Joe Paterno is awesome [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Joe Paterno is awesome

Dollar Theater
12-09-2009, 02:04 PM
"In case some of you younger guys don't remember, because you are all a bunch of babies compared to what I am, but we did play LSU in a bowl game down in Florida years and years ago," 82-year-old Penn State coach Joe Paterno said this week. "And it was one hell of a football game, and we had a great time."

McClendon never coached in another New Year's Day bowl. He reached the Sun Bowl in 1977, the Liberty Bowl in 1978 and the Tangerine Bowl (now the Capital One) in 1979 in his last game.

Paterno said he was friends with McClendon, who died in 2001, and remains friends with former coach and athletic director Paul Dietzel, who is two years older than Paterno.

"Paul and I were both assistant coaches at the same time (in the early 1950s), and when we would go to conventions I used to hang around with him because he was such a good-looking guy," Paterno said laughing. "I was such an ugly guy, and I used to get his leftovers."
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20091209/SPORTS0202/912090328/1001/sports&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

:rotf:

Friedchickenman
12-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Gotta love Joe Pa :rotf:.

Storm
12-09-2009, 06:53 PM
JoePa representing the sloppy seconds. classic

georgiaguy31015
12-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Now that's doing it right. Joe's a smart man than I ever gave him credit for.

IllinoisDawg63
12-10-2009, 03:12 AM
I think JoePa has good lock for a long time on being the all-time winningest
Div 1A coach. The thing I dislike about Penn St. is they play way too easy OOC opponents. They don't play Pitt for a Pennsylvania state rivalry like they had in past. IMO, for Penn St having the reputation they should play tougher
OOC teams than Akron, East IL, etc.

doc
12-29-2009, 05:32 PM
The great thing about the upcoming game is the history of both of these schools. Penn State and LSU are both top 10 teams in bowl appearances and in victories, with 41/26 and 40/21 respectively.

For anyone interested in the Capital One Bowl, here's a link to a story about Daryll Clark, the PSU QB:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09362/1024064-143.stm

Bamadan
12-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Div 1A coach. The thing I dislike about Penn St. is they play way too easy OOC opponents. They don't play Pitt for a Pennsylvania state rivalry like they had in past. IMO, for Penn St having the reputation they should play tougher

uh, Penn State and JoePa hits T-Town next year with 101,000 fans awaiting!!

ugabrad
12-29-2009, 06:24 PM

Interestingly, Penn State has the highest bowl winning percentage of any top BCS team (I'm not counting the newbies who haven't played enough games to get a representation of their capabilities), so they are apparently quite capable of beating top competition.

LSUTigers1404
12-31-2009, 09:46 PM
The great thing about the upcoming game is the history of both of these schools. Penn State and LSU are both top 10 teams in bowl appearances and in victories, with 41/26 and 40/21 respectively.

For anyone interested in the Capital One Bowl, here's a link to a story about Daryll Clark, the PSU QB:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09362/1024064-143.stm

I agree Doc. I am looking forward to seeing 2 of the more storied programs in college football history share the same field.