Has flopping for a charge got out of hand? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Has flopping for a charge got out of hand?

XPS
02-24-2009, 10:21 PM
The more basketball i watch, the more amazed i am with how much flopping is going on and 80% of the time, there isn't any real contact. I think its got out of hand and especially the home teams get away with it, hell lots of times the player will fall and hit the deck before an offensive player even touches them.

I wish they would cut out the flopping and actually make guys earn the charge...

MKAU
02-24-2009, 10:28 PM
I'd say about 95% of the time a charge is called the defender instigated it by falling down intentionally. Very rarely in those cases is enough force actually created upon contact to force the defender to the ground. If he didn't fall he'd probably get called for a block. Therefore I'm fine with flopping, because without it there would be no charges anyway.

XPS
02-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I'd say about 95% of the time a charge is called the defender instigated it by falling down intentionally. Very rarely in those cases is enough force actually created upon contact to force the defender to the ground. If he didn't fall he'd probably get called for a block. Therefore I'm fine with flopping, because without it there would be no charges anyway.

I'm talking about a player going strong to the hoop and a player in actual position to take the charge and feel something. besides just falling to the floor...

orange&white
02-24-2009, 10:34 PM
It has got out of hand.

GatorMan32
02-24-2009, 10:39 PM
I nearly lost it when Mitchell flopped tonight and got the call late in the game. That is after a play a few minutes earlier where Thornton pushed Calathes down and no call. But officiating did not cost them the game, more late game stupidity did.

MKAU
02-24-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm talking about a player going strong to the hoop and a player in actual position to take the charge and feel something. besides just falling to the floor...
Personally I think the whole rule needs to be rewritten anyway. For starters I don't like the general definition of "the offensive player is out of control". On extremely rare instances is the player actually "out of control". Usually someone just jumped in his way real quick like and fell down on contact. There's nothing out of control about that.

XPS
02-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Personally I think the whole rule needs to be rewritten anyway. For starters I don't like the general definition of "the offensive player is out of control". On extremely rare instances is the player actually "out of control". Usually someone just jumped in his way real quick like and fell down on contact. There's nothing out of control about that.

I agree...

GatorMan32
02-24-2009, 10:50 PM
It all depends in terms of jumping in the way. Some guys will take 3 or 4 steps full speed even after the guy is in place. Thats just dumb. That is always going to be judgement. What kills me is in the post when the defender flops.

MKAU
02-24-2009, 10:57 PM
It all depends in terms of jumping in the way. Some guys will take 3 or 4 steps full speed even after the guy is in place. Thats just dumb. That is always going to be judgement.
Still usually not out of control. Just dumb like you said. I hate that definition.

What kills me is in the post when the defender flops.Auburn used to have a guy that was great at that. I think it was Brandon Robinson. The elbow would come and he would hit the ground hard. And get the call. Yeah he was flopping. But he was damn good at it.

orange&white
02-24-2009, 10:59 PM

Yeah this is the main play I just don't understand. It hasn't always been a charge, don't know why it has started to become one almost all the time. There is nothing the offensive player can do in situations like these and they still get called for charges. Frustrating to watch even if UT isn't invloved.

LSUTigers1404
02-24-2009, 11:03 PM
I can't stand flopping. Dirk Nowintski and Manu Ginobili are the WORST for that. What gets me is why the refs fall for it so much. We need a more clear definition of exactly what a foul is. It is far too subjective.

ConwayGamecock
02-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeh, if the officials did a better job recognizing the acting jobs and not call the flops, there would be less of them....a player sprawled out on the floor doesn't play the best defense.....

steelyvan
02-25-2009, 09:32 AM
i hate flopping and floppers. i don't like it regardless if its my team doing it or the opposition. in my youth, it was in the rules for an official to assess a foul if they caught someone flopping/acting. same rule is enforced in many european pro leagues today.

SECgamecock453
02-25-2009, 10:01 AM
They must be watching tapes of Italian soccer, I mean why not do it if it pays off?

:sarcasm: (I hate Italian soccer and always try to take a stab at it)

OffThePorch
02-25-2009, 10:57 AM
im not a fan of fouls in general. unless its very obvious let em play ball.

MissKitty
02-25-2009, 11:21 AM
If it's an obvious flop, I think the flopper should be called for a foul

GatorMan32
02-25-2009, 12:38 PM
MK if a post defender flops, its a bigger penalty not to stop the play. his guy is near the basket sans defender.

SkyAntoine
02-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Some schools take it way too far...
http://kentuckywildcatsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/duke-flopping-camp-app.jpg

kentubbybasketball
02-25-2009, 01:29 PM
It has got out of hand.

Short and sweet and I agree. But, if refs are gonna still give you the charge, coaches are teaching their players to fall down/flop. It's part of the game.

Ramel Bradley perfected the art of flopping and overdramatizing contact.

steelyvan
02-25-2009, 01:38 PM
now Sky....are you associating flopping with white guys?

Optik
02-25-2009, 01:42 PM
The more basketball i watch, the more amazed i am with how much flopping is going on and 80% of the time, there isn't any real contact. I think its got out of hand and especially the home teams get away with it, hell lots of times the player will fall and hit the deck before an offensive player even touches them.

I wish they would cut out the flopping and actually make guys earn the charge...

In other news, the Germanic Barbarian tribes sacked Rome...

Seriously, flopping was out of hand years ago.

SkyAntoine
02-25-2009, 01:45 PM
now Sky....are you associating flopping with white guys?

No, that was just Duke. As well as peeing sitting down and whether or not you like Italian Soccer. Apparently those are traits of a good flopper.:p

I'm actually a fan of a good flop as long as the call is in our favor. A co-worker recently gave me a game-worn jersey from Rob Lock, one of the greatest floppers in Kentucky history.

kentubbybasketball
02-25-2009, 01:45 PM
I was gonna say the same thing... flopping has been an issue for years and I honestly feel like it's been better lately.