newest bracketology [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : newest bracketology

XPS
02-23-2009, 02:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Wow, Kentucky as a 7 seed... that means we've be the higher seed in the first round... I think that's a bit farfetched based on how we've looked this season, but the Vandy doesn't count, since we didn't have Patrick Patterson.

MSUado
02-23-2009, 02:43 PM
LSU an 8 seed. Geez. Aren't they ranked right now.

VandyChuck
02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Wow, Kentucky as a 7 seed... that means we've be the higher seed in the first round... I think that's a bit farfetched based on how we've looked this season, but the Vandy doesn't count, since we didn't have Patrick Patterson.

Then your win over us doesn't count either, since we didn't have AJ or LG.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 02:48 PM
I dont' really feel like Vandy is in the NCAAT discussion though. I'm just basing that off of what past selection committees have stated about bubble teams that maybe had guys injured. And, Patrick Patterson not being available should be a consideration IMO for UK's portfolio.

XPS
02-23-2009, 02:49 PM

UK had the game won Chuck, up as many as 20 and let down toward the end. Give UK an 40-23 FT advantage Chuck and UK beats Vandy by 30...

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 02:49 PM
LSU an 8 seed. Geez. Aren't they ranked right now.

3 letters... SOS. That weaker schedule helped them with confidence and it'll help them win an SEC title, but it's gonna hurt their seeding... I've even heard some people question if they are a lock, which I think is silly, but SOS is a big deal... that's why UT is as high as they are (#9 seed).

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 02:50 PM
UK had the game won Chuck, up as many as 20 and let down toward the end. Give UK an 40-23 FT advantage Chuck and UK beats Vandy by 30...

XPS, please let's not turn this into another Vandy-Kentucky thing. I think Chuck knows exactly what I meant now.

MSUado
02-23-2009, 02:52 PM
SOS is a crock in my opinion. Losing to a good team means nothing except that you aren't as good as that team.

XPS
02-23-2009, 02:52 PM
XPS, please let's not turn this into another Vandy-Kentucky thing. I think Chuck knows exactly what I meant now.

KT, you started it LMAO. Practice what you preach..

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 02:53 PM
But, I defended what I said, because it wasn't received the way I intended.

VandyChuck
02-23-2009, 03:02 PM

It's not Vandy's fault that UK kept fouling.

And we were up 16 toward the end and let up (just a little bit). :rotf:

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 03:21 PM
I didn't realize this at the time, but of all the SEC schools, UK has the highest seed... man, I wish this were the actual bracket, especially drawing Dayton in the first round.

UA37
02-23-2009, 03:36 PM
I can't believe UK is the highest seed of all the SEC teams. I think they'll be lucky to get in. Well not lucky b/c if they make it they'll have to earn it in these next 4 weeks. I think they may go 1-3 and miss out.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Those are some big words, considering we could go 1-3 to finish 9-7 yet still win 2 or 3 SECT games and still get in. There's more to the scenario than going 1-3, 2-2, or 3-1 in the final four games.

Either way it goes UK is rounding into form. Pat seems to be playing without any limitation. Plus, we've got a clear second unit now with Liggins, Galloway, Miller, Stewart, and Harrellson, which is crucial around this time of the year... oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Jodie Meeks is Jodie Meeks! We've got a tough schedule here on out, but I look at that as our chance to solidify our seed.

UA37
02-23-2009, 03:48 PM
I think if UK goes 1-3 in the last 4 then they'd have to win the tournament to make it in.

LSUTigers1404
02-23-2009, 03:49 PM
LSU/Ohio State would be fun. The Buckeyes might commit mass suicide if they were knocked out by LSU. That means they would have lost to both LSU and Florida in both the BCS National Championship Game and the NCAA Tournament.

XPS
02-23-2009, 03:53 PM
I think if UK goes 1-3 in the last 4 then they'd have to win the tournament to make it in.

Now now LOL, UK could go 1-3 and win one in the SEC T and get an invite...

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 03:53 PM

I personally disagree. That would put us at 20 wins without playing any in Tampa. If we win say 1 or 2 games in the SECT that's 21 or 22 wins... hard to leave UK out, especially with a OOC was somewhat ambitious, which is what the committee said they wants.

