Billy G or Billy D which one is the most disappointing [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Billy G or Billy D which one is the most disappointing

XPS
03-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Both of these coaches have talent, I think Fla's team has the better overall roster, but UK has the best duo Meeks and Patterson. I think both teams underachieved this year, both teams on the bubble again this year, is unacceptable...

orange&white
03-03-2009, 12:02 AM
I really don't think UK is talented enough to be a really good team and Florida isn't tough enough and can't guard well. They are both about where they should be.

Tennessee
03-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Fair or not, when you are the coach at KY, expectations are higher, and Billy G has underacheived...I wasn't expecting as final 4 run, but 8-6 in the SEC in year 2, with players the calibur of Meeks and Patterson just aint good...Alot of teams don't have one player of that calibur, and KY has 2...

Billy D built his own expectations with the 2 NCs, but that was above and beyond what was expected at UF...It has been a little disappointing seeing them not be able to get it together for 2 straight years, as I thought the UF players would have bought in by now, but KY is still the biggest dissapointment, by far, IMO

swampmonster
03-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Well for me personally, obviously it's Billy D, pretty pathetic to lose so many close winnable games, I guess I'm thankful we're not getting totally blown out, but his teams seem to lack that killer instinct, that you need to finish games.

I'll agree that from a objective point of view, UK has greater expectations in general.

Fact is Billy D put UF on the map, so he has a lot of "down-season" collateral in the bank.

Billy G? Not so much.

UA37
03-03-2009, 08:39 AM
I think it's Billy D, but ask me in a couple of weeks.

SkyAntoine
03-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Other than Billy D refusing to discipline Hodge after brutally attacking one of our players, I'm going with Billy Clyde Gillispie.

swampmonster
03-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Other than Billy D refusing to discipline Hodge after brutally attacking one of our players, I'm going with Billy Clyde Gillispie.

:lol: here we go.

g8rphish
03-03-2009, 08:58 AM
i'm pretty disappointed in the Gators...but i never thought we'd light the world on fire this season anyway. i'd say UK had a more disappointing season based on expectations.

i think what hodge did was intentional.

gatormaniac
03-03-2009, 09:04 AM

Did they get that arm re-attached?

I'm disappointed more with some of the UF players more than coach. Parsons and Werner have been a total disappointment when the Gators needed them most. That said, I think fans of both teams have good arguments for their respective coaches. I'm gonna call this one a draw.

Gatorbabe
03-03-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm disappointed in everything to do with Florida basketball. The fans have sucked all year. I'm disappointed in Billy as well as the players. Unfortunately for Billy, he has no choice but to play guys like Werner. They cannot play defense ... how many guys have had ridiculous shooting nights against us. UT is the worst shooting team in the SEC yet they went crazy against Florida in both games.

UK/Billy G can fail for all I care ... I enjoy the fact that at least they are struggling too. :)

SkyAntoine
03-03-2009, 09:29 AM
UK/Billy G can fail for all I care ... I enjoy the fact that at least they are struggling too. :)
This used to be my sentiment towards Donovan and Clyde...
http://usera.imagecave.com/SkyAntoine/GillispieDonovancopy.jpg
Now, their stock is about as high as AIG.

Gatorbabe
03-03-2009, 10:12 AM
This used to be my sentiment towards Donovan and Clyde...
http://usera.imagecave.com/SkyAntoine/GillispieDonovancopy.jpg
Now, their stock is about as high as AIG.

Well Billy D is still an elite coach .... He is struggling, no doubt about that but he's done a lot the past 10 years. Billy G on the other hand is not living up to expectations.

SkyAntoine
03-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Well Billy D is still an elite coach .... He is struggling, no doubt about that but he's done a lot the past 10 years. Billy G on the other hand is not living up to expectations.
I meant Donovan's stock fell once he decided not to come to Kentucky. I don't really pay any attention to his successes or failures anymore.:raz:

swampmonster
03-03-2009, 10:24 AM
I meant Donovan's stock fell once he decided not to come to Kentucky.

A prime example of UK's unrealistic expectations.

Poor Billy G. :raz:

GatorMan32
03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Both are underachieving this year. The difference is job security, Donovan has 3 Final 4's and 2 NC's at a school not known for basketball. He will get time to work the kinks out and get back up to the elite of the sport. G might have 2 more years the way things are going at Kentucky and then he will be out. He was hired to make the Final 4, nothing short of that will keep his job IMO.

XPS
03-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Both are underachieving this year. The difference is job security, Donovan has 3 Final 4's and 2 NC's at a school not known for basketball. He will get time to work the kinks out and get back up to the elite of the sport. G might have 2 more years the way things are going at Kentucky and then he will be out. He was hired to make the Final 4, nothing short of that will keep his job IMO.

Your right 32, D will never be pressured like G will, because he is Fla basketball and of course winning back to back championships doesn't hurt either. I also still consider Fla a football school first and why not, Urban Meyer and the Gators are awesome...

It would be interesting for both coaches to switch rosters and see the results...

