So Roy Williams is kind of a jerk. [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : So Roy Williams is kind of a jerk.

boxvic
12-14-2009, 02:00 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Roy-Williams-kicks-out-heckling-fan-at-the-Dean-?urn=ncaab,208335

He kicks out a fan of the other team for an incredibly non-offensive taunt... and yeah UNC was never in danger of losing.

When I first saw the blurb about this I thought, "hey I bet a UNC fan said something really nasty to the players on a team that is getting blown out and Roy took the high road." Instead it turned out Roy pulled a dick move.

SkyAntoine
12-14-2009, 08:56 AM
:rotf: "Hey, Deon. Don"t miss it!" Wow...Roy needs some meds.

Cap'n
12-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Wow he sure did open up a can of worms on his team. Imagine what visiting fans will do now. My guess will be that they will yell louder and more offensive things.

OffThePorch
12-14-2009, 09:18 AM
what an ahole... even the cops were pulling the guys shirt like they were the Coaches puppets.... thats some bs...

deterp
12-14-2009, 09:29 AM
This is a "topic of interest" ;) over at the ACC.
Not only did ol Roy want the fan outta there he:
1) claimed he only wanted to find out if the guy (obviously a P.Col. fan) had a valid ticket
then
2) told the after-game press conference that he'd walk if the press asked questions about the incident
3) allowed the SID to spin to the heavens to keep his image pure.

Duquies are already plotting. :rotf:

HunkerDown
12-14-2009, 11:32 AM
what an ahole... even the cops were pulling the guys shirt like they were the Coaches puppets.... thats some bs...

Seriously they started pushing and pulling the guy around for nothing, that is messed up.

Roy is a freaking baby.

steelyvan
12-14-2009, 11:35 AM
you should read for interpretation more closely next time. it should not have been the coach to address this but any university/program has the right to expect certain decorum out of invited guests. probably more to this story behind the scenes.

Cuz
12-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Sounds lame to me, and I said lame, not Lane.

OffThePorch
12-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Seriously they started pushing and pulling the guy around for nothing, that is messed up. Roy is a freaking baby.

makes me look at williams in a bad way... fans have every right to cheer or jeer..

deterp
12-14-2009, 11:48 AM
steely, the guy had a valid ticket to be in that seat. Most likely he bought it from someone he knows or he bought it over the internet. That's a prime "booster club" seat, not something a kid would be selling outside the Dean Dome.

But yeah, ol Roy addressed it, had his panties in a wad because someone was hollering (and nothing obscene) at his baby blues, and then tried to finesse the situation afterward. Since that wasn't working, he turned sulky with the reporters and refused to talk. Forbade the kids from talking too.

Not one of Roy's finer moments. He's generally much more calm and classy than this.

deterp
12-14-2009, 11:52 AM
If anyone would like to see it, I can get the link to WRAL "on-the-spot video, live and in color" and post it here.

boxvic
12-14-2009, 12:17 PM
you should read for interpretation more closely next time. it should not have been the coach to address this but any university/program has the right to expect certain decorum out of invited guests. probably more to this story behind the scenes.

The guy said "Hey Deon, don't miss!" I would think that is about as much in the realm of decorum as you can get.

kentubbybasketball
12-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Wow he sure did open up a can of worms on his team. Imagine what visiting fans will do now. My guess will be that they will yell louder and more offensive things.

Beyond that, UNC fans shouldn't (and hopefully) won't be allowed to say anything when they visit another team's arena then.

And, then Roy says let's not make a big deal about it... lol

kentubbybasketball
12-14-2009, 02:47 PM

What does "invited guess" mean? Did this guy not pay for his own ticket?

It's amazing to me that somebody like Roy Williams can be composed enough to win 2 national titles within 6 final fours, but he loses his composure in a 40 point game over something like this. Roy's always been known for being sensitive and that seemingly got the better of him here. I'm sure those blind UNC fans are backing him too.

HunkerDown
12-14-2009, 03:02 PM
makes me look at williams in a bad way... fans have every right to cheer or jeer..

Agreed.

HunkerDown
12-14-2009, 03:03 PM
What does "invited guess" mean? Did this guy not pay for his own ticket?

