Vols @ Cocks [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Vols @ Cocks

Tennessee
03-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Huge game Thursday night...Barring some funky stuff, this one's for the East...As I told y'all at the beginning of they year, SC would be playing for the East title in the last week of the season :sarcasm:

I don't put much stock in SC's loss to Vandy...Major trap game and they got ambushed

The Vols seem to be peaking at the right time, but is it real? We beat a MSU team who is going the wrong way, and we beat Florida, who is a quality win, but we've had their number, so how much stock goes into it?

Who you got?

MSUado
03-01-2009, 04:18 PM
I've got the gamecocks because of the home court advantage.

fodive
03-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Cocks barely pull out in time to make a mess...

Homecourt will solve it, I think.

BleedBlue7
03-01-2009, 05:11 PM
South Carolina will win by 12

msudawg4life
03-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I got the Vols...the cocks couldn't take care of a struggling MSU team on the same court....

gmecockrugby
03-01-2009, 05:30 PM
false we didnt play msu at home we played them away.... we havent lost a home sec game this year FYI

msudawg4life
03-01-2009, 05:36 PM
my bad my bad...you are correct....I was working that night so to me it was away...lol...it is last year I am thinking of....

ok I change.....Got the Cocks in this one...

Djshockley3
03-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Cocks by 8.

bleedorange1983
03-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Vols win by 5 if we stay hot shooting 3 balls.

LSUTigers1404
03-02-2009, 12:05 AM
The Cocks will rise to the occasion.

cock15
03-02-2009, 12:08 AM
da cocks win by 11

ConwayGamecock
03-02-2009, 01:36 PM
If we can keep our big men of Holmes, Muldrow, and Archie out of early foul trouble, and start the game with some degree of effort, IMO we can be in this game. Our big men are going to have to play some interior defense, and they usually struggle with this against teams with interior depth. We fell down to as much as 19 points to UT in Knoxville, but dominated the 2nd half, to fall just short by 3 points at the end.

The CLA will be electric again, in our last home game of the season, and we'll be the premier game for ESPN with Brent and Bobby there, so that should be enough to wake up our team. We'll see.......

kentubbybasketball
03-02-2009, 01:45 PM
I think it's evident that UT has the better talent in terms of guys 1-7 or 8. However, UT has had a maddening season like everybody in the SEC East... except for USC.

I think USC matches up with UT well though and vice versa. Normally, a guy like Dominque Archie has been a matchup nightmare for the rest of the league, but UT can stick JP Prince on him and really not have the headache that other teams would have.

I also think USC wants to run, but UT can too... so I think it's matter of who imposes their will on the other.

I still think UT hasn't reached their potential, and I just find it hard to believe that Pearl keeps that from happening. He's gonna find the right button to push. He has finished first or second every year in every conference he's been in, except for year 1 at Milwaukee, so he's a great coach.

GoBigO
03-03-2009, 09:16 AM
I've got the gamecocks because of the home court advantage.

Same here. However, Tennessee proved Sunday that they can win a big game on the road.

Right now at this point in the season, anything is possible.

UA37
03-03-2009, 09:43 AM
going with the home team

#1GamecockFan
03-03-2009, 11:21 AM
I think the Gamecocks win by 10+. I was at the Vandy game on Saturday night and could see the ambush coming from a mile away. I was not surprised at all to see that happen. I don't put much into that loss though. It was a loss, but we still control our own destiny. LSU and South Carolina are the only two teams in the SEC to remain undefeated at home this season. So I have to go with the Gamecocks!

ConwayGamecock
03-03-2009, 11:52 AM
We are well on our way to having another "projected" sell-out, or close to it, for our game against the Vols. Available tickets were under 2,000 yesterday, and selling fast. Although, we were supposed to have a sell-out against UK, but the announced attendance was just over 16K. I guess the tickets sold, but many chose not to attend???? This game will be a mid-week game as well, but the UK game was a Raycom game, and this one will be the premier game for ESPN, so we'll see how many show up.

Also, the UK game was a barn-raiser that had Gamecock Nation buzzing, and this week's game is our last home game of the season, so those factors could also lead to a true sell-out game for us.....

bleedorange1983
03-05-2009, 10:05 AM
I think this will be a great game, both teams playing for the SECEast title and a bye in the SECT. Both are locks for the tourney IMO, so there is not alot to lose but alot to gain.

SECgamecock453
03-05-2009, 10:08 AM
People keep saying we're a lock for the tourney, but I don't think so yet...

bleedorange1983
03-05-2009, 10:20 AM
People keep saying we're a lock for the tourney, but I don't think so yet...

One bad loss to Charleston and you guys won every game but one at home. Add 20+ wins to that and I think that gets you in, but I could be wrong.

Orangetd88
03-05-2009, 01:54 PM
I know UT game win this game, however who knows which team will show.

Throw in the fact that UT doesn't generally play that well in Columbia and Downey, and you likely have yourself a SoCar win.

I hope they prove me wrong, however.

Tennessee
03-05-2009, 02:18 PM
It was either the SC game in Columbia last year or the year prior to that that was the worst I had EVER seen a BP team play...It was uninspired and just plain bad...Hope we do better tonight

bleedorange1983
03-05-2009, 02:39 PM
We are notoriously bad at the end of the year including the SECT and NCAAT, hopefully we can just find some inspiration and play a damn good game tonight. Tabb is going to have to stick on Downey all night and we will have to hit the boards hard. With that said I think we can score enough to hang in there and pull out a win.

bleedorange1983
03-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Damn good game and win for our Vols tonight. Dominated the boards and shut down Downey in the second half. Our RPI should jump a little as well.