XPS
03-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Fair or not, when you are the coach at KY, expectations are higher, and Billy G has underacheived...I wasn't expecting as final 4 run, but 8-6 in the SEC in year 2, with players the
calibur of
Meeks and Patterson just
aint good...
Alot of teams don't have one player of that
calibur, and KY has 2...

Billy D built his own expectations with the 2 NCs, but that was above and beyond what was expected at UF...It has been a little disappointing seeing them not be able to get it together for 2 straight years, as I thought the UF players would have bought in by now, but KY is still the biggest dissapointment, by far, IMO

As we are seeing, Meeks can be shutdown, I give you Patterson. But Nick is pretty damn good in his own right, UK has shown there lack of a decent PG and thats Fla's strength. UK's expectations will always be higher than any other SEC team in any year. I talking about this year...

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2009, 12:30 PM
To me, it's Billy Gillispie. We lost the first game of the year to VMI and the team doesn't seem to be much better with two SEC games left. I think Gillispie should have developed more role players by now. As GM32 has astutely noted, any part of predicting a disappointing season is predicated on what the coach has done in the past, and Billy D has earned the right to disappoint.

Personally,I don't feel like Florida has underachieved this year. UK on the other hand, was predicted to be second in the East.

But, honestly hasn't every SECE coach been disappointing this year, other than Darrin Horn?

ConwayGamecock
03-03-2009, 12:31 PM
IMO, there's no argument, really...I think UF would have achieved even LESS on the court this season, if it wasn't for Donovan's mid-game adjustments and plays......UF's issue is he recruited a bunch of great talent, but they have nothing in the way of heart and fight that BD's title-winning teams had.....they play like they wait for things to come to them, and past Gator teams just spit in your eye and took it from you.

I think UK is held down by BG and his lack of in-game adjustments. He continues to have his team play the same plays even as they are falling behind big-time, and just stares at the team while they do it. IMO, he's not on the same level as BD in this regard....

In a nutshell, What BD is capable of achieving at UF is being restrained by his team, and what the team is capable of achieving at UK is being restrained by BG.....

UA37
03-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Billy D coming off two national championships in three years should have been able to reload easily. Two NIT years in a row would have to be a pretty big disappointment. I think Florida makes the tournament tho.

ConwayGamecock
03-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Personally,I don't feel like Florida has underachieved this year. UK on the other hand, was predicted to be second in the East.

But, honestly hasn't every SECE coach been disappointing this year, other than Darrin Horn?

UK was predicted to be third in the East, behind UF:

Eastern Division
Tennessee (23) 172
Florida (5) 143
Kentucky (2) 130
Vanderbilt 88
South Carolina 56
Georgia 41

The standings today:

South Carolina 20-7 (9-5)
Tennessee 18-10 (9-5)
Florida 21-8 (8-6)
Kentucky 19-10 (8-6)
Vanderbilt 17-11 (6-8)
Georgia 11-18 (2-12)

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Billy D coming off two national championships in three years should have been able to reload easily. Two NIT years in a row would have to be a pretty big disappointment. I think Florida makes the tournament tho.

Yeah, we see that KU is just fine after losing 7 seniors/NBA draftees after their title. Granted, getting back a point guard in Collins and a post in Aldrich was huge, but Florida did return Hodge and Speights last year, and added the #1 recruiting class.

I still think that because of that success though, you really can't fault Billy D that much.

I think the game on Saturday could decide who's really been the most disappointing. With a loss UK is maybe out of the NCAAT and with a loss, UF is swept by UK, so who knows?

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2009, 12:41 PM
UK was predicted to be third in the East, behind UF:

Eastern Division
Tennessee (23) 172
Florida (5) 143
Kentucky (2) 130
Vanderbilt 88
South Carolina 56
Georgia 41

The standings today:

South Carolina 20-7 (9-5)
Tennessee 18-10 (9-5)
Florida 21-8 (8-6)
Kentucky 19-10 (8-6)
Vanderbilt 17-11 (6-8)
Georgia 11-18 (2-12)

I was talking about my own predictions, since I'm answering the question about who's been most disappointing in my own opinion.

ConwayGamecock
03-03-2009, 12:44 PM
I should have known.....

:rolleyes::rotf:

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Your right 32, D will never be pressured like G will, because he is Fla basketball and of course winning back to back championships doesn't hurt either. I also still consider Fla a football school first and why not, Urban Meyer and the Gators are awesome...

It would be interesting for both coaches to switch rosters and see the results...

If they switched rosters, Billy G would do exceptionally well. Billy G's best teams have always been the ones that we led by some nice PGs.. Acie Law or Ramel Bradley, he even had a JUCO guy down at UTEP that was good. Great point guard play really has been G's meal ticket.

As for Billy D, I'm not sure our defense would be much better, but I do assume with great certainty that our offense would be more fluid. And, we wouldn't have lost to VMI, which I think got this year off track from the getgo, and we've still not found the right groove.

Interesting comment about the switch though, since Florida and Kentucky recruit in the same circles (Patterson, Meeks, Werner to name a few).

GatorMan32
03-03-2009, 02:24 PM

As long as we get to keep Calathes, deal.

XPS
03-03-2009, 02:26 PM
As long as we get to keep Calathes, deal.

No deal 32...