How Kentucky can still WIN the SEC East [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : How Kentucky can still WIN the SEC East

weegeman
03-01-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm putting this in the general basketball forum so more people will chime in. Feel free to post how you think the remaining games will pan out.

I know this may sound crazy, and is unlikely, but it's not out of the question.
This is my scenario for Kentucky not only making the NCAAT but also winning the SEC East.

If Florida beats Tenn. today that would put Forida at 9-5 and drop Tenn to 8-6. It would also put Tennessee on the ropes and IMO, actually increase the chances of Tenn. winning at So. Carolina. If Tenn. won at So. Carolina that would make Tenn. 9-6 and would drop So. Carolina to 9-6. You would assume Kentucky would beat Georgia at home which would bring UK to 9-6.
Florida still has to play at Miss St. which is a toss up, imo. So going into the final regular season game Florida (under these scenarios) would be either 10-5or 9-6.

I would think Tenn would beat Alabama at home which would put Tenn. at 10-6. So. Carolina's last game is on the road at Georgia. If, and it's a big if, but IF Georgia could knock them off So. Carolina would finish at 9-7.
That leaves the giant swing game of UK @ Florida. If Kentucky won that game UK would finish at 10-6 and would have the tie breaker over Florida and Tenn. Kentucky would win the East.

In summary, the following upsets would have to occur: Tenn wins at So. Car., So. Car. loses @ Georgia, Uk wins @ Florida.

(Tenn. could ruin the scenario if they beat Florida today.)

If all those things happen and UK wins the East I will change my screen name to Nostra-Weegus. :pirate:

SkyAntoine
03-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Stranger things have happened...afterall AJ Stewart is off the team one day yet manages to be in the game during the most critical possessions versus LSU. Not saying he lost the game for us, but I don't put anything out of reach for this team.

As far as UGA beating USC...that's a stretch.

MSUado
03-01-2009, 09:51 AM
The bottom line is that I don't see Kentucky winning at Florida. You guys are far from out of the tournament though. Good luck.

SkyAntoine
03-01-2009, 10:02 AM
The bottom line is that I don't see Kentucky winning at Florida. You guys are far from out of the tournament though. Good luck.
Oh yeah...and then there is that little detail.

Tennessee
03-01-2009, 11:15 AM
SC ain't losing to UGA and they probably aint losin' to Tennessee

But, if all that happens, yes, you should change your name LOL

LSUTigers1404
03-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Tennessee up by 10 atm.

SkyAntoine
03-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I just can't force myself to pull for Donovan.

BleedBlue7
03-01-2009, 03:33 PM
I just can't force myself to pull for Donovan.

I'll pull for UF anyday of the week over UT.

Herchel
03-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Weege, football season is only 6 months away.

fodive
03-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Weege, football season is only 6 months away.

They still lose to SC, UT, and UF then. Only you have to toss your boys into the mix too.

weegeman
03-01-2009, 04:34 PM
We can still pull it off. Now Tenn needs to beat SC and lose to Alabama.

so you're tellin' me there's a chance...

Tennessee
03-01-2009, 05:11 PM
so you're tellin' me there's a chance...

You sold my dead bird to a blind kid??? :raz:

cock15
03-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Its S.Car or Tenn. I got my money on S.Car. With a win vs Tenn we lock the SEC East. After that game we have UGA, and I like our chances against them and Tenn. We lost to Vandy, we are going to come out ready to win. Coach Horn will have the guys ready.

kentubbybasketball
03-02-2009, 12:42 PM
weege, you're right, we're only one loss back of the East lead. Say we win out, we still have to rely on USC losing its last two games to technically have the tiebreaker over them. We'd already have a tiebreaker over USC and UT though.

At this point, whoever gets that second seed is gonna end up being on the same half of the bracket of LSU, and while I'm confident we coudl beat them after the game on Saturday, that's much tougher to do.

weegeman
03-02-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm going to the SEC Tourney so the seeding is a huge deal to me. When we booked our flights we were 5-0 and I couldn't imagine us not getting a first round bye. Now, if we finish 3rd or 4th we'll be playing Thursday. If we finish 4th I won't be able to make the game at all because the game will start before my flight lands. If Florida loses @ Miss. St. we'll be at least a 3 seed so I'll at least be able to watch a game. Getting the 1 or two would be really nice though! It doesn't matter to me what half of the bracket we are in. All these SEC teams are about equal imo. We could lose to any of them and we could beat any of them.

kentubbybasketball
03-02-2009, 02:34 PM
weege, you're up on it more than me this year, but if Florida loses at Mississippi State we'll be at least a 3 seed... I didn't realize that. I think at Mississippi State could be a loss for them if MSU is shooting like they normally do.

About that 5-0 start. This year's team is the first in UK history to start 5-0 in the SEC and not go on to win the conference... the only weird thing about this year is that we did indeed start 5-0, but LSU was sitting at 4-1, so there was no breathing room.