Mississippi State @ Tennessee [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi State @ Tennessee

Tennessee
02-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Maybe a game that decides who gets the last SEC spot in the Big Dance...

Guard play has killed us this year, and with MSU running 4 of them, if they get hot from 3, we're gonna be in trouble

4 hours til tip :cheers:

orange&white
02-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Big game for the Vols NCAA chances. State is likely NIT bound, but with 4 games left and the SECT you never know. UT biggest defensive problem has been perimeter defense which doesn't bode well against a 4 guard lineup that leads the SEC is 3's. Can't believe the Vols are favored by almost double digits.

MSU124
02-25-2009, 05:55 PM
State has been terrible as of lately. I would be surprised to win.

kentubbybasketball
02-25-2009, 06:01 PM
UT is quietly imploding and it's gonna be not so quietly if they drop a third straight game here. Reading some local writers some suggested the loss to Auburn and the subsequent UK loss are the lowpoints of the Pearl era.

I'm not sure if a UT loss really helps UK as much as a UT win, since we swept UT and are banking on that to get us in the NCAAT field, so I don't know who I "want" to win this one.

OffThePorch
02-25-2009, 07:02 PM
i think UT wins by 15. hope im wrong.

MSUado
02-25-2009, 07:04 PM
State has been terrible as of lately. I would be surprised to win.

Agreed. Poor shot selection and poor shooting have plagued us lately. This should be a blow out.

bleedorange1983
02-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Agreed. Poor shot selection and poor shooting have plagued us lately. This should be a blow out.

:rotf: Yall obviously haven't seen the last two UT performances. If MSU is slumping like you guys are saying, this game will be ugly to watch, for both sides.

NCMISSSTFAN
02-25-2009, 07:46 PM
If we were at home I would say we would win this one, but UT has there back against the wall and HAVE to win this game to keep there tourney hopes alive, I think UT wins.

bleedorange1983
02-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Did Raycom drop this game?, because I am not getting it.

Tennessee
02-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Did Raycom drop this game?, because I am not getting it.

9PM (It's on WVLT in Knoxville, which is one of two stations that carries Raycom, so I'm assuming it's Raycom bc I don't think CBS is picking up UT/MSU at 9PM LOL)

bleedorange1983
02-25-2009, 08:54 PM
9PM (It's on WVLT in Knoxville, which is one of two stations that carries Raycom, so I'm assuming it's Raycom bc I don't think CBS is picking up UT/MSU at 9PM LOL)

Yeah it did not show up on my Guide. Thanks.

Tennessee
02-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Up and Down game so far...Vanardo already with 2 blocks

10-9 MSU

bleedorange1983
02-25-2009, 09:41 PM
I get to watch 90210 instead of the game, don't know why I can't get it in Memphis.

Tennessee
02-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Game slowed down to a snail's pace after the early 10-9 start, then picked back up at the very end...31-28 Vols at half

Dawg
02-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Tennessee with a comfortable lead throughout the first half of the second half...

Tennessee
02-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Tennessee with a comfortable lead throughout the first half of the second half...

I think you and I differ on our definitions of "comfortable" LOL

MSUado
02-25-2009, 10:48 PM
We are terrible I'm really sick of watching us play.

MSUado
02-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Tennessee is shooting wide open three after wide open three. Disgusting defense in this game.

MSUado
02-25-2009, 10:55 PM
We have the most ineffectual press in bball history. Is there a Bruce Pearl school of pressing that Stansbury can attend.

Refs are killing us.

Dawg
02-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Apparently MSU has given up on the boards, and decided to turn the ball over 50 million times. Tennessee has decided to hit everything they hoist up. Dam.

MSUado
02-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Apparently MSU has given up on the boards, and decided to turn the ball over 50 million times. Tennessee has decided to hit everything they hoist up. Dam.

I'm over it. We suck.

msudawgs1964
02-25-2009, 11:02 PM
we played basketball tonight? I guess only a glutton for punishment would have known that..

