Senior Night! [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Senior Night!

kentubbybasketball
03-02-2009, 01:53 PM
It's that time of year again. I've been here since the 2004 season, and around that last week of the regular season, I always start a "Senior Night" thread, aimed at allowing SECF basketball fans to talk about the outgoing seniors.

So, here's the thread. What seniors do you have that are leaving? How valuable are they to your program? Did they meet, exceed, or fall short of their potential? What do you forsee them doing in the future? WHo else should've been in that class that either transferred or went to the NBA early?

This is the youngest our league has been in a long time... Auburn and LSU are the only teams that strike me as programs that are losing a load of key freshmen, but UK still has Jared Carter that's on his way out.

kentubbybasketball
03-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Jared Carter: He's our lone senior. He's a 7'2 center, for those of you who don't know. Jared came in that class right after Randolph Morris. He's from Georgetown, which is 30 minutes from Lexington. UNC and Illinois both wanted him, the two teams that played for the national title that year... so it looked like a great pickup, especially since he was a top 100 guy from Rivals.

Jared didn't play much as a freshman but he should've redshirted perhaps. Anyway, his sophomore year he hurts his shoulder after playing only like 5 games. He hurts the next year as well, which made Jared a little timid.

Jared never really played much here, was oft-injured, endured a tough coaching change, but he's always been class. I wish Jared nothing but the best and wish his career would've panned out.

Jared is our only senior, but Adam Williams came in that same class. Adam transferred to Marshall after one year. Rekalin Sims also was a part of that class, but Rekalin was a JUCO

MSUado
03-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Brian Johnson is our only senior. He transferred from Louisville a few years ago and has battled injuries his whole career. He's been a great cheerleader when on the bench and I've heard that he's a very good guy. We won't miss his production but I think the guys all look up to him so we will miss that.

kentubbybasketball
03-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Johnson was in the 2004 class... really good friends with Rondo, both were McDonald's AA. There were high hopes for him up at Louisville.

weegeman
03-02-2009, 02:27 PM
I remember going to Big Blue Madness a few years back (coming into Jared's sophomore year) and watching Jared play great in the scrimmage. He hit about 8 out of 10 shots. Tubby said he was the most improved player on the team. I commented that he would make a big difference. He hurt his shoulder shortly after that and has never been relevant since.

kentubbybasketball
03-02-2009, 02:30 PM
I think we had to take a shot on Jared though. He's a guy that really shot up his senior year in the rankings, and people were on Tubby for letting Lofton get away the year before, so I think Tubby did the right thing.

VandyChuck
03-02-2009, 02:30 PM

kentubbybasketball
03-02-2009, 02:31 PM
IN other words, Vandy has nobody.

BergeLSU
03-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Wow, where to start.

Garrett Temple: This man I feel will forever be the most under-appreciated Tiger to ever play basketball. He is constantly criticized by LSU fans for his lack of offensive explosiveness. Even so, he contributes with about 7 points per game. He played completely out of position for two years when he was thrown into the point guard position. This year he is put at the 2 position and his A/T ration went from 1.5 to 2.0. His defensive skills are pretty well known around the SEC, but not nationally (because of LSU's horrible record the last two years). I feel he is easily one of the top pure defenders in the country. He was easily the MVP of LSU's Sweet 16 game against Duke in 2006.

Marcus Thornton: It's a shame he could only play here for two years. Everyone knows about him, so I'll just leave his at that.

Chris Johnson: The 6-11, 210 lbs (soaking wet) center that just couldn't gain weight. He is obviously a huge part of this team's success, but I feel he could be so much better.

Quentin Thornton: Another guy with a short career at LSU. Purely a role player, and he accepted this position. After having surgery last year, he returned to practice and burned his possible medical redshirt the next day. Contributes solid minutes when CJ gets in foul trouble. Also is our big body on defense when we need it.

Terry Martin: The third senior transfer LSU has, this one from Texas Tech. Proud of him and Coach Johnson this year. Rumors of him leaving the team because of lack of minutes arose. A few days later, he was suspended from the team. Now, he is another solid bench player (usually the only one who scores points). He has clearly accepted what Johnson wants him to and he appears to (now) be happy on the bench.

Djshockley3
03-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Corey Butler walked on at UGA and has earned a schlarship in his senior year, and has started every game this season. He plays his heart out every game, and will always be one of my favorites.

Terrance Woodbury has been a solid player every year since he has been at UGA. He is the leading scorer on this years team.

Rocky@theTop
03-02-2009, 08:08 PM
We have Ryan Childress who's played about 10 minutes this year. Ryan was in Bruce's first recruiting class. A serviceable 3 guy. Got hurt this past offseason. I really think he's past basketball as he has a new bride and probably wants to get on with his future.

kentubbybasketball
03-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Childress just doesn't want Candace Parker to dunk on him again. LOL

NCMISSSTFAN
03-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Wow, where to start.

Garrett Temple: This man I feel will forever be the most under-appreciated Tiger to ever play basketball. He is constantly criticized by LSU fans for his lack of offensive explosiveness. Even so, he contributes with about 7 points per game. He played completely out of position for two years when he was thrown into the point guard position. This year he is put at the 2 position and his A/T ration went from 1.5 to 2.0. His defensive skills are pretty well known around the SEC, but not nationally (because of LSU's horrible record the last two years). I feel he is easily one of the top pure defenders in the country. He was easily the MVP of LSU's Sweet 16 game against Duke in 2006.

Marcus Thornton: It's a shame he could only play here for two years. Everyone knows about him, so I'll just leave his at that.

Chris Johnson: The 6-11, 210 lbs (soaking wet) center that just couldn't gain weight. He is obviously a huge part of this team's success, but I feel he could be so much better.

Quentin Thornton: Another guy with a short career at LSU. Purely a role player, and he accepted this position. After having surgery last year, he returned to practice and burned his possible medical redshirt the next day. Contributes solid minutes when CJ gets in foul trouble. Also is our big body on defense when we need it.

Terry Martin: The third senior transfer LSU has, this one from Texas Tech. Proud of him and Coach Johnson this year. Rumors of him leaving the team because of lack of minutes arose. A few days later, he was suspended from the team. Now, he is another solid bench player (usually the only one who scores points). He has clearly accepted what Johnson wants him to and he appears to (now) be happy on the bench.

You guys have alot to replace, I didn't realize all of those guys were seniors. Trent Johnson will keep things moving though.

OffThePorch
03-03-2009, 06:22 PM
You guys have alot to replace, I didn't realize all of those guys were seniors.

plus Mitchell i hope.

hopefully we only lose BJ. dude has some talent .. but has stayed hurt a lot.

LSUTigers1404
03-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Wow, where to start.

He completely owned JJ Redick. That was a thing of beauty.

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2009, 11:34 AM
He bottled up Acie Law also to some degree.