Tennessee at Florida game thread [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee at Florida game thread

GoBigO
02-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Sunday 2pm eastern on CBS.

This one could get interesting...The Vols 89-86 win last year on March 5, 2008, marks the last time a Florida opponent left the O-Dome with a win. Both are 8-5 in league play and the winner will still have a slim chance at winning the East. The loser, not so much.

Thoughts?

shanksta13
02-28-2009, 10:51 AM
If Tennessee can keep it within five with two or three minutes left in the game, they'll probably win. Anything more than that and we can hang on at home. I hate that our team can't win close games, but that's the reality.

Tennessee
02-28-2009, 11:35 AM
SC has all but got the East wrapped up, as two of their last three games are v Vandy and UGA, so this game is moreso for a chance to get the 1st round bye in the SECT

At some point (you'd think) one or both of these teams have to start responding to their coaches...UF has been going through it for two years not, UT for one, with neither team responding, and with coaches the calibur of Donovan and Pearl, that has to be driving them nuts...Hope it's UT that responds first, and Sunday at 2PM would be a great time to start :cheers:

Herchel
02-28-2009, 11:40 AM
I want to know which UT fan removed "Final 4, book it" from his sig. :)

Tennessee
02-28-2009, 11:53 AM
I want to know which UT fan removed "Final 4, book it" from his sig. :)

It's in bleedorange's sig and it's still there...

Herchel
02-28-2009, 11:56 AM
It's in bleedorange's sig and it's still there...

Haven't seen it lately.

AlaGator
02-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Tennessee is a good team. Florida is a good team. I just hope the Gators can come out hot and keep it up. Finish the 2nd half with intensity and I say it is a Gators win.

Tennessee
02-28-2009, 10:00 PM
With the KY already losing today and SC on the verge of losing, the UT/UF game is huge...A big opportunity for both teams to step up and take advantage...

We had the same opportunity against Ole Miss last Wednesday and layed an egg...Will history repeat itself???

swampmonster
02-28-2009, 11:06 PM
I don't like Donovan's record versus Pearl.

I'm sure it has to be eating at him, as well.

This is as good a time as any, to break the choke hold.

Let's go Billy the kid!

I like UF at home, in this one.

GatorFan
03-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Time for some payback!

Go Gators!

Tennessee
03-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Off we go...Teams running up and down the floor the 1st three minutes

Gators out to an early 7-5 lead

g8rphish
03-01-2009, 01:15 PM
We honestly don't deserve an NCAA Tourney bid this year...but winning this one MIGHT help us squeeze in. Go Gators! Looking good in the paint so far -- which is huge.

Tennessee
03-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Vols have opened up a 10-pt lead...Tyler leading the way so far

g8rphish
03-01-2009, 01:26 PM
all right, if you guys need me i'll be in the football forum until next season :rotf:

Tennessee
03-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Nice adjustment by Billy D going to the 2-3 out of that last TO

Gators outhustling on the board right now and their shots are starting to fall :banghead:

Tennessee
03-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Good first half by the Vols withstanding that Gator comeback

Now, can we do it again, bc the Gators will come out firing in the 2nd half...No doubt in my mind that lead will be cut, but can we hold it off???

Herchel
03-01-2009, 02:31 PM
This is just the warm up act. The Clash of the Titans begins in 30 minutes.

Tennessee
03-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Florida's going to start testing our FT shooting ability soon

uh-oh

Tennessee
03-01-2009, 02:49 PM
WTF was Scotty just thinking leaving his man to guard Warner on the point?????? That three just made it 69-62, and that's the type of bone-headed play that allows a team to make a run :banghead:

C'mon Vols :cheers:

LSUTigers1404
03-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Florida is hitting some big 3's.

LSUTigers1404
03-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Wow, that was a terrible shot.

sabanocchio
03-01-2009, 03:02 PM
We haven't been able to protect a lead all season.

GDawg88
03-01-2009, 03:03 PM
I got this sh!t!

http://pbrown16.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/bruce_pearl1.jpg

SkyAntoine
03-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Vols should have this one now. I know Weege said UF needed to win today, but I think UT winning helps UK more on selection Sunday.

LSUTigers1404
03-01-2009, 03:08 PM
This makes the Tennessee/South Carolina game that much bigger.

gatorchomp91
03-01-2009, 03:14 PM
UT owns us.

Orangetd88
03-01-2009, 03:15 PM
UT owns us.

:cheers:

g8rphish
03-01-2009, 03:18 PM
this team plays too sloppy...if speights had stuck around, we'd be a potential sweet 16 team with him and calathes and a bunch of role players, but nick can't do it all himself.

sabanocchio
03-01-2009, 03:18 PM
It's so nice that we can suck and still OWN Florida.

GatorFan
03-01-2009, 03:30 PM
This Florida basketball team is just awful. Parsons fouling that guy when the game was within 3 pts (I think), was just inexcusable.

Tennessee
03-01-2009, 04:06 PM
UT owns us.

Isn't that odd how that happens...College b-ball is such a game of matchups...I don't think Bruce is any better (if at all) coach that Billy D, but he just has his number...Same with Bruce and Gillespie right now...I don't think Billy G is much, if at all better than Bruce, but they have our number bad right now

Good luck the rest of the season...Hope y'all win out and make the tourney :cheers:

Tennessee
03-01-2009, 04:08 PM
This makes the Tennessee/South Carolina game that much bigger.

Yep....Winner of that game, in all likelhood, wins the East

gatorbait08
03-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Isn't that odd how that happens...College b-ball is such a game of matchups...I don't think Bruce is any better (if at all) coach that Billy D, but he just has his number...Same with Bruce and Gillespie right now...I don't think Billy G is much, if at all better than Bruce, but they have our number bad right now

Good luck the rest of the season...Hope y'all win out and make the tourney :cheers:

Thanks, classy post.

