GR8NESS
03-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Pitino was right..."[ridding UK of Tubby] will set that program back 10 years"

I've had it.

XPS
03-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Pitino was right..."[ridding UK of Tubby] will set that program back 10 years"

I've had it.

Pitino don't have a damn thing to do with it, UK hired the wrong guy, its that simple...

ukfan339
03-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Right with you, I hope Billy is gone, I thought at the begining of SEC play UK was a 3rd seed but now its more like 11th seed in the NIT's WTF? I know it seems like UK fans got hard on coaches but to actully have the team go down from last year just freaking burns my insides.

GR8NESS
03-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Bring. Back. Pitino.

ukfan339
03-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Slow down buddy, don't get to angry. I do want Tubby back though...

jh4uk
03-04-2009, 09:26 PM
i'm shocked that there were not more BOO'S after the game, but then again i wasn't there... (thank god)

XPS
03-04-2009, 09:27 PM
i'm shocked that there were not more BOO'S after the game, but then again i wasn't there... (thank god)

Its being said that fans hit G with water bottles as he headed toward the tunnel...

ukfan339
03-04-2009, 09:28 PM
and deservingly so......

jk.

GDawg88
03-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm honestly shocked at how poorly Billy has fared at Kentucky. I was absolutely sold on him coming from A&M. The only explanation I can think of is that his alcoholism has taken him down.

XPS
03-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm honestly shocked at how poorly Billy has fared at Kentucky. I was absolutely sold on him coming from A&M. The only explanation I can think of is that his alcoholism has taken him down.

Me 2, but UK isn't for everyone...

GR8NESS
03-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Its being said that fans hit G with water bottles as he headed toward the tunnel...

Good. Run him out of town!

JK.

Sort of.

jh4uk

wow! seeing how pissed i am right now i can only imagine if i was there. under no circumstances would i ever throw anything...but i understand!

SkyAntoine
Neg rep to anyone that supports our Coach in this thread.

ukfan339
03-04-2009, 09:33 PM
It seemed like he loved the game, it seemed like UK was his dream job. That is why we thought he would do well in UK, but right now he needs to talk Meeks and Patterson to staying for one last season then recruit like crazy! But Billy this should be a warning, not every UK fans want you here and we now think your scum, so next year I hope you shove it in our faces and show us you can win. God I hope Coaches and Players read theses forums...

ConwayGamecock
03-04-2009, 09:34 PM
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r13/ttmman21/bigupdate/TubbySmith.jpg?t=1236223796

XPS
03-04-2009, 09:34 PM
It seemed like he loved the game, it seemed like UK was his dream job. That is why we thought he would do well in UK, but right now he needs to talk Meeks and Patterson to staying for one last season then recruit like crazy!

If I'm Meeks or Patterson, I would get the hell out of dodge. I don't think Meeks is ready, but Pat is...

XPS
03-04-2009, 09:36 PM
ConwayGamecock[/LEFT];971371]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r13/ttmman21/bigupdate/TubbySmith.jpg?t=1236223796

Funny Picture, It was time for Tubby to leave regardless...

GR8NESS
03-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Funny Picture, It was time for Tubby to leave regardless...

Yup. UK just hired the wrong man.

ukfan339
03-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Hell, if just one of them stays and we get a good recruiting class I'm good...

RailroadGin
03-04-2009, 09:38 PM
I live in Oxford and work close with Ole Miss. If UK offers Kennedy- he's gone. I want him to stay at Ole Miss, but I'd take the job if I were him. That's a top 5 job in the country- regardless of what happened this season or any other for that matter.

XPS
03-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Yup. UK just hired the wrong man.

They better get it right this time....:zipit:

fodive
03-04-2009, 09:40 PM
:rotf:

And I got chastised from Day 1 for saying Gillespie was a bad hire....

