The U: Miami documentary [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : The U: Miami documentary

BluegrassBelle
12-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Did yall watch it? What did you think? I was surprised that Miami was having race riots in the eighties. I never realized the city went from being such a hellhole to being a pretty nice place. Anyway did anyone else watch or am I alone in my need to learn about ex great teams? :)

georgiaguy31015
12-17-2009, 09:53 PM
I saw it twice and I thought it was good but at the same time it seemed rushed to me. I know they had a lot of ground to cover and not much time but I didn't like the fact that they just glossed over some stuff or rushed most of it.

Just Some Hog Dude
12-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Did yall watch it? What did you think? I was surprised that Miami was having race riots in the eighties. I never realized the city went from being such a hellhole to being a pretty nice place. Anyway did anyone else watch or am I alone in my need to learn about ex great teams? :)

Cocaine can finance a lot of big buildings. Check out the movie Cocaine Cowboys.

GatorMan32
12-17-2009, 10:07 PM
A nice place?? :rotf: Miami still is a ****hole. South Beach and North Miami Beach are small areas that make up a tiny fraction of Miami-Dade County. Overtown, Little Havana and other such areas make up most of Miami. Only difference between the 80's, with Luke, 2 Live Crew, race riots, pay for play, tourist killings, etc and now is you now have to know Spanish to survive down there.

I did not watch it. I don't need to. Whatever spin they put on what went on down there to make put that program in a positive light is garbage. I was down there. Know their fans and what their program is/was like and what really went on.

F250MustangGuy
12-17-2009, 10:09 PM
What if I told you college football was hit by a decade long bad theme song and bad dancing to go with it

HeyBulldog
12-17-2009, 10:11 PM
A nice place?? :rotf: Miami still is a ****hole. South Beach and North Miami Beach are small areas that make up a tiny fraction of Miami-Dade County. Overtown, Little Havana and other such areas make up most of Miami. Only difference between the 80's, with Luke, 2 Live Crew, race riots, pay for play, tourist killings, etc and now is you now have to know Spanish to survive down there.

I did not watch it. I don't need to. Whatever spin they put on what went on down there to make put that program in a positive light is garbage. I was down there. Know their fans and what their program is/was like and what really went on.I thought about you when I saw it. I knew your feedback would be... interesting, to say the least. You didn't see it but I was still right about the feedback. :rotf:

Bubba
12-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Cocaine cowboys is wonderful. Good call jshd

I didn't see it. I'll try and find it. The u set the bar with thuggery..

GatorMan32
12-17-2009, 10:21 PM
LOL 250.

Glad I did not disappoint HB.

Nothing was sweeter than when Alabama crushed Miami for the NC. Their fans went so deep into hiding it was hilarious. I've gone to UM-FSU games where losing fans would change the colors on their shirt before leaving the stadium. There is no loyalty amongst those thieves.

Bama_Man
12-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Flippin terrible.

Focused way too much on Luke and music and the nightlife and not nearly enough on real issues, like the NCAA investigations, the great games, etc..

It was a two hour long highlight reel, not a documentary.

georgiaguy31015
12-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Tell me mor about Cocaine Cowboys. That's a new one to me. What's that about?

GatorMan32
12-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Ever see Scarface? LOL

georgiaguy31015
12-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Ever see Scarface? LOL

Bits and pieces. Never all the way through. Another problem with The U is it didn't go into grand detail about anything. I'm a man who likes detail. The more the better and it didn't do that. I wanted to know what exactly went on at Miami and how it all came crashing down on them but it touched on it but never more than that.

GatorMan32
12-17-2009, 11:15 PM
what do you want to know? about the pay for play where they literally got handed hundreds in the locker room in front of everyone? the drugs and women? the partying with rappers? the drug tests that got lost?

GatorMan32
12-17-2009, 11:59 PM
watching the 1984 game v BC (the Flutie game) on CBSC right now and even then, when Miami was at its best, the stadium was half empty.

