The Big 12 should be ashamed [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : The Big 12 should be ashamed

GatorMan32
12-06-2009, 10:16 AM
I just saw the end of the game and Nebraska got ****ed. They won that game and the Big 12 ****ing stuck it in and broke it off to get their team into the title game.

Wave&Dawgs
12-06-2009, 10:24 AM
I just saw the end of the game and Nebraska got ****ed. They won that game and the Big 12 ****ing stuck it in and broke it off to get their team into the title game.

How so, by giving Texas one second back? As much as I was rooting for Nebraska, the ball clearly landed out of bounds with one second left, as unfortunate as that was.

GatorMan32
12-06-2009, 10:36 AM
That game was over. Alabama is going to roll them hard. If they thought Nebraska plays defense.. they are in for a real shock.

Wave&Dawgs
12-06-2009, 10:55 AM
That game was over. Alabama is going to roll them hard. If they thought Nebraska plays defense.. they are in for a real shock.

I'm still confused as to what you're saying. Are you saying that Texas shouldn't have gotten that one second back? Because if so, the ball clearly hit the ground with 1 second still on the clock. I agree with you on everything else but the refs didn't rob Nebraska last night, they robbed themselves.

Bubba
12-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Texas is in for a rude awakening.

bamablazer
12-06-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm still confused as to what you're saying. Are you saying that Texas shouldn't have gotten that one second back? Because if so, the ball clearly hit the ground with 1 second still on the clock. I agree with you on everything else but the refs didn't rob Nebraska last night, they robbed themselves.

Watch every pass play in every game. That 1 second always ticks off the clock. ALWAYS. Nebraska was robbed.

Wave&Dawgs
12-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Watch every pass play in every game. That 1 second always ticks off the clock. ALWAYS. Nebraska was robbed.

Please. If it had been the other way around many on here would have said Nebraska was robbed because they should have kept a second on the clock.

I don't care if they ALWAYS take that second off the clock (which isn't true at all), the replay CLEARLY showed that there was one second left when the ball hit the ground. It's a reviewable play and it wasn't debatable at all.

There is no logical argument you can make to say that Nebraska was robbed right there because it's simply not true.

onlyfrbama
12-06-2009, 11:37 AM
You can't review time unless there is a reason to. There wasn't. Texas mismanaged that game and that falls on Colt McCoy. A 4 year starter should know better. Thanks to the help of the Big 12 refs Texas got a second chance. Watch every game and the game is over when the refs blow it dead not when the ball lands. That second rolled off and they got a gift. I know want to beat them extra bad because they got a gift they didn't deserve.

onlyfrbama
12-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Please. If it had been the other way around many on here would have said Nebraska was robbed because they should have kept a second on the clock.

I don't care if they ALWAYS take that second off the clock (which isn't true at all), the replay CLEARLY showed that there was one second left when the ball hit the ground. It's a reviewable play and it wasn't debatable at all.

There is no logical argument you can make to say that Nebraska was robbed right there because it's simply not true.

It wasn't a reviewable play because there was nothing to review. A ball out of bounds on a throw away is not reviewable. Basically they went outside of the review rules to give Texas that game. That being said Nebraska had a chance to block the FG and didn't. Still you can't review time.

Storm
12-06-2009, 12:04 PM
the stadium clock isn't the official clock. The refs keep the clock on the field. That rule was instituted after Michigan States home time keeper stopped the clock with 1 second left before a play was over in order to allow Michigan State to get off one more play vs Michigan and MSU ended up winning the game.

Look up "Clockgate" on wiki and it'll tell you all about it.

that being said, if what bama says is true, that reviewing a play to see how much time is left on the clock is nonreviewable, then yeah, Nebraska got screwed.

but, if you watch the replay, as soon as the head ref blew his whistle, it seemed like he new there should still have been 1 second on the clock. because even before he said it was under review, he was shaking his head no and telling Pelini to get back to the sidelines.

BUT EVEN STILL. Nebraska ****ed themselves by kicking the ball out of bounds and then adding a 15 yard stupid unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Sorry, but they got nobody to blame but themselves on that last one.

georgiaguy31015
12-06-2009, 12:13 PM
I really really wanted Nebraska to win that game but unfortunately the Big 12 got it right. There was one second left. Nebraska screwed themselves on the kickoff in my opinion. As for McCoy that was a strange play for him to **** up. I think he got confused with the play clock and the game clock and which was which. Not something a player of his supposed caliber should do but that's what I think happened.

onlyfrbama
12-06-2009, 12:49 PM
I think he got confused with the play clock and the game clock and which was which. Not something a player of his supposed caliber should do but that's what I think happened.

