Big 10 Expansion - now on the front burner... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Big 10 Expansion - now on the front burner...

Rocky@theTop
12-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Big Ten Conference looking into expanding to 12 teams?

Teddy Greenstein explains why one of the most powerful athletic conferences in nation would want to add another institution; Here's a hint: It's green

Jim Delany never will be a contestant on "Top Chef," but the Big Ten commissioner frequently has used a cooking analogy when asked about the prospects of Big Ten expansion.

"A back-burner issue," he has called it.

Not anymore. According to a league official, the Big Ten will release a statement Tuesday saying the matter has moved to the front burner.

The first sign of change came from former Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez, who told Wisconsin's athletic board on Friday that Delany "is going to take this year to really be more aggressive about it. I just think everybody feels [expansion] is the direction to go, coaches and administrators."

A league source on Monday cited a "growing groundswell" of support among athletic directors for expansion.

In 1990, the Big Ten became the Bigger 11 by adding Penn State. (The Nittany Lions had to wait until 1993 to vie for their first Rose Bowl.) In 1999, Notre Dame stiff-armed the league's overtures, and that put the issue on ice.

Why is it being revisited now?

The biggest reason, as always, is the stuff that doesn't grow on trees: money. If the league expands to 12 teams and two divisions -- like the SEC, Big 12 and ACC -- it would create a Big Ten title game that could be worth $5 million or more to the league. The Big Ten Network would love to televise it, and the conference has a 51 percent ownership stake in the network.

Why else?

Some Big Ten honchos didn't like seeing the SEC and Big 12 title games dominate the tube on Dec. 5. The Big Ten football offerings were Fresno State-Illinois and Wisconsin-Hawaii.

"We're irrelevant for the last three weeks of the football season because we're not playing," Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez said.

Wouldn't it also help the Big Ten win some of these BCS games?

Proponents say yes, citing a shorter layoff. The evidence doesn't support that.

The ACC added a league championship in 2005 and is 1-3 in BCS games. And Oklahoma has lost its last five BCS games.

Which football coaches are pro-expansion?

Penn State's Joe Paterno and Wisconsin's Bret Bielema have been vocal.

Paterno lobbied at the Big Ten meetings in May, saying, "Everybody else is playing playoffs on television. You never see a Big Ten team mentioned. So I think that's a handicap."

Bielema told ESPN.com in May that "everybody would welcome a 12th team in the league and maybe having a championship game."

Everybody?

Not so fast. Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald joked Monday about being "the youngest old-school guy in the world," a traditionalist who respects the league's traditions.

He told the Tribune that his main concern is for the "health, safety and well-being of our student-athletes. We played 12 straight games and were incredibly beat up at the end of the season.

"If we prolong the season and take away the Thanksgiving break, I think we're taking way too many liberties there."

Where does commissioner Jim Delany stand?

He could not be reached Monday but said in May, "I'm agnostic. I could live with two divisions and a championship game, but I think that has a tendency to devalue the season-ending game and have a negative impact (in terms of at-large BCS selection) on your losing team in season-ending games.

"I don't want us to tear ourselves apart over the structure of football for the sake of expansion."

Delany also has reminded reporters that if the Big Ten were to expand, it would add an "institution," not a team.

Meaning a school whose degrees aren't weaker than the paper on which they are printed. And one with a strong overall athletic program.

Who might that be?

Paterno has mentioned Rutgers, Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

Rutgers would give the league an "in" to the New York TV market.

Missouri has been rumored forever. Cincinnati and Louisville might be considered.

How about the school that just launched Charlie Weis?

Notre Dame? Not happening. The school puts a premium on its independence.

Plus there's that fool-me-once, fool-me-twice thing.

"There's some pressure, I would suppose, to maybe go back to Notre Dame and ask again, which I would not be happy with," Paterno said in May. "I think they've had their chance."

Source: Chicago Tribune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-15-big-ten-foot-dec15,0,2350348,full.story)

GR8NESS
12-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Louisville might be considered.

