How many wins do you need for the NIT? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : How many wins do you need for the NIT?

VanderbiltPride
02-28-2009, 01:16 PM
I doubt we will win the SECT, so I would love for our young squad to get some sort of post season experience. Also, ESPN picks up lots of these games so it would great to have more TV games.

Djshockley3
02-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Probly 18.

GDawg88
02-28-2009, 01:48 PM
You just have to be at least 1 game over .500.

Thunder Gulch
02-28-2009, 08:37 PM
After this week it looks as if the NIT will have more SEC teams than day 2 of the SEC tournament.

msudawg4life
02-28-2009, 11:29 PM
a few games over .500 and the ability to draw some people to the games.....the NIT is all about $$$...if a team can draw in a crowd...they will make it.

kentubbybasketball
03-02-2009, 12:49 PM
You just have to be at least 1 game over .500.

What he said. They even take teams with sub .500 conference records if they are from a BCS league. What hurts this year and last though is that they knocked the bids down to 32 from the 40 it was just two years ago. Also, reg. season conference champs that don't make the NCAAT get automatic bids, so it's not a magic number of wins you must get to ... it's a combination of all those factors.

The CBI is another postseason tourney though, and they added a 4th postseason tourney this year.

Vandy420
03-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Vandy will easily be a lock for the NIT or any other tourney not named the big dance.

Djshockley3
03-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Why reward teams with 13-14 wins? The NCAA and NIT should be the only postseason tournaments, imo.

Fatboy
03-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Why reward teams with 13-14 wins? The NCAA and NIT should be the only postseason tournaments, imo.

Because there is money to be made.

kentubbybasketball
03-02-2009, 02:31 PM

Because of the money, but also nobody wants their season to end I guess. Eventually everybody's gonna be in some sort of postseason play.

Vandy420
03-02-2009, 03:33 PM
I agree the NIT is even borderline. I say have the big dance an thats it.

kentubbybasketball
03-02-2009, 03:42 PM
No the NIT should stay. There's too much history and tradition to just cancel it. It was the Big Dance at one point.

Vandy420
03-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Yea it was around before the big dance, but now it is just an after thought. If anything it should be the only extra tourney.

kentubbybasketball
03-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Well, I agree there... but I think it should be there still. Only 65 teams make to it the big dance... there should still be a little dance. Even if UK doesn't make the NCAAT, it's nice to know we have something like the NIT to fall back on. Not to mention we're 2 time NIT champs.

Having the CBI last year was stupid, especially the format where the championship round is actually a championship series, best of 3 games format. Now, there's a new one, a fourth one, this year. Overkill! We might as well expand the NCAAT before we go about having 2 meaningless tourneys.

GoDores
03-02-2009, 07:43 PM
All these other smaller post season tournaments are only taking away from the NIT. The NCAA Tourney is the grandaddy of em all, and the NIT has enough history to be significant. There is value to be had and Vandy is a perfect example of that. Vandy being a rediculously young team would get some valuable post-season experience plus extra practice time and some possible national TV time.

Now I know some teams like 66th and 67th teams left out of the dance are going to be bummed to play in the NIT being so close to the NCAA, and theres just nothing you can do about that. The NIT also gives the mid-majors a shot at the big boys and rewards them for a good year.

For example, Im excited about Vandy being in the NIT. (still hoping they win 4 in the SECT too) (granted bummed they could earn an NCAA spot) But last year, I would have been disappointed by an NIT bid. I think these Vandy kids will go out and play hard in the NIT too. Hopefully they can make it to NY. *****

*****My #1 goal is for us to win the SECT however, so we can get our bid.