Yet this will be the player the media will hype all week to win the heisman because they have made it a lifetime achievement award. A senior QB does not make and should not make mistakes like that.

georgiaguy31015
12-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Yet this will be the player the media will hype all week to win the heisman because they have made it a lifetime achievement award. A senior QB does not make and should not make mistakes like that.

I agree with you but like I said that's a guess as to what happened last night.

Optik
12-06-2009, 01:22 PM
They needed to add the second back because the obviously not completely unbiased clock operator ran the last second off to try and keep TX from kicking the FG. They needed to add the second back, but a bunch of prematurely enthusiastic people were already trying to rush the field. So if they needed to call it a review and use the booth to double check and make sure that 1 second was supposed to be there, I have no problem with that.

Watch the replay, you can clearly see the ball hit the ground and then look at the clock and wait for the second to tick off. The operator ran the clock, which is also against the rules. So what if the refs called it a review to get all the idiots off the field and be able to get the game under control so they could play the last second which someone so slyly tried to tick off? The clock operator cannot be allowed to decide these games.

onlyfrbama
12-06-2009, 01:24 PM
They needed to add the second back because the obviously not completely unbiased clock operator ran the last second off to try and keep TX from kicking the FG. They needed to add the second back, but a bunch of thick headed fans were already trying to rush the field. So if they needed to call it a review and use the booth to double check and make sure that 1 second was supposed to be there, I have no problem with that.

Watch the replay, you can clearly see the ball hit the ground and then look at the clock and wait for the second to tick off. The operator ran the clock, which is also against the rules. So what if the refs called it a review to get all the idiots off the field and be able to get the game under control so they could play the last second which someone so slyly tried to tick off? The clock operator cannot be allowed to decide these games.

Neither should officials and obviously you could tell who they were helping last night.

Optik
12-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Neither should officials and obviously you could tell who they were helping last night.

Meh, if it comes down to the officials deciding it and the clock operator, I would rather the officials did. The people that decided this one was the Nebraska D, though. The officials did what was right when the clock operator tried to screw TX, intentionally or not.

Just like UGA in the LSU game, it was still their job to stop TX from getting down the field. The horsecollar is their bad. They didn't do their job when it mattered most.

PiggoBitttys
12-06-2009, 02:09 PM
It's in the NCAA rules that refs will never harm Texas, and if any way possible, to always help the University of Texas.

How many times could the clock have been questioned in other games? For example, LSU at Ole Miss, did they review the clock to see exactly when LSU's players knee hit the ground to see when the clock should've stopped?

Yes there was 1 second left but since they clocked it, that lost the game. If there was really 2 seconds left on the clock when he was down, then they could've clocked it and kicked the field goal.

I have seen a second run off the clock at the end NUMEROUS times. Texas will get their a$$es in a few weeks though and it will bring a big smile to my face.

Just Some Hog Dude
12-06-2009, 02:49 PM
It looked legit to me. I didn't watch the game that closely though.

Optik
12-06-2009, 03:17 PM
You know, if the clock operator had screwed up and ran an extra second off halfway through the 3rd quarter and the refs had stopped play and took a look at the reply to reset the clock, like they do all the time in football games, you would not have heard a peep about it. Since it happened at the end of the game though, everyone acts like it is special treatment for Texas because it helped them. It is all about the timing.

Yes they should have called timeout, and yes they are lucky. It doesn't change the fact that the ball hit the ground AND the ref blew his whistle and signaled the play dead with 1 second still on the clock. Putting that second back was the right call, no amount of bellyaching is going to change that it was the right call.

In the end, it won't matter. Texas, Cincy, etc...they would all be run out of the stadium by Bama. TCU is the one I think could give them a game. Bama would still win going away, but I think it could be close well into the second half. As it is, I expect Texas to lose by 2 or 3 TDs.

PiggoBitttys
12-06-2009, 03:30 PM
You know, if the clock operator had screwed up and ran an extra second off halfway through the 3rd quarter and the refs had stopped play and took a look at the reply to reset the clock, like they do all the time in football games, you would not have heard a peep about it. Since it happened at the end of the game though, everyone acts like it is special treatment for Texas because it helped them. It is all about the timing.

Yes they should have called timeout, and yes they are lucky. It doesn't change the fact that the ball hit the ground AND the ref blew his whistle and signaled the play dead with 1 second still on the clock. Putting that second back was the right call, no amount of bellyaching is going to change that it was the right call.

In the end, it won't matter. Texas, Cincy, etc...they would all be run out of the stadium by Bama. TCU is the one I think could give them a game. Bama would still win going away, but I think it could be close well into the second half. As it is, I expect Texas to lose by 2 or 3 TDs.