I thought Delaney said he wanted an institution?? City College doesn't fit that bill at all. :confused:

Storm
12-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Rutgers seems like the most logical choice.

I wonder how this would effect the michigan/osu rivalry though. Do you put them in the same division so they still play every year, or in opposing division but still play every year and then again possibly in the championship game. I think you have to put them in the same division.

GatorMan32
12-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Other than ND there is no big name program for them to go get. The closest thing would be Pitt. They make sense too because of the natural rivalry with PSU too.

Also, the thought that Rutgers gets them in the NY TV market is a joke. Rutgers is not in the state of NY and Rutgers hardly has a passionate football following of any significant size.

fodive
12-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Iowa State is the most regionally, rivalry-related, fits with the image choice. But they aren't that good.

Cincy would do well to not compete head to head with Ohio State if they want to maintain their semi-powerful program.

Rocky@theTop
12-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I thought Delaney said he wanted an institution?? City College doesn't fit that bill at all. :confused:

Didn't you consider Louisville as a college choice?

fodive
12-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Other than ND there is no big name program for them to go get. The closest thing would be Pitt. They make sense too because of the natural rivalry with PSU too.

Also, the thought that Rutgers gets them in the NY TV market is a joke. Rutgers is not in the state of NY and Rutgers hardly has a passionate football following of any significant size.

When Rutgers was having their good run a few seasons ago, they got a lot of attention since there is no dominant cfb team here. It caused Syracuse to create a huge campaign about being "New York's Football"

SECgamecock453
12-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Just came to post this link, was beat to the punch. Anyways, am I the only one that thinks West Virginia is a good fit? It's close to PSU and OSU so they are regionally fit to be in the Big 10 as well. They are usually pretty good and would probably get more recruits from being in a better conference. But it will be sort of lame to have a 'Big 10' conference with 12 teams. It's already the Little 11.

SECgamecock453
12-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Syracuse has better history than Rutgers. If they joined the Big 10 they'd be bringing a huge basketball market as well.

Storm
12-15-2009, 12:39 PM
I like the thought of Syracuse, but not WVU. there's already enough jackass fans behind osu, they don't need to bring the couch burning capital of the US into the fold.

in regards to the name. I just don't think they can change it at this point. yes it's silly to have 11 or 12 teams in the "big 10," but that's what they are known as.

Rocky@theTop
12-15-2009, 12:46 PM
I like the thought of Syracuse, but not WVU. there's already enough jackass fans behind osu, they don't need to bring the couch burning capital of the US into the fold.

in regards to the name. I just don't think they can change it at this point. yes it's silly to have 11 or 12 teams in the "big 10," but that's what they are known as.

Hypocrisy is a bitch...
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/sioncampus/11/13/mythbusters/michigan-ohiostate-fans.jpg

Storm
12-15-2009, 01:03 PM
uh, there's a difference in booing your rival fan as he walks by and setting a couch on fire.

Rocky@theTop
12-15-2009, 01:19 PM
uh, there's a difference in booing your rival fan as he walks by and setting a couch on fire.

Um, I didn't say anything about couch burning. Try again...

Herchel
12-15-2009, 01:28 PM
I think Iowa State makes more sense than the rest.

Storm
12-15-2009, 01:31 PM
i never said Michigan didn't have jackass fans either. every fanbase has them. osu just has a lot more than others......LOL

Rocky@theTop
12-15-2009, 02:44 PM
i never said Michigan didn't have jackass fans either. every fanbase has them. osu just has a lot more than others......LOL

Backpeddling?

28buckeye28
12-15-2009, 02:48 PM
If it happens, of all the teams being mentioned I would have to go with WVU.

F250MustangGuy
12-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Iowa State to the Big 10, TCU to the Big 12

IllinoisDawg63
12-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Pitt or WVU is my liking. Penn St dropped playing both these schools and would be nice to begin this again. I'm sure the Big East big shots are going to do their damndest to keep Pitt over WVU. Pittsburgh is like the only big
city metropolis they have after losing Boston College to the ACC.