XPS
03-04-2009, 09:43 PM

:kiss:

GR8NESS
03-04-2009, 09:43 PM

It appeared to be a good hire. aTm is a basketball deathtrap, and he took them to prominence.

ConwayGamecock
03-04-2009, 09:44 PM
This is all the emotions of a close loss welling up right now, is all this is.....

Once UK wins the NIT, the UK fans will be loving up Billy Clyde again. You'll see.....

GR8NESS
Gamecock fans sure do know something about winning the NIT, that's for sure.

jh4uk
either the players have stoped playing for him or billy g does not realize the name on the front of the jersey...KENTUCKY!!! pathetic!

ConwayGamecock
03-04-2009, 09:45 PM

And we loved Uncle Dave......

...the first time........

XPS
03-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Hell, if just one of them stays and we get a good recruiting class I'm good...

I love Meeks, but holy **** he forces almost 85% of his shots. He is NOT MJ and somebody needs to tell him, Meeks should get some open looks playing with Pat, but that has a lot to do with coaching...

XPS
03-04-2009, 09:47 PM
This is all the emotions of a close loss welling up right now, is all this is.....

Once UK wins the NIT, the UK fans will be loving up Billy Clyde again. You'll see.....

UK better say thanks but no thanks to the NIT...

ConwayGamecock
03-04-2009, 09:47 PM
I love Meeks, but holy **** he forces almost 85% of his shots. He is NOT MJ and somebody needs to tell him, Meeks should get some open looks playing with Pat, but that has a lot to do with coaching...

Blasphemer!!!!

jh4uk
03-04-2009, 09:51 PM

i know two replays to your quote, but larry glover just reported on the radio the fans did throw water bottles a billy g. WOW!

SkyAntoine
03-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Post game quotes from G...

"It was just a whippin'..."
"I take full responsibility for the loss."
"Their point guard controlled the game."
"I'm in way over my head..."

jh4uk
03-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Post game quotes from G...

"It was just a whippin'..."
"I take full responsibility for the loss."
"Their point guard controlled the game."
"I'm in way over my head..."

the statement says is all.

RailroadGin
03-04-2009, 09:54 PM
It doesn't matter if it's true; you CAN'T say that. Blood in the water...

SkyAntoine
03-04-2009, 09:57 PM
the statement says is all.
:rotf: I was kidding about the last quote...but I was reading his mind.

GR8NESS
03-04-2009, 09:58 PM
I don't care if you were kidding...it's sig quality.

fodive
03-04-2009, 09:59 PM
It appeared to be a good hire. aTm is a basketball deathtrap, and he took them to prominence.

Just like I said when he was hired, he got lucky with Acie Law. He (Law) is who took them to "prominence."

SkyAntoine
03-04-2009, 09:59 PM
G turns on Leach again. Tom asked him about his players preparation for the game and G gets mad said he wasn't going to go against his guys. It was all his fault.

fodive
03-04-2009, 10:00 PM

Wildcat fans know a lot about running their mouth about a University they haven't beat in a major sport in over a year, that's for sure.

SkyAntoine
03-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Wildcat fans know a lot about running their mouth about a University they haven't beat in a major sport in over a year, that's for sure.

Oh...so I take it cheerleading is not a "major sport"? Yeah right. Dream on, birthday boy.

Hogger
03-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Wanna trade coaches? J/k, maybe.

Billy G should've taken the Arkansas job like he originally planned. The fans don't expect quite as much and there are plenty of tools to win. He got greedy and took the UK job.

XPS
03-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Wanna trade coaches? J/k, maybe.

Billy G should've taken the Arkansas job like he originally planned. The fans don't expect quite as much and there are plenty of tools to win. He got greedy and took the UK job.

Its not 2 late...

And no i don't want to trade...

weegeman
03-04-2009, 10:24 PM
For the first time ever I'm so crapped out from watching that game that I'm not even going to read any threads or posts. I was just going to start a fire Billy thread and leave, but since there is already one here I'll just post my two cents and leave.

That was the worst loss in the history of Kentucky basketball in my lifetime, in my opinion. Georgia deserves a lot of credit, and congrats to the Georgia fans, but we just lost AT HOME, AGAIN, to a team that hadn't won a road game all year, who had only won two SEC games, with an RPI close to 180, on Senior Night, in a must-win game, to a team we beat on the road by 23, who had fired their coach because they were so terrible.

Fire Billy tonight. Don't wait until tomorrow morning.

(The sad part is we could still mathmatically get the 2 seed in the East...)

ok, I'm leaving now.

GDawg88
03-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Exactly, and you can only judge a hire based on WHEN it was made. Gillispie came to UK with sparkling credentials, having built up two downtrodden programs very quickly. I don't fault UK for making the hire and won't even if Billy never wins another game. All the information at the time said he was a good hire. He's simply been a disappointment.

It reminds me of Dennis Felton at Georgia. He was such a good coach at Western Kentucky, but something got lost in translation at Georgia. I still won't call it a bad hire, because everyone agreed at the time he was a promising young coach. I'll go to my grave never understanding why he lost that great coaching acumen at UGA.

Orangetd88
03-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Neg rep to anyone that supports our Coach in this thread.

Not me! Or Bruce Pearl. lol

ConwayGamecock
03-04-2009, 11:49 PM

Nope......y'all are out of any chance for the No. 2 seed. The only way it gets close is if USC goes 0-2. The Gamecocks will have to watch the Florida-Kentucky game on Saturday for the official word. If the Wildcats win, USC would win the tiebreaker and take the No. 2 seed. If the Gators win, it forces a tiebreaker, and USC still gets the No. 2 seed by virtue of its sweep of Kentucky.

Orangetd88
03-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Nope......y'all are out of any chance for the No. 2 seed. The only way it gets close is if USC goes 0-2. The Gamecocks will have to watch the Florida-Kentucky game on Saturday for the official word. If the Wildcats win, USC would win the tiebreaker and take the No. 2 seed. If the Gators win, it forces a tiebreaker, and USC still gets the No. 2 seed by virtue of its sweep of Kentucky.

They could get it if we go 0-2 by virtue of their sweep of us.

ConwayGamecock
03-05-2009, 12:02 AM
They could get it if we go 0-2 by virtue of their sweep of us.

hmmm....didn't think of that..... :think:

kentubbybasketball
03-05-2009, 07:17 AM
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r13/ttmman21/bigupdate/TubbySmith.jpg?t=1236223796

Tubby probably solidified his own NCAAT bid last night with that win over Wisconsin. Go Gophers!

kentubbybasketball
03-05-2009, 07:18 AM

He took them to prominence though with Acie Law, a guy the previous coach had recruited. He's ever shown that he can recruit/sustain any program, especially one at this level.

kentubbybasketball
03-05-2009, 07:23 AM
For the first time ever I'm so crapped out from watching that game that I'm not even going to read any threads or posts. I was just going to start a fire Billy thread and leave, but since there is already one here I'll just post my two cents and leave.

That was the worst loss in the history of Kentucky basketball in my lifetime, in my opinion. Georgia deserves a lot of credit, and congrats to the Georgia fans, but we just lost AT HOME, AGAIN, to a team that hadn't won a road game all year, who had only won two SEC games, with an RPI close to 180, on Senior Night, in a must-win game, to a team we beat on the road by 23, who had fired their coach because they were so terrible.

Fire Billy tonight. Don't wait until tomorrow morning.

ok, I'm leaving now.

I'm with you. This team has had opportunities to win games that would put them first in the East, first in the SEC, and this one would keep our NCAAT hopes alive... but we've come out flat in all those games. That makes this the worst loss.

We went from being mad about losing in the second round of the NCAAT with 22 wins to maybe not making the NCAAT in 2 years.

