Georgia Locks In On Capel: Prepared To Offer $2 Mil [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Locks In On Capel: Prepared To Offer $2 Mil

XPS
03-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Itís no secret that Georgia has identified Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel as its guy to replace Dennis Felton in Athens.

What is surprising is that, according to sources close to the situation, the Bulldogs are prepared to offer Capel in excess of $2 million per season.

Capel, 34, is one of the elite young coaches in the country. He was the head coach at VCU for four seasons before being hired by Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione in 2006.

Capel was 16-15 in his first season in Norman, but has gone 47-13 since and the Sooners are in position to receive a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament unless they falter down the stretch.

Georgia fired Felton in the middle of this season. Other names that have been mentioned as possible replacements include the guy who followed Capel at VCU, Anthony Grant, as well as former NBA head coach Sam Mitchell.

While Capel stands atop the list, the question becomes why Capel would leave Oklahoma for Georgia. The job he has is better.

However, one issue that is interesting is that Capel is the sixth highest-paid coach in the Big 12. Thereís no doubt he should be behind Texasí Rick Barnes and Kansasí Bill Self, but he makes less than Oklahoma Stateís Travis Ford, Baylorís Scott Drew and Texas A&Mís Mark Turgeon.

Look for that to change whether Capel remains in Norman or not.

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Capel is not a $2 million coach. I guess if you really want a guy though you try to entice him with money. Capel has done a nice job at OU and did a great job at VCU, but at this point he's not worthy of $2 million.

If Capel is really considering that he better think about the kind of pressure accepting that much money is gonna put on him. I'd personally stay at Oklahoma... the state produces good enough talent to win. I have heard that Capel likes OU football but wishes basketball got more respect, but I'm not sure it'd be any better down at UGA.

I just don't see OU not giving him a raise, which keeps him in Norman, even if it's not $2 million. I do like to see UGA trying to swing for some big name guys though. UGA normally has gotten its coaches from the midmajor ranks or D-I assistants in Jirsa's case, so this does indicate that uGA is serious about winning.

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2009, 03:07 PM
BTW, on the thing about Sam Mitchell. I don't understand why BCS schools go after former NBA coaches. Unless that coach understands all that recruiting entails, I don't think they are normally good fits for BCS level programs. Sure, Pitino worked here well from the NBA at Kentucky, but he had already been to a Final Four before Kentucky ever hired him.

boxvic
03-03-2009, 03:24 PM
If I'm Georgia and I'm looking to spend that kind of money I'm going for someone like Keno Davis. I think he'd be more willing to leave his current job.

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2009, 03:39 PM
I do think Keno would be more willing to leave Providence (a crowded big east), but if he is more willing to leave, it probably wouldn't take as much money to entice him. But, Keno, who's only coached two years, and those two being at separate schools, that's a humongous risk.

Keno does come from the Bruce Pearl tree though, so there is an SEC connection.

UA37
03-03-2009, 04:09 PM
awesome. i hope it works out for Georgia.

Herchel
03-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Capel is probably playing the leverage game. He will use UGA to get a substantial raise from OU.

The good news is the offer. It means Evans is serious. UGA has the most money in the SEC. If they want to be competitive, they can.

Just Some Hog Dude
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
He should go to UGA.

Herchel
03-03-2009, 05:28 PM
He should go to UGA.

That would be true from a lifestyle POV. Athens>>>>>> Norman.

boxvic
03-03-2009, 05:31 PM
He should go to UGA.

I dunno, if you look at it from his side it really wouldn't be worth it if he can get OU to pony up the big bucks. UGA and OU are both on about the same level, they are football schools that can be good in basketball but are never going to be real powerhouses in hoops. If he goes to UGA he has to basically start over and rebuild the program, where as he already has things his way in OU.

I think Capel uses this to get money from OU.

And honestly, there are better coaches out there that UGA could get. There is a ton of guys in the Big East that are excellent coaches who aren't making the big money and are at schools that will never be on the same level as the elite Big East teams.

Just Some Hog Dude
03-03-2009, 05:32 PM
That would be true from a lifestyle POV. Athens>>>>>> Norman.

OKC is probably better than Athens in many ways but Georgia has a lot more basketball talent than Oklahoma.

georgiaguy31015
03-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Like Herchel said it's good that Evans is serious about this and I'm glad to see him trying so hard to get a winner but I also believe that Capel is using this for leverage and he will stay at OU when things are all said and done. I just don't want Georgia wasting all of their time to try to get Capel and other coaches like Grant are snagged up in the meantime and Georgia is left with a 3rd or 4th choice.

Herchel
03-03-2009, 05:51 PM
OKC is probably better than Athens in many ways but Georgia has a lot more basketball talent than Oklahoma.

Name a way.

ECDawg78
03-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Damon is dead serious about turning this program into a top 20 program. I am convinced that he will bring in a quality HC that can and will build the program into national prominence..........no one has better resources and the facilities are now top notch. All we need is the right coach........

GDawg88
03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm not saying Capel will take the job (in fact I think it's quite unlikely), but the dollar figure at least gives him something to seriously ponder.

scgamecock312
03-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Better open the checkbook wide because last year before we got Horn we were going to offer Capel a lot of money and OU was up to the challenge.

fodive
03-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Not only would I think OU would match, Capel won't take a downgrade at this point (and UGA is AT BEST a lateral move).

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm not saying Capel will take the job (in fact I think it's quite unlikely), but the dollar figure at least gives him something to seriously ponder.

Do you think the figure is what it should be? Is that the level of UGA men's basketball? Few programs have $2 million coaches.