LSU Wins 2009 SEC Championship [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : LSU Wins 2009 SEC Championship

Geaux 58 03 07
02-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Could theoretically still share it if we lose out and the UK/USC winner wins out, but that seems pretty unlikely.

tampacajun
02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Could theoretically still share it if we lose out and the UK/USC winner wins out, but that seems pretty unlikely.

not really, LSU still holds the tie breaker over USC. A USC win tomorrows gives LSU the SEC

GatorMan32
02-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Has any coach ever won COY in 2 different major conferences in back-to-back years?

LSUTigers1404
02-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Geaux Tigers!

orange&white
02-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Congrats to LSU, they are a fun team to watch. Depends on matchups but I think LSU and South Carolina have the best chance to do something in March for the SEC.

XPS
02-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Congrats LSU...

GatorMan32
02-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Congrats to LSU and to Johnson, he locked up COY.

Dawg
02-25-2009, 12:46 AM
Major cognrats to LSU. What a team. This team will surprise some people in March, and I certainly believe Johnson should take National COY honors.

OffThePorch
02-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Congrats! & good luck!

MSUado
02-25-2009, 11:03 AM
not really, LSU still holds the tie breaker over USC. A USC win tomorrows gives LSU the SEC

Are you sure they do tie breakers for championships. I know they will do them for divisional seeding but I don't think they do it for championships.

Gatorbabe
02-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Congrats Tigers!!

kentubbybasketball
02-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Has any coach ever won COY in 2 different major conferences in back-to-back years?

I believe Billy Gillispie did it just last year.

Anyway, kudos to Trent Johnson. I said he was gonna be great, and not even I thought it would turn out this great in year one. He has a nice roster, but coming into the season there was no proven PG and no proven back to the basket post scorer, but CTJ has developed a PG in Bo Spencer and he's getting by without a dominant a low post scorer.

This could really be a 1 loss SEC team, which is great regardless of how bad the league is. And, consider this, LSU is a program that doesn't get its due, but they've won 2 SEC titles since out last SEC title in 2005... they've been to a final four, imploded and rebuilt since our last SEC title. Astonishing! Geaux Tigers... I hope it's a second final four year this decade for you guys.

Texaubie
02-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Oh here is answer to my question.

Congrats

LSUTigers1404
02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
I believe Billy Gillispie did it just last year.

Anyway, kudos to Trent Johnson. I said he was gonna be great, and not even I thought it would turn out this great in year one. He has a nice roster, but coming into the season there was no proven PG and no proven back to the basket post scorer, but CTJ has developed a PG in Bo Spencer and he's getting by without a dominant a low post scorer.

This could really be a 1 loss SEC team, which is great regardless of how bad the league is. And, consider this, LSU is a program that doesn't get its due, but they've won 2 SEC titles since out last SEC title in 2005... they've been to a final four, imploded and rebuilt since our last SEC title. Astonishing! Geaux Tigers... I hope it's a second final four year this decade for you guys.

Must spread rep, I didn't even realize everything you said. Also, this is our 3rd SEC title of the decade. That matches our football team's total. That is pretty impressive. Contrary to popular belief, LSU has been a very succesful hoops program. We just haven't broken through and won an NCAA title. Hopefully Trent Johnson can bring us a National Championship at some point during his career.

kentubbybasketball
02-25-2009, 04:58 PM
LSU is a sleeping basketball giant. When you've got alums like Stanley Robinson and Chris Jackson you've got a certifiably great program... not to mention Shaq, who's a recruiting tool for LSU every time he's on TV. Then, when you consider Collis Temple's reach to help with the Baton Rouge kids (although he's not as involved apparently in the local AAU stuff), LSU has enough things going its way to be a great program. Trent Johnson is a better coach than Dale Brown and John Brady ever dreamed of being.

