SMU - the story of the year [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : SMU - the story of the year

Dawg in Dallas
11-29-2009, 01:01 AM
I realize June Jones has few fans here, but the job he has done at SMU is unparalleled. As a season ticket holder, I am truly pleased...

dnmuga93
11-29-2009, 02:58 PM
I agree DiD. SMU recruited me out of HS and I keep tabs on them from time to time.

I hope thie is a sign of good things to come. The "death penalty" really put them in a bad position, so bad that I don't think you'll ever see it implemented again.

Heck Pup
11-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Go Mustangs!

Dawg in Dallas
12-01-2009, 11:05 AM
SMU has accepted a bowl invite to the Hawaii bowl.

It will be their first bowl game since 1984.

This is only the 2nd time since the death penalty that SMU has had a winning record (the first winning season was a 6-5 record in 1997 under former Dawg Mike Cavan). The overall record for SMU coming into this season since the death penalty was 59-164-3 (.26 winning percentage).

June Jones has signed a contract extension and I suspect SMU will stay competitive so long as he is there. They will never be the Mustangs of old, but perhaps the worst of the DP nightmare can finally be put behind them.

HunkerDown
12-01-2009, 11:06 AM
My wife went to SMU before transferring to UGA.

F250MustangGuy
12-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Cant deny that June Jones is a pretty good coach.

Just Some Hog Dude
12-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I think all but two former SWC schools are going to bowls this year.

fodive
12-01-2009, 03:12 PM
SMU has accepted a bowl invite to the Hawaii bowl.

It will be their first bowl game since 1984.

This is only the 2nd time since the death penalty that SMU has had a winning record (the first winning season was a 6-5 record in 1997 under former Dawg Mike Cavan). The overall record for SMU coming into this season since the death penalty was 59-164-3 (.26 winning percentage).

June Jones has signed a contract extension and I suspect SMU will stay competitive so long as he is there. They will never be the Mustangs of old, but perhaps the worst of the DP nightmare can finally be put behind them.

No reason they can't be as competitive as TCU or other BCS busters. There is so much talent in that state it is crazy.

I'm rooting for them.

Dawg in Dallas
12-01-2009, 03:26 PM
No reason they can't be as competitive as TCU or other BCS busters. There is so much talent in that state it is crazy.

I'm rooting for them.

Actually there are several reasons they can't be as competitive as TCU. Due to its sordid past SMU has over the top restrictions on its recruiting. It wasn't until 2007 that a recruit could even visit campus without having already academically qualifying for admission to SMU - under the standards set for general admission. Think about that. Before 2007, no recruit could even visit without having met all academic qualifications that ensure admission for the regular student population. I also know that they were not allowed to even recruit JUCO players until either last year or the year before.

Even with the relaxation of these rules, the barriers to qualifying a student athlete at SMU exceed those of TCU by a wide margin.

fodive
12-01-2009, 03:40 PM
I didn't know about the academic restrictions. But, as I recall there are other programs with similar policies (Stanford and Notre Dame) - that can still be competitive.

Dawg in Dallas
12-01-2009, 03:42 PM
I am hopeful, they finally have a coach. So that is step one.

Herchel
12-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Bring back the Pony Express!

BTW, there are greatly differing academic standards within the SEC.

Dawg in Dallas
12-01-2009, 04:22 PM

I am aware of the differing standards in the SEC, but the restrictions in place at SMU were ridiculous for any school hoping to compete in Division 1A.

Just Some Hog Dude
12-01-2009, 05:10 PM

I doubt that.

Dawg in Dallas
12-01-2009, 05:15 PM
I doubt that.

Apparently you do not recall being the beneficiary of one of those differing standards...

Do you recall Michael Grant?

Herchel
12-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I doubt that.

I have no doubt you doubt that. Some people have difficulty facing reality.

There are also greatly differing standards for conduct.

As for academics, the last time I checked, UGA was #35, and Bama was #206. Vandy was the best in the SEC, followed by UF and UGA. I think Bama was 2nd in the West, behind Auburn.

Just Some Hog Dude
12-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Apparently you do not recall being the beneficiary of one of those differing standards...

Do you recall Michael Grant?

That wasn't academic. I recall something about him raping somebody in high school and the UGA president not allowing him to enroll. Richt had knowledge of this while recruiting him and got vetoed by a higher up.