Djshockley3
12-18-2009, 04:23 AM
I watched it and those guys were straight thugs. They made college football look bad.

georgiaguy31015
12-18-2009, 06:43 AM
what do you want to know? about the pay for play where they literally got handed hundreds in the locker room in front of everyone? the drugs and women? the partying with rappers? the drug tests that got lost?

Yea, I want to know all of that. I want to know everything. I guess I'm too nosey for my own good a lot of times lol.

Orangetd88
12-18-2009, 09:11 AM
I enjoyed it. Made me not like them even more.

I especially enjoyed the segment on the coin toss before the 86 OU game.

rolling baby
12-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Anyone noticed that Miami won 4 of its NCs against Big 12 teams? The 5th against the great Bill Curry?

Anyway, I heard the doc. basically skipped over Miami's 2 notorious beatings (UT, Bama). Billy Corben could've at least been objective/realistic if that was the case.

Orangetd88
12-18-2009, 11:38 AM
This is true. The beating we gave them was glossed over. Nothing was said about the Bama beating either, although the chronicle itself basically stopped in 1991.

The most hilarious part was it made it look as though Butch Davis was the reason the program went downhill.

rolling baby
12-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I heard that mess about Butch^^^ Lamar Thomas is nuts for saying what he did. Butch brought that program to where it should be (people were praising Miami during the early 2000s for winning with class). Then Larry Miles took over and the rest is history.

Orangetd88
12-18-2009, 12:01 PM
He built that program back the right way. Hell, they should have been playing for the title in 2000, not FSU.

Probably would have beaten OU, too.

Storm
12-18-2009, 12:29 PM
i think Bernie Kosar was drunk for all his interviews

Orangetd88
12-18-2009, 12:32 PM
And Lamar Thomas was high.

Storm
12-18-2009, 01:06 PM
and Michael Irvin was.......well, Michael Irvin

GatorMan32
12-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Butch Davis was the only one that ever brought class and Miami into the same sentence. To bash him is plain ignorant. What is new?

rolling baby
12-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Don't forget Howard Schllenberger, and Cousin Lou Saban.

Just Some Hog Dude
12-18-2009, 03:31 PM
i think Bernie Kosar was drunk for all his interviews

He did sound like a crunkster.

Wave&Dawgs
12-18-2009, 03:34 PM
I watched it and enjoyed it. Had I been alive in the 80's, that would have been my favorite team. They were thugs, a-holes, and didn't give a s***. Although I usually tend to root for the bad guys that everyone else loves to hate.

Just Some Hog Dude
12-18-2009, 03:37 PM
I watched it and enjoyed it. Had I been alive in the 80's, that would have been my favorite team. They were thugs, a-holes, and didn't give a s***. Although I usually tend to root for the bad guys that everyone else loves to hate.

...like the Raiders.

Wave&Dawgs
12-18-2009, 03:48 PM
...like the Raiders.

I'm actually a die hard Broncos fan, so no. :rotf:

Optik
12-18-2009, 08:53 PM

:confused:

When did this happen?!?!?! It hasn't been that long since I was in Miami, and I couldn't wait to get back to the safe confines of Atlanta after that. It is a nice to place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Or really even stay for more than a month or so...in the summer. :)

Also, I did not watch this doc. I am with GM in that I don't need to. I don't know the details like I am sure you do, GM, but I don't care either. UM is a pimple on the a$$ of CFB.

georgiaguy31015
12-18-2009, 09:09 PM
This is true. The beating we gave them was glossed over. Nothing was said about the Bama beating either, although the chronicle itself basically stopped in 1991.

The most hilarious part was it made it look as though Butch Davis was the reason the program went downhill.

I noticed that as well about Butch Davis and I thought that was ******** and what was up with Kosar? Has he always sounded like that?

Texaubie
12-19-2009, 10:20 AM
The only difference between the things that Miami did in the 80's and now is that alot more of what happens now is socially acceptable.

Seriously, just listen to lyrics of modern music, especially those in the hip hop culture. They sing about crap the UM players did/would of done and now white suburb kids that the hardest they have ever had it is mowing their own year imitate that crap lol.

The antics that you see UM doing on the field, that crap goes on all the time now. Crime by football players happens all the time now. Just read this board.

