Looking ahead to the SECT [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead to the SECT

Tennessee
03-06-2009, 07:07 AM
As it stands now (I havent looked at all the tiebreaker scenarios in the W, so 3-5 may can change, but not sure):

W5 (Bama) v. E4 (KY/FL Loser)
Winner plays LSU

E6 (UGA) v. W3 (MSU)
Winner plays S. Carolina

E5 (Vandy) v. W4 (Ole Miss)
Winner plays Tennessee

W6 (Arkansas) v. E3 (KY/FL Winner)
Winner plays Auburn

Just looking at that, the KY/FL winner has a good chance to make a run...I think AU is the weaker of the #2 seeds, and UT is the weaker of the #1 seeds (if we got past a hot Vandy team or an Ole Miss team that kicked our butts 2-weeks ago), and Arky has just been bad, so the winner of that game is set up to play themselves into the tourney if the H2H matchup doesn't get them in

I don't remember a tourney this wide open in a long time

iam4lsu08
03-06-2009, 08:14 AM
in the West, if Ole Miss beats Mississippi State tomorrow, then they would get the W3 seed. MSU would get the W4 seed and Bama would get the W5 seed.

If MSU beats Ole Miss tomorrow, they would get the W3 seed. Ole Miss would get the W4 seed in that scenario if Bama loses to Tennessee this weekend. However, with a Bama win over Tennessee and an Ole Miss loss to Mississippi State, Bama would get the W4 seed and Ole Miss would get the W5 seed.

the winner of Florida/Kentucky tomorrow gets the E3 seed and the loser gets the E4 seed.

Tennessee
03-06-2009, 08:22 AM
in the West, if Ole Miss beats Mississippi State tomorrow, then they would get the W3 seed. MSU would get the W4 seed and Bama would get the W5 seed.

If MSU beats Ole Miss tomorrow, they would get the W3 seed. Ole Miss would get the W4 seed in that scenario if Bama loses to Tennessee this weekend. However, with a Bama win over Tennessee and an Ole Miss loss to Mississippi State, Bama would get the W4 seed and Ole Miss would get the W5 seed.

the winner of Florida/Kentucky tomorrow gets the E3 seed and the loser gets the E4 seed.

So, IF the favorites win this weekend (and after Wednesday night in college basketball, I'm sure not putting any money on that LOL), then it's MSU-3, OM-4, and Bama-5?

And, I think KY/FL is the only seeding left in the East, with the winner getting the 3 and loser getting the 4?

I wonder if there's a situation where the winner of KY/FL loses in the 1st round of the SECT, but the loser beats Bama and LSU, would the loser get the nod over the winner bc of the LSU win?

Coal_UGA
03-06-2009, 08:29 AM
It is almost time for Georgia to defend its title!!!! For some reason I don't see another mircale happening but who knows.

Vandy420
03-06-2009, 08:29 AM
If Vandy can beat Arkansas, the get to sunday in the SECT, we have shot at making the dance. We have been playing great lately beating SC and LSU, we would have to beat MS/MSU, UT, then AU/UF winner to make it to Sunday. If we do that we would have beated both division champions, and all the SEC tourney teams in the past 2 weeks. Seems that might bump our RPI enough to get us in. We would have won 11 of the past 13 as well, that should put us in position to get in. We would be 23-11. I know thats alot of ifs, and big games we would have to win, but to even be a possibility is good.

Tennessee
03-06-2009, 08:35 AM
If Vandy can beat Arkansas, the get to sunday in the SECT, we have shot at making the dance. We have been playing great lately beating SC and LSU, we would have to beat MS/MSU, UT, then AU/UF winner to make it to Sunday. If we do that we would have beated both division champions, and all the SEC tourney teams in the past 2 weeks. Seems that might bump our RPI enough to get us in. We would have won 11 of the past 13 as well, that should put us in position to get in. We would be 23-11. I know thats alot of ifs, and big games we would have to win, but to even be a possibility is good.

It's a wide-open tourney this year...Honestly, other than Arkansas, there's not a team on the board that can't win it (no offense, Arky fans, I just don't see it)...LSU has been awesome all year...UGA and Bama, who have stunk it up all year, and Vandy, who has been mediocre, have been playing much better as of late...UT is playing it's best ball of the year...KY/UF/AU all fighting hard to get into the tourney...SC has Downey, which can carry them...The Mississippi schools would need to play better than they have, but they both have the potential to step it up for a run

Dawg
03-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Setting up to be a very exciting tournament. The weaker teams have proven recently their ability to beat any team (VU over LSU, UGA over Kentucky and Florida, etc). Should be a great tournament to watch.

SECgamecock453
03-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Eh, don't really care anymore. Bring on baseball season.