SkyAntoine
03-05-2009, 07:57 AM
I would put the approval rating of Billy Clyde in the Commonwealth at 20%. The BBN is in complete meltdown mode.

Vandy420
03-05-2009, 08:27 AM

Same here, I have said since day 1 he is not that good of coach. AC Law made him successful at A&M. THe Big 12 is alot different than the SEC. He is in over his head. He is not good enough to be the coach at UK. They demand excellance and he can only give mediocre.

GatorMan32
03-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Brumm, hope you don't mind. I edited the thread title to specify which Billy. When I clicked on it from the main page, had no idea what I was in store for LOL

Herchel
03-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Brumm, hope you don't mind. I edited the thread title to specify which Billy. When I clicked on it from the main page, had no idea what I was in store for LOL

Well, since the lowly Dawgs have defeated both Billy's, it could apply to either. :cheers:

statesboroblues
03-05-2009, 09:50 AM
I live in Oxford and work close with Ole Miss. If UK offers Kennedy- he's gone. I want him to stay at Ole Miss, but I'd take the job if I were him. That's a top 5 job in the country- regardless of what happened this season or any other for that matter.

and the Japs bomb Pearl Harbor...more on the way.

"Eat a Peach"

swampmonster
03-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Well, since the lowly Dawgs have defeated both Billy's, it could apply to either.

Not gonna happen, we love our Billy. ;)

Gatorbabe
03-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Not gonna happen, we love our Billy. ;)

Oh leave the poor guy alone ... what else does he have to cheer about? ;)

swampmonster
03-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Oh leave the poor guy alone ... what else does he have to cheer about?

It is pretty dog-gone sad. :D

kentubbybasketball
03-05-2009, 11:30 AM
I would put the approval rating of Billy Clyde in the Commonwealth at 20%. The BBN is in complete meltdown mode.

So, you think 1 in every 5 people still approve of the job he's doing/done?

SECgamecock453
03-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Kentucky blows!

VandyChuck
03-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Kentucky blows!

That's not nice.

SkyAntoine
03-05-2009, 01:38 PM
So, you think 1 in every 5 people still approve of the job he's doing/done?

I felt like the BBN was split 50/50 on Gillispie before last night. I considered myself 51/49 in favor. But, IMO the UGA loss tipped the scales for most.

You can still find quite a bit of support out there on other boards. Granted, many of these are the left-over hardcore Tubby haters that are too stubborn to admit Tubby would have us in better shape right now (whether or not that was best in the long-term for UK or Tubby).

Matt Jones has a poll up and last I checked it was still 50/50, so who knows.

Dollar Theater
03-05-2009, 02:14 PM
So are the folks in Kentucky still blaming Billy G's lack of success on Tubby's recruiting? Not the posters on here, but I mean the UK fanbase in general.

kentubbybasketball
03-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Our realistic fans aren't. UGA has less talent than this UK team does (no offense UGA).

XPS
03-05-2009, 03:04 PM
So are the folks in Kentucky still blaming Billy G's lack of success on Tubby's recruiting? Not the posters on here, but I mean the UK fanbase in general.

I used to be one of them, but not anymore...

LSUTigers1404
03-05-2009, 04:14 PM
So do you Kentucky fans think he will be fired at the end of the year? Or will he get one more year?

boxvic
03-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Oh he won't be fired, hell he could probably do worse next year and still get another year. I'm predicting he'll be here 4-5 years. Only getting fired when the program has fallen to such depths that is impossible to have any doubt that it is his fault.

Now, I think he should be fired though.

kentubbybasketball
03-05-2009, 04:21 PM
No, I don't think he'll be fired at the end of the year, and I don't think that would be fair to tell you the truth. We should be better at this point in Year Two IMO, but usually you give a new coach at least 4 years (some cases three) to show whether or not they are keepable.

And, box, brings up a good point. Some people still blame Tubby for this, but in 4-5 years it'll all be on Gillispie completely, so then there will be no doubt that UK and G should move on.