Unfortunately as much as we call them a disgrace and condemn their actions... they were trend setters.

Orangetd88
12-19-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't know if Kosar has always sounded like a retarded drunk, but he sure did on that show.

GatorMan32
12-19-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't agree Aubie. I mean the music is not a CFB thing. And they did not set that trend, groups like NWA, 2 Live Crew and Run DMC did.

Anyway, regarding CFB, yeah a lot of programs have kids that get in trouble. When you have 85 scholarship guys and dozens more walk-ons you will miss red flags on some and try to help others straighten their lives out and sometimes they make you regret that. But off of a team maybe a handful of kids are bad apples. In the 80's the entire Miami team was like that. Big difference.

Texaubie
12-19-2009, 08:19 PM
I don't agree Aubie. I mean the music is not a CFB thing. And they did not set that trend, groups like NWA, 2 Live Crew and Run DMC did.

Anyway, regarding CFB, yeah a lot of programs have kids that get in trouble. When you have 85 scholarship guys and dozens more walk-ons you will miss red flags on some and try to help others straighten their lives out and sometimes they make you regret that. But off of a team maybe a handful of kids are bad apples. In the 80's the entire Miami team was like that. Big difference.

Eh think you missed the point. Not saying the music is a college football thing.

Pointing out that lyrics of today are representative of cultural norms and thinking. They glorify the thug life now a ton, which is exactly what Miami of the 80's did. As someone said, they were thugs, they knew it and didn't give a **** and relished in it. It's cool to be a thug now. Mean you got your own players on facebook posting look at me I'm a gangsta pics lol.

Then that NCAA video of things not allowed they made. What a joke that is now, with the exception of the machine gun/six shooter bit I could go through the SEC and find that in every single game.

I'd be willing to bet that the 80s Miami would be even more popular now due to its thuggish attitudes and actions today than it ever was in the peak of the 80's.

onlyfrbama
12-19-2009, 10:54 PM
The U and anyone associated with it should be utterly embarrassed by that piece of work. I thought the beginning about the CHS regime was good and pretty accurate. It was downhill after that. Once the thugs took over it went down the toilet.

rolling baby
12-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Anybody know why Schellenberger was never seriously considered at Alabama as a hc?

Texaubie
12-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Anybody know why Schellenberger was never seriously considered at Alabama as a hc?

I liked when Schellenberger promised OU back to the glory years and then quit mid-season.

IllinoisDawg63
12-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Paterno's greatest win ever New Year's 1987-F**K THUG U!!

rolling baby
12-21-2009, 03:29 PM
I liked when Schellenberger promised OU back to the glory years and then quit mid-season.

I'm talking 80s Schellenberger.

SECgamecock453
12-21-2009, 03:38 PM
I have a "DA U!" hat, I wish I didn't miss this documentary. Will they be showing it again?

georgiaguy31015
12-21-2009, 08:56 PM
I have a "DA U!" hat, I wish I didn't miss this documentary. Will they be showing it again?

I'm sure they will. The question is when?

Storm
12-22-2009, 07:07 AM
I looked it up, it's going to be on again Sunday December 27th at 1pm on ESPN

BluegrassBelle
12-23-2009, 02:56 AM
It's probably on youtube already too :)

Heck Pup
12-31-2009, 01:34 PM
I downloaded and watched this last night. I thought it sucked and it made me dislike Miami even more.

A couple of things pointed out in the documentary:

Howard Schnellenberger is God. This man single handedly put an end to all racial tensions in South Florida by offering inner city youths the chance to play at the snobby institute of higher learning U of M. This great man wielded his pipe like a viking sword of justice, striking down all who would oppose his mustached sport coat wearing greatness.

Jimmy Johnson let the thugs off the chain, and basically ruined the sport of college football.

Dennis Erickson was not actually the coach of the Miami Hurricanes - the two National Championships won under his tenure should be credited to Luther Campbell of 2 Live Crew and former players like Michael Irvin.

Any crime committed by Miami's players was part of some sort of far-reaching conspiracy that involved racist white men incapable of understanding the culture of inner city youth.

