Florida OUT, Kentucky IN [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Florida OUT, Kentucky IN

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Am I the only person that thinks this should be reversed. Now, I'm a UK fan, and I hope we do make the NCAAT, but I don't understand how Florida could be out if we're in (based on the latest bracketology by Lunardi). I think the only thing that helps UK is that we have beaten them already and that their OOC schedule was worse than ours... but outside of that, I'm kind of shocked that UK is above Florida.

XPS
03-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Am I the only person that thinks this should be reversed. Now, I'm a UK fan, and I hope we do make the NCAAT, but I don't understand how Florida could be out if we're in (based on the latest bracketology by Lunardi). I think the only thing that helps UK is that we have beaten them already and that their OOC schedule wasn't worse than ours... but outside of that, I'm kind of shocked that UK is above Florida.

Who has the better wins?

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Florida actually has THE best win: Washington. We beat West Virginia, but West Virginia < Washington. Washington is the Pac 10 Champs afterall.

They got a NC State win and we got a Kansas State win. There, I say Kansas State is better. But, you can't hide behind that Washington win.

Florida's RPI is better too.

g8rphish
03-03-2009, 02:40 PM
neither team's strenghth of schedule or RPI is even remotely impressive.

XPS
03-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Florida actually has THE best win: Washington. We beat West Virginia, but West Virginia < Washington. Washington is the Pac 10 Champs afterall.

They got a NC State win and we got a Kansas State win. There, I say Kansas State is better. But, you can't hide behind that Washington win.

Florida's RPI is better too.

What about strength of shedule? Will the ncaa favor UK, because they know UK will make them more$$$$$?

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2009, 02:41 PM
neither team's strenghth of schedule or RPI is even remotely impressive.

I think most BCS schools will have unimpressive SOS though. These days everybody seems to be cupcaking it up, except for UT in this league... that's why UT is a lock in my mind.

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2009, 02:42 PM
What about strength of shedule? Will the ncaa favor UK, because they know UK will make them more$$$$$?

Kentucky is 'name brand.' That's not meant to be arrogant, but I do think being a "name" school does help, even if they denied it. Granted, UNC, Duke, and Indiana have all missed the tourney in the last 15 years though, so the NCAA isn't afraid to leave "name schools" home, but in all three of those cases those teams weren't close to being at larges.

Rocky@theTop
03-03-2009, 02:45 PM
I think both make it. Something tells me the SEC is gonna get 5 teams.

weegeman
03-03-2009, 02:45 PM
I think we have a slight edge over other comparable bubble teams because of this:

1) brand team as KT mentioned, also with one of the longest streaks of making the tournament
2) our fans travel better than any other fanbase and will make big $$$
3) the exposure of Jodie Meeks - If I couldn't decide between two bubble teams I would take the team with the guy who can put up 54 points in a game. It helps ratings.

XPS
03-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Kentucky is 'name brand.' That's not meant to be arrogant, but I do think being a "name" school does help, even if they denied it. Granted, UNC, Duke, and Indiana have all missed the tourney in the last 15 years though, so the NCAA isn't afraid to leave "name schools" home, but in all three of those cases those teams weren't close to being at larges.

Kentucky fans will travel well, no matter the location... That does help...

XPS
03-03-2009, 02:48 PM
I think both make it. Something tells me the SEC is gonna get 5 teams.

Hope your right...

SkyAntoine
03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I laughed at Florida's non-conference SOS, but....
Florida 303
UK 243

Wow...

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2009, 02:50 PM
I agree our fans travel well... we were sent to Anaheim to face Marquette last year, but aren't the schools allotted only a certain amount of tickets though. Granted, there are scalpers, but there's a cap limit on how much a school can offer fans I thought.

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2009, 02:51 PM
I laughed at Florida's non-conference SOS, but....
Florida 303
UK 243

Wow...

And, personally, sometimes you can use the argument, "well, I can't dictate how good our opponents are gonna be." But, we schedule teams that did bad in their conferences last year, so we should have expected that.

Check out Penn State's SOS though, Sky. They are on the bubble, and their SOS may burst their bubble... they are one of those teams that schedule some mid majors that they thought would have been good this year, but it didn't pan out like that.

weegeman
03-03-2009, 03:16 PM
I agree our fans travel well... we were sent to Anaheim to face Marquette last year, but aren't the schools allotted only a certain amount of tickets though. Granted, there are scalpers, but there's a cap limit on how much a school can offer fans I thought.

It doesn't matter how many are allotted to each school. The Kentucky fans buy more tickets and go to the games regardless. I've been to the SEC Tournament the past several years (down years for UK) and it was simply a sea of blue. There's no disputing that. It's that way in any tournament Kentucky attends, whether its the Maui Invitational, Great Alaskan Shootout, Vegas, etc. it doesn't matter. The fans travel and the committee knows that. I'm not suggesting the fanbase SHOULD matter, I'm just saying I think it DOES matter.

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2009, 03:21 PM
I do think it matters, and those guys in with the "brand name" thing that I was talking about.