F250MustangGuy
12-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Big East still has Syracuse^

Trav
12-15-2009, 03:06 PM
I think the big 10 will look to Rutgers or another school that has the NYC market. I believe that would be a huge boon for the network. I love that one of the reasons against a championship game is that it will make it tougher to play in BCS bowls. An outright admission that their conference is inherently weak.

Bubba
12-15-2009, 03:16 PM
West Viginia and Rutgers/Syracuse

BergeLSU
12-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Iowa State to the Big 10, TCU to the Big 12

Would they then move OU or OSU to the North? They could rename the divisions Texas and North.

28buckeye28
12-15-2009, 03:36 PM
South: Ohio State, Michigan(Keep OSU and UM in the same Division), Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Michigan State.

North: Penn State, Iowa, Northwestern, Wisky, Minnesota, and or my top 2 choices Pitt/WVU.

It'll be hard for them to divide up the school geographically without making one division stronger than the other. Either way I am in huge favor of this actually happening.

ugabrad
12-15-2009, 05:42 PM
"Not so fast. Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald joked Monday about being "the youngest old-school guy in the world," a traditionalist who respects the league's traditions.

He told the Tribune that his main concern is for the "health, safety and well-being of our student-athletes. We played 12 straight games and were incredibly beat up at the end of the season.

"If we prolong the season and take away the Thanksgiving break, I think we're taking way too many liberties there.""

Why is the coach at Northwestern worried about this? They only need to deal with it once each generation...

georgiaguy31015
12-15-2009, 05:47 PM
I figured the Big 10 would wise up sooner or later I'm just surprised it's this soon. Of those teams they mentioned in the article none of them are exciting enough in my opinion but that may be the best they can do. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Storm
12-15-2009, 05:54 PM
"Not so fast. Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald joked Monday about being "the youngest old-school guy in the world," a traditionalist who respects the league's traditions.

"If we prolong the season and take away the Thanksgiving break, I think we're taking way too many liberties there.""

Why is the coach at Northwestern worried about this? They only need to deal with it once each generation...

my question would be how come kids in 4 other conferences can handle it, but yours couldn't.

boxvic
12-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Everyone is looking at this from a football only perspective, but there is also basketball to consider. Basketball might not make as much money as football, but I'd think the Big 10, which has been labled a basketball conference these last few years, would want to make sure they aren't hurting one sport to help the other.

Looking at schools with solid football and basketball programs in the Big 10 area would make me say that WVU or Pitt would be the best choices.

RedNekTiger
12-15-2009, 10:18 PM
WV would fly to the Big 10 in a heartbeat. But I think they would rather follow Va Tech into the ACC if an avenue ever opened.

Syracuse would be a good fit, as would Rutgers. Pitt would be an incredible fit. Penn State is a great rivalry. Ohio State is not far away.

Iowa would never allow Iowa State, same with Cincy and Overrated State.

georgiaguy31015
12-15-2009, 11:09 PM
WV would fly to the Big 10 in a heartbeat. But I think they would rather follow Va Tech into the ACC if an avenue ever opened.

Syracuse would be a good fit, as would Rutgers. Pitt would be an incredible fit. Penn State is a great rivalry. Ohio State is not far away.

Why wouldn't Iowa and OSU allow ISU and Cincy in?

RedNekTiger
12-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Iowa State is an after thought in Iowa. Being stuck in the Big 12 conference in a Big 10 state is part of that.

No way Ohio State is interested in allowing Cincy into the same conference as them. Goes against the whoel THE Ohio State University mindset.

Bamadan
12-16-2009, 02:38 AM
Pitt would be good as it would rekindle the Pitt-Penn State rivalry, but it would affect the Backyard Brawl with WVU. Louisville would be a whipping boy in football, but a power in Basketball. Notre Dame is too greedy to join a conference, even the Big Ten. Would the Big East risk decimation with this proposed move?

If the expansion happens, how can the Big Ten be called such? The MAC and Big XII is already taken. Do you call it the Big Midwest?