MSUado
02-25-2009, 11:08 PM
we played basketball tonight? I guess only a glutton for punishment would have known that..

Good call. It was miserable to watch we played terrible. I was surprised by the USC win but my prediction holds true that LSU's win would cause us to drop the remainder of our meaningful games.

OffThePorch
02-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Congrats UT! closer game than i was expecting.

leland5
02-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Good Tennessee win. Mississippi State kept playing.

MSU124
02-26-2009, 12:53 AM
When is basketball gonna be over? Sick of it

msudawgs1964
02-26-2009, 01:02 AM

ended for me last Friday night..PING!!

orange&white
02-26-2009, 01:47 AM

I hate when this site adds fans that are as pessimistic as you. From your first few posts I can tell you are such a b!tchy fan that any smart, knowledgable fan wants to stay away from.

XPS
02-26-2009, 04:53 AM
I believe Tenn is in the big dance even if they lose the rest, Ga got in with 16 or 17 wins because of there strength of schedule a few years back..

XPS
02-26-2009, 04:55 AM
I'm over it. We suck.

Tenn's back was against the wall, plus they have lots of talent and it seems State played them very close till the end...

bleedorange1983
02-26-2009, 07:17 AM
I believe Tenn is in the big dance even if they lose the rest, Ga got in with 16 or 17 wins because of there strength of schedule a few years back..

We are still in the top 25 in RPI and if we win atleast two out of the last three we will definitely be in. Damn Ole Miss and Auburn losses hurt us.

msudawg4life
02-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Good Tennessee win. Mississippi State kept playing.

yup...I noticed that...till the very last tick...can't say the same about the State Fans though.

Gratz on the win UT

msudawgs1964
02-26-2009, 08:59 AM
yup...I noticed that...till the very last tick...can't say the same about the State Fans though.

Gratz on the win UT

I quit following basketball for the most part when baseball starts but to be honest with you, I always have. I looked at the box score but that's about it. You have your sport, I have mine. You just keep on drinking the koolaid and enjoy.

msudawgs1964
02-26-2009, 09:07 AM
I hate when this site adds fans that are as pessimistic as you. From your first few posts I can tell you are such a b!tchy fan that any smart, knowledgable fan wants to stay away from.

why would you say that? Like me, he may be pessimistic but what has State basketball done lately to make us optimistic? What makes his negative view any different than some State fans who are so blinded by maroon and white they could not see their nose to spite their face and everything is "played good, ahead of schedule", which is ********. Step into our shoes and I doubt you would be Sunny Sunshine about everything. It's called being realistic and some of us are tired of underachieving, though we were picked 4th in the West so I guess we should just be thankful that Stansbury has his team fighting to 2nd in the West..whoo hoo. This is still a NIT team, at best and has one, and only one way to win. Take that out and what do you have?

Sorry man, I think that having an opposing viewpoint of our fellow State fans sometimes is a good thing.

OffThePorch
02-26-2009, 09:14 AM

agreed. we have a few of them.
we were picked to finish last or next to last & we'll do better than that. Bost has turned out to a star in the making. hopefully we win a few more games & make the NIT.... i think it would be a good experience.
next year looks really good. go DOGS!

congrats again UT & good luck!

NCMISSSTFAN
02-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Good win UT, as mad as I am that we lost I knew it would happen and am suprised the game was somewhat close. We have alot of youth on this team and I know it sounds like an excuse, but its the truth. We have had a descent season up to this point (considering youth) and should be a very solid team next season with the personnel on campus.

GoBigO
02-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys...that was a good game and I was worried as heck when State started getting hot behind the 3 point line.

Call me crazy but both these teams have the potential to win their respected divisions next year.

