NCAA, NIT, etc. = bs! [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : NCAA, NIT, etc. = bs!

steelyvan
03-02-2009, 01:20 PM
This is the time of year that really underscores the one, real major problem in all of college basketball: the post-season tournaments. Possibly, if you have not grown up in the states of Kentucky, Illinois (where the first promotion of "March Madness" is credited) and Indiana then you may not have an appreciation for the crowning of a true state champion at the high school level that used to occur in those states.
Currently, we don't crown a true NCAA National Champion in college basketball. Throw out the NIT and other wannabees, add another week to the NCAA tournament to accommodate two more games (th/sat & fri/sun formats) and a few (tue) play-ins so that you include all Division 1 bball programs.
I recognize this is not a novel idea but in this day and age it is more doable and the advantages completely out-weigh the negatives that will be argued.
Trust me, the reasons the existing tournament is so impressive will only be enhanced by a true, national tournament and Champion.

LSUTigers1404
03-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Let's scrap the NCAAT and implement the BCS into college hoops. That would improve things...

SkyAntoine
03-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Why doesn't the NCAA Championship provide a Champion? I thought NIT was "not in tournament."

boxvic
03-02-2009, 04:32 PM
If you make it no matter what then what is the point of the regular season?

The only change I would make to the current set up would be the swaping of a few at-large and auto bids. Give out auto bids to regular season conference champions and conference tournament champions. If all regular season champs win their tournament then things are just like they are now.

GDawg88
03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
The system is fine the way it is. Having 65 teams in the field already diminishes the regular season somewhat; letting everybody in would completely eliminate interest, as it'd become a de facto preseason for the Big Dance. Besides, if you don't prove yourself over the course of the season to be one of the 34 best at-large teams, you're not going to win the championship anyway.

If anything, get rid of the NIT and the abominable CBI. Who cares?

steelyvan
03-02-2009, 04:45 PM
the point of the regular season and conference tourneys is for bragging rights and then seeding.
Sky, every year teams get left out that deserved to be in. eliminate that selection process and the bias that occurs. nobody, especially billy packer-head, thought george mason was going anywhere and was lucky to even be in the tournament. have we excluded teams like them routinely? the first rounds would be loaded with local rivalries striving to get to the regional rivalry games and cinderellas would emerge. haven't you guys seen "Hoosiers"?

boxvic
03-02-2009, 05:01 PM
the point of the regular season and conference tourneys is for bragging rights and then seeding.
Sky, every year teams get left out that deserved to be in. eliminate that selection process and the bias that occurs. nobody, especially billy packer-head, thought george mason was going anywhere and was lucky to even be in the tournament. have we excluded teams like them routinely? the first rounds would be loaded with local rivalries striving to get to the regional rivalry games and cinderellas would emerge. haven't you guys seen "Hoosiers"?

Yeah and that tournament in Hoosiers is done the exact way Kentucky still does it. Everyone is fighting for the same title. You have district then regional tournaments which lead to the state finals. That is pretty much the was the current NCAA tournament works except the conference tournies play the role of regionals.

I agree that there should be more mid-major teams in the tournament over bad major conference teams. But the way to fix that is to change the way the bids are given out, not to simply hand out even more bids.

orange&white
03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
The conference tournaments give everyone a chance to win a national title.

steelyvan
03-02-2009, 05:57 PM
a lot of deserving, regular season conference champs lose in their conference tourneys and don't make the NCAA's. if you want a national champ, make it a national tournament within the framework of a season ending event.

orange&white
03-02-2009, 05:58 PM
a lot of deserving, regular season conference champs lose in their conference tourneys and don't make the NCAA's. if you want a national champ, make it a national tournament within the framework of a season ending event.

They shouldn't lose in their conference tourney then.

bballpro408
03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
This is poop.

boxvic
03-02-2009, 06:24 PM

Which is where my suggestion to make regular season champs and conference tournament champs both get an automatic bid comes in.

Geaux 58 03 07
03-02-2009, 08:09 PM
This is a great thread

FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!
http://download.wbr.com/tsn/triumph/triumph_tn.gif

georgiaguy31015
03-02-2009, 08:13 PM
The system is fine the way it is. Having 65 teams in the field already diminishes the regular season somewhat; letting everybody in would completely eliminate interest, as it'd become a de facto preseason for the Big Dance. Besides, if you don't prove yourself over the course of the season to be one of the 34 best at-large teams, you're not going to win the championship anyway.

If anything, get rid of the NIT and the abominable CBI. Who cares?

Very very well said and I couldn't agree more.

socalwildcat
03-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Let's scrap the NCAAT and implement the BCS into college hoops. That would improve things...

I actually agree with that. The field is way to large. Take the top 32 teams.