Butch Davis is a horrible person who nearly brought the Miami program to it's knees, in spite of all the games he won.

The Miami Hurricanes are the greatest football program of all time. Forget that they played in the Big East for much of their "reign" - their record of dominance during the time they were allowed to make a mockery of the sport is not matched in CFB history.

The @$$ pounding put on them by Gene Stallings and Alabama never actually occurred.

I hate to say this, but after watching this film, the part at the end when they tore down the Orange Bowl actually gave me a stiffy.

I'm so glad they have now been reduced to the joke of a program that you see today.

Wave&Dawgs
12-31-2009, 01:39 PM
HH, your post was way more biased than the documentary. I think your just a Miami hater who would have hated the documentary regardless of what it contained, unless it had smeared them like you did.

Since I wasn't around back then and really had no pre-conceived notions of their program from the 80's and 90's, I went into it unbiased and not knowing what to expect and I thought it was an excellent documentary. I've watched a good bit of the 30 for 30's and I thought it was easily one of the best ones.

Bama_Man
12-31-2009, 01:51 PM
HH, your post was way more biased than the documentary. I think your just a Miami hater who would have hated the documentary regardless of what it contained, unless it had smeared them like you did.

Since I wasn't around back then and really had no pre-conceived notions of their program from the 80's and 90's, I went into it unbiased and not knowing what to expect and I thought it was an excellent documentary. I've watched a good bit of the 30 for 30's and I thought it was easily one of the best ones.

Thats complete bullsh!t. I am not a Miami hater, never have been, yet the documentary was HORRIBLE. Go read my earlier post in this thread.

This wasnt a documentary, it was a thug highlight reel with 2 Live Crew music. There was no real emotion to the documentary, no real stories, just bits and pieces of games surrounded by footage of the players acting like animals.

I like how it ended in 91 too, shame they seemed to want to act like Miami was still a top tier program and would dominate teams, but they didnt show the DRUBBING Bama gave them in the 93 Sugar Bowl, but they did show the Sugar Bowl from the year before, and made it seem like Alabama players were going up to Miami players and telling them they were sooo much better than they were. Thats horse****.

Read the quote from my sig, from the most arrogant a-hole on the planet, a guy who thought he was great when in reality he was nothing more than mediocre.

Heck Pup
12-31-2009, 02:10 PM

Since you are younger, let me explain a couple of things for you.

During the time most of this stuff was going on (1980-1990) I was between 5-15 years old. Most of what I knew about college football came beamed in over the 3 or 4 channels our wooden console TV picked up with an antenna.

I had a subscription to SI then too, but I was mostly into pro ball then.

I actually HAD NO CLUE that Miami's players acted the way they did (to that degree), all I knew was that they won championships. You couldn't tune in 500 sports channels on a satellite dish or search for archived clips on YouTube, so my knowledge of the Miami program was very limited. There was no ESPN Classic. Most of the footage I saw last night I was witnessing for the first time.

During this time of my life I only knew two basic things about college football:

1. Herschel Walker was the best football player ever.
2. I was not allowed to root for any other team besides Georgia, who was then under the tutelage of Ray Goff and pretty much sucked.

So no, I was not then, nor had I ever been, a Miami "hater". After I got into college FB when my obsession with things like Thundercats waned, I had always heard Miami was a bunch of thugs, but up until last night I really had no clue of how bad it actually was down there. Those guys acted like complete thugs and were proud of this fact.

That "documentary" only glanced over all the REAL controversy that surrounded that program - like the bilking of government funds, multiple arrests, the "7th Floor Crew", ect. It reminded me of a Michael Moore documentary, which is less like a documentary and more like propaganda designed to sway the audience a certain way, instead of presenting all the facts.

The documentary failed to mention many of Miami's shortcomings like the Alabama a$$ kicking (which I actually DO REMEMBER - that George Teauge strip was epic) and all the other negative stuff that Miami was associated with. It just came across to me as a bunch of washed up thugs staring into a camera bragging about how great they used to be.

Do some research about all the stuff that guy left out of his film and tell me if you still feel the same way after.