BTW, does Trent Johnson like UK blue?

Thunder Gulch
03-05-2009, 04:34 PM
It's that darn Jeanine Edwards messing with the boy's mind. Between that, Tubby's recruiting, and the benches/refs at Memorial, good time Gillespie never had a shot this year.

kentubbybasketball
03-05-2009, 04:38 PM
"Tubby's recruiting." Maybe Tubby shouldn't have left him Jodie Meeks, so he could play both Kevin Galloway and DeAndre Liggins (G's recruits)... maybe then we could win a 20th game.

XPS
03-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Oh he won't be fired, hell he could probably do worse next year and still get another year. I'm predicting he'll be here 4-5 years. Only getting fired when the program has fallen to such depths that is impossible to have any doubt that it is his fault.

Now, I think he should be fired though.

2 nit's in a row will send him packing next year, lets remember that he has yet to sign the contract..

steelyvan
03-05-2009, 06:00 PM
he signed it when he got home last night and turned it in today.

XPS
03-05-2009, 06:36 PM
he signed it when he got home last night and turned it in today.

:rotf::zipit:

GR8NESS
03-05-2009, 08:47 PM

Call me when you can tell me that you have beaten us 10 times. (http://bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/SouthCarolina.html)

GR8NESS
03-05-2009, 08:51 PM
http://www.kentucky.com/978/story/715979.html

It has long been said that the University of Kentucky is the Roman Empire of men's college basketball.

Suffice to say, Rome is presently burning.

Billy Gillispie has not even concluded two full seasons as Kentucky's coach, and already he has presided over five of the worst losses in UK basketball history.

From last year, there were Gardner-Webb, San Diego and the 41-point Music City Massacre at Vanderbilt.

This season, you can add VMI and what, for my money, was the worst loss of all, Wednesday's dispiriting 90-85 home-court defeat to Georgia.

That's 12-18 Georgia. Same Georgia that came into Rupp Arena 0-7 in Southeastern Conference road games. Same Georgia that lost by 21 earlier this season to Loyola of Chicago.

Yet in a game that UK and its shaky NCAA Tournament hopes absolutely had to have, that Georgia beat the Cats in Rupp.

Now, a fan base that spent years harping about "Ten-Loss Tubby" finds itself in full uproar about "Bad-Loss Billy."

"Gillispie MUST GO!" one UK fan wrote in an e-mail Thursday.

Another suggested the Kentucky coach be given "$10 and a suitcase and shown the way out of town."

One Kentucky backer was trying to organize a boycott of a potential Wildcats home game in the NIT. "The UK fan base needs to send a message to Mitch Barnhart, Dr. Lee Todd and Billy Gillispie," he wrote.

Similar fury raged all over Wildcats basketball-oriented Internet message boards, comment sections on newspaper Web sites and radio sports talk shows on Thursday.

Which makes this a good time for the Kentucky fandom to take a deep collective breath and calm down.

Now, there are warning signs raising legitimate questions about whether Gillispie is a good "fit" long-term for Kentucky basketball.

The coach lacks the public relations polish of many others who hold the elite jobs in his profession.

His irregular substitution patterns and penchant for mind games with players seem especially ill-suited for a UK job where the coach's every move is dissected voraciously on a statewide scale.

Even the fact that Gillispie isn't married has seemed a liability in the hothouse of scrutiny that is coaching at Kentucky. Being single leaves him vulnerable to rumor-mongering about his personal life, and those rumors seem to fire up whenever his team starts losing.

With a record of 37-24, Gillispie's UK teams have done an un-Kentucky-like amount of losing so far.

Still, the quickest way to make sure a great basketball program stays in long-term decline is to get into a cycle of constantly changing coaches.

After the great John Wooden retired at UCLA, that school switched head men five times in the next 14 years. Three of those coaches each made it only two years.