Yea those UGA football players are real upper crust scholars. You guys kill me sometimes. Athletes are held to different standards than regular students as far as admissions goes.

Dawg in Dallas
12-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Differing standards of admission do not refer merely to academic standards. There are standards of conduct as well. If it is more difficult to admit a student athlete to UGA than Arkansas, does it matter why it is more difficult?

The fact is Arkansas got a highly sought after recruit because UGA would not admit him.

fodive
12-01-2009, 05:45 PM
The reality either way is, however, the fact that probably 60% or more of each SEC schools football team probably doesn't belong in college - be it at Arkansas or UGA. But that is the reality of "big-time" athletics.

Dawg in Dallas
12-01-2009, 05:47 PM
The reality either way is, however, the fact that probably 60% or more of each SEC schools football team probably doesn't belong in college - be it at Arkansas or UGA. But that is the reality of "big-time" athletics.

BTW, your earlier point about SMU competing with TCU, et al was echoed by June Jones today. That is his goal, so here's hoping he accomplishes it. :cheers:

fodive
12-01-2009, 06:04 PM
BTW, your earlier point about SMU competing with TCU, et al was echoed by June Jones today. That is his goal, so here's hoping he accomplishes it. :cheers:

If Notre Dame can get guys like Golden Tate to qualify and get in, so should SMU. One thing holding them back, though, is this generation has no idea (generally) that they were ever relevant.

Dawg in Dallas
12-01-2009, 06:09 PM
If Notre Dame can get guys like Golden Tate to qualify and get in, so should SMU. One thing holding them back, though, is this generation has no idea (generally) that they were ever relevant.

SMU will never be what the shell of Notre Dame still is. It's goal of competing with TCU, Boise, etc. is reachable.

Herchel
12-01-2009, 06:18 PM

Not at all. Some schools within the SEC have higher academic and conduct standards for athletes than others. That is a fact of life.

fodive
12-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Not at all. Some schools within the SEC have higher academic and conduct standards for athletes than others. That is a fact of life.

Sure, Vanderbilt.

Beyond that, we are really talking about degrees of 'tolerance.'

YR_Tiger
12-06-2009, 07:43 PM

Yep, we let anyone play ball at LSU... The whole "student athlete" thing is joke when it comes to big time football.

georgiaguy31015
12-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Congrats to SMU and DiD since he's the lone SMU fan on their great season by their standards and considering where they've been for the last several years and good luck to them in their bowl game.

ugabrad
12-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Yep, we let anyone play ball at LSU... The whole "student athlete" thing is joke when it comes to big time football.

"The mind is a terrible thing to waste... unless the body happens to play for our team!"

This was one of my favorite editorial cartoons of all time.

F250MustangGuy
12-24-2009, 10:11 PM
SMU is beasting

38-0 right now

Optik
12-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Yeah. Everyone was thinking that SMU was just going to be happy to be back in a bowl, the team decided they were going to be happy to kick the crap out of Nevada while they were there...

Wasn't Nevada a heavy favorite in this game?

38-3 at the start of the 4th.

georgiaguy31015
12-24-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm shocked that SMU even won the game much less beat Nevada like they did. I never would have guessed that.

Optik
12-24-2009, 11:28 PM
45-10 SMU. Incredible and incredibly unexpected performance. I thought Nevada would score all over the Mustangs. Great showing, expected a score like 45-10, just with Nevada on the winning side.

Congrats, DinD. :cheers:

Djshockley3
12-25-2009, 12:00 AM
I got owned on that game.

georgiaguy31015
12-25-2009, 12:41 AM
I got owned on that game.

The good thing about that game is that a lot more people got owned in that game than the ones that didn't so that loss shouldn't hurt you in my opinion.

Qwality
12-25-2009, 01:56 AM
Just got back from the game and a light tailgate. Hawaiian grillin and cold beer is always good.

SMU I salute you. I had no dog in the fight but figured I'd check out the game since there were a ton of free tickets. Place was about 30% capacity and SMU pony'd up bigtime. Glad I got to hit a bowl this year (Nevada looked like a DIV II school all day).

What a program turnaround by J. Jones!

F250MustangGuy
12-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Good coach plus Texas 2-3 star recruits can win big time games.

