12 man all star SEC team, how would this team compare with other conferences? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 12 man all star SEC team, how would this team compare with other conferences?

XPS
02-24-2009, 02:35 PM
This is mine...

Starting 5

Devan Downey
Jodie Meeks
Tasmin Mitchell
Patrick Patterson
Jarvis Varnado

Next 5

Nick Calathes
Marcus Thornton
Tyler Smith
Michael Washington
A.J Ogilvy

last 2

Zam Fredrick
Korvotney Barber

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 02:38 PM
I'd probably take some other leauges mythical all-star team over ours... the Big East in particular.

But, how anyone leaves Calathes off the first team is beyond me. He's the most versatile player we have in the league (he and Tyler Smith). Personally, he's the best point guard the league IMO, but I'd have him at the 3, just so we could make room for Downey.

And, I'd add more role players, instead of just having star players. I think a guy like Dominque Archie for instance would be a great player to have on one of these teams. He'll rebound for you, defend, he'll play 2 different position, and guard maybe four positions. There'd be a spot for him, but with that said....

I'd probably take one player from each team if there are only 12 spots, since there are 12 teams.

XPS
02-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I'd probably take some other leauges mythical all-star team over ours... the Big East in particular.

But, how anyone leaves Calathes off the first team is beyond me. He's the most versatile player we have in the league (he and Tyler Smith). Personally, he's the best point guard the league IMO, but I'd have him at the 3, just so we could make room for Downey.

And, I'd add more role players, instead of just having star players. I think a guy like Dominque Archie for instance would be a great player to have on one of these teams. He'll rebound for you, defend, he'll play 2 different position, and guard maybe four positions. There'd be a spot for him.

I'd probably take one player from each team if there are only 12 spots, since there are 12 teams.

You take the best players from the conference and Downey actually beat Nick in the voting I had not to long ago. Nick is not athletic enough to me to play the 3...

orange&white
02-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Top 8 players are unbelivable. After that it gets shaky.

Djshockley3
02-24-2009, 02:48 PM
No love for Woodbury? I know UGA blows but he has been a good player for UGA for 4 years.

XPS
02-24-2009, 02:50 PM
No love for Woodbury? I know UGA blows but he has been a good player for UGA for 4 years.

He could definitely be on the list..

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 02:54 PM
You take the best players from the conference and Downey actually beat Nick in the voting I had not to long ago. Nick is not athletic enough to me to play the 3...

I think the reason Downey beat Nick is because nobody really knows what position Nick plays because he's great at the 1, 2, and the 3.

But, he's not athletic enough to play the 3? I wonder how SEC small forwards would feel about that. Kevin Galloway (who does have more hops than Calathes) said Calathes is one of the toughest people he's ever guarded. There's more to it than who jumps the highest. You don't have to be a supreme athlete to excel, AJ Ogilvy has proven that IMO (and that's not a slight to him, he just makes up for his athletic limitations). Maybe in the NBA, athleticism would become and issue in since this mythical allstar team is being compared to other college leagues, I'd say that's a non-issue.

orange&white
02-24-2009, 02:57 PM
LMAO at Calathes not athletic enough. There is more to athleticism than how high you can jump. His body control is amazing, which is why no one can guard him. Not to mention he has a great basketball IQ.

XPS
02-24-2009, 03:02 PM
LMAO at Calathes not athletic enough. There is more to athleticism than how high you can jump. His body control is amazing, which is why no one can guard him. Not to mention he has a great basketball IQ.

So would you pick Nick over Tyler and Mitchell for the 3 spot?

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 03:03 PM
I certainly would... yes sir.

XPS
02-24-2009, 03:05 PM
I certainly would... yes sir.

I think Nick wouldn't be near as affective without the ball ...

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 03:08 PM
So, Nick can't play off the ball as a shooter? I mean he's not gonna get confused with Stephen Curry or anything, but NIck would be exceptional as a shooter if someone else (Downey) were setting him up. Furthermore, you should know it's not just the point guard that handles the ball... Nick would handle the ball on enough posessions himself (kinda like Ramon Harris does for us, much to your chagrin... and Ramon plays the 3).

BTW, this idea of "so and so wouldn't be as effective off the ball." Looking at your starting lineup none of those guys will be fully effective since they are playing with other stars, right?

orange&white
02-24-2009, 03:09 PM
So would you pick Nick over Tyler and Mitchell for the 3 spot?

With the Top 8 I think it is just throw them together in a hat and pick them. They are all great players.

orange&white
02-24-2009, 03:10 PM
So, Nick can't play off the ball as a shooter? I mean he's not gonna get confused with Stephen Curry or anything, but NIck would be exceptional as a shooter if someone else (Downey) were setting him up. Furthermore, you should know it's not just the point guard that handles the ball... Nick would handle the ball on enough posessions himself (kinda like Ramon Harris does for us, much to your chagrin... and Ramon plays the 3).

BTW, this idea of "so and so wouldn't be as effective off the ball." Looking at your starting lineup none of those guys will be fully effective since they are playing with other stars, right?

I think the offense would work a lot better with Calathes with the ball and Downey or Meeks off the ball. Bottom line is the Top 8 are all great, great players.

