Mike Leach Suspended for Bowl Game [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach Suspended for Bowl Game

Urb Gruber
12-28-2009, 05:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4776848

Mark Mangino Part Deux maybe?

RedNekTiger
12-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Beat me to it.

What they are accusing him of is pretty sick.

Urb Gruber
12-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Beat me to it.

What they are accusing him of is pretty sick.

ESPN didn't go into any details. What exactly did Leach do?

Heck Pup
12-28-2009, 05:16 PM
ESPN didn't go into any details. What exactly did Leach do?

I heard he locked an injured player in a dark electrical closet for 4 or 5 hours.

Urb Gruber
12-28-2009, 05:24 PM
I heard he locked an injured player in a dark electrical closet for 4 or 5 hours.

WTF?

I did a quick google search "Mike Leach Suspended" and got this:

http://deadspin.com/5435755/mike-leach-suspended-indefinitely

rolling baby
12-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Mark Mangino
Mike Leach

Who's next?

Urb Gruber
12-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Mark Mangino
Mike Leach

Who's next?

Maybe Jim Leavitt of South Florida

Bubba
12-28-2009, 05:36 PM

Mike Leach is alleged to have isolated a player in a dark closet for not practicing with a concussion."

RedNekTiger
12-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Kid is reportedly Craig James' of SMU fame son.

And Craig is scheduled to work the Alamo Bowl for ESPN.

GR8NESS
12-28-2009, 06:06 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2009/12/texas-tech-suspends-mike-leach-after-player-complains-about-treatment/1

IllinoisDawg63
12-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Leach is one of the total A$$ES in history of CFB. If this is true, I would think he'd never land another D1 HC job.

IllinoisDawg63
12-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Mangino was wrong in his actions, but for a coach to confine anyone in a room-should be grounds for NCAA to force TX Tech to fire him so it's so known everywhere he couldn't coach anywhere.

fodive
12-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Leach is one of the total A$$ES in history of CFB. If this is true, I would think he'd never land another D1 HC job.

Not likely. All schools care about is winning, and keeping as much under the rug as possible. Someone else will give him a chance, if he is indeed fired - which he won't be.

georgiaguy31015
12-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Based on the information right now I'd say Leach is in big big trouble and may be out.

REBEL5 AC
12-29-2009, 03:09 AM
The Penguin has had troubles with Tech in the past, mostly over contract disputes, him threatening to leave, etc.. This might be his final nail in the coffin, so to speak.

DBS
12-29-2009, 06:23 AM
his days are numbered.

you just don't get suspended by the school for accusations.

IllinoisDawg63
12-29-2009, 06:54 AM
That's just assinine. Bobby Knight was a "loose cannon" but to our knowledge, he never closeted players. I hope he's never to coach again personally.

AlaGator
12-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Suspended? I think he ought to be fired or put in jail.

YR_Tiger
12-29-2009, 11:59 AM
I want to know why a kid would stay in the closet for 4 hrs?
I sure as heck would not....
Leach will be gone shortly...

DBS
12-29-2009, 12:13 PM

maybe he thought it was a joke? or it would only last a minute or two???

GR8NESS
12-29-2009, 12:14 PM
As his team raced onto the field, he gazed into the stands filled with screaming fans and wondered about the several thousand “cadets” from Texas A.&M. clustered in one end zone. They wear military uniforms and buzz cuts, holler in unison and stand at attention the entire game. “How come they get to pretend they are soldiers?” he asked. “The thing is, they aren’t actually in the military. I ought to have Mike’s Pirate School. The freshmen, all they get is the bandanna. When you’re a senior, you get the sword and skull and crossbones. For homework, we’ll work pirate maneuvers and stuff like that.”

Best quote ever.

YR_Tiger
12-29-2009, 12:20 PM
I will miss his pressers. You have to admit he is the most colorful coach out there today. I find him refreshing with all the boring post games you hear the same old lines.

Urb Gruber
12-29-2009, 01:01 PM

There was a "guard" posted by the Door so Adam James couldn't leave. The "guard" was allegedly a trainer.

HIGHTIDES
12-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Yeah, if they want him out... they can do it now.

DBS
12-29-2009, 03:57 PM

And i would imagine they have an out in the contract for conduct unbecoming or some junk like that. i don't know lawyer speak.