Bama_Man
12-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Since you are younger, let me explain a couple of things for you.

During the time most of this stuff was going on (1980-1990) I was between 5-15 years old. Most of what I knew about college football came beamed in over the 3 or 4 channels our wooden console TV picked up with an antenna.

I had a subscription to SI then too, but I was mostly into pro ball then.

I actually HAD NO CLUE that Miami's players acted the way they did (to that degree), all I knew was that they won championships. You couldn't tune in 500 sports channels on a satellite dish or search for archived chips on YouTube, so my knowledge of the Miami program was very limited. There was no ESPN Classic. Most of the footage I saw last night I was witnessing for the first time.

During this time of my life I only knew two basic things about college football:

1. Herschel Walker was the best football player ever.
2. I was not allowed to root for any other team besides Georgia, who was then under the tutelage of Ray Goff and pretty much sucked.

So no, I was not then, nor had I ever been, a Miami "hater". After I got into college FB when my obsession with things like Thundercats waned, I had always heard Miami was a bunch of thugs, but up until last night I really had no clue of how bad it actually was down there. Those guys acted like complete thugs and were proud of this fact.

That "documentary" only glanced over all the REAL controversy that surrounded that program - like the bilking of government funds, multiple arrests, the "7th Floor Crew", ect. It reminded me of a Michael Moore documentary, which is less like a documentary and more like propaganda designed to sway the audience a certain way, instead of presenting all the facts.

The documentary failed to mention many of Miami's shortcomings like the Alabama a$$ kicking (which I actually DO REMEMBER - that George Teauge strip was epic) and all the other negative stuff that Miami was associated with. It just came across to me as a bunch of washed up thugs staring into a camera bragging about how great they used to be.

Do some research about all the stuff that guy left out of his film and tell me if you still feel the same way after.

I remembered very little of the late 80's Miami team, as I was really young, but my first memory of Alabama football is the 93 Sugar Bowl.
Honest to God, to this day Ive never seen a set of DT's control a game more than Copeland and Curry did that day. Gino Torretta looked like a scared child out there.

The Teague/Thomas play is my favorite play in Bama history.I wasnt around for the Sugar Bowl stand v. PSU in 79 or the Run in the Mud by Stabler vs. AU, but I can still picture Teague coming up from behind and taking the ball away from that arrogant POS Thomas. My quote in my sig is from the pre-game week. Thomas was spouting off about Bama, even though Bama had a better defense and a way better secondary than Miami had faced all year.

FYI, the Teague play did not count. Bama was offsides. It saved a TD, but Miami got the ball back.

EDIT-
here is a couple SI articles, most notable the open letter to Miami President Foote by SI writer Alexander Wolff
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1006688/index.htm
Why Miami Should drop Football

here is an article about the 93Sugar Bowl, btw the SI archives online are FREAKIN SWEET! check them out if you get bored one day
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1137538/index.htm

GatorMan32
12-31-2009, 02:47 PM
The 7th Floor Crew was actually more recent. The 80's and early 90's Miami had everything from drugs openly and widely used with drug tests "lost" in the drawer of Jimmy Johnson and then Dennis Erickson after him to pay for play right in the lockerroom with Luke handing out hundred dollar bills for big plays, to the infamous fatigues at the Fiesta Bowl (where they proceeded to have their butts handed to them) to arrests all over the place to all kinds of abuses of women to never going to a single class and it goes on and on. That was the Miami semi pro team mentality, they were not really a college program at all.

By the way back when they were good they never did that stupid U stuff. That is what their fans do because they felt left out with the Gator chomp and the Seminole chop.

Bama_Man
12-31-2009, 02:56 PM
The 7th Floor Crew was only a couple years ago, I used to have the song they made on my computer.

Article about 7th Floor Crew:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/051118/crew

LSUTigers1404
12-31-2009, 08:42 PM
GM, I forgot which washed up Thug Ua alumn said this, but one of them took a shot at Florida. They were discussing the UM/FSU rivalry and one of them said, "I always respected FSU because they put us on the schedule, unlike those Gators."