Rocky@theTop
11-30-2009, 01:42 PM
http://www.southbendtribune.com/

rolling baby
11-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Brian Kelly to ND.

IllinoisDawg63
11-30-2009, 01:54 PM
I so wanted him to stay and watch them sink further-damn it ND can't do anything right:)

deterp
11-30-2009, 02:00 PM
10 million dollars :eek:

And ND is dreaming of Bob Stoops? :shake:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-30-charlie-weis-fired-notre-damenov28,0,1382330.story

swampmonster
11-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Lot's of cash down the crapper.

They better get it right this time.

OffThePorch
11-30-2009, 02:19 PM
will it be Urban or Saban? hopefully neither.

Nkemdiche4Heisman5
11-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Stoops or Brian Kelly

Cap'n
11-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Saw that one coming. Guess he'll end up back in New England coaching Brady again. Can't beat that.

Heck Pup
11-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Urban Meyer - it is the will of your Catholic masters at the Vatican that you begin packing now for South Bend, less you run the risk of excommunication.

SkyAntoine
11-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Joker Phillips to ND.http://bestsmileys.com/fingers/1.gif

kentubbybasketball
11-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm not even into football much and this doesn't surprise, not with how Davie and Willingham were done. Weis was fortunate to even get this year, but with him fielding calls from about 6 NFL teams about being a OC, it seems like he'll land just fine. I wish it would have worked better for him.

I'm not sure Notre Dame can really attract the level of coach they feel they deserve. And, with Weis' hefty buyout, it might be a good thing, because they might have to focus on a more realistic candidate that can get them where they need to be. (Meyer and Stoops just aren't realistic to me).

It's gonna be tough to fire an alumnus, seeing as how they rely on alums for donations and such.

Bubba
11-30-2009, 03:50 PM
i think ND will try to make a big splash.

dont get me wrong, Weis was a huge hire, lol

Storm
11-30-2009, 04:00 PM
seems like signs are pointing to Stoops. Not sure why Stoops would want to go there though.

OffThePorch
11-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Stoops or Brian Kelly

sure... if they want to go with less than the best... imo the 2 best college coaches are at BAMA & UF..

msudawgs1964
11-30-2009, 04:15 PM
(Meyer and Stoops just aren't realistic to me).

why not? There are two realities here.

The first is Notre Dame is considered a championship program, regardless of when their last one was, which was 1988 by the way. They have 12 recognized national championships. Why would two coaches who have won national championships not be a realisitic hire at least from this standpoint? Would and up and coming mid-major coach been a realistic hire for UK basketball after Billy G was let go or would it have taken someone who has either won a championship or been close enough to it?

The second one is where Notre Dame needs to be is winning national championships again, well at least to ND folks, everything else is failure, so no other coach is going to suffice to ND folks except one with a championship pedigree, an up and comer ain't gonna work anymore. Davie, Willingham, and Weis were done because not only did they not win a national championship but they stunk while not winning one. They require this at Notre Dame, that you win a championship. They may be setting up the next guy for failure but hey, everyone has standards to uphold and even coaches who are alums that get canned don't stop the donations from coming if they could not coach. Actually more may start coming in.

P.S. I don't like Notre Dame, just don't think they should settle for second best as one of the storied programs of college football.

kentubbybasketball
11-30-2009, 04:21 PM
I think I understand the Notre Dame mentality, with all due respect I don't need you to preach it to me (as you suggest in your connection with UK, we are pretty much the same way).

My only point is that if ND owes Weis $18M, it's gonna take a lot to come up with to get Stoops or Meyer. It's probably take more than what Oklahoma or even Florida would offer in "retaliation." Thus, I think it's unrealistic that Notre Dame will get either one of them. Obviously, those two coaches played for the national championship last year, so that would please Notre Dame because of their pedigree, but it doesn't mean they'll leave in the name of "Notre Dame," when they already have championship level programs at OU and especially at Florida.

Since you bring up UK, I'll say this. We went after Billy Donovan during our last two coaching searches, because Barnhart felt like he was the best out there. Billy D politely said "no." We still went after him because we had to. I don't expect anything different from ND, but if I were a ND fan, I wouldn't hold my breath.

deterp
11-30-2009, 04:25 PM
seems like signs are pointing to Stoops. Not sure why Stoops would want to go there though.

B&G Nation and Irish Times are both pushing for Stoops. I'm not sure why he'd want that job either, Storm.
Part of the problem is that the alum (one heck of a powerful organization) will want someone to come in and work instant "miracles" and that's just not going to happen.

Cuz
11-30-2009, 04:47 PM
My dream.

Stoops goes to Notre Dame.
Paul Johnson goes to Oklahoma.
Willie Martinez goes to Tech.:raz:

msudawgs1964
11-30-2009, 04:50 PM
I think I understand the Notre Dame mentality, with all due respect I don't need you to preach it to me (as you suggest in your connection with UK, we are pretty much the same way).

My only point is that if ND owes Weis $18M, it's gonna take a lot to come up with to get Stoops or Meyer. It's probably take more than what Oklahoma or even Florida would offer in "retaliation." Thus, I think it's unrealistic that Notre Dame will get either one of them. Obviously, those two coaches played for the national championship last year, so that would please Notre Dame because of their pedigree, but it doesn't mean they'll leave in the name of "Notre Dame," when they already have championship level programs at OU and especially at Florida.