Heck Pup
12-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Leach isn't taking this lying down -

If any coach ever had some use for a law degree, it's Texas Tech's Mike Leach (Pepperdine '86), who found himself facing a legal, human resources and public relations nightmare Monday afternoon with word of his indefinite suspension from the team for allegedly confining a player with a concussion to an electrical closet -- a player who, coincidentally, happens to be the spawn of ex-SMU star and longtime ESPN analyst Craig James, who initiated the charges in a complaint to the school. Facing the most dire circumstances of his career, Leach and Associates appear to have developed a four-pronged defense:

Appeal. The first recourse of any legal mind. Leach's attorney, Ted Liggett, told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal he still hoped Leach could be "reunited with his boys" in time for Saturday's Alamo Bowl date with Michigan State, and that he's willing to go "through the court system" for an injunction if necessary.

Don't apologize. Leach may have avoided a public row if he had simply agreed to a written apology. He refused by the James family's Monday deadline, and they took it to the press. In the same vein ...

Maintain that charges are an exaggeration and/or misrepresentation. Specific allegations against Leach seem to amount to the following:

A source close to the family said [Adam] James sustained a concussion on Dec. 16, was examined on Dec. 17 and told not to practice due to a concussion and an elevated heart rate. The source said Leach called a trainer and directed him to move James "to the darkest place, to clean out the equipment and to make sure that he could not sit or lean. He was confined for three hours."

A source told the Associated Press that James said Leach told him that if he came out he would be kicked off the team.

According to the source, Leach told the trainer, two days later, to "put [James] in the darkest, tightest spot. It was in an electrical closet, again, with a guard posted outside."

Add to that the vague (and unconfirmed) insinuation that Leach initiated the cruel and unusual routine because he thought James was "faking."

Liggett doesn't deny James was confined on two separate occasions, but only for the boy's own good: In the first case, Liggett says James had been checked by a doctor and returned to the practice field, then sent to an equipment room -- perhaps better characterized as a shed -- for two hours, not three, because it was "cooler and darker" than the field, and thus a better environment for someone with a concussion; James was provided with ice and a trainer was "posted" outside the door. What the Associated Press' source called an "electrical closet" in the second instance, Liggett described as "a press room with air-conditioning and a stationery bike."

Character assassination. True to form, Leach apparently didn't mince word with the university's preliminary investigators into the incident, reportedly calling Adam James "a slacker" and characterizing Craig James as "always calling and acting like a Little League dad." (LOL - HH) A few of Leach's former players (current players have been off-limits to media) also defended their coach in the same vein to the local Avalanche-Journal, openly questioning Adam James' toughness, citing his reputation on the team as "soft and somewhat of a prima donna" and generally defending Leach as a tough -- and sometimes unorthodox -- but fair disciplinarian who consistently demands some minor, non-harmful participation from injured players to keep them involved.

So that's Leach's story -- "Spoiled kid and overprotective dad blow routine response out of proportion" -- and it stands to earn him $800,000 as a "completion bonus" if he's still the head coach when the calendar turns to the new year on Friday. Now we find out if the success and exposure he's brought to Lubbock have earned the frequently impolitic Cap'n enough goodwill to weather such a large (and potentially expensive) storm, or if his long series of petty battles with athletic director Gerald Myers and other admins is finally going to force him onto the plank.

LINK (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Leach-Gate-Update-Texas-Tech-coach-on-the-defen?urn=ncaaf,211113)

Urb Gruber
12-29-2009, 04:50 PM
If Leach thinks so lowly of Adam James why didn't he just cut him or advise him to go to another school instead of having him around for 3 years? Leach still played James even though he's "soft"? Last I checked, you don't reward a "slacker" by playing him.

I have a hard time believing Leach in this case.

Heck Pup
12-29-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't know - if it was that big a deal, why would the James family insist on a written apology, then only go to the press AFTER leach refused to do so? It looks more to me like Craig James is just flexing his media muscle on behalf of his son.

Craig James knew that after the Mangino debacle that the press would swarm all over something like this. What is the big deal about being forced to sit in a room? I am really having a hard time getting upset over this - then again, my son has never been thrown in an equipment room.

Players and their parents don't run football programs - coaches and the Athletic Departments do.

georgiaguy31015
12-29-2009, 05:13 PM

For what it's worth which may not be much but ESPN is reporting they want him out and they will do it before Thursday because if they don't do it by Thursday based on his contract they will owe him $8,000.00 so he will be out by Thursday according to ESPN. I would say they are right otherwise he wouldn't have been suspended he would have been reprimanded by a letter or something similar but since that didn't happen I would say his days are numbered.

Tennessee
12-29-2009, 05:16 PM
This was a rather bland sports year until Thanksgiving...Since then, we've had Tiger, Urban, and Leach, which are all really weird stories

Heck Pup
12-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Mike Leach makes a kid sit in a desk and do his homework at midfield in the snow and he is praised.

Mike Leach makes a kid sit in a dark room by himself and he is turned into a pariah.

Makes perfect sense...

