Tubby Smith and Minnesota Thread: Season 3 [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Tubby Smith and Minnesota Thread: Season 3

kentubbybasketball
04-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Another 20 wins, another NCAAT for Tubby! As we look forward to next year, Tubby's third season, and bringing in a top 12 class I thought I'd get the third season thread started!

kentubbybasketball
06-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Tubby is getting sued by a guy that says Tubby promised him a spot on the Minnesota staff when Tubby moved there (I believe that spot that eventually went to Vince Taylor). The only thing is that Williams (the guy suing Tubby) used to coach at Minnesota and he may have been involved in some rules violations and Joel Maturi (our AD) wouldn't allow the hire to go thru. Doesn't seem like Tubby's fault.

kentubbybasketball
09-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Tubby gets his first commitment for 2010: Elliot Eliason. He's the best player in Nebraska and has some upside within that 6'11 frame!

kentubbybasketball
09-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Second commitment in a week: Austin Hollins. One of the country's best shooters, but can also finish above the rim. HIs dad is Lionel Hollins, former NBA player and current Grizzlies coach. Tubby is getting the job done!

kentubbybasketball
09-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Tubby seems to be happy with our commitments. Here's what Coach said on his twitter: "Recruitng is going great! ... "

kentubbybasketball
10-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Condolensces to Tubby and his family, as his father passed away today. Tubby loved his father so much, and it's hard to not respect someone who raised 14 kids. Tough news to hear for certain.

kentubbybasketball
11-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Great season opening exhibition for us: Gophers 114, Minn Duluth 47. That's great considering we were sitting out our two most notable newcomers and one of our three seniors.

AURex
11-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Tubby is a stand up coach and an Auburn man.

Oh, wait!

Actually, since I have connections to both Auburn and UK, and respected both of the Tubs (Tubbys? Toobers? uh whatever), I'm glad (and not surprised) to see his teams progressing at Minn.

That said, when the Gophers go into Urbana-Champaign to play Illinois (another of my alma maters, almae matres, crap, whatever), I'll have to pull for my Fighting Illini.

kentubbybasketball
11-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Illinois is gonna be good. I think 3-8 in the Big Ten is really close, and that's where you'll find both Minnesota and Illinois. We finally were able to get Illinois last year. Tubby's really rebuilding this program, quietly, but efficiently. Gotta love it!

kentubbybasketball
11-17-2009, 04:03 PM
We're 2-0 with huge wins over Tennessee Tech and Stephen Austin. Great wins for Tubby, especially since we're missing Bostick, White, and Mbakwe.

The Tech win was Tubby's 600th as a coach. He's won 431 of those games... go Coach!

Rodney Williams is putting on a show. One of the very best athletes in the entire country right there down with the Gophers!

kentubbybasketball
11-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Beating Butler is a big time win. That's the first time I can remember voting against a Tubby Smith coached team to win. I don't know why.

Butler is better than they showed last night, and Matt Howard's foul trouble spelled doom. We were able to hit some outside shots (enough to win), which is usually the case with Tubby. Blake Hoffarber, Lawrence Westbrook, and Devoe Joseph have really stepped up their games.

And, think we won this game with 3 big time players (one a former National JUCO POY in Devron Bostick, a JUCO All American that averaged 16 and 12 last year in Trevor Mbakwe, and Royce White, our highest rated frosh since Kris Humphries). Tubby is one amazing coach.

Portland looks be tough after they put it down on UCLA after the Minnesota win.

kentubbybasketball
11-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Tough loss for us against Portland last night. Our defense was solid (Portland didn't shoot the three nearly as well as they had been). It was our offense that really hurt us. A lot of our offense (or at least our best offense) is based on creating turnovers and getting out and running. Portland didn't have nearly as many live balls TOs as ther teams have had against us.

kentubbybasketball
12-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Gophers with their Big 10 Opener tonight vs Penn State. 7 point lead at the half.