BergeLSU
12-16-2009, 03:14 AM
Everyone is looking at this from a football only perspective, but there is also basketball to consider. Basketball might not make as much money as football, but I'd think the Big 10, which has been labled a basketball conference these last few years, would want to make sure they aren't hurting one sport to help the other.

Looking at schools with solid football and basketball programs in the Big 10 area would make me say that WVU or Pitt would be the best choices.

It's about $$$$$$.

The biggest basketball schools make much less than football ones.

UNC had about $17 million in profits in 2008. Compare that to the $50 + million that Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc. make.

This move would be about national exposure likely because of this "basketball conference" moniker they have garnered. They want to be in the spotlight in both money making sports.

Herchel
12-16-2009, 05:18 AM
Missouri has expressed interest in joining the Big 10. What would be the chain reaction if they did?

Would the Big 12 take TCU, or would Ark move to the Big 12? If Ark moved, they would be playing some of their historic rivals again.

Rocky@theTop
12-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Missouri has expressed interest in joining the Big 10. What would be the chain reaction if they did?

Would the Big 12 take TCU, or would Ark move to the Big 12? If Ark moved, they would be playing some of their historic rivals again.

I can't see Arky leaving the SEC $$$ behind. Right now the dollar is more important than the rivalries IMO.

I really think the Big 12 should take TCU... good athletics and academics across the board.

The Pac10 better take BYU and Utah before they are left behind.

RedNekTiger
12-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Missouri makes sense to the Big 10 + 2.

And TCU fits the Big XII.

As to the PAC -10, Utah or BYU, sure, but they had better grab Boise State.

deterp
12-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Speculation aside, this is all JoePa's "one last chance" to drag another school into the conference. Why he's so insistent on that is a mystery because IMHO JoePa will retire at the end of next season.
FWIW, Barry Alvarez is one of those resisting adding another school and Wisconsin certainly has a consistently stronger football season than NU.
Hopefully Gunth will stick to his prinicples and hang in long enough at UIUC to keep the Big 10 as the Big 10+1. (PSU was added strictly for the football money, yet that hasn't really made a huge difference. We should send PSU back to wherever.)

georgiaguy31015
12-16-2009, 09:20 PM

That would be huge and a domino affect as well but I don't see Missouri fitting in in the Big 10 all that great.

Rocky@theTop
12-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Missouri makes sense to the Big 10 + 2.

And TCU fits the Big XII.

As to the PAC -10, Utah or BYU, sure, but they had better grab Boise State.

I just don't think Boise State is strong enough across the board to justify the Pac10 inviting them.

CShine
12-17-2009, 04:57 AM
If the expansion happens, how can the Big Ten be called such? The MAC and Big XII is already taken. Do you call it the Big Midwest?

Believe it or not, until 1987 the conference's official name was the "Intercollegiate Conference of Faculty Representatives." The term "Big 10" has been around forever but before '87 it was never official. It was only a pop culture term.

Maybe they should go back to their original name. ;)

deterp
12-17-2009, 09:27 AM
What Big 10+1 people are saying in the northern reaches of the conference. (Yes, we have IU and Wisc fans along with the NU and UIUC fans reading and voting)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-091216-bigten-poll,0,3472389,post.poll

SECgamecock453
12-17-2009, 12:20 PM

Syracuse can be like the new Minnesota with a crappy dome stadium. Now that Minnesota actually has an outside stadium, Syracuse can be that dome team. Haha.

IllinoisDawg63
02-01-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm hearing that Pitt is more than likely joining the Big 10-no formal announcement has been stated as of yet.

Urb Gruber
02-01-2010, 08:59 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/bogus-report-has-pittsburgh-set-to-join-big-ten.html

georgiaguy31015
02-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Pitt would definitely be one of the most logical choices in my opinion and I'd be shocked if it wasn't them.

WouldE
02-02-2010, 09:54 PM
There could be 15 teams in the conference, it'll still be the Big Ten.