Since you bring up UK, I'll say this. We went after Billy Donovan during our last two coaching searches, because Barnhart felt like he was the best out there. Billy D politely said "no." We still went after him because we had to. I don't expect anything different from ND, but if I were a ND fan, I wouldn't hold my breath.

who's preaching? I asked why you thought it was unrealistic and gave my reasons why I think it is realistic, if you read in to it that way, oh well. If you think the buyout of Weis is going to stop Notre Dame from persuing the best coach out there, you are sorely mistaken. That school has money to burn on football, hell they have their own TV channel. :) Now whether or not they take the job is a different story but money won't be a drawback for them. By the way, they owe him 18 million because those knuckleheads gave him a raise and extension after going 5-2 in the 2005 season, which was his record when he signed the extension, which was also only part way thru the first year of the original 6 year deal. They were so enamored by that record they extended him to a 10 year deal to expire in 2015. Hell I would go coach Notre Dame if I was Meyer or Stoops just to guarantee a nice retirement package.

Bubba
11-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Stoops to ND has gotta be interesting to him.

hes been at OU for awhile now, and i dont know how many NCs or CCs he has, but they always have a ton of talent. outside of last years NCG, they really havent been as dominating as when he 1st got there. i think the time is right for him to go.

WouldE
11-30-2009, 05:15 PM
I'd be shocked if they get any of the top coaches to leave for what has been a coaching death penalty for a while now.

I think their best bet is to gamble on an up-and-coming coach. Kelly makes sense.

AlienBeans
11-30-2009, 05:23 PM
If ND wants to make a splash why in the world would they even consider hiring Kelly? Very few of even the rabid of college football fans know who this guy is. The casual fan isn't going to have a clue. ND can do MUCH better than this.

Bubba
11-30-2009, 05:37 PM
If Im Notre Dame, my shortlist;

1. Saban
2. Stoops
3. Steve Spurrier
4. Jon Gruden
5. Tuberville

the reason i chose all name coaches is bc, ND is as irrelevant as Pacman (the game).

If they want to get relevant, they need a coach who is known on the national scene, that can recruit nationally. they can take brian kelly, and when he shows up at a 5 stars house in socal he can spend the good part of a day explaining who he is and what hes done. ND doesnt have time for that. the recruits thinking, ok, i come to indiana, am i gonna win championships, or be miserable in indiana. how do you sell ND to kids who never knew ND was somthing long ago?

just a thought.

msudawgs1964
11-30-2009, 05:39 PM
If Im Notre Dame, my shortlist;

1. Saban
2. Stoops
3. Steve Spurrier
4. Jon Gruden
5. Tuberville

the reason i chose all name coaches is bc, ND is as irrelevant as Pacman (the game).

If they want to get relevant, they need a coach who is known on the national scene, that can recruit nationally. they can take brian kelly, and when he shows up at a 5 stars house in socal he can spend the good part of a day explaining who he is and what hes done. ND doesnt have time for that. the recruits thinking, ok, i come to indiana, am i gonna win championships, or be miserable in indiana.

just a thought.

I agree with you..

Storm
11-30-2009, 06:11 PM
apparantly Stoops has taken his name out of the running.

georgiaguy31015
11-30-2009, 06:14 PM
No shocker that he got fired and I think when it's all said done I think Brian Kelly will be the guy.

Nkemdiche4Heisman5
11-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Charlie Weis had no problem recruiting...I think that should be their last concern in a coach.

Dollar Theater
11-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Adam Schefter says Stoops is going to be the guy, despite what he said today.

rolling baby
12-01-2009, 08:43 AM
I've been saying B. Kelly for over a year now.

As for making a splash, remember when OU hired Stoops? UF hired Meyer? Name me one legendary cfb coach that left a top program for another one directly?

Heck Pup
12-01-2009, 08:58 AM
I think ND should go completely ba//s out with this hire and go after Lane Kiffin. I could see it happening.

Other Notre Dame coaching recommendations:

Joe Kines - He screams and yells funny.
Howard Schnellenberger - Wears a sport coat and tie on the sidelines and smokes a pipe.
Lou Holtz - You know you love him.
Terry Bowden - Resembles his father the most.
Phillip Fulmer - This man deserves employment.
Ed Orgeron - Meat... Market...

ThunderReb
12-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Let's see: Yesterday: "ND Source: Stoops to ND".
Today: "ND Source: Kelly is the man! PC pending after UC game on Saturday."

Saw these on a media outlet somewhere....the latter one came off of Bleacher Report, I think. Who freakin' knows?

Storm
12-03-2009, 12:21 PM
the best thing is that Notre Dame has become so irrelevent, nobody really cares outside of South Bend. It is not the dream job it was two decades ago.

swampmonster
12-03-2009, 12:27 PM
the best thing is that Notre Dame has become so irrelevent, nobody really cares outside of South Bend. It is not the dream job it was two decades ago.

I think that's why they keep firing a winning coach.

A lot of places, would consider .500 a step up.

Kids these days want sun and fun, who wants to freeze their butt off in southbend?

ND may have to face reality, .500 and mediocre may be all they can hope for.