My guess is that some bigger school will eventually offer to him

Just Some Hog Dude
12-25-2009, 05:30 PM

He's making big bucks at SMU already.

Herchel
12-25-2009, 05:49 PM

He's too old. Did you watch the Sugar Bowl?

F250MustangGuy
12-25-2009, 06:43 PM
He's too old. Did you watch the Sugar Bowl?

He probably still has 10 years to coach

Hawaii had vastly inferior athletes in every way. He couldn't get mainland athletes to come to Hawaii due to them being so far away from home. Hawaii didn't belong in a Sugar Bowl against an SEC team.

Just like your great military leaders couldn't win battles if their men were armed with rocks going up against assault rifles and machine guns.

HeyBulldog
12-25-2009, 07:40 PM
There's a reason why no one runs the run and shoot but June Jones. Jones is a fraud, so is his offense, so is his team. Same with Hawaii when he was there, same with the Falcons when he was there. How many examples does it take for people to learn? This offense will never succeed against real defenses at the top of the college football food chain. SMU may be good with some consistency under Jones, but they'll never be great.

Heck Pup
12-25-2009, 11:55 PM
We should have been watching Bama's big comeback in this bowl game 10 years from now instead of you guys tonight. Welcome back to the fray. I actually remember when you guys kicked arse. Go Mustangs!

OffThePorch
12-26-2009, 08:47 AM
lot of talented Texas teams....

Dawg in Dallas
12-26-2009, 10:32 AM
There's a reason why no one runs the run and shoot but June Jones. Jones is a fraud, so is his offense, so is his team. Same with Hawaii when he was there, same with the Falcons when he was there. How many examples does it take for people to learn? This offense will never succeed against real defenses at the top of the college football food chain. SMU may be good with some consistency under Jones, but they'll never be great.

June Jones may not be likable, but he is not a fraud. He enjoys taking the teams that have essentially nothing and building them up. You are correct that his offense may not be a great offense for a big time program, but for a school like SMU it is perfect. SMU has been pathetic since returning from the Death Penalty. So to be "great" isn't something SMU is aspiring to right now. They merely want to compete and field a decent team. With Jones they are doing that.

It was nice returning from church on Christmas Eve, flipping on the TV and see that it was 31-0 at the half. A great Christmas gift. Thanks to the remainder of the posters here who congratulated the Ponies.

HeyBulldog
12-26-2009, 01:39 PM
June Jones may not be likable, but he is not a fraud. He enjoys taking the teams that have essentially nothing and building them up. You are correct that his offense may not be a great offense for a big time program, but for a school like SMU it is perfect. SMU has been pathetic since returning from the Death Penalty. So to be "great" isn't something SMU is aspiring to right now. They merely want to compete and field a decent team. With Jones they are doing that.

It was nice returning from church on Christmas Eve, flipping on the TV and see that it was 31-0 at the half. A great Christmas gift. Thanks to the remainder of the posters here who congratulated the Ponies.I don't know how I hurt your feelings so badly. I was just giving an opinion that even you seem to agree on. And it isn't like it changed the outcome of the game. Congrats to your team. You've got a great QB for that system, and he's only a freshman.

Dr.SwineSmeller
12-26-2009, 03:26 PM
I realize June Jones has few fans here, but the job he has done at SMU is unparalleled. As a season ticket holder, I am truly pleased...

I didn't realize it had been so long since SMU had played in a bowl game. That has to be close to a Division 1 record? :think:

SS

Dawg in Dallas
12-26-2009, 05:04 PM
I don't know how I hurt your feelings so badly. I was just giving an opinion that even you seem to agree on. And it isn't like it changed the outcome of the game. Congrats to your team. You've got a great QB for that system, and he's only a freshman.

You didn't hurt my feelings - and I understand your opinion. For the aspirations SMU has RIGHT NOW, Jones is a great coach - it doesn't mean your analysis is wrong.

Happy New Year!

Heck Pup
12-26-2009, 05:07 PM
DiD - were you one of the 20 SMU "Circle of Champions" boosters who put back $100,000 per year for 5 years to hire June Jones away from Hawaii?

Dawg in Dallas
12-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Uh- no.

Heck Pup
12-26-2009, 05:09 PM
My bad... :(

Dawg in Dallas
12-26-2009, 05:10 PM
I wish I had that kinda cash to throw around. :(