I've already stated this here in another thread, but I think if the Big Ten doesn make a move it'll be because it's a good move for football. Basketball won't be a factor. Adding a crappy bball team won't hurt the Big Ten in basketball.

I would love to see either ND, Nebrasksa, or WVU added. There are a few others that would be an ok addition, but I'd rather see the conference hold off on expansion if they can't add a major football program.

I have mixed feelings about a championship game. I kind of like the season ending vs Michigan.

Urb Gruber
02-03-2010, 02:15 AM
There could be 15 teams in the conference, it'll still be the Big Ten.

I've already stated this here in another thread, but I think if the Big Ten doesn make a move it'll be because it's a good move for football. Basketball won't be a factor. Adding a crappy bball team won't hurt the Big Ten in basketball.

I would love to see either ND, Nebrasksa, or WVU added. There are a few others that would be an ok addition, but I'd rather see the conference hold off on expansion if they can't add a major football program.

I have mixed feelings about a championship game. I kind of like the season ending vs Michigan.

Tradition, one of the reasons CF is the best sport to watch/follow. JMO.

Storm
02-03-2010, 06:14 AM
i don't know why any big 10 fan would want to add Notre Dame after the way they have spurned offers from them the last couple decades. They obviously have no interest in joining and only care about making money for themselves. I say eff em and let em rot in Independent land.

DawgNBama
02-15-2010, 10:12 PM
It seems Texas is the team the Big Ten (11) is eyeing right now. I dunno. Got some mixed feelings about that one.

28buckeye28
02-16-2010, 08:27 PM
i don't know why any big 10 fan would want to add Notre Dame after the way they have spurned offers from them the last couple decades. They obviously have no interest in joining and only care about making money for themselves. I say eff em and let em rot in Independent land.

Yeah, but I know alot of ND fans that like to take shots at the B10. Would love nothing more then to have them playing for 4th place every year. Then again watching them rot is enjoyable aswell.

Cuz
02-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Let em have Virginia Tech then West by God Virginy can join the Almost Competitive Conference.

georgiaguy31015
02-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Let em have Virginia Tech then West by God Virginy can join the Almost Competitive Conference.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think VT is even in the running for going to the Big 10 but now that I've said that they will be the ones who are announced lol.

GR8NESS
04-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Big Ten would be a lot more interested in UK than UofL. And we'd politely decline. And the Big Ten would say "dat's cool" and start to walk out the door, briefcase in hand, and head back up to South Bend again. Then they'd notice this annoying little bit scratching herself and trying to hustle him "hey honey yo baby I'll make you real happy" and Big Ten would be all like "girl, get a hold of yourself, it ain't gonna happen" and she'd be all like "but you and me we can get DIRTY" and Big Ten would push her away and be all "Louisville, I told you to check yourself into the clinic. You nasty and need to respect yourself. I thought you were pregnant? DON'T YOU CARE BOUT YOUR BABIES?!?!?" and Louisville would be all like "I ain't pregnant no more baby baby baby please I can make you happy I need this I'M CLEAN I BEEN CLEAN NOW" and Big Ten would slam its car door in Louisville's face and tell the driver to speed away. Meanwhile UK would have to call the cops, again, because Louisville was popping a squat in their front yard. Again.

boxvic
04-20-2010, 11:10 PM
I still think UK would fit the Big 10... we wouldn't bring a huge media market though... but I still think it would be a bad idea to turn down an offer without serious consideration.

No offense to the rest of the SEC in basketball, but the Big 10--even in down years when it might not be that good--gets more respect. It would help us there. And in football, we could instantly become a contender. OSU and PSU (and Michigan if they ever get their act together) are the only teams that are really better than us year in and year out- and I like our chances at beating OSU and PSU more often than I do beating 'Bama and Florida.

It won't happen... but I'd be a liar if I said I thought it was a bad idea.