MKAU
03-06-2009, 09:16 AM
I understand why one would say Auburn is the weaker of the #2 seeds. Based on preseason predictions one would be correct. But right now Auburn is the hottest team in the league and on a run that includes several road wins and a win against Tennessee. If they can beat LSU then there is no reason to think they won't be the hottest team going into the tournament. Neither UK or UF is playing at their peak right now and both had issues with Auburn when they were both playing better, and that was before Auburn got their act together.

The tides have changed dramatically from the start of conference play to present day. Here's my prediction for Auburn. I'm somewhat confident they'll beat LSU. I could be wrong, but the stars are aligned for it. If they do beat LSU, then the only team that can prevent Auburn from winning the tournament will be Tennessee.

Tennessee
03-06-2009, 09:40 AM
I understand why one would say Auburn is the weaker of the #2 seeds. Based on preseason predictions one would be correct. But right now Auburn is the hottest team in the league and on a run that includes several road wins and a win against Tennessee. If they can beat LSU then there is no reason to think they won't be the hottest team going into the tournament. Neither UK or UF is playing at their peak right now and both had issues with Auburn when they were both playing better, and that was before Auburn got their act together.

The tides have changed dramatically from the start of conference play to present day. Here's my prediction for Auburn. I'm somewhat confident they'll beat LSU. I could be wrong, but the stars are aligned for it. If they do beat LSU, then the only team that can prevent Auburn from winning the tournament will be Tennessee.

AU would have to play UT before playing LSU...If they met LSU, it would be in the finals

MKAU
03-06-2009, 09:41 AM
LSU and Auburn play tomorrow. That's the game I'm referring to.

Tennessee
03-06-2009, 10:05 AM
LSU and Auburn play tomorrow. That's the game I'm referring to.

Gotcha

SkyAntoine
03-06-2009, 10:22 AM
I have had two days to recover from the whole Georgia game thing. Time to shed reality and go back to the grandiose delusions of being a UK fan. I think we win this thing and make it 18 straight NCAAT appearances. :thumb:

SECgamecock453
03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
UK in the NCAAT would be a f*cking joke. If they do make it for whatever dumb reason, all that got you there is the name. And that IS a dumb reason.

**Edit: OK, and the rest of the SEC sucking ass, but normally UK wouldn't get in in there situation (or I would hope so).

XPS
03-06-2009, 11:59 AM
UK in the NCAAT would be a f*cking joke. If they do make it for whatever dumb reason, all that got you there is the name. And that IS a dumb reason.

**Edit: OK, and the rest of the SEC sucking ass, but normally UK wouldn't get in in there situation (or I would hope so).

Are you in a baiting mood? If you don't care and ready for baseball season, why waste your time on the basketball board? By the way, I think Baseball is the most boring sport besides golf...

SECgamecock453
03-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Are you in a baiting mood? If you don't care and ready for baseball season, why waste your time on the basketball board? By the way, I think Baseball is the most boring sport besides golf...

That is my honest opinion about UK. How does 19-11 or whatever they are get them into the NCAAT? Besides the fact that the SEC beat it self up this year, that would be the only reason they get into the tourny and the fact that they have the name Kentucky (which I just think is bs). Kentucky could be 16-13 and still be getting talks about getting into the tournament.

While we're on the bubble at 20-8, UK seems to be a LOCK somehow and are 19-10 I think. Not only did we sweep UK, but have 2 home losses for the entire season. I'm just waiting for us to get robbed and UK to get into the tourny.

orange&white
03-06-2009, 12:10 PM
That is my honest opinion about UK. How does 19-11 or whatever they are get them into the NCAAT? Besides the fact that the SEC beat it self up this year, that would be the only reason they get into the tourny and the fact that they have the name Kentucky (which I just think is bs). Kentucky could be 16-13 and still be getting talks about getting into the tournament.

While we're on the bubble at 20-8, UK seems to be a LOCK somehow and are 19-10 I think. Not only did we sweep UK, but have 2 home losses for the entire season. I'm just waiting for us to get robbed and UK to get into the tourny.

If you think UK is a lock you obviously haven't been paying attention to the sport enough.

XPS
03-06-2009, 12:13 PM
If you think UK is a lock you obviously haven't been paying attention to the sport enough.

LOL, yeah UK doesn't deserve to be in at this point and anything but a lock. UK would have to beat Fla and win 2 games in the SEC T in my opinion...

XPS
03-06-2009, 12:14 PM

USC is in the ncaa tournament in my opinion...

orange&white
03-06-2009, 12:15 PM
LOL, yeah UK doesn't deserve to be in at this point and anything but a lock. UK would have to beat Fla and win 2 games in the SEC T in my opinion...

