BigTen to add another team? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : BigTen to add another team?

XPS
12-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Thats what the word is, KT whats your take?

kentubbybasketball
12-16-2009, 05:02 PM
I think it'll be great for the league. Obviously, I'm a big Big Ten fan, because that's my birthplace (Minnesota), and I love my Gophers. Personally, I think it's kinda odd having an 11 team league. Getting up to 12 would be much more even and they could split off into divisions kinda like the Sun Belt and SEC does if they wanted.

I'm hearing some Big 12 names (Texas and Mizzou) and Big East (Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse) being thrown out there. Some of those seem outrageous to me... fat chance 'Cuse leaves the BE. I've always felt like Kentucky would be a natural fit in the Big Ten personally. I wouldn't be opposed to such if it were to happen (which it won't IMO).

XPS
12-16-2009, 05:15 PM
I think it'll be great for the league. Obviously, I'm a big Big Ten fan, because that's my birthplace (Minnesota), and I love my Gophers. Personally, I think it's kinda odd having an 11 team league. Getting up to 12 would be much more even and they could split off into divisions kinda like the Sun Belt and SEC does if they wanted.

I'm hearing some Big 12 names (Texas and Mizzou) and Big East (Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse) being thrown out there. Some of those seem outrageous to me... fat chance 'Cuse leaves the BE. I've always felt like Kentucky would be a natural fit in the Big Ten personally. I wouldn't be opposed to such if it were to happen (which it won't IMO).

I wouldn't either, but, the BigTen in my view is alot like the SEC, most teams outside of IU and maybe Mich St are football first fans...

Herchel
12-16-2009, 05:28 PM
I've always felt like Kentucky would be a natural fit in the Big Ten personally.

Me too. Any state or commonwealth that calls a fish camp a resort belongs in the Big 10. :raz:

kentubbybasketball
12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
With Cal here, we don't really fit the slow it down, halfcourt style of Big Ten basketball. But, even Tubby's Gophers and Izzo's Spartans are uptempo teams now.

boxvic
12-16-2009, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't either, but, the BigTen in my view is alot like the SEC, most teams outside of IU and maybe Mich St are football first fans...

The fans might be football first, but the schools certainly aren't. UK could be a power in the Big Ten in football. Over the last three seasons the only two Big Ten teams that could have consistantly beat UK would have been OSU and PSU... and neither of them have been as good as Florida or Alabama.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a move to the Big Ten at all.

XPS
12-16-2009, 06:05 PM
The fans might be football first, but the schools certainly aren't. UK could be a power in the Big Ten in football. Over the last three seasons the only two Big Ten teams that could have consistantly beat UK would have been OSU and PSU... and neither of them have been as good as Florida or Alabama.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a move to the Big Ten at all.

Agreed to a point, i feel like Michigan won't be down for long...

deterp
12-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Geographically the only school which fits is Missouri. That's been tossed about for years and Mizzou has yet to leave their conference.

ND won't join because ND likes being an independent.

The major force behind the latest talk is JoePa and he's not going to be around that much longer, probably not after next season. Some of the football coaches are saying it might be a good idea, yet some of the football coaches are thinking it's better for the players not to have the extra games and risk injury. IMHO, those are the smart coaches, ones who put the kids before the money.

Anyway, it's all about football and this is a basketball place. ;)

Storm
12-16-2009, 07:38 PM
i never thought about UK. But I don't see them leaving the $$$$ of the SEC. basketball wise, I'd like to see a Syracuse, Pitt, or WVU.

RedNekTiger
12-16-2009, 07:41 PM
WVU would sign just to get a shot at RichRod in football.

Storm
12-16-2009, 07:51 PM
LOL.....they are still a year or two away from this being a possibility. By that time Rich Rod will either have Michigan back to being what they were, or he'll be pumping gas back home in Morgantown.

RedNekTiger
12-16-2009, 07:57 PM
No one in Morgantown would buy gas from him. He is HATED. I don't mean in the LSU hates Saban, Auburn / Alabama, Kentucky / Laetnner way. They would literally spit on the man if they saw him on the streets.

georgiaguy31015
12-16-2009, 08:56 PM
If this happens and in my opinion it will happen it will be happening because of football and basketball would be secondary. I don't believe Kentucky is even an option nor would it even make sense. I believe it's down to Louisville, Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt and WVU. I believe that Pitt gives you the best of both worlds football and basketball.

kentubbybasketball
12-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Geographically the only school which fits is Missouri. That's been tossed about for years and Mizzou has yet to leave their conference.

More so than Kentucky?

GR8NESS
12-20-2009, 12:17 AM
HELL NO! Leave the SEC and I drop my UK fandom. Don't be a bunch of pansies and wuss out to an easier football league.

kentubbybasketball
12-20-2009, 12:21 AM
There's no talk of this even being discussed by anybody with an opinion that matters. We just speaking in hypothetical about "UK to the Big Ten."

Storm
12-20-2009, 01:15 AM
from the big 10 boards, it seems to be leaning on WVU, Mizzou, or Rutgers. Those are the three that i've seen pop up the most.

and on the buckeye board, someone suggested that ohio state just leave the big 10 and join the SEC. That guy was promptly ridiculed by everyone.