DawgNBama
04-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Here's something interesting on Notre Dame. See link below:
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/21659/swarbrick-notre-dame-will-monitor-our-environment

DawgNBama
04-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Ok, got some more possible (I say possible because I cannot confirm it one way or another right now) news:
It appears that the Big Ten is now definitely looking to the northeast for new members, and Missouri also might get an outside shot. I'm guessing they want to shut the Big 12 out of the St. Louis market, and get a foothold in the KC market. Hmm...
Also, I've heard that the Pac 10 is looking at Texas & Texas A&M now. Texas is cold on the idea, but TAMU seems to be somewhat receptive.

Click on the link for the source of my news:
http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=433043

georgiaguy31015
04-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Ok, got some more possible (I say possible because I cannot confirm it one way or another right now) news:
It appears that the Big Ten is now definitely looking to the northeast for new members, and Missouri also might get an outside shot. I'm guessing they want to shut the Big 12 out of the St. Louis market, and get a foothold in the KC market. Hmm...
Also, I've heard that the Pac 10 is looking at Texas & Texas A&M now. Texas is cold on the idea, but TAMU seems to be somewhat receptive.

As for my source on this news, I will have a link up shortly.

Texas and Texas A&M? Isn't that kind of far for the Pac 10? I never would have guessed either one of those two would have gotten a sniff. As for the Big 10 I think we all knew that they would go the Northeast area. The question is who?

DawgNBama
04-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Texas and Texas A&M? Isn't that kind of far for the Pac 10? I never would have guessed either one of those two would have gotten a sniff. As for the Big 10 I think we all knew that they would go the Northeast area. The question is who?

well, it is, but, they (Texas & TAMU) control three of the biggest markets out west: Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, and San Antonio-Austin. Pac 10 has the Las Vegas market semi-covered, thanks to USC & Arizona State, and the Albuquerque-Santa Fe market would be roughly equivalent to that of Lubbock, IMO, so not really much of a gain there. Colorado still might be a possibility, but I think the Pac 10 is loaded for bear, and is going after the bigger prize in the Texas flagships.

As for the Big Ten, I'm thinking one of either Syracuse, Rutgers, or UConn for sure, for exposure in the NYC market (supposedly). The other two slots I'm thinking are dependent on what Notre Dame decides to do. If ND joins, expect Pittsburgh to get a slot, even though the Big Ten already has that market covered. The reasoning behind this is that Notre Dame and Pittsburgh have a very long history with each other, and want to continue to play each other for a very long time. Penn State does not care for Pittsburgh at all (think us & GT, with PSU being the "UGa" of Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh being the "GT" of Pennsylvania), but if Pittsburgh is what helps pull Notre Dame in, I think JoePa will withdraw his objections to Pittsburgh.
If Notre Dame does NOT join, I see plan B having two of Syracuse, Rutgers, and UConn, along with Missouri.

georgiaguy31015
04-28-2010, 08:47 PM
well, it is, but, they (Texas & TAMU) control three of the biggest markets out west: Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, and San Antonio-Austin. Pac 10 has the Las Vegas market semi-covered, thanks to USC & Arizona State, and the Albuquerque-Santa Fe market would be roughly equivalent to that of Lubbock, IMO, so not really much of a gain there. Colorado still might be a possibility, but I think the Pac 10 is loaded for bear, and is going after the bigger prize in the Texas flagships.

Well nothing wrong with going for the top. The worst they can do is tell you no. I wonder what their plan B is though because I don't think plan A will work.

socalwildcat
05-09-2010, 03:17 PM
I still think UK would fit the Big 10... we wouldn't bring a huge media market though... but I still think it would be a bad idea to turn down an offer without serious consideration.

No offense to the rest of the SEC in basketball, but the Big 10--even in down years when it might not be that good--gets more respect. It would help us there. And in football, we could instantly become a contender. OSU and PSU (and Michigan if they ever get their act together) are the only teams that are really better than us year in and year out- and I like our chances at beating OSU and PSU more often than I do beating 'Bama and Florida.

It won't happen... but I'd be a liar if I said I thought it was a bad idea.

I agree. Back in the late 50's there was some talk of UK replacing Northwestern in the Big 10, but Rupp shot it down.