Urb Gruber
12-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Mike Leach makes a kid sit in a desk and do his homework at midfield in the snow and he is praised.

Mike Leach makes a kid sit in a dark room by himself and he is turned into a pariah.

Makes perfect sense...

I didn't hear that story.

GatorOwnage
12-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Apparently, I've heard a couple of things about this and excuse me if they've already been posted.
1. The places he got "locked" in are apparently very large and have AC and training equipment
2. The douchebag reaction by the James' family might have to do with Craig James' son wanting to transfer to SMU, however Leach won't let players transfer to other Texas schools. This through Craig James into a hissy-fit and this just might have been his opportunity to get back at Coach Leach

Heck Pup
12-29-2009, 08:51 PM
I didn't hear that story.

Yeah. The kid was slacking off and making bad grades, so Leach put a desk on the 50 yard line in the middle of the field while it was spitting snow and made him study.

But that kid didn't have an ESPN announcer for a dad so it was considered OK.

I hope TT doesn't cave in to media pressure and keeps Leach. If they screw up and let him go, another big program will have the gumption to see through this crap and give him a job.

YR_Tiger
12-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah. The kid was slacking off and making bad grades, so Leach put a desk on the 50 yard line in the middle of the field while it was spitting snow and made him study.

But that kid didn't have an ESPN announcer for a dad so it was considered OK.

I hope TT doesn't cave in to media pressure and keeps Leach. If they screw up and let him go, another big program will have the gumption to see through this crap and give him a job.

$ post

Tennessee
12-29-2009, 09:22 PM
I like Craig James as an announcer, but listening to that interview he did on ESPN, I didn't buy that this thing went down as originally reported...I think James had a grudge and TT saw a way to get rid of Leach...This could come back to bite them in the arse...And, if James did exaggerate what happened, ESPN should let him go

Maybe I'm wrong, but James looked and sounded to me like a guy with a grudge during that interview

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4779341

DBS
12-30-2009, 06:21 AM
I like Craig James as an announcer, but listening to that interview he did on ESPN, I didn't buy that this thing went down as originally reported...I think James had a grudge and TT saw a way to get rid of Leach...This could come back to bite them in the arse...And, if James did exaggerate what happened, ESPN should let him go

Maybe I'm wrong, but James looked and sounded to me like a guy with a grudge during that interview

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4779341

If anything, James did a hell of a job NOT letting his bias show.

Seriously man, it's the guys son and you expect him to be nothing but fair and objective? wtf.

the interview was very good, clean and simple without stirring up any more ****.

Tennessee
12-30-2009, 09:22 AM
If anything, James did a hell of a job NOT letting his bias show.

Seriously man, it's the guys son and you expect him to be nothing but fair and objective? wtf.

the interview was very good, clean and simple without stirring up any more ****.

I don't think Craig James intentinally exaggerated the situation, but I think it may be a case of his son exaggerated the story to him and being a normal father, he believed his son, so now here we are...

LIke I said, maybe I'll end up wrong, and the claims are true, but my gut tells me otherwise, and I think CJ a TT may end up looking real bad here...

YR_Tiger
12-30-2009, 10:01 AM
So I have heard James waned to transfer to SMU and Leach would not grant it.
Also it appears James has some focus and discipline issues too. It will be interesting to see what comes out of the court heart today.

swampmonster
12-30-2009, 10:53 AM
A few of Leach's former players (current players have been off-limits to media) also defended their coach in the same vein to the local Avalanche-Journal, openly questioning Adam James' toughness, citing his reputation on the team as "soft and somewhat of a prima donna" and generally defending Leach as a tough -- and sometimes unorthodox -- but fair disciplinarian who consistently demands some minor, non-harmful participation from injured players to keep them involved.

^this.

People like craig james and his son, have entitlement issues, and the treatment for concusions IS selclusion in a cool, dark place, with minimal sensory input.

LOL, at the posters so quick to jail Leach.

Football is a violent sport, being sent to a dark room, as a treatment option is not abuse.

I think a coach running you until you puke, is much more abusive, but there is consistent praise universally of "hard workouts".

You can't have it both ways, either you advocate, tough disciplined football, or you don't.

I know, we can start handing out participitation trophies, and get rid of keeping score, and championships, cause it hurts the players feelings when they lose. :rotf:

OffThePorch
12-30-2009, 10:55 AM
i dont see why TT would want to get rid of Leach... he has been awesome there.

Heck Pup
12-30-2009, 10:59 AM
i dont see why TT would want to get rid of Leach... he has been awesome there.

Hopefully they won't. I've been critical of the man for never having played a down of football in his life, but you can't argue with the success he has had at TT. He is also funny as hell.