To me, it just seems like the classic battle of athleticism vs. skill, and UT has the athletes and UF has the skill... not to say UT has no skill at all and Florida has no athletes at all, but you know what I mean. Take Calathes, for example... as far as pure skill goes, he's one of the best players in college basketball right now. Although I love the guy to death, but he's just not an athlete -- he's slow, not that great of a defender, "can't jump over a newspaper" (to borrow Chandler Parsons' term), etc. Same thing with Parsons and Werner, and to a certain degree Hodge. UT is chock full of athletes that can jump out of the gym and hustle every play. Tyler Smith is decent as far as pure skill goes, but he's a hell of an athlete.

Pearl has found a bunch of athletes that can trump Florida's skill guys any day of the week... he just fields teams that are a match-up nightmare for Florida. Pearl and Donovan are both good coaches, but Pearl has found a set of guys (year-in and year-out, it seems) that make Billy D. want to pull his hair out.

GatorFan
03-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Congrats Tennessee!

AlaGator
03-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Congrats, Vols! You played a good game, took charge of the court and held on to win!

georgiaguy31015
03-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Congrats on the win UT.

bleedorange1983
03-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks, classy post.

To me, it just seems like the classic battle of athleticism vs. skill, and UT has the athletes and UF has the skill... not to say UT has no skill at all and Florida has no athletes at all, but you know what I mean. Take Calathes, for example... as far as pure skill goes, he's one of the best players in college basketball right now. Although I love the guy to death, but he's just not an athlete -- he's slow, not that great of a defender, "can't jump over a newspaper" (to borrow Chandler Parsons' term), etc. Same thing with Parsons and Werner, and to a certain degree Hodge. UT is chock full of athletes that can jump out of the gym and hustle every play. Tyler Smith is decent as far as pure skill goes, but he's a hell of an athlete.

Pearl has found a bunch of athletes that can trump Florida's skill guys any day of the week... he just fields teams that are a match-up nightmare for Florida. Pearl and Donovan are both good coaches, but Pearl has found a set of guys (year-in and year-out, it seems) that make Billy D. want to pull his hair out.

Agree with all. :cheers:

thagodfather
03-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks, classy post.

translation: ut owns florida

gatorbait08
03-02-2009, 01:23 AM
translation: ut owns florida

Since Pearl has been at UT, it can't be denied.

Yet in the same period of time, Billy D has two national titles while Pearl has a couple of sweet-sixteen losses, a second-round loss to Wichita State, and a few sweaty blazers.

Orangetd88
03-02-2009, 11:29 AM

Yet in the same period of time, Billy D has two national titles while Pearl has a couple of sweet-sixteen losses, a second-round loss to Wichita State, and a few sweaty blazers.

Billy D also hasn't been back to the tourney since.

orange&white
03-02-2009, 11:36 AM

No way to know for sure but if you keep putting teams in the tourney every year eventually you are going to make a run. I think Bruce will get to the Final Four in the next 5 or 6 years, I doubt he will get a national title though much less two.

gatorbait08
03-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Billy D also hasn't been back to the tourney since.

True, but last year he lost 7 players from that title team, something like 95% of scoring, rebounding, etc. We were depending on a lot of freshmen and inexperienced players. In most Florida fans' minds, that was excusable.

If we don't make the big show this year, that's inexcusable.

gatorbait08
03-02-2009, 11:44 AM
No way to know for sure but if you keep putting teams in the tourney every year eventually you are going to make a run. I think Bruce will get to the Final Four in the next 5 or 6 years, I doubt he will get a national title though much less two.

Probably true. Not doubting Billy's talent as a coach, but he found a perfect match of players that were willing to share the ball, play as a team, and that complemented one another perfectly. And they happened to stick around for another year after winning one.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pearl in a Final Four in a few years.

Orangetd88
03-02-2009, 11:45 AM
True, but last year he lost 7 players from that title team, something like 95% of scoring, rebounding, etc. We were depending on a lot of freshmen and inexperienced players. In most Florida fans' minds, that was excusable.

If we don't make the big show this year, that's inexcusable.

IMO, the ONLY reason you won't go back this year is that SOS. You have a good record at 21-8, will probably finish out with 10 losses and a couple more wins. But you scheduled ridiculously weak ooc competition again this year.

That SOS is gonna keep you out, IMO.

gatorbait08
03-02-2009, 11:50 AM
IMO, the ONLY reason you won't go back this year is that SOS. You have a good record at 21-8, will probably finish out with 10 losses and a couple more wins. But you scheduled ridiculously weak ooc competition again this year.

That SOS is gonna keep you out, IMO.

I don't know why Billy (or whoever) was so insistent on scheduling a weak OOC again this year, because like you said it will probably keep us out once again. We have a win over a so-so ACC team in NC State and then a good win against Pac-10 leading Washington, and then losses against Syracuse and F$U.

Our weak OOC as well as fading down the stretch late in the season will keep us out. IF (and that's a big if) we can win out in the next two regular season games and then win a couple in the SECT, we might be able to sneak in.

swampmonster
03-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Well, the Pearl monkey on Donovan's back is turning into a gorilla. :sad2:

Congrats UT.

Rocky@theTop
03-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Well, the Pearl monkey on Donovan's back is turning into a gorilla. :sad2:

Congrats UT.

In related news... Pearl kind of looks like a gorilla.

http://blog.markwill.com/images/orig_silverback_gorilla_sm_blog.jpg
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/64/644317.jpg

GoBigO
03-03-2009, 09:14 AM
:lol:

He's even beginning to lose the tie lately. The solid color shirt under the jacket is quite becoming. LOL