BergeLSU
02-25-2009, 05:45 PM
LSU is a sleeping basketball giant. When you've got alums like Stanley Robinson and Chris Jackson you've got a certifiably great program... not to mention Shaq, who's a recruiting tool for LSU every time he's on TV. Then, when you consider Collis Temple's reach to help with the Baton Rouge kids (although he's not as involved apparently in the local AAU stuff), LSU has enough things going its way to be a great program. Trent Johnson is a better coach than Dale Brown and John Brady ever dreamed of being.

It is an absolute shame the LSU fanbase does not support basketball as much as it should (at least from the student side).

Last night, LSU sold at least 60% (my estimate) of the student section as general admission tickets.

Students had to reserve a ticket for themselves if they wanted to attend, and LSU sold the rest. Now, LSU still didn't turn students away, but very few who didn't reserve showed up.

georgiaguy31015
02-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Congrats LSU.

bleedorange1983
02-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Congrats Tigers. Very solid team that should do fair in the tourney.

kentubbybasketball
02-26-2009, 11:50 AM
It is an absolute shame the LSU fanbase does not support basketball as much as it should (at least from the student side).

Last night, LSU sold at least 60% (my estimate) of the student section as general admission tickets.

Students had to reserve a ticket for themselves if they wanted to attend, and LSU sold the rest. Now, LSU still didn't turn students away, but very few who didn't reserve showed up.

Basketball is never gonna be #1 there, because you have the best football program in the country IMO... so that's hard to esclipse, but I think LSU if they are consistently good for a nice 5-7 year stretch, maybe then fans will be more apt to come out.

SECgamecock453
02-26-2009, 11:52 AM
It's very likely now that we may win out, but I don't see LSU losing out. So Congrats Tigers! :cheers:

BergeLSU
02-28-2009, 05:13 PM
BUMP!

:cheers:

:D:D:D:D

LSUTigers1404
02-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Geaux Tigers!

VUownsUK
02-28-2009, 06:05 PM
OMG LSU wins the SEC congrats lolllll the weakest SEC ever...

Geaux 58 03 07
02-28-2009, 06:09 PM
OMG LSU wins the SEC congrats lolllll the weakest SEC ever...

http://www.kinneybrothers.com/FLASH%20CARDS/jealous.jpg

VUownsUK
02-28-2009, 06:21 PM
http://www.kinneybrothers.com/FLASH%20CARDS/jealous.jpg

NEVER, VU will own the SEC next year...

Geaux 58 03 07
02-28-2009, 06:22 PM
NEVER, VU will own the SEC next year...

:rotf: sure, just like you always do :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

VUownsUK
02-28-2009, 06:23 PM
:rotf: sure, just like you always do :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

VU has the best coach, just a little young right now. LSU has talent, but Johnson can't coach...

BergeLSU
02-28-2009, 06:36 PM
VU has the best coach, just a little young right now. LSU has talent, but Johnson can't coach...

Wow, this sounds like hog64.

jh4uk
02-28-2009, 07:26 PM
congrats tiger fans on the regular season title and the big win today. don't worry about that dumbass vandy fan... he won't be on here very much longer.

SCfan804
02-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Gotta give props- Congrats LSU! Guess we'll have to settle for trying to win the East...

LSUTigers1404
02-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Wow, this sounds like hog64.

I was thinking the same thing. We should get a wager going on how long it takes for him to get banned. Look at his rep, he is already forming a red bar.

jrltiger
02-28-2009, 10:13 PM

In the students defense, that game was on Mardi Gras day. A good amount of people were not back in Baton Rouge yet, either being in New Orleans or they went home for the break. For home games when school has been in session, there has been a HUGE increase in student attendance from last season.

swampmonster
02-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Congrats LSU....thankyou for beating kentubby's favorite team. LOL.

BergeLSU
03-01-2009, 02:24 AM
In the students defense, that game was on Mardi Gras day. A good amount of people were not back in Baton Rouge yet, either being in New Orleans or they went home for the break. For home games when school has been in session, there has been a HUGE increase in student attendance from last season.

