What is the future for FSU? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : What is the future for FSU?

fodive
12-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Now, I'm sure certain gator fans will have very strong opinions on this one, like the ones with "32" in their name...;)

But - what do you think the future of Florida State football is?

Personally, I don't think South Florida will ever pass them (and if they have it won't last). I still see Florida as a state being an ebb-and-flow between the big three of UF, FSU, and Miami.

We will never see a run as dominate as what FSU had through the 90s, but I don't think they will fall far from the national landscape like Notre Dame has, not with a weak conference and a plethora of talent available to them.

The is no reason to think they can't be a top 10 program again, and I think eventually they will be.

What say you?

rolling baby
12-01-2009, 05:54 PM
I see FSU currently in their dark period ala Bama-style (good ole boys not know what the h3ll they're doing). Jimbo experiment (why did fsu do that coach in waiting crap,again?) will fail gloriously. After that, who knows? Brian Kelly will prob. be the h.c. by then.

Just Some Hog Dude
12-01-2009, 06:01 PM
The future is bright. It is a top ten program. All they need is the right coach.

Bubba
12-01-2009, 06:21 PM
The future is bright. It is a top ten program. All they need is the right coach.

agreed.

FSU only sucks now, but that could be a gold mine one day. get the right coach down there and look out.

imo, they need fresh blood down there anyways.

georgiaguy31015
12-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Personally I see FSU going through a dark period and I believe it's already started but I also believe it will get worse before it gets better. I also don't think that Jimbo is the coach to lead them back to the promise land but we shall see.

2008 National Champions
12-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Jimbo isn't the answer.

GatorMan32
12-02-2009, 11:34 PM
They will suck as long as Fisher is the coach. Beyond that, who knows? No idea who will replace him in 3, 4, 5 years. But Jimbo certainly does not scare anyone. I don't ever see them being a horrible team but I could see them having their bowl streak broken one year and most of the time under Jimbo being a 6 or 7 win type team. Maybe sneak in 8 wins once or twice.

As long as USF does not make a coaching change, they will never get over the hump which means they will never really pass FSU even now.

FSU really exploded on the national scene when Florida went on probation in the 1980's and it allowed them to get to the next level because in the 80's both programs were very good on the verge of more and FSU got there. That lends to the ebb and flow theory. There were periods of the 90's where all 3 were good. One year there was a week or two where the 3 were ranked 1,2,3. So FSU does not need Florida or Miami to suck again to be good again. The state has the talent to support all 3 at the same time.

Optik
12-03-2009, 10:34 AM
The ACC cellar.

OxfordSeminole
12-03-2009, 01:28 PM
7 or 8 wins a year under Jimbo, maybe. Don't know how long they'll cling to him. I like to think he'd already be gone, but they're tied to him for the CASH.

Eventually, hopefully we'll get someone that can get us back to double digits most years.

swampmonster
12-03-2009, 01:36 PM
I say flush the entire Bobby Bowden coaching tree, and start over.

Fisher is part of that tree.

Otherwise the dark ages.

GatorMan32
12-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Here is the biggest issue for FSU. If they give Fisher 4 or 5 years and he fails, by the time they bring in a new coach, they will have been irrelevant for 14 or 15 years. Alabama never quite had that because at least every few years they would have a huge season like 2005. FSU would not have been a serious national title contender since 2000 at that point. Kids going through recruiting would have been 3, 4, 5 years old to not even born the last time FSU was a real threat. They have the ability to be a great program but they don't have the tradition of Alabama or Notre Dame to fall back on, so there is that.

But they recruit instate from one of the two or three best football talent states, if not the best, in the country. And they have a big alumni base in the state to recruit legacies from. So they will always have that.

I could be wrong but I think Jimbo will be an epic failure. If that proves to be accurate, then their next hire will be critical.

2008 National Champions
12-04-2009, 02:21 AM
I say flush the entire Bobby Bowden coaching tree, and start over.

Fisher is part of that tree.

Otherwise the dark ages.

Fisher was never really part of the Bowden "tree."

rolling baby
12-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Jimbo is practically an adopted son. He cut his teeth under Terry at Samford and Auburn.

dnmuga93
12-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Jimbo will not be the one to lead them back to the promised land. It will be whoever they hire after him. As most of us know, you want to be the coach AFTER the coach who follows the legend.