Even now, 34 years since Wooden won the last of his 10 NCAA titles, UCLA has never had a coach last a full decade as its head man.

It is only in the past three years under Ben Howland that UCLA has fully returned as a consistent national power.

There is a lesson in that.

However unhappy the Kentucky fan base is with Billy Gillispie in this moment, it would be counterproductive to fire a coach after only two years.

So even with Rome up in flames, this would be a very good time for the citizens of the Empire to take a chill pill — and tamp down the fire.

SkyAntoine
03-05-2009, 08:58 PM
http://www.kentucky.com/978/story/715979.html

Read that this afternoon. One of 50,000 articles out there today on how G's screwed the pooch.

jh4uk
03-05-2009, 09:04 PM
So do you Kentucky fans think he will be fired at the end of the year? Or will he get one more year?

at this rate i think he has one more year. we do have a pretty darn good class coming in next season. but realistically it all depends on if patterson and meeks stay.

boxvic
03-05-2009, 09:42 PM
I cannot believe all these idiots trying to say it would be bad to fire him.

That is like saying you have a drunk bus driver, but if you fire him for being drunk then then only people willing to take the job will be drug addicts. You fire someone when they don't measure up. So you should stick with the guy who sucks at the job for fear of the job sucking? Well I tell ya what, I got something that could use sucking, and its technically a job.

UCLA went through all those coaches because they hired ****ty ones. If they had stuck with the first one they would still have sucked until they got rid of him and hired Howland.

socalwildcat
03-05-2009, 09:50 PM
I cannot believe all these idiots trying to say it would be bad to fire him.

That is like saying you have a drunk bus driver, but if you fire him for being drunk then then only people willing to take the job will be drug addicts. You fire someone when they don't measure up. So you should stick with the guy who sucks at the job for fear of the job sucking? Well I tell ya what, I got something that could use sucking, and its technically a job.

UCLA went through all those coaches because they hired ****ty ones. If they had stuck with the first one they would still have sucked until they got rid of him and hired Howland.

Gene Bartow and Gary Cunningham took UCLA to final fours. Jim Herrick won a national championship...the only coach since Wooden to do so.

boxvic
03-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Then hell I don't even see what the problem is. If we fire Gillispie today, and go through three coaches in the next 10 years and two of them take us to the Final Four then I don't see the problem with firing him.

XPS
03-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Then hell I don't even see what the problem is. If we fire Gillispie today, and go through three coaches in the next 10 years and two of them take us to the Final Four then I don't see the problem with firing him.

Shouldn't be any problem, the man hasn't signed the contract and deserves nothing if told to leave. Why prolong something thats going to happen and set the program back even farther...

LSUTigers1404
03-05-2009, 11:54 PM
No, I don't think he'll be fired at the end of the year, and I don't think that would be fair to tell you the truth. We should be better at this point in Year Two IMO, but usually you give a new coach at least 4 years (some cases three) to show whether or not they are keepable.

And, box, brings up a good point. Some people still blame Tubby for this, but in 4-5 years it'll all be on Gillispie completely, so then there will be no doubt that UK and G should move on.

BTW, does Trent Johnson like UK blue?

I heard from a very good source (me) that blue is actually his least favorite color. :)

ArkansasTraveler
03-06-2009, 12:50 AM
It's refreshing to see that Arkansas' fanbase isn't the only one with microwave mentality.

SkyAntoine
03-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Guess this guy's been watching the same team I have... (http://billyreedsays.com/2009/03/06/obviously-gillispie-is-over-his-head-at-uk/)

Obviously, Gillispie is Over His Head at UK
March 6th, 2009 by Billy Reed · No Comments

I tried to give Billy Clyde Gillispie the benefit of the doubt. I really did. A few weeks ago, after the Kentucky Wildcats had started 5-0 in the Southeastern Conference, I even suggested that both Gillispie and his predecessor, Tubby Smith, deserved to be in the Coach-of-the-Year discussion at that point of the season.

