Top 10 games of the decade not involving the SEC? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 games of the decade not involving the SEC?

georgiaguy31015
01-01-2010, 07:05 AM
I figure this thread probably won't get any love but it's early and I'm bored and I'm proud of myself for being so creative this morning lol. So here goes. What in your opinion was the top 10 games of the past decade not involving SEC teams? As of right now I can only think of two and that is Miami vs. OSU in the 2002 national title game and Boise State vs. Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl but I don't remember the year. I will try to come up with more later. What do yall think?

Storm
01-01-2010, 07:09 AM
#1 vs #2 osu vs Michigan 2006

Texas over USC for the NC

Boise State over Oklahoma

those jump out at me.

georgiaguy31015
01-01-2010, 07:14 AM
#1 vs #2 osu vs Michigan 2006

those jump out at me.

Good call on Texas vs. USC and I don't remember much if anything about that OSU vs. Michigan game so I will take your word for that one lol.

Storm
01-01-2010, 07:20 AM
just the hype surrounding it was the main thing. the outcome sucked.

IllinoisDawg63
01-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Oregon St. Beavers beat USC in '08.
Washington beat USC '09 to begin USC downslide!!!

Djshockley3
01-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Oklahoma vs Boise
Texas vs USC
Ohio St vs Miami
App St vs Michigan

More to come later.

Wave&Dawgs
01-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Ohio St. vs. Miami would easily have been #1 had the refs not completely ruined it at the end.

OffThePorch
01-01-2010, 11:13 AM

those jump out at me.

those 2 for me as far as national games...

RedNekTiger
01-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Texas over USC.............great game.

Storm
01-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Oklahoma vs Boise
Texas vs USC
Ohio St vs Miami
App St vs Michigan

More to come later.

:cry::cry:i thought we were friends:rotf:

Cuz
01-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Texas vs USC. That win got my bar tab paid. :cheers:

28buckeye28
01-02-2010, 07:14 PM
just the hype surrounding it was the main thing. the outcome sucked.

And the game following LOL.

28buckeye28
01-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Ohio St. vs. Miami would easily have been #1 had the refs not completely ruined it at the end.

I love when OSU haters say this. Just think if they wern't so biased they'd realized that if not for MANY bad calls AGAINST Ohio st. "The Call" never would have had a chance of happening. Facts are Miami was suppose to be one of the greatest teams ever and were suppose to wipe the field with OSU, but they didn't, they lost.

Storm
01-02-2010, 07:21 PM
And the game following LOL.

and the two games following that:cry:

Storm
01-02-2010, 07:22 PM
i know it involves Florida, but the Cap One Bowl between Michigan and Florida was an awesome game in 2007.

28buckeye28
01-02-2010, 07:55 PM
i know it involves Florida, but the Cap One Bowl between Michigan and Florida was an awesome game in 2007.

I'll agree with you there forsure, This was about the only 3 hours of my life I didn't hate UM, and may or may not have been pulling for them.

28buckeye28
01-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Another, although not my favorite.. When Vince Young and Texas came to c-bus.

Bama_Man
01-02-2010, 08:42 PM
USC/Texas Rose Bowl HAD to be the best.

VY was just amazing, that has to be the greatest CFB game of the decade.

Miami/tOSU 02,even with the worst call ever

GatorMan32
01-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Michigan v Florida was the last time Michigan fans cheered but not a classic a game LOL

SC/Texas Rose Bowl
Boise State/Oklahoma in Fiesta Bowl
Florida v Alabama in the 2008 SECCG
Texas v Nebraska in the 2009 Big 12 CG
Appy State @ Michigan because of how epic of an upset it was
Ohio State v Miami in Fiesta Bowl
Texas @ Texas Tech in 2008
Florida @ LSU in 2007 .. we may have lost but it lived up to the hype
Blue Grass Miracle LSU over Kentucky
Oregon State's upset of SC at Oregon State a couple of years ago

Those are off the top of my head but there have been so many great ones. For the most part I tried to focus on ones that had national title significance besides maybe the Appy State game because that was just epic, though the ACC lost a few to D-2 teams this year but none of them have the name value of Michigan.

IllinoisDawg63
01-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Michigan v Florida was the last time Michigan fans cheered but not a classic a game LOL

SC/Texas Rose Bowl
Boise State/Oklahoma in Fiesta Bowl
Florida v Alabama in the 2008 SECCG
Texas v Nebraska in the 2009 Big 12 CG
Appy State @ Michigan because of how epic of an upset it was
Ohio State v Miami in Fiesta Bowl
Texas @ Texas Tech in 2008
Florida @ LSU in 2007 .. we may have lost but it lived up to the hype
Blue Grass Miracle LSU over Kentucky
Oregon State's upset of SC at Oregon State a couple of years ago

Those are off the top of my head but there have been so many great ones. For the most part I tried to focus on ones that had national title significance besides maybe the Appy State game because that was just epic, though the ACC lost a few to D-2 teams this year but none of them have the name value of Michigan.title is "not involving SEC"

GatorMan32
01-03-2010, 06:29 PM
dont know why i was thinking national top 10 overall :doh: :rotf: :rotf: gotta laugh at myself on that one :cheers:

i really would have like 4 or 5 texas games then. texas at ohio state in 2005 i think it was would be on there too. maybe usc v ucla in 2006. pitt's upset of west virginia in 2007 that opened the door for LSU.

had 3 SEC games so those can fill in for now.