I'm hoping 5 teams can get in. The UK and UF games is one of the biggest bubble games I can remember in the SEC.

SkyAntoine
03-06-2009, 12:17 PM

I take offense to you suggesting that UK would make the NCAAT only by name recognition in light of our terrible season!!!

We could also make it for the following reasons:
- UK always goes
- UK fans = NCAA $$$$
- We have won 7 NC's, tradition, Rupp, :blah::blah:
- The NCAA needs big ratings. TV has become reality TV happy. What is more unexpected and real than the "Billy Gillispie Drama-of-the-Day Show"?
- Jodie Meeks and Patterson deserve to be in the NCAAT
- Pfft...how dare you suggest we shouldn't be there...:raz:

Tennessee
03-06-2009, 01:54 PM

Don't worry, he's been doing in the UT forum as well...He claimed last night's game was not a big game even though the East division title, #1 seed in the SECT, and an assured punched ticket to the NCAAT were on the line

Wasn't a big game, though...

SECgamecock453
03-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Don't worry, he's been doing in the UT forum as well...He claimed last night's game was not a big game even though the East division title, #1 seed in the SECT, and an assured punched ticket to the NCAAT were on the line

Wasn't a big game, though...

I meant it wasn't a big game in terms of match-up. I knew we were going to struggle, it wasn't even a close game. Yeah it was a BIG GAME because of what was on the line, but it's not like it was ever going to be competitive, therefore it wasn't that big of a game. Tennessee was a lock to win it anyway.

Optik
03-07-2009, 07:05 PM
It is almost time for Georgia to defend its title!!!! For some reason I don't see another mircale happening but who knows.

All we need is another Magic Tornado...

msubulldog0610
03-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Updated: Bama v UT 2morrow to determine if Bama is 4th or 5th in the West and Vandy v Ark will determine, I think, if Vandy is 4th or 5th in the East

W5 (Bama/Ole Miss) v. E4 (KY/Vandy)
Winner plays LSU

E6 (UGA) v. W3 (MSU)
Winner plays S. Carolina

E5 (Vandy/UK) v. W4 (Ole Miss/Bama)
Winner plays Tennessee

W6 (Arkansas) v. E3 (FL)
Winner plays Auburn

The reason I'm not sure if Vandy is 4th or 5th after 2morrow is that they'll be tied with UK if they win and they split the series with them..

Djshockley3
03-07-2009, 08:24 PM
What times does UGA play on Thursday, like 3?

GatorMan32
03-07-2009, 09:48 PM
who knows, if we won 2 or 3 games in Tampa, Florida might actually still make the Dance and the seeding is favorable if they can get the job done. but unless they get those wins, the match ups are wasted. would not want to see them face LSU in round two.

Tennessee
03-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Updated: Bama v UT 2morrow to determine if Bama is 4th or 5th in the West and Vandy v Ark will determine, I think, if Vandy is 4th or 5th in the East

W5 (Bama/Ole Miss) v. E4 (KY/Vandy)
Winner plays LSU

E6 (UGA) v. W3 (MSU)
Winner plays S. Carolina

E5 (Vandy/UK) v. W4 (Ole Miss/Bama)
Winner plays Tennessee

W6 (Arkansas) v. E3 (FL)
Winner plays Auburn

The reason I'm not sure if Vandy is 4th or 5th after 2morrow is that they'll be tied with UK if they win and they split the series with them..

I think that KY has the 4th seed bc Vandy is something like 3-7 in the East, but I may be wrong...IIRC, the East is set

Tennessee
03-08-2009, 12:42 PM
What times does UGA play on Thursday, like 3?

The TV guide shows it as 3:30...First game starts at one, and I think there's 30 minutes in between games

Herchel
03-08-2009, 12:44 PM
UGA is a lock. Bet the farm on it. :cheers:

ConwayGamecock
03-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Thursday

(W5) Ole Miss vs. (E4) Kentucky, 1 p.m. (Winner advances to play (W1) LSU)
(E6) Georgia vs. (W3) Mississippi State, 3:15 p.m. (Winner advances to play (E2) USC)
(E5) Vanderbilt vs. (W4) Alabama, 7:30 p.m. (Winner advances to play (E1) Tennessee)
(W6) Arkansas vs. (E3) Florida, 9:45 p.m. (Winner advances to play (W2) Auburn)

http://secsports.com/doc_lib/bkc_2009_bracket.pdf

ArkansasTraveler
03-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Great we get matched up with the home state team late at night.

ArkansasTraveler
03-08-2009, 04:12 PM
The SECT is still my favorite sporting event of the year. Good luck to all teams!