Why Tubby to Bama Is Likely? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Why Tubby to Bama Is Likely?

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Interesting read:

http://www.3sib.com/2009/02/28/profilin-tubby-smith/

UA37
03-04-2009, 01:38 PM
At this point, i have no idea which way our coaching search is leading. The "insiders" do still seem confident that we'll get a big name, but not much else is getting out. The announcers of the game last night seemed to be hearing that we're going after a big name too and i'm sure they talked to people who would know.

SkyAntoine
03-04-2009, 01:40 PM
If Tubby had already put in 5 years at Minn., then I would think there was a chance. I just can't imagine him jumping ship that soon at this point in his career.

That is unless he is looking for a final retirement spot in the South. He has a ton of good years left, but I think Tubby is ready to settle into a community he can call home.

UA37
03-04-2009, 01:58 PM
It would be a good move for Tubby especially with the new ESPN contract which is going to help put SEC basketball in the spotlight.

MissKitty
03-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I don't think he's going to Bama either. I like Tubby as a person, and yes I have actually met him a couple times. He's a FINE man as good a person as I've ever met.

He did a good job early on at UK, then he got complacent, was told to get his act together or else by Dr. Todd and did so for a couple more years. Then back to the same old complacent crap.

I hope for Bama, that he doesn't take the job. Let him ride it out in MN where they are happy to just make the tournament.

steelyvan
03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
insiders suggest its mike anderson

UA37
03-04-2009, 02:56 PM
insiders suggest its mike anderson

I don't believe this anymore. I think we're going to get someone higher on the list. It's hard to tell tho with the limited info.

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2009, 04:10 PM
If Tubby had already put in 5 years at Minn., then I would think there was a chance. I just can't imagine him jumping ship that soon at this point in his career.

That is unless he is looking for a final retirement spot in the South. He has a ton of good years left, but I think Tubby is ready to settle into a community he can call home.

If Tubby stayed five years at Minnesota though, he'd be past 60 and then I'm not so sure he'd want to move at that point in his career.

Tubby would be a great fit at Bama. Trent Johnson would provide stiff competition but otherwise, it would be the least amount of competition Tubby has ever had in a division in a BCS league.

UA37
03-07-2009, 10:28 AM
There is still chatter that Tubby has let it be known that he's interested in the job. I hope this happens! If not TUbby, then i think its gonna be Mike A.

OffThePorch
03-07-2009, 10:56 AM
I don't believe this anymore. I think we're going to get someone higher on the list. It's hard to tell tho with the limited info.
you wont hear anything until after the damce. imo it wb a good hire. he's doing a good job.

UA37
03-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Yeah we won't have a coach until after the tournament, but some are saying there has been communication between UA and the agents of potential hires. Perhaps even an offer.

OffThePorch
03-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah we won't have a coach until after the tournament, but some are saying there has been communication between UA and the agents of potential hires. Perhaps even an offer.

oh yeah im sure some behind the scenes talk.. maybe more.. has happened.
& i agree that UA will be in the mix next season. very talented.

Bacon
03-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Wouldn't it be easier if Gillispe went to 'Bama and Tubby came back to Kentucky?

SkyAntoine
03-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Wouldn't it be easier if Gillispe went to 'Bama and Tubby came back to Kentucky?

I heard Gillispie was going to Arkansas and Tubby was coming back to Kentucky along with Pel as the coach-in-waiting.

kentubbybasketball
03-09-2009, 02:35 PM
There is still chatter that Tubby has let it be known that he's interested in the job. I hope this happens! If not TUbby, then i think its gonna be Mike A.

I find it strange Tubby would leave with the recruits he has coming in next year. I really do. The Big 10 is a tougher league to win in though, so maybe the pull of Bama (and the winning that's available there) is too much to pass off.

I don't think Tubby goes to Bama, but if he does, all I gotta say is "Roll Tide."

But, there's been some mentions of Tubby possibly going to Arizona too, so Tubby may have his pick... and in that case, I gotta pick Zona personally.

RailroadGin
03-09-2009, 02:38 PM
I find it strange Tubby would leave with the recruits he has coming in next year. I really do. The Big 10 is a tougher league to win in though, so maybe the pull of Bama (and the winning that's available there) is too much to pass off.

I don't think Tubby goes to Bama, but if he does, all I gotta say is "Roll Tide."

But, there's been some mentions of Tubby possibly going to Arizona too, so Tubby may have his pick... and in that case, I gotta pick Zona personally.

I agree. I don't see Tubby leaving unless it's out West. Whoever said he'd come back to UK has to be kidding. In my mind, UK needs to go hard after John Calipari. If you can't get him (highly likely bc Calipari has everything he could possible want at Memphis) then you give the job to Tom Izzo who everyone knows wanted the job last time around.

kentubbybasketball
03-09-2009, 02:42 PM
That's what the rumors said that Izzo wanted the job, but quite frankly, Izzo would bring the same style that Tubby had here... the same exact style. Granted, that style works for me, but that style didn't appease too many UK fans.