ConwayGamecock
03-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Congrats to the Vols. We were not ready for this game, and didn't play transition defense all game long. Our big men are not capable of playing against size, strength, and athleticism. And to be truthful, we were out-coached tonight, as well. Hope we don't see you in the SECT......

Tennessee
03-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Vol fans, let me apologize in advance for saying this bc now that I've said this, we will lose to Bama, on Friday in the SECT, and in the 1st round of the NCAAT, but...

This is the first BP team that is clearly playing their best ball at the end of the season...Last year, we hit our peak at Memphis St, three years ago, we hit it near the end of the SEC season (more because we were worn out than anything else, but...)

If this team continues this type of play, we have potential in both tourneys...Everybody on the team has stepped it up a notch (or in most cases, more than one notch)...I realize b-ball is a game of matchups, but the difference in this team and BP's other team is we do not live and die with the outside shot, so if we are off, we can win in other ways...I am excited

Gamecock fans, don't get your head down...You have had a great season, and tonight just ran into a team who is red hot...Guard play rules in post-season play, and y'all have that, so you have the chance to do some damage...Good luck :cheers:

bleedorange1983
03-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Congrats to the Vols. We were not ready for this game, and didn't play transition defense all game long. Our big men are not capable of playing against size, strength, and athleticism. And to be truthful, we were out-coached tonight, as well. Hope we don't see you in the SECT......

For what it's worth, I still think you guys are a NCAAT team. And with your guard play, you would probably make it further than we would.

Tonight UT played up to their ability and we haven't seen that most of the year.

bleedorange1983
03-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Vol fans, let me apologize in advance for saying this bc now that I've said this, we will lose to Bama, on Friday in the SECT, and in the 1st round of the NCAAT, but...

This is the first BP team that is clearly playing their best ball at the end of the season...Last year, we hit our peak at Memphis St, three years ago, we hit it near the end of the SEC season (more because we were worn out than anything else, but...)

If this team continues this type of play, we have potential in both tourneys...Everybody on the team has stepped it up a notch (or in most cases, more than one notch)...I realize b-ball is a game of matchups, but the difference in this team and BP's other team is we do not live and die with the outside shot, so if we are off, we can win in other ways...I am excited

Gamecock fans, don't get your head down...You have had a great season, and tonight just ran into a team who is red hot...Guard play rules in post-season play, and y'all have that, so you have the chance to do some damage...Good luck :cheers:

Absolute blasphemy and I do not believe a word that you say. We will slaughter the Criminal Tide, win at least the first game in the SECT, and win at least two in the NCAAT.

Orangetd88
03-05-2009, 09:13 PM
All I gotta say is WOW. Didn't see that one coming at all. Really played lights out tonight and didn't let the adversity bother us, which had been a problem on the road previously. Great win tonight.

bleedorange1983
03-05-2009, 09:25 PM
All I gotta say is WOW. Didn't see that one coming at all. Really played lights out tonight and didn't let the adversity bother us, which had been a problem on the road previously. Great win tonight.

Our play actually carried over from the UF game, maturity might be setting in right on time for this team. We'll see.

Orangetd88
03-05-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm not counting on anything. I will just enjoy it while it lasts.

ConwayGamecock
03-05-2009, 09:39 PM
For what it's worth, I still think you guys are a NCAAT team. And with your guard play, you would probably make it further than we would.

Tonight UT played up to their ability and we haven't seen that most of the year.

I think the way our big men have played defensively against LSU, against UF in their house (all the baseline drives un-touched), against Vandy at the Memorial, and tonight just speaks volumes on how poorly we match up against teams with an imposing, aggressive and big lineup. Also, UT did the best job of any team this season in shutting down Downey in the 2nd half.....

y'all played a great gameplan against us tonight..congrats! http://www.pic4ever.com/images/shame.gif

Orangetd88
03-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Chism really got into your big men's head tonight. Yall had some nice blocked shots but other than that we dominated the paint. 50 something points in the paint tonight.

bleedorange1983
03-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Chism really got into your big men's head tonight. Yall had some nice blocked shots but other than that we dominated the paint. 50 something points in the paint tonight.

The guy that was guarding Chism was flopping like a fish out of water.

USC90
03-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Good game Vols ... we either just caught two teams who are peaking, or our helping interior defense was really exposed. Not to mix threads, but it's kind of amazing that Coach G couldn't make adjustments so that the Cats were more effective against us.

Not to take anything away from the Vols. Wonderful interior passing and transition work last night.

Tennessee
03-06-2009, 06:20 AM
And, I don't say this often, but I actually liked the officiating last night...They let the guys play and let some of the banging go on, which I like

I dont think either coach liked it during hte game, and I thought for sure Bruce was going to get a technical at one point, LOL, but I thought the refs let them play and I like that kind of bball

GoBigO
03-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Congrats on a great season, Cocks. I'm certain you are tourney bound. :cheers:

As for us, I am so proud of the way we played last night. Seems like we are finally learning and accepting our roles on the court. Next up, Bammer!