First College Basketball Job Has Opened [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : First College Basketball Job Has Opened

kentubbybasketball
12-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Fordham just fired Dereck Whittenberg. How does everybody else feel about midseason (or in this case, early season) terminations?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4710412

Fatboy
12-03-2009, 04:42 PM
1-4. I guess something had to be done.

kentubbybasketball
12-03-2009, 04:44 PM
To me though, not firing him last March meant that you were showing faith in him for at least one more season. Otherwise, why not just fire him in March... he wasn't losing any more (in these first five games) than he had been in the previous years.

This isn't pro hoops.

Fatboy
12-03-2009, 04:46 PM
I think the AD was pressured to do it but decided to wait one more season. Looks like the heat got turned up on him.

kentubbybasketball
12-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I understand all that, but ultimately the AD could've pretty much predicted this outcome for this season, and just fired him last year.

boxvic
12-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Barring mitigating circumstances, I don't like getting rid of somone before the true mid-mark of the season.

If you are going to fire someone after 5 games then you should have done it at the end of last year. Hell, this guy had at least won a game; there are a few squads out there that haven't yet.

It was clear he was never going to match his first year success (which wasn't amazing to start with); so he never should have been back to start this year.

That said though... this is still early enough to turn into a winning season, where as something like 2-10 would be impossible. So I can see where their side of it.

steelyvan
12-03-2009, 06:17 PM
i would guess there might have been some issues beyond the record. lack of progress with early loi signee's etc.

kentubbybasketball
12-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Barring mitigating circumstances, I don't like getting rid of somone before the true mid-mark of the season.

If you are going to fire someone after 5 games then you should have done it at the end of last year. Hell, this guy had at least won a game; there are a few squads out there that haven't yet.

It was clear he was never going to match his first year success (which wasn't amazing to start with); so he never should have been back to start this year.

That said though... this is still early enough to turn into a winning season, where as something like 2-10 would be impossible. So I can see where their side of it.

The only thing that's gonna save that team is if Jio Fontan comes back. If Fontan does indeed transfer, they still won't win, even with an interim, especially since that interim was an assistant of the guy that just got fired. If the interim was that good, maybe he would've helped Whittenberg's record more these past four years.

There's no solid explanation IMO in firing him 5 games in... NONE. If you want to win bad enough, get a new coach in March, let him have a summer to put his own stamp on the program and recruit some of his own guys. Changing coaches within the season is a big risk in college, especially since the exiled coach recruited these players. There's a sense of loyalty that's been stepped on by firing the coach. In the pros, it's about the contract and the money and players aren't as loyal.

For the record, Dennis Felton shouldn't have been fired when he was fired either. It was so late in the season that UGA should've just kept him, and axed him at the season's end. But, to take a coach away from his team during a year is kinda callous IMO. Damon Evans was likely afraid that Felton would've won the SECT again.

kentubbybasketball
12-03-2009, 06:52 PM
i would guess there might have been some issues beyond the record. lack of progress with early loi signee's etc.

The AD says he was been ridden pretty hard by people to make this happen.

As box said, there's no reported NCAA violations, so it really doesn't make sense. They really aren't any worse in 5 games this year than they were at the end of last year.

Now, Mike Jarvis being fired at St. John's after 5 or 6 games was different, because there were reported NCAA transgressions there.

georgiaguy31015
12-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Midseason I don't mind and that's just the nature of the game but this early is ridiculous in my opinion. Give the guy a chance more than 5 games for crying out loud.

kentubbybasketball
12-04-2009, 03:44 PM
They were 3-25 last year. Starting out 1-5 is better than last year if you ask me.