I cannot think of any other time a review has been done to check the time remaining. I can think of the Miami-FSU game this year. It was 3rd and goal, an incomplete pass and clearly the replay showed there was still a second when it hit the ground. They even reviewed the play to see if it was a catch and could clearly see there was a second left.

Did they change it? Nope.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=292500052

That contains the video btw if you want to see it. I wouldn't be belly aching if this was done normally. Can you show me any other game where refs have decided to put more time on the clock following a play.

Optik
12-06-2009, 03:44 PM
I cannot think of any other time a review has been done to check the time remaining. I can think of the Miami-FSU game this year. It was 3rd and goal, an incomplete pass and clearly the replay showed there was still a second when it hit the ground. They even reviewed the play to see if it was a catch and could clearly see there was a second left.

Did they change it? Nope.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=292500052

That contains the video btw if you want to see it. I wouldn't be belly aching if this was done normally. Can you show me any other game where refs have decided to put more time on the clock following a play.

I have seen them use the replay to check the clock, but no I have not seen them use an actual review to check it. They were already changing the clock and looked at replay to be sure the reset it correctly. Regardless though, I still think it was the right thing. The play was blown dead with a second on the clock, the operator ran the clock when he shouldn't have. Putting the second back was the fair thing to do whether the rules support it or not.

The argument supporting the running of the clock seems to me to be saying that the clock operator SHOULD be allowed to incorporate his bias into the game by illegally running the clock with no possible consequences for the team benefiting and no recourse for the team negatively affected while the referees should be drawn and quartered for putting the second back on the clock which was incorrectly ran off. The refs may have made some bad calls in the game, but that wasn't one. Against the rules or not, it was the right thing to do and after this season it should be incorporated into the rules, if there is no provision for it already.

PiggoBitttys
12-06-2009, 03:51 PM
The point is they don't do what they did for Texas for other teams. Like I said, look at the FSU-Miami game, still a second left on the clock when it was incomplete, but they didn't change it.

I'm not arguing what they did was wrong in the spirit of the game. I'm arguing this is something they do NOT do for other teams in other games. I just haven't seen this ever done in any other game.

Most teams want refs to be consistent regardless of the sport. If basketball refs are going to call it close on one end, they want to get the same calls on the other. If a baseball ump calls a wide strike zone at the beginning of the game, coaches want them to call it that way at the end. Whether the ref always make the correct call or not, they need to be consistent. And this move they gave Texas wasn't consistent with how they normally treat the end of games. IMHO.

Bacon
12-06-2009, 03:53 PM
I thought the 1 second was legit. Must have watched it 10 times on the replays. Unbelievable luck for Texas, and then they had to actually make the game winning FG too, which they did.

Unbelievable finish, and it will work in Texas' favor, as most of the media will say they should even be in the game, that they just got lucky, the mack Brown sucks, that Colt sucks.

I look for Texas to not only compete in the BCSCG this year, but to walk away with a win...

Just Some Hog Dude
12-06-2009, 03:57 PM
I suspect Texas will get humbled like OU did against the SEC champ those previous times. PiZ will be able to hold his head high at work again.

Bacon
12-06-2009, 05:57 PM
I suspect Texas will get humbled like OU did against the SEC champ those previous times. PiZ will be able to hold his head high at work again.

wish they both could lose... to Arkansas

:rotf::rotf::rotf:

msukb591
12-08-2009, 08:36 AM
The 1 second is legit in my eyes, but you have to believe that if it were almost any other team, they would have not gotten that second. The Big 12 refs had incentive in their pockets to make sure 12-0 Texas made it to the NC, and probably some conpiracies filtering down from the BCS as well who didn't want the mess of sorting out what would have happened if Nebraska won.

Texas deserved to lose that game. Texas had a timeout and McCoy could have managed those last seconds a lot less nonchalantly than he did. That, and the bottom line here is Nebraska handed Texas the game. Kickoff out of bounds, and a horse collar tackle penalty. Talk about a shiny silver platter embossed in its center with Longhorns. They should kick the kicker off the team. There's nothing like kicking a field goal to win the game, but you can't kick it into the open field right after? Not many players can say they won the game and lost the game in back to back plays...actually can any? Nebraska lost the game, Texas didn't win it. If you ask me it sullies the National Championship even more than already has been. So much denied conspiracy in the SEC to make sure Florida and Bama guaranteed a NC spot for the SEC. Now Texas doesn't deliver. Not that a Bama vs. TCU, Cincy, or BSU would have been any better. This season of unbeatens is such a copout. The same can be said for the Heisman choices this year.

IBCW
12-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I thought the refs got it right....Nebraska only have themselves
to blame for losing that game....the kicker kicks it out of bounds...then the DB horsecollar tackles Shipley.....all Texas had
to do was make the fieldgoal....though Coach Brown and McCoy
almost screwed themselves with that last play.