It's amazing to me that somebody like Roy Williams can be composed enough to win 2 national titles within 6 final fours, but he loses his composure in a 40 point game over something like this. Roy's always been known for being sensitive and that seemingly got the better of him here. I'm sure those blind UNC fans are backing him too.

Seriously... He acted like he let the kid sit in a private box paid for by the University. Completely and utterly ridiculous.

OffThePorch
12-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Agreed.

Wish i could throw my voice.. id go to a NC game & have some fun.. :rotf:

dnmuga93
12-14-2009, 09:33 PM
As a "blind homer" UNC fan, I will blame Roy's outburst on his use of Oxycontin for his surgically repaired shoulder...

:sarcasm:

Seriously, WTF is Roy doing here? Doesn't make him look good at all.

Cameron should be interesting...

OffThePorch
12-14-2009, 09:36 PM
As a "blind homer" UNC fan, I will blame Roy's outburst on his use of Oxycontin for his surgically repaired shoulder...:sarcasm:
Seriously, WTF is Roy doing here? Doesn't make him look good at all. Cameron should be interesting...

i know you were kidding.. but i thought that too..

steelyvan
12-14-2009, 11:08 PM
more to the story.....let's see if it surfaces.
question: have you EVER heard or seen this type of behavior out of CRW before?

deterp
12-15-2009, 05:35 AM
have you EVER heard or seen this type of behavior out of CRW before?

Not at UNC anyway. That's why it's such a shock to the hoops world...greatly out of character. Rat, yeah he'd do something like this. Gary might even tho Gary's generally more apt to "go off" on the bench than the fans. Maybe Bobby Knight did something similar back in the 80s? I don't remember. My first reaction was "What the heck bit ol Roy?".

And yeah, DIS is going to be mighty interesting as will the game at the Dome. ;)

kentubbybasketball
12-15-2009, 02:27 PM
more to the story.....let's see if it surfaces.
question: have you EVER heard or seen this type of behavior out of CRW before?

If there's more to the story, Roy's not willing to share it, which makes me think there really isn't anything else, because he's taken an image hit (and by not speaking he's not doing anything about it, and we all know Roy cares about his image).

steelyvan
12-15-2009, 03:44 PM
We may never see anything more from an "official source".
But from a post on another forum, fwiw:

"MISC wrote on 12/15/2009 11:55:42 AM:
All you have to do is look at the video from WRAL in Raleigh to see that this guy appeared to be VERY intoxicated during this incident. He was stumbling through the seats before the officers got to him. He was also in the section for friends and family of UNC players and staff for which he did not have a ticket for. People that were there said he was wandering from section to section, being loud and obnoxious. That being said, I think Roy overreacted to this. It is not his job to police the stands. This guy should have been removed but not at the request of the coach."

As I posted before, CRW should have directed someone else to do this (or that someone else should have known to act independently). Must not be widely recognized by some college bball fans that you do not sit in the middle of parents, etc and heckle players.

OffThePorch
12-15-2009, 03:50 PM
he didnt look drunk to me... Roy did.. If he was in the wrong section the Usher shouldve led him to his seat... a fan has a right to be loud & obnoxious if they so choose. http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/video/6605651/

boxvic
12-15-2009, 04:06 PM
We may never see anything more from an "official source".
But from a post on another forum, fwiw:

"MISC wrote on 12/15/2009 11:55:42 AM:
All you have to do is look at the video from WRAL in Raleigh to see that this guy appeared to be VERY intoxicated during this incident. He was stumbling through the seats before the officers got to him. He was also in the section for friends and family of UNC players and staff for which he did not have a ticket for. People that were there said he was wandering from section to section, being loud and obnoxious. That being said, I think Roy overreacted to this. It is not his job to police the stands. This guy should have been removed but not at the request of the coach."

As I posted before, CRW should have directed someone else to do this (or that someone else should have known to act independently). Must not be widely recognized by some college bball fans that you do not sit in the middle of parents, etc and heckle players.

Guy didn't look drunk at all. In fact he looked really surprised that he was actually being taken out, which leads me to dismiss all of the other stuff in that post too. Didn't look like he was in the "friends and family" section, look at the UNC bench, now look at the people around that guy...

steelyvan
12-15-2009, 04:08 PM
not in certain sections of an arena