Home football game against, let's say, South Carolina on Mardi Gras Day. Is there any thought of selling student tickets?

Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night, Monday night. Mardi Gras has it's festivities in the daytime on Tuesday. Plenty of time to come back for an 8 pm game.

There is no merit for any defense of students for only having a couple hundred at the game.

XPS
03-01-2009, 02:46 AM
Congrats LSU....thankyou for beating kentubby's favorite team. LOL.

LSU didn't play Minnesota...:raz:

tampacajun
03-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Home football game against, let's say, South Carolina on Mardi Gras Day. Is there any thought of selling student tickets?

Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night, Monday night. Mardi Gras has it's festivities in the daytime on Tuesday. Plenty of time to come back for an 8 pm game.

never been to Mardi Gras have you? Just because the parades are during the day doesn't mean the festivities stop then. It is a pretty good excuse for the students. I can tell you right now, back when I was in school, giving the choice between a basketball game and drunk college chicks.....taking drunk college chicks every time.

jrltiger
03-01-2009, 01:39 PM

There is no merit for any defense of students for only having a couple hundred at the game.

It's not just Mardi Gras, though. Plenty of people from out of the BR area go home for the break. Think about the Arkansas football game when it's in BR. Is it anything like say the Auburn or UF games? No, and it doesn't matter how good Arkansas or LSU is that year. It's because it's the day after Thanksgiving and kids who live out of state or 5 or 6 hours away go see their families and don't come back to school till that Sunday. But then you throw Mardi Gras on top of that, then yeah it's gonna be a light crowd. And Mardi Gras doesn't end with Rex in the morning, plenty of people stay down there for the entire day.

LSUTigers1404
03-01-2009, 01:42 PM
It's not just Mardi Gras, though. Plenty of people from out of the BR area go home for the break. Think about the Arkansas football game when it's in BR. Is it anything like say the Auburn or UF games? No, and it doesn't matter how good Arkansas or LSU is that year. It's because it's the day after Thanksgiving and kids who live out of state or 5 or 6 hours away go see their families and don't come back to school till that Sunday. But then you throw Mardi Gras on top of that, then yeah it's gonna be a light crowd. And Mardi Gras doesn't end with Rex in the morning, plenty of people stay down there for the entire day.

Yea, when I was at LSU I went home for every holiday we had. But, I always came back for the LSU/Arkansas game. Of course, I live in New Orleans so it isn't much of a drive.

BergeLSU
03-01-2009, 03:17 PM

The last Arkansas game was packed.

jrltiger
03-01-2009, 05:13 PM
The last Arkansas game was packed.

Not nearly as much as the AU and UF games were earlier that year. It was full, but nothing like it should've been, with a NC bid supposedly on the line.

BergeLSU
03-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Not nearly as much as the AU and UF games were earlier that year. It was full, but nothing like it should've been, with a NC bid supposedly on the line.

You will not get me to believe that there were less than 500 students in Baton Rouge on Tuesday night.

jrltiger
03-01-2009, 10:31 PM
You will not get me to believe that there were less than 500 students in Baton Rouge on Tuesday night.

Probably not, but how many of those that were in town go to the games on a regular basis? Not all 35,000 students go to the bball games. Not all are interested. And while I am, I understand that for some people it's just not their cup of tea. And like me, I wasn't there Tuesday. I was at home. I hadn't been home since Christmas, and my mom is all alone cause my dad is on a month long business trip to the Far East. So I felt like spending time with her was more important that one bball game. I'll be there on Wednesday, though, cause I'm back in BR. So I'm not gonna rag on the students too hard for not being there for UF, cause when you're out of school it's tough to always make it. Now, if there's a bad crowd Wednesday, I'll jump on those who weren't there (even though some will say it's because it's mid term week, but hey I rescheduled one of mine cause it was supposed to be Thursday but I changed it to Friday so I could go to the game).