2008 National Champions
01-04-2010, 04:08 AM
FSU @ Notre Dame in '93
Miami - OSU BCS Championship
Michigan - OSU 2006
Several FSU - Miami games from the 90's
USC - Texas BCS game a few years back
Texas - OSU bowl game last year

Storm
01-04-2010, 07:44 AM

it's a classic to us.....LOL

georgiaguy31015
01-04-2010, 07:03 PM
FSU @ Notre Dame in '93
Miami - OSU BCS Championship
Michigan - OSU 2006
Several FSU - Miami games from the 90's
USC - Texas BCS game a few years back
Texas - OSU bowl game last year

Read the title of the thread again man.

2008 National Champions
01-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Read the title of the thread again man.

I'm not going to pick 10, I styruggled just to come up with those.

Too much put over the last 10 years.

2008 National Champions
01-04-2010, 07:58 PM
ooooh, the decade... lol

**** it, this is what I'm sticking with. :)

Optik
01-05-2010, 11:39 PM
I love when OSU haters say this. Just think if they wern't so biased they'd realized that if not for MANY bad calls AGAINST Ohio st. "The Call" never would have had a chance of happening. Facts are Miami was suppose to be one of the greatest teams ever and were suppose to wipe the field with OSU, but they didn't, they lost.

Miami was incredibly overrated. OSU should have been playing UGA that year, Miami was the third best team at best. They had no place in that game, I was very surprised that OSU didn't win by more. That game did more than pay my bar tab, I bet on it like it was the surest thing this side of Secretariat in a one-horse race.

Good thing I only had money riding on the outcome, not the spread. :D

Urb Gruber
01-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Miami was incredibly overrated. OSU should have been playing UGA that year, Miami was the third best team at best. They had no place in that game, I was very surprised that OSU didn't win by more. That game did more than pay my bar tab, I bet on it like it was the surest thing this side of Secretariat in a one-horse race.

Good thing I only had money riding on the outcome, not the spread. :D

:facepalm:

GR8NESS
01-06-2010, 12:17 AM
The list has to start w/ Texas-USC

Optik
01-06-2010, 12:41 AM
:facepalm:

That is the reaction I always get. It doesn't change my opinion. There was no way Miami was going to score enough on that OSU defense. They played in a cupcake conference and only looked good because of the sorry teams they played. They were an amazing team in '01, but they had a massive dropoff in '02 and were not the monster that so many want to make them out to be. A very good team still, but not nearly the best team that year. OSU proved that, I feel certain that UGA and a couple of other teams would have beaten Miami that year as well.

Optik
01-06-2010, 12:42 AM
The list has to start w/ Texas-USC

Yeah, and BSU-OU as well. After that it gets hard to figure out...

Storm
01-06-2010, 07:52 AM
I can honestly say i've never watched that Texas/USC game. I was still pissed about Michigan blowing the Rose Bowl the year before. Couldn't stand VY and had no desire to watch him or the game. Of course, I think I was in England at the time too.....LOL

Coal_UGA
01-06-2010, 08:01 AM

That is until Texas - USC. I agree Ohio St - Miami was an amazing game, but I think Texas USC was better, but maybe if not for the botched pass interfernce call I would look at the game different.

Optik
01-06-2010, 10:00 AM
I can honestly say i've never watched that Texas/USC game. I was still pissed about Michigan blowing the Rose Bowl the year before. Couldn't stand VY and had no desire to watch him or the game. Of course, I think I was in England at the time too.....LOL

Too bad...the look on the USC fan's and player's faces when Vince ran into the EZ on 4th down with just :19 on the clock was PRICELESS. They truly bought into everything ESPN said and really thought they were the best ever. That team couldn't have held '95 Nebraska's jock. Seeing that shock and dejection was oh so sweet. :D

Storm
01-06-2010, 10:05 AM
maybe if you hate USC. I personally don't so I would not have gotten much out of it.

Optik
01-06-2010, 10:19 AM
maybe if you hate USC. I personally don't so I would not have gotten much out of it.

I actually don't hate USC, just their fans, lol. I just can't stand when a fanbase is like they were that year. The whole "Nobody can beat us/We can beat an NFL team/We're the greatest team of all time, etc, etc" attitude grates my nerves. Especially when they are doing it when their team hasn't really proven anything. Thats why I liked it so much.

Regardless though, if you were not pulling for USC to win that game, it is the best game this decade. One of the best ever. Any two teams could have played that game and it still would have been awesome. It doesn't need the extra storylines to hype it up.