Now, Cal would bring a nice (Pitinolike style) that the fans would latch on too.

If I'm UK, I go after Izzo (my second favorite coach in the country), Calipari, or Tom Crean. All three coaches have final four experience.

RailroadGin
03-09-2009, 02:45 PM
That's what the rumors said that Izzo wanted the job, but quite frankly, Izzo would bring the same style that Tubby had here... the same exact style. Granted, that style works for me, but that style didn't appease too many UK fans.

Now, Cal would bring a nice (Pitinolike style) that the fans would latch on too.

If I'm UK, I go after Izzo (my second favorite coach in the country), Calipari, or Tom Crean. All three coaches have final four experience.

I don't see Crean leaving so soon after taking the Indiana job. I think UK were ok with Tubby's style as long as he recruited and kept winning. When one of those "seemed" to be slipping they got riled. You can call Izzo's style boring, but it's pretty darn effective. He has the hardware to prove it. He's a proven winner, big name, and recruited nationally well. To be honest, there aren't that manner candidate like that who UK has a shot at.

kentubbybasketball
03-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Railroad, of course there's not that many candidates with Izzo's resume... there's not even 3 coaches in the nation that have that resume period.

But, the thing of the matter is UK fans want run and gun. Even in better days (under Tubby) people complained about style... like the person that called his radio show and said, "I know we're 25-4, but I've not given up on this team yet." It's Kentucky.

Anyway, Izzo has been at MSU for 25 years. It's gonna take something special to pry him away. He loves East Lansing, and some NBA jobs haven't even pulled him away. Maybe UK is it, but we're presently not looking for a coach.

As for Tom Crean. The UK job isn't vacant right now. We're not shopping. Crean clearly wanted to coach at a top 6 school, that's why he took over at IU, when he could've won 30 games at Marquette this year. Crean has willing taken over rebuilding jobs in the past, and you really wouldn't be rebuilding too much at Kentucky.

RailroadGin
03-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Oh I completely understand. But in my opinion, UK fans will find something to complain about. They have very high standards (deservedly so) for basketball. Gary Parrish (who I consider a VERY good source) openly says if UK offers Izzo, he's gone. Calipari would have to consider it bc you know UK is going to throw a lot of money at whoever they want. UK is a top 5 job in basketball (UNC,UCLA,Kansas,Indiana). Cal will only leave Memphis for one of those jobs and maybe even just 2 of them. Those would be my two guys if I were UK. If Ole Miss beats UK Thursday, Gillespie will be gone. He might be gone anyway.

kentubbybasketball
03-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Railroad, there really is no precedent for UK firing a coach for futility/not winning, so I'm not sure how you can be so confident that UK is gonna be shopping for a new coach.

I'm with you on Izzo and Calipari, but I think Tom Crean would be an "easy choice," and should've been when Tubby left due to the connections/similarities to Pitino. Tom Crean is exciting, and while he rode the coattails of DWade to his only final four and only had one other Sweet 16 at Marquette, he still would bring excitement. UK needs to be exciting again.

RailroadGin
03-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Railroad, there really is no precedent for UK firing a coach for futility/not winning, so I'm not sure how you can be so confident that UK is gonna be shopping for a new coach.

I'm with you on Izzo and Calipari, but I think Tom Crean would be an "easy choice," and should've been when Tubby left due to the connections/similarities to Pitino. Tom Crean is exciting, and while he rode the coattails of DWade to his only final four and only had one other Sweet 16 at Marquette, he still would bring excitement. UK needs to be exciting again.

Ageed. My opinion on the firing is based solely on the seemingly increasing impatience of programs across the board. UK may very well stick with him. For the sake of the SEC, I hope they don't. As much as UK annoys me, the SEC is better off with them being nationally relevant.

XPS
03-09-2009, 03:11 PM

I guess 2005 is the last time i felt that way about UK....

kentubbybasketball
03-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Ageed. My opinion on the firing is based solely on the seemingly increasing impatience of programs across the board. UK may very well stick with him. For the sake of the SEC, I hope they don't. As much as UK annoys me, the SEC is better off with them being nationally relevant.

Yeah, I agree whole-heartedly except for Gillispie needing to be fired. I do think with UK closing in on our all-time wins numbers, that could be another issue that Gillispie has to overcome in terms of job security... because at least right now, UK can still say they have more wins than anybody.

rolling baby
03-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Tubby to Bama is a pipe dream. I'm still thinking Grant or Anderson, both of which are not exactly guarantees. I'd rather promote Pearson if there are not realistic viable candidates this year. If Pearson stinks in a season or so, cut our loss and hire the next mid major superstar. Although that coach at Butler isn't too bad.

steelyvan
03-09-2009, 10:03 PM
hiring Pearson as a permanent head coach would not be in the best interests of Bama, short term or long term