Storm
05-09-2010, 07:49 PM
i'll talk about any of it when something actually happens. this is like discussing a play off system in football. i'll believe it when i see it.

georgiaguy31015
05-09-2010, 09:44 PM
i'll talk about any of it when something actually happens. this is like discussing a play off system in football. i'll believe it when i see it.

Yea but unlike the playoff system this is actually going to happen and soon and this is a lot more fun to talk about at least to me lol.

Storm
05-10-2010, 08:04 AM
i don't see it happening for another couple years. that's just my feeling

georgiaguy31015
05-10-2010, 07:57 PM
i don't see it happening for another couple years. that's just my feeling

I agree and I think the Big 10 even said it would take a couple of years for everything to get worked out. For some reason the year 2014 jumps out at me like that is the year they are targeting at this point.

IllinoisDawg63
05-10-2010, 08:18 PM
They will probably not have championship in Chicago or Indy since they have basketball tournament between those two cities. They could go with Ford Field in Detroit and in Cleveland.

WouldE
06-09-2010, 08:47 PM

I hope the Nebraska rumors are true!!!

Storm
06-10-2010, 12:19 AM
sounds like we'll find out on Friday.

Optik
06-11-2010, 10:22 PM
ND just cancelled their 2013 game with NAVY, in Yankee Stadium. I can't think of too many reasons they would do that...hmmm...:think:

Football: Army-Irish tilt in 2013 off the books
By Sal Interdonato
Times Herald-Record
Published: 2:00 AM - 06/11/10

Get your tickets for the Army-Notre Dame football game on Nov. 20 at Yankee Stadium.

It could be the last time the two teams play in New York for a while.

A proposed 2013 game is off, athletic director Kevin Anderson said on Thursday.

"Unfortunately, we would have liked to play Notre Dame in 2013," Anderson said. "But Notre Dame has found that it's not going to work for them."

Anderson said Army is looking at Stanford as a possible replacement for the game. Stanford is scheduled to play in 2013 at West Point.

"I would love to see if they would be interested in playing us at Yankee Stadium," Anderson said. "I think that would be a tremendous game for New York, Yankee Stadium and the Pac-10."

However, there's a sleeper in the mix Syracuse.

"I think they had some scheduling issues where that might not work," Anderson said. "They would be another great opponent to bring to Yankee Stadium in 2013. I've talked to Daryl Gross and we would like to schedule some games." Gross is Syracuse's athletic director.

Anderson has also talked with Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez about playing a game at Yankee Stadium.

Anderson confirmed a Denver Post report that Colorado is interested in playing in the Bronx.

This rivalry has been running uninterrupted since 1927, right? You don't end that kind of streak unless it is something BIG.

georgiaguy31015
06-11-2010, 10:31 PM
That could be very very telling and I hope it means that ND is finally going to man up and join a conference. I will have to see it to believe it though.

USAFMEDIC
06-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Why dont the SEC consider Mizzou? After all, one of the stars on the flag down here belongs to Missouri so we have been a member of the South for a long time.

USAFMEDIC
06-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Why dont the SEC pick up Mizzou? They bring a lot to the table. After all, if you know your history, they own one of the stars on the flag down here so I guess they have been a part of the South for a long time just like Kentucky.

georgiaguy31015
06-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Why dont the SEC pick up Mizzou? They bring a lot to the table. After all, if you know your history, they own one of the stars on the flag down here so I guess they have been a part of the South for a long time just like Kentucky.

I think they are an option but I'm not sure how good of an option they are. I would like to add them and Kansas on the West and two ACC teams on the East just to make the transition easier but by all reports the SEC is going another route.

OffThePorch
06-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Why dont the SEC consider Mizzou? After all, one of the stars on the flag down here belongs to Missouri so we have been a member of the South for a long time.

good question... welcome to the board!

Storm
06-12-2010, 11:42 AM
i guess it doesn't really affect me as a Michigan fan since we already play ND every year, but I'd rather them not be a part of the big 10 because I wanted them to be left out in the cold.....lol