cock15
03-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Darrin Horn deserves COTY! Devan Downey deserves more credit! S.Car desrves more respect and credit! The east has more talent than the west, dont get me wrong LSU is a great team but with the competition in the east I see why a team in the east hasent gone 13-1 this season. In the east you have Meeks,Calathies,Downey,Chism. Tons of playmaker that go on and on. An SEC East team will win the SEC Tournament.

msudawgs1964
03-02-2009, 01:23 AM
Darrin Horn deserves COTY! Devan Downey deserves more credit! S.Car desrves more respect and credit! The east has more talent than the west, dont get me wrong LSU is a great team but with the competition in the east I see why a team in the east hasent gone 13-1 this season. In the east you have Meeks,Calathies,Downey,Chism. Tons of playmaker that go on and on. An SEC East team will win the SEC Tournament.

hell we beat y'all..who cares about USC respect and credit, especially in a LSU wins the regular season championship thread. Want some respect and credit? Don't try so hard next time.

BergeLSU
03-02-2009, 02:31 AM
Darrin Horn deserves COTY! Devan Downey deserves more credit! S.Car desrves more respect and credit! The east has more talent than the west, dont get me wrong LSU is a great team but with the competition in the east I see why a team in the east hasent gone 13-1 this season. In the east you have Meeks,Calathies,Downey,Chism. Tons of playmaker that go on and on.

I see two divisions with a 2-12 team.

I see two divisions riddled with 6-8 loss teams.

Check this stat out:

If LSU had lost to each West team (but Arkansas) once, they would have an 9-5 record.

Here would be the standings:

LSU 9-5
Auburn 9-5
Miss State 8-6
Ole Miss 7-7
Bama 6-8
Arkansas 2-12

WOW.... What does that look like? Oh... The EAST STANDINGS! Then would people be saying LSU and Auburn deserve more credit because the West is difficult or competitive? No. They would be saying the West is filled with average teams.

So don't give me this USC is in the East BS. Win your games. No excuses.

Great players do not mean great or even good teams. Look at Arkansas.

An SEC East team will win the SEC Tournament.

Wow, way to go on a limb there.

Hey, I'm going to flip a coin. Can you predict which side will end up facing up? If you think the odds are too poor I won't blame you for not venturing a guess.

Here's my prediction of the year: a team seeded 8th or better will win the national championship.

LSUTigers1404
03-02-2009, 03:22 AM

Check this stat out:

If LSU had lost to each West team (but Arkansas) once, they would have an 9-5 record.

LSU 9-5
Auburn 9-5
Miss State 8-6
Ole Miss 7-7
Bama 6-8
Arkansas 2-12

WOW.... What does that look like? Oh... The EAST STANDINGS! Then would people be saying LSU and Auburn deserve more credit because the West is difficult or competitive? No. They would be saying the West is filled with average teams.

Hey, I'm going to flip a coin. Can you predict which side will end up facing up? If you think the odds are too poor I won't blame you for not venturing a guess.

Here's my prediction of the year: a team seeded 8th or better will win the national championship.

owned

jrltiger
03-02-2009, 09:04 AM

Check this stat out:

LSU 9-5
Auburn 9-5
Miss State 8-6
Ole Miss 7-7
Bama 6-8
Arkansas 2-12

:bow: :bow: :bow:

J.D.
03-02-2009, 10:29 AM

Guess who's 5-0 vs the East?

Gatorbabe
03-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Who did LSU lose to in the SEC? Miss St?

RedNekTiger
03-02-2009, 10:58 AM

Check this stat out:

LSU 9-5
Auburn 9-5
Miss State 8-6
Ole Miss 7-7
Bama 6-8
Arkansas 2-12

A slap down even I would be proud to post. Rep.

tampacajun
03-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Who did LSU lose to in the SEC? Miss St?

that would be alabama. it was the sec opener at that, and came right after the 30 point beat down to utah.