Tennessee
02-26-2009, 07:45 PM
I hate being a bubble team bc I cannot be a college basketball fan...I can't root for underdogs to knock off favorites if they are bubble teams...Heck, I had to root for Duke last night against Maryland LOL...I really hope by the time conference tournies start, we have 19-20 wins so I can root for upsets in the tournies LOL

msudawg4life
02-26-2009, 08:52 PM
agreed. we have a few of them.
we were picked to finish last or next to last & we'll do better than that. Bost has turned out to a star in the making. hopefully we win a few more games & make the NIT.... i think it would be a good experience.
next year looks really good. go DOGS!

congrats again UT & good luck!

I agree....we have done better then I thought we would do this year...I am happy with this team and how they have come along...Can't blame people for getting up for baseball after the year we had last year. Let's go MSU BAsketball and Baseball DAwgs!!!!

OffThePorch
02-26-2009, 09:27 PM
I agree....we have done better then I thought we would do this year...I am happy with this team and how they have come along...Can't blame people for getting up for baseball after the year we had last year. Let's go MSU BAsketball and Baseball DAwgs!!!!

im more happy with the team effort & the potential than i am with Stans as a floor coach. we're not playing good defense & we're not attacking the basket..
my lineup would be different too.. id start with Bost.. Turner.. Ravern... Kodi.. JV. imo thats our 5 best players.

anyway we return a lot.. hopefully & LSU looks to be losing a lot... so we're kinda set talent wise to win the West next season. something Stans is damn good at doing. along with recruiting.

msudawg4life
02-27-2009, 12:17 AM
my lineup would be different too.. id start with Bost.. Turner.. Ravern... Kodi.. JV. imo thats our 5 best players.

i agree with you on this 100%....i've been saying this for most of the year....Barry should not be starting..he'd be better served coming off the bench IMO....Stans needs to get over himself with this Kodi BS...some ppl just do not practice well....how do they expect him to get better playing 3 min a game........i'd like to see Osby out there on the floor more as well.

statesboroblues
02-27-2009, 10:52 AM
I wish Kodi would play more also...but when a kid does not have the best attitude toward coaches at times what are they to do. It is not just effort at practice when it comes to Kodi...

As for as being satisfied because we were picked to 4th or 5th in the West...I can not do that. Considering Bama's season turned into a mess and UM had their best player and the first 3 that would be playing the PG position go down to season ending knee injuries...I would expect us to finish second in the West. I expect us to play better than we have as of late...am I a bad fan for not being satisfied with how the season has played out to this point...am I a bad State fan because I disagree with fellow State fans on this board? I think not. Considering I have not missed a home SEC game this year and cheer as loud as the next guy until the game is over but when it is over...I take off my maroon colored glasses off and look at the performance as I see it. Some take that to be pessimistic...I call it realistic.

"Eat a Peach"

OffThePorch
02-27-2009, 01:44 PM
I wish Kodi would play more also...but when a kid does not have the best attitude toward coaches at times what are they to do. It is not just effort at practice when it comes to Kodi...
As for as being satisfied because we were picked to 4th or 5th in the West...I can not do that. Considering Bama's season turned into a mess and UM had their best player and the first 3 that would be playing the PG position go down to season ending knee injuries...I would expect us to finish second in the West. I expect us to play better than we have as of late...am I a bad fan for not being satisfied with how the season has played out to this point...am I a bad State fan because I disagree with fellow State fans on this board? I think not. Considering I have not missed a home SEC game this year and cheer as loud as the next guy until the game is over but when it is over...I take off my maroon colored glasses off and look at the performance as I see it. Some take that to be pessimistic...I call it realistic.
"Eat a Peach"

States... you seem to be a very dedicated mississippi state fan. we need a dose of reality sometimes. & you are happy to provide it.
ive been following mississippi state so long through so many bad times in so many sports.. that i decided a long time ago to let the bad go.. & concentrate on the good things. i stay happier that way & everyone around me is glad about that.

as for the team i wouldnt mind a change at the top... if i knew Greg could get someone better. Stansbury is good but not great. least we're not where ARK is.. & Stans hasnt beaten up any cab drivers while cursing them out. :lol: