Vandy 75 FT's to UK & USC's 32 FT's.... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Vandy 75 FT's to UK & USC's 32 FT's....

XPS
03-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Are teams getting raped at Vandy lately or what? Maybe its just homecourt advantage or maybe its just Vandy playing like MEN at home and sissy's on the road. The last victim was USC, 35 to 9 FT advantage for Vandy, no thats not a misprint.

People talk about Rupp being corrupt LOL, UK's last 2 home games, UK had a 32-31 FT advantage to USC's last 2 home games 75-32 WOW...

bleedorange1983
03-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Are teams getting raped at Vandy lately or what? Maybe its just homecourt advantage or maybe its just Vandy playing like MEN at home and sissy's on the road. The last victim was USC, 35 to 9 FT advantage for Vandy, no thats not a misprint.

People talk about Rupp being corrupt LOL, UK's last 2 home games, UK had a 32-31 FT advantage to USC's last 2 home games 75-32 WOW...

They had the same problem last year, they just aren't the same team on the road that they are in Memorial.

Home team always gets more FT attempts, UT didn't take one FT in the first half against UF this weekend.

Rocky@theTop
03-04-2009, 11:34 AM
The officiating in Memorial Junk has always been know to be corrupt.

bleedorange1983
03-04-2009, 11:35 AM
The officiating in Memorial Junk has always been know to be corrupt.

So you're telling me there's no magic? :rotf:

VandyChuck
03-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Is this thread a joke?? No really, is it?

South Carolina shot like 35 threes. They didn't earn their way to the foul line. USC went to a very aggressive press after we got up early, and REALLY DID (gasp!!) foul us a lot. Same goes for the UK game. We attacked the basket and earned those trips to the line. The actual FOULS CALLED discrepency was 29-21. Wouldn't this be a better indicator than FT attempts????

You're better than that, XPS

And yes, we do play like sissies on the road for the most part. Always have. But we've also made a LOT of visiting teams look like sissies coming into our place...UK included, 4 straight years.

orange&white
03-04-2009, 12:16 PM
I watched the Vandy/UK game and Vandy played way more agressively than UK and deserved to go to the free throw line a ton more.

orange&white
03-04-2009, 12:18 PM
They had the same problem last year, they just aren't the same team on the road that they are in Memorial.

Home team always gets more FT attempts, UT didn't take one FT in the first half against UF this weekend.

That was amazing, especially the way UT plays. Not saying they should of got to the free throw line because we shot 9 threes in the first half and I can't remember any blown calls, but still pretty crazy.

bleedorange1983
03-04-2009, 12:25 PM

That was amazing, especially the way UT plays. Not saying they should of got to the free throw line because we shot 9 threes in the first half and I can't remember any blown calls, but still pretty crazy.

Yeah, I think it was just us hitting all our shots that contributed to the lack of FTs. Rare occasion for these Vols. The officiating was fine that game.

GoCommies
03-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Deceptive - Look at the actual fouls. USC game, 25-14 fouls in favor of VU. Ogilvy, Taylor and Tinsley shot the most because they were taking the ball at the rim. Beal hit FT's late.

UK game, 28-21 fouls in favor of VU. Ogilvy and Taylor again with the bulk of FTs, and Beal later in the game as UK was fouling. So the FTs # is selective reasoning. Watch the games, not the box score, for the true story.

Every single game has fouls that are missed and phantom fouls that are called. Its part of the game. VU clearly played better than both teams in each game.

Vandy420
03-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Funny how UK fans are still crying over the Vandy game. Even though they know the FT advantage is exxaggerated by the style of play in the game. Look at the actual fouls to see how even it was. When we were up big on both teams they were fouling late driving up the final difference in fouls and FT's. Funny how XPS is still trying to make the FT attempts an issue but won't touch the actual foul count issue. Why avoid the actual fouls called XPS? Even KT agreed it was due to the way UK was playing and them having zero inside presence.

Both games Vandy took it hard inside and dominated. SC fans haven't been crying like UK fans have.

Vandy has always played horrible on the road.

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm sorry but UK sucked in that game.. flat sucked. Why don't we admit that although Meeks got his averages, Taylor really bottled him up. Meeks at one point was leading the league in FT attempts, but I can only remember one time when Meeks should've gotten some foul shots but didn't.

UK lost the game, Vandy won. Vandy took it to us, and FTs certainly weren't the difference. We used to win games without the refs having to have an imprint on the game. Not only was Vandy the more aggressive team on offensive plays, but they were attacking the glass on the offensive end, which also leads to FTs.

I've made a conscious effort not to blame refs for losses, especially league... because it only pisses people off. UK has been the beneficiary of missed calls for decades. If refs began to call us for all the handchecks we made during the Tubby era we wouldn't have won as many games as we did FWIW.

Let's just let it go... who wants to remember that vandy beat us anyway? LOL

VandyChuck
03-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Let's just let it go... who wants to remember that vandy beat us anyway? LOL

I do I do!!

Vandy420
03-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Thank you KT. Rep if I can. If there is any excuse as to why Vandy shot so many more FT's and dominated most the game it was 1) b/c of Taylor doing a great job defending Meeks, and 2) Patterson being out.

Just like the first game, we didn't lose in Rupp b/c of the refs. We lost b/c 1) UK was more aggressive and played good, and 2) Ogilvy and Goulborne were out.

UK and Vandy are 2 very evenly matched teams. UK is just a little more consistant than Vandy and has a lights out shooter.

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2009, 04:28 PM
I do I do!!

Of course you do. As I've always said, Chuck, beating UK is your theoretical "national championship game.":raz:

Gotcha!:rotf:

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Thank you KT. Rep if I can. If there is any excuse as to why Vandy shot so many more FT's and dominated most the game it was 1) b/c of Taylor doing a great job defending Meeks, and 2) Patterson being out.

Just like the first game, we didn't lose in Rupp b/c of the refs. We lost b/c 1) UK was more aggressive and played good, and 2) Ogilvy and Goulborne were out.

UK and Vandy are 2 very evenly matched teams. UK is just a little more consistant than Vandy and has a lights out shooter.

I know he shot well the second game when he actually did play, but don't overstate Goulborne's importance too much. Ogilvy, okay I get that, but who's to say Goulborne was gonna be the difference anyway?

VandyChuck
03-04-2009, 04:29 PM

Our consistency is what's bothered us for years, IMO. Over the last few years, we've proven we can beat ANYBODY in the country, but also proved we can lose to really bad teams. I know all teams do this, but I'm not sure anybody has quite as many peaks and valleys as we do. If there's a team that has a bigger discrepency in their performance at home compared to on the road, I'd like to see it.

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Our consistency is what's bothered us for years, IMO. Over the last few years, we've proven we can beat ANYBODY in the country, but also proved we can lose to really bad teams. I know all teams do this, but I'm not sure anybody has quite as many peaks and valleys as we do. If there's a team that has a bigger discrepency in their performance at home compared to on the road, I'd like to see it.

Uh, meet Kentucky 2008-2009.

VandyChuck
03-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Uh, meet Kentucky 2008-2009.

in conference, UK is 4-3 on the road and at home.

Last year Vandy was 8-0 at home and 2-6 on the road
This year Vandy is 5-2 at home and 1-6 on the road.

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2009, 04:42 PM
That's my point precisely. With this Kentucky you don't know what you're going to get on the road (same as Vandy) and you don't know what you'll get at home either (not like Vandy).

Vandy420
03-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Well you know your gonna get a bad performance on the road with Vandy, thats a given.

And I wasn't saying Goulborne would have been the difference. I included him b/c he would have gotten significant minutes, and he was the leading scorer for vandy in the 2nd game. He could have easily laid an egg if he played the first time, but so could have ogilvy or patterson in the 2nd game (although unlikely that patterson would have)

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Well you know your gonna get a bad performance on the road with Vandy, thats a given.

I'd rather go in knowing what to expect. That's what angers G about this team, he still doesn't know what to expect on any night. Tonight we expecty to beat UGA, but who says that's gonna happen?

orange&white
03-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah I think UK is more inconsistent than Vandy. I can usually predict Vandy games pretty well, with UK there really is no rhyme or reason on which games they win or lose except certian teams gameplans are better than others against UK.

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2009, 05:35 PM
There is a rhyme and a reason IMO. If Porter is allowed to walk the ball up the court, we're fine, because Porter once we get settled into our offense, normally gets the ball where it needs to go and UK shoots a high % of FGs. But, if he's pressured up the court, it gets nasty. That's why Devan Downey is the worst matchup we've faced all season long.

SECgamecock453
03-04-2009, 08:57 PM
I love how there are no USC fans in here giving a damn.

Thunder Gulch
03-04-2009, 10:16 PM
I love how there are no USC fans in here giving a damn.

Bingo....I'm thinking the UGA game will get them to focus their attention elsewhere. For the record, LSU had more free throws than Vandy tonight.