Now I believe Gillispie is doing the worst coaching job I’ve seen in almost 60 years of following UK hoops. The worst. No team coached by Adolph Rupp, Joe B. Hall, Eddie Sutton, Rick Pitino or Smith ever came close to be as dysfunctional as the current bunch.

The unraveling of the Cats has been breathtaking to behold, and please don’t start talking about talent or inexperience. The Cats have two All-Americans in their starting lineup. Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks could start for anybody in the nation. Their supporting cast isn’t chopped liver. A lot of coaches would love to have Darius Miller, Perry Stevenson, D’Andre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrelson, Michael Porter, and Ramon Harris.

But instead of melding them into a cohesive unit, as the good coaches always do, Gillispie has turned them into a pysche ward. Playing time is distributed by whim, not merit. Substitutions are erratic, not logical. Confidence is destroyed, not developed. A guy makes one mistake and he might not be seen again for days.

By now, it must be painfully clear to even the most knuckleheaded Big Blue loyalists that whatever worked for Gillispie at Texas-El Paso and Texas A&M, it ain’t working on the much-bigger stage in Lexington. Through his stubbornness, Gillispie puts his team at a competitive disadvantage. Anybody know why UK never plays zone or presses? I thought so. Neither do I.

One of the guttiest Wildcats ever, Mike Casey, did what nobody in the media has the guts to do – state the obvious. In an interview with a Big Blue blogger, Casey said what virtually all UK lettermen must be thinking.

Here’s the transcript:

ASOB — Coach Gillipsie has now coached 60 games at UK. What type of job do you think he’s doing so far?

Casey — “First of all, I think he’s in over his head. I think he has no clue as to what’s going on in the game. I just don’t think he knows what it means to coach at UK. I hate to say it, but a change has to be made, and soon, or we’re going to lose what UK is all about. Ask (Richie) Farmer, or (John) Pelphrey, or (Deron) Feldhaus what it means to play at Kentucky. Ask them what that ‘Kentucky’ across their chests means. Somehow we’ve let that go. If we lost we came out fightin’ mad; we weren’t going to lose two in a row. It’s beyond me why (Mitch) Barnhart and (Lee) Todd put up with it.”

ASOB — With the way the season is turning out, can you tell us what type of pressure the players are under?

Casey — “They’re under tremendous pressure because of the prestige … getting embarrassed on national TV. This (the South Carolina game) isn’t the first time.”

Barnhart and his counterpart at Louisville, Tom Jurich, both have the same problem. They’re each stuck with what appears to be a disastrous coaching hire. In Jurich’s case, it’s football coach Steve Kragthorpe, who inherited the remnants of an Orange Bowl championship from Bobby Petrino. In his two seasons, the Cards have dipped to 6-6 and 5-7. Even worse, Kragthorpe seems to be on a collision course with Ron Cooper instead of Howard Schnellenberger. The only variable is time.

Read the Rest After the Jump…

But at least Kragthorpe seems to be a decent sort of guy, which is something that can’t be said of Gillispie. The guy still hasn’t signed his contract. What’s up with that? He twice has gone out of his way to be rude to a female sideline reporter on ESPN.

Whatever else they may be, Kentucky’s coaches always have been gentlemen. After the South Carolina debacle, Gillispie was even rude to play-by-play man Tom Leach, one of the most competent and nicest guys in college athletics.
If the Wildcats end up on the bubble for an NCAA bid, don’t expect the tournament selection committee to cut them any slack. The NCAA already is peeved with Gillispie for bending the rules or finding loopholes in them. Remember the controversy about Gillispie’s penchant for recruiting adolescents? Or about him holding “Midnight Madness” before almost every other school? Or about paying recruit Daniel Orton’s father and uncle for making speeches at his camps? You can bet the NCAA does.