This is looking more and more like a calculated smear job by ESPN and Craig James.

I like SMU, but maybe ESPN needs to run a piece about how much of that slush fund James got back in the 80's when he was running that Pony Express with Eric Dickerson.

RedNekTiger
12-30-2009, 10:59 AM
I came down on Leach pretty hard based on preliminary information. The more that comes out, the more likely I was wrong.

swampmonster
12-30-2009, 11:14 AM
I like SMU, but maybe ESPN needs to run a piece about how much of that slush fund James got back in the 80's when he was running that Pony Express with Eric Dickerson

Really, talk about corruption and abuse.

Probably where he got his arrogant sense of entitlement.

YR_Tiger
12-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I did not jaile Leach and I stand by my prediction that he will be gone one way or another. by spring. I think TT is just trying to save money at this point. I hope TT has to pay him the 1.6 mil for no cause termination
I did question why someone would sit in a broom closet for 4 hrs...LOL

swampmonster
12-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I'd welcome Leach to UF as OC, just sayn' :rotf:

TIDE_gainer
12-30-2009, 12:09 PM
It has just come out that Leach has been officially fired. Below is a link to the torture rooms that he used as HC.

http://www.kcbd.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=4421239&at1=News&h1=Attorney%20speaks%20on%20treatment%20of%20playe r&flvUri=&partnerclipid=&rnd=24352641

Heck Pup
12-30-2009, 12:18 PM
It has just come out that Leach has been officially fired. Below is a link to the torture rooms that he used as HC.

http://www.kcbd.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=4421239&at1=News&h1=Attorney%20speaks%20on%20treatment%20of%20playe r&flvUri=&partnerclipid=&rnd=24352641

What a crock of shyte...

DBS
12-30-2009, 12:19 PM
he should have been fired for just being a freak alone :)

joehogjoe
12-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Really, talk about corruption and abuse.

Probably where he got his arrogant sense of entitlement.

It's never been revealed that James or Dickerson ever received slush fund payments. I'm not saying he didn't but there is no proof that he did.

Even if he did it does not change the fact that he was a great running back and he proved it on the field time and again. Hell Florida would be lucking to have a back as good as he was back then.

Plus you can't blame a man for taking up for his son.

Heck Pup
12-30-2009, 12:49 PM
It's never been revealed that James or Dickerson ever received slush fund payments. I'm not saying he didn't but there is no proof that he did.

I hear OJ is still looking for the "real killer" too.

He wasn't taking up for his kid, he was pitching a hissy fit because his son wasn't allowed to transfer to his old alma mater...

Herchel
12-30-2009, 01:25 PM

Even if he did it does not change the fact that he was a great running back and he proved it on the field time and again. Hell Florida would be lucking to have a back as good as he was back then.

SMU got the death pnalty for nothing?

Urb Gruber
12-30-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm not sure if you all were aware that Texas Tech and the admin didn't think too fondly of each other. Adam James isn't the sole reason Leach got fired.

Now my problem with Leach is that Adam James sucked at practice/bad work ethic so what did Leach do? He let him play. Leach and his staff only encouraged his behavior and they could have just cut him from the team or not let him dress. Leach didn't have an obligation to play James, especially if he didn't deserve it.

swampmonster
12-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Now my problem with Leach is that Adam James sucked at practice/bad work ethic so what did Leach do? He let him play.

Probably scared Craig James would create a negative media circus if he didn't. :rotf:

BTW nice shift of board focus, with this thread. :cheers:

swampmonster
12-30-2009, 01:43 PM

The man needs to let his son grow up, and fight his own battles.

He more than likely ruined him, with this BS.

joehogjoe
12-30-2009, 02:08 PM
SMU got the death pnalty for nothing?
No Herchel I didn't say that, but there has been extensive information and detail released and Dickerson and James were not named. Like I said it doesn't mean they weren't recipients of the slush fund but since they were the two superstars on the team you'd think that would have come out. The next great back (Dupree) that came after they left was named.
People forget the death-penalty came 4 seasons after they left. There were 21 players who apparently got money, and only a few have been named. James was never implicated at all. I've always been a big fan of James. He was a great rb, he's a damned good announcer, and he holds the distinction as being the last white player to rush for over 1000 yards in the NFL.

I'll say this as far as the death penalty goes, I am not in favor of it in college. It's too severe. It took SMU too long to come back and I hope it's never used again.

Tennessee
12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
TT had better have thier ducks in a row bc I have a feeling Leach is going to come after them with all he's got, bc he wasnt just fired, but with public accusations like this, his chances of landing a good HC job are slim

Urb Gruber
01-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Maybe Jim Leavitt of South Florida

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4807719