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 03:11 PM
I think the offense would work a lot better with Calathes with the ball and Downey or Meeks off the ball. Bottom line is the Top 8 are all great, great players.

Maybe so, I'd still let Downey control the ball though, because I think Calathes is better off the ball than Downey is.

XPS
02-24-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm just saying Nick is GREAT with the ball in his hands and he doesn't have the quickest release either...

orange&white
02-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Maybe so, I'd still let Downey control the ball though, because I think Calathes is better off the ball than Downey is.

Yeah I think if anybody would struggle to adapt to playing on this team it would be Downey. He is so used to dominating the ball that I could see it like a AI to the Pistons type problem. I would rather have Calathes as my point guard for this team. Not saying Calathes is a better player, but a better fit for this team.

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah I think if anybody would struggle to adapt to playing on this team it would be Downey. He is so used to dominating the ball that I could see it like a AI to the Pistons type problem. I would rather have Calathes as my point guard for this team. Not saying Calathes is a better player, but a better fit for this team.

I think Calathes would calm things down better. I think at time Downey gets too quick for his own good, and Calathes wouldn't have that problem. Personally, I think Calathes is a better PG than Downey (I said that in my first post in this thread), but you gotta have Downey and Calathes in your starting five IMO, and under that condition, Downey would have the ball. Both are excellent ball handlers, but Calathes is much better off the ball, and it's something that's not foreign to him, since he played off the ball at junctures last season.

I've not broken Calathes' game down enough to know how quick or slow his shot release is, but looking at his percentage, it is great enough for him. Plus, he's a guy that can penetrate and slash inside for buckets too.

UA37
02-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Alonzo Gee belongs in the SEC's top 12 players.

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 03:52 PM
As you look back on his career, do you think Gee had some unfilfilled potential, like he didnt' really reach the full ability he has given his rock solid build mixed with uncanny athleticism.

UA37
02-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Sure i guess. I think you can say that about a lot of players too. Not having many quality guards by his side for a lot of his career sure didnt help. Hisnumbers always seemed to be better when Steele was on the court. Gee has stepped his game up tho. He has matured and he's a much improved player.

MSUado
02-24-2009, 03:59 PM
It would probably never be done but it would be a lot of fun to see the conference all stars to compete against each other at the end of the season.

Jodie Meeks is probably the best scorer in the country (steph curry is second IMO) and Jarvis Varnado is the best defender in the country IMO. You add Patterson to that front line and two of the best creators in the country (not to mention they are both great at steals, Downey is probably the best in the country) and I think you have a seriously solid starting five (if calathes starts). I'd put that group against any other conference.

MSUado
02-24-2009, 04:01 PM
The SEC has an individual that leads the country (for major conferences) in scoring, blocks, and steals. That is half of the major statistical records in one conference.

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Too bad our teams are so incomplete, because you're right.

Nkemdiche4Heisman5
02-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Where the hell is Chris Warren?? He is the best PG in the SEC.

MSUado
02-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Where the hell is Chris Warren?? He is the best PG in the SEC.

he's riding the bench and he's not the best point guard in the sec.

Nkemdiche4Heisman5
02-24-2009, 04:13 PM
he's riding the bench and he's not the best point guard in the sec.

Yes, he is...he carried the team last year and prior to his injury this year. Look up the stats

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 04:20 PM
If somebody wants to argue that Warren is the best 1 in the SEC, I won't argue... but based on this season and him being out, I don't think it's fair to put him on there.

Nkemdiche4Heisman5
02-24-2009, 04:23 PM
If somebody wants to argue that Warren is the best 1 in the SEC, I won't argue... but based on this season and him being out, I don't think it's fair to put him on there.

I figured this was overall, but then why is 2Pat on there?

MSUado
02-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Chris Warren 32 min 15.8 ppg 4.5 apg 1.5 a/to 2.0 rpg 1.1 spg 39.6 fg% 38.9 3p% 80.2%ft

Nick Calathes 32.6 min 15.3 ppg 6.1 apg 2.1 a/to 5.2 rpg 1.6 spg 42.6 fg% 36.7 3p% 72.4%ft

Devan Downey 32.5 min 20.0 ppg 4.32 apg 1.21 a/to 2.8 rpg 3 spg 45.4 fg% 37.6 3p% 73.1 ft%

Warren leads only in three point percentage and ft percentage. I'd take either one of the other guys any day.

MSUado
02-24-2009, 04:33 PM
by the way, it's impossible to gets stats off of Florida's site.

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 04:42 PM
I figured this was overall, but then why is 2Pat on there?

One he's the best shooter by percentage in the SEC last time I checked, unless somebody overcame him. But, other than that, he's averaging one rebound short of a double double, and he's only missed two games this season... not quite the same issue as Warren. Furthermore, Patterson is clearly one of the best post players in the SEC, and the very best offensive post player. That's why he's on there.

Nkemdiche4Heisman5
02-24-2009, 04:43 PM
You have to add in the talent of the rest of the team

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying?

Nkemdiche4Heisman5
02-24-2009, 04:46 PM
It's like the QB, you have to have good players to get assists, etc.

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah that's true, but Calathes and Warren only have played one year and both teams went to the NIT Final Four, so I'd say they probably had somewhat even talent.