't care about UT, though I have personal feelings about their coach so I like to beat him.

I grew up in an area that hates IU... but I have to be honest I'm a closet IU fan. I'm only secretive about that though because liking IU around here is looked upon as worse than liking UL in the middle of Lexington- but I cling to the Mid-Western qualities of this area, so I just can't hate a team that has historically represented those qualities.

I'm also a bit of a Notre Dame basketball fan. I can't stand them in football, but for some reason I like them in basketball.

The odd thing though, is that I don't like Purdue. I have no reason to not like Purdue... I just don't. I don't hate Purdue... they aren't on the same level as Duke or Syracuse... I just don't like them. I could care less if they win or lose. They literally have no spot on my interest meter.

kentubbybasketball
01-03-2010, 09:01 AM
It's not "closet" per say but I've been a Minnesota fan, since that's where my family is from. And, my mom went to school there. Plus, now Tubby Smith is the coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I also like regional schools (Southern Illinois, Murray State, Western Kentucky). I love Georgia, Arkansas, and Ole Miss in the SEC. Then, I also like Michigan State. Those are my teams.

Kansas' success doesn't really bother me. Indiana is alright... don't feel anything one way or the other.

Wave&Dawgs
01-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Definitely UNC. I pick them to win in my bracket basically every year and I always root for them when I get a chance to watch them play.

Storm
01-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Boston College.

Not sure why, but I think it dates back to the 90's and the upsets they had in football over FSU and Notre Dame. Ever since then, I always tend to keep an eye on them and see how they are doing.

Cuz
01-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Back when I was younger, people stayed in the closet. Now with liberal attitudes, they come right out and throw it in your face! Now which ear is it okay to have a ring in?

georgiaguy31015
01-03-2010, 12:14 PM
This is going to piss UK fans off but the reason I like these two schools is because they've won me hundreds of dollars before and that is Duke and UNC.

UK'sRash
01-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Mich. St. I'm just a tom izzo fan. I wanted him when Tubby left, but i am not going to complain cause i wouldn't trade this team for the world.

OffThePorch
01-03-2010, 12:31 PM
i like USM.. cept im not a fan of the big mouth HC. ive always liked Villinova & UNLV. teams i dont like include Duke, Notre Dame, Pac 10..
im a fan of the underdog most the time.

OffThePorch
01-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Mich. St. I'm just a tom izzo fan. I wanted him when Tubby left, but i am not going to complain cause i wouldn't trade this team for the world.

wow...

kentubbybasketball
01-03-2010, 01:31 PM
This is going to piss UK fans off but the reason I like these two schools is because they've won me hundreds of dollars before and that is Duke and UNC.

That doesn't piss off this UK fan. As far as I'm concerned and most other UK fans, UNC and Duke can get in line behind UK, just as they normally have.

kentubbybasketball
01-03-2010, 01:33 PM

You and I always think alike. I mentioned Michigan State too. It's kinda astonishing too, because they've kept out of 2 final fours the last 10 NCAATs.

LSUTigers1404
01-03-2010, 08:11 PM
No one. I am an LSU fan and that is it. All other teams are the enemy.

UK'sRash
01-03-2010, 08:11 PM
wow...

Whats the wow supposed to mean? (not trying to start anything just curious)

GR8NESS
01-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Not a closet fan of WKU or EKU, I just like to see those little guys do well.
I like Auburn more than any other team in the SEC outside of the Cats..

As far as random schools that I like watching and don't mind pulling for that I've not really ever talked about, Clemson football (as much as you SC fans will kill me), Oregon football-basketball, Syracuse & Illinois basketball

Urb Gruber
01-03-2010, 10:25 PM
I've got too many teams to list that I'm a closet fan of. And if I were to list them, ya'll would put me in an asylum :rotf:

UK'sRash
01-05-2010, 12:38 AM
I also support any school in Kentucky, except for louisville. I always want them to do well.

deterp
01-06-2010, 03:13 PM
I guess it's "closet" because I don't mention them much around here:
Texas

DawgNBama
01-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Not really closet, but my other teams to pull for in basketball would be Oregon, Southern Miss, Vandy, sometimes Clemson, and Temple. I used to pull for Providence some in the past too.

OffThePorch
01-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Whats the wow supposed to mean? (not trying to start anything just curious)

the bolded part... just wows me..

BluegrassBelle
01-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Butler
MTSU
UNLV

steelyvan
01-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Wisconsin. Gotta like a Bo Ryan team. Especially good today beating Purdue.

kentubbybasketball
01-09-2010, 05:47 PM
About Bo Ryan. He is underrated, 4 national titles in D-3 at Platteville. Two Elite 8s at Wisconsin, but everybody talks about how underrated he is. It's said so often that I gotta question is he really underrated anymore?

AURex
01-09-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm an Auburn grad and am always supporting my Tigers in every sport. But Auburn hasn't had a decent basketball team for many years, so I feel no real guilt about my allegiance to UK basketball. I was at UK for 6 years. So I support Auburn football and swimming and Kentucky basketball. But I am also a U of Illinois alum and was on campus for a total of 8 years. So I support my Illini (except if they ever play UK or Auburn).

My evil list is long. I used to absolutely detest Indiana, but that was Bobby Knight. Now I am indifferent about Indiana. And I used to hate Okla State, but that was the stench of Eddie Sutton. Now that he's crawled into his bottle, I'm indifferent to them as well.

But I've always disliked all teams from North Carolina. Many years ago, I lived in Houston. That was the time of the great Phi Slama Jama teams -- Hakim "The Dream" Olijawan, Clyde "The Glide" Drexler, etc. So I totally hate NC State. And I was at UK when Laettner beat UK on that last second turnaround shot, so I despise Duke and I really don't like that :zipit: Krzyzewski. And UNC has always been #1 on my list of most hated UK rivals. Any team whose team color is baby blue! They can go hold hands with UCLA in the corner and play kissy-kissy. :kiss:

kentubbybasketball
01-09-2010, 05:59 PM
No offense man, but how old are you? You've been in school for like 45 years it seems like. lol

AURex
01-09-2010, 06:17 PM
No offense man, but how old are you? You've been in school for like 45 years it seems like. lol

Undergrad at Auburn, grad school at Illinois, worked at Texas Medical Center in Houston, on the faculty at UK. Some time in San Francisco and in NY city. Now at Medical College of Georgia.

So, yeah, I'm not a 22 year old undergrad any more. But no, not 45 years. More like 35. And not as a student. Some people do work for a living, you know?

Long enough to see a lot of great football and basketball. Not long enough to have lost interest.