Neither Barnhart nor Jurich is going to admit they’ve made a mistake until they have no other choice. But the thing is, time is on nobody’s side. To survive, Kragthorpe needs to show signficant improvement next season, and it doesn’t appear that he has the talent to do that. The Cards have lost the recruiting edge they gained when they brought in Louisville high school icons Brian Brohm and Michael Bush. Now Rich Brooks and UK virtually own the state, even in Louisville.

At UK, the basketball future depends much on whether Patterson, a sophomore, and Meeks, a junior, decide to come out for the NBA draft or stay in school another season. If they stay, maybe even Gillispie couldn’t screw up next season’s team. But if one or both leave, it will be rightly viewed as an indictment of Gillispie, besides putting the Cats into a precarious position in 2009-’10.

The football fans at both UK and U of L are conditioned to live with mediocrity in football, but not basketball. Definitely not basketball. So there’s more pressure on Barnhart than Jurich. At Kentucky, the only way an NIT bid is acceptable is if the program has been decimated by probation or mass player defections. Neither is the case with the current team, and the buck stops right on the head coach’s desk.

A few weeks ago, I asked the athletics director at a prominent NAIA school if he would trade his basketball coach for Gillispie. “No way,” he said. I agreed. I wouldn’t, either. It’s come to that in UK basketball.

kentubbybasketball
03-09-2009, 02:45 PM
UK fans are spoiled with coaching. Even with Tubby (who won in every single NCAAT he coached here). Now we might not even make it. Honestly, Gillispie has a tough job, because things were criticized under the previous coach and now they really are worse, which is extra pressure on Gillispie.

XPS
03-09-2009, 03:03 PM
UK fans are spoiled with coaching. Even with Tubby (who won in every single NCAAT he coached here). Now we might not even make it. Honestly, Gillispie has a tough job, because things were criticized under the previous coach and now they really are worse, which is extra pressure on Gillispie.

KT I don't like UK's chances to win the SEC, UK's chances are slim to none...

rolling baby
03-09-2009, 06:51 PM
If UK and Billy G part ways, I wouldn't mind having him in Tusky. Bama has a solid tradition with drunk coaches.

ukfan339
03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
You know how crazy it would be if UK played Minnesota in the NIT? It would be on hell of a game!

bleedorange1983
03-09-2009, 08:04 PM
KT I don't like UK's chances to win the SEC, UK's chances are slim to none...

They are better than UGA's chances were last year.

Hogger
03-09-2009, 08:15 PM
You know how crazy it would be if UK played Minnesota in the NIT? It would be on hell of a game!

Interesting. The NIT matches up teams to get TV ratings. I'd certainly watch.

jh4uk
03-09-2009, 08:38 PM
sorry if it has already been mentioned but if and when we go to the nit and we get a home game... it will be played at memorial coliseum. for those who don't know memorial was where the cats played before rupp was built. now as pissed as i am about the cats being in the nit, i think it will awsome to see the cats play in the building where all the tradition started.

ukfan339
03-09-2009, 08:41 PM
But WTF? Why aren't we playing at Rupp are the fans really just that mad? I thought our fanbase was the best and even in the NIT we will fill up a freaking NFL stadium to watch our beloved cats play...

GR8NESS
03-09-2009, 08:42 PM
because of the KHSAA Sweet 16

weegeman
03-09-2009, 09:02 PM
because of the KHSAA Sweet 16

They heard Grayson County would probably be in the Sweet 16 so they decided to move the UK game to Memorial...

ukfan339
03-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Why not just move that game to memorial?

kentubbybasketball
03-10-2009, 04:14 PM

Maybe get more ratings than most NCAAT games, but ultimately, Minnesota looks to be in the NCAAT.

GR8NESS
03-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Why not just move that game to memorial?

Pre-sold tickets. The Sweet 16 is a Wednesday-Saturday event. Tickets are already sold.

The Sweet 16 is a bigger deal than the embarrassment of an NIT game.