GR8NESS
12-20-2009, 03:35 AM
I'm just speaking in my hypothetical opinion about a hypothetical situation just like everyone else hypothesizing on this hypothetical proposal with a hypothetical result.

boxvic
12-20-2009, 03:42 AM
I'm just speaking in my hypothetical opinion about a hypothetical situation just like everyone else hypothesizing on this hypothetical proposal with a hypothetical result.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd rather be in a football conference where we had a shot at going to the national championship game before getting our asses kicked by Florida, rather than just getting it kicked by Florida in a meaningless regular season game.

Kentucky could instantly compete with Ohio State and beat Michigan in football. There are still those who doubt we can ever compete with Florida.

georgiaguy31015
12-20-2009, 09:09 AM
from the big 10 boards, it seems to be leaning on WVU, Mizzou, or Rutgers. Those are the three that i've seen pop up the most.

and on the buckeye board, someone suggested that ohio state just leave the big 10 and join the SEC. That guy was promptly ridiculed by everyone.

The SEC wouldn't take OSU anyway. OSU is 0-9 vs. the SEC as of late. Hell, even Vandy has done better than that. Why would the SEC want to take a team that is that bad?

steelyvan
12-20-2009, 09:37 AM
did you all see that the Governor in Missouri was publicly supporting UM moving to the SEC? UM might accept an offer but I have been led to believe the B10 prefers to expand east to open bigger media/revenue ops. we'll see.

kentubbybasketball
12-20-2009, 02:44 PM

Mizzou has publically said they'd be interested. The biggest winner in all of this could be Memphis BTW.

georgiaguy31015
12-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Mizzou has publically said they'd be interested. The biggest winner in all of this could be Memphis BTW.

How so?

kentubbybasketball
12-20-2009, 03:05 PM
If Mizzou leaves the B12, the B12 is gonna want to keep 11 teams, so they'll need a new team. Memphis could be attractive.

georgiaguy31015
12-20-2009, 04:55 PM
If Mizzou leaves the B12, the B12 is gonna want to keep 11 teams, so they'll need a new team. Memphis could be attractive.

The Big 12 has 12 teams not 11 and if Missouri leaves the Big 12 I can almost guarantee that Memphis will not be even a possibility to be in the Big 12.

GR8NESS
12-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Well, from a location standpoint, Memphis might make sense...but they're not gonna want them from a football standpoint. Memphis had an attendance of 1,000 at a FB game this year. Baylor thinks that's weak sauce. If the Big XII lost Mizzou I'd expect them to look at TCU or maybe a BYU/Utah for the north division...but that's an awful long way west.

kentubbybasketball
12-21-2009, 11:50 AM
The Big 12 has 12 teams not 11 and if Missouri leaves the Big 12 I can almost guarantee that Memphis will not be even a possibility to be in the Big 12.

Maybe, I'm missing something but the Big 12 has 12 teams. If Mizzou leaves, then it's 11, which is a very uneven number. I'm not sure why the Big 12 wouldn't want Memphis. The geography makes perfect sense, and from a basketball standpoint they could use the firepower. I'm not much on football, but it's a step back going from Mizzou to Memphis I believe, considering Mizzou has been good of late, but I'd take Memphis hoops in a minute and cut my losses. With Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska, and with Kansas having Turner Gill, I'm not worried about the Big 12 gridiron anyway.

georgiaguy31015
12-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Maybe, I'm missing something but the Big 12 has 12 teams. If Mizzou leaves, then it's 11, which is a very uneven number. I'm not sure why the Big 12 wouldn't want Memphis. The geography makes perfect sense, and from a basketball standpoint they could use the firepower. I'm not much on football, but it's a step back going from Mizzou to Memphis I believe, considering Mizzou has been good of late, but I'd take Memphis hoops in a minute and cut my losses. With Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska, and with Kansas having Turner Gill, I'm not worried about the Big 12 gridiron anyway.

I misunderstood what you meant in your previous post. I apologize and Memphis would be good basketball wise or at least potentially they could be but I bleieve the Big 12 would make a move that would help in football not basketball and I believe that puts Memphis out.

kentubbybasketball
12-22-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm stupid, I know this is about football. And, sense it is, what about Texas, since their name has been brought up rather quietly. Texas generates more money than anybody in football, but the Big Ten's television package would allow Texas to make even more money. And, sure Texas doesn't need the money, but Mack Brown didn't need a $2 million raise either, but he took it. If money is there, you take it.

Storm
12-22-2009, 08:39 AM
geographically, Texas just doesn't make much sense. At least all the other teams mentioned border a Big 10 state.......I believe.

kentubbybasketball
12-22-2009, 08:45 AM
What league is Boston College in again, and what ACC state do they border? And, how are they helping ACC football or basketball for that matter (with all due respect to Al Skinner). This is about money and honestly, Texas would bring it in football, and they'd help basketball, too.

Storm
12-22-2009, 09:35 AM
just saying, they seem to be looking at the geographics as well.

georgiaguy31015
12-22-2009, 06:02 PM
geographically, Texas just doesn't make much sense. At least all the other teams mentioned border a Big 10 state.......I believe.

I agree. Texas doesn't make sense from a geographic standpoint but that would be one hell of a coup.

steelyvan
12-24-2009, 01:21 AM
if UM goes, it's TCU.

georgiaguy31015
12-24-2009, 06:51 AM
if UM goes, it's TCU.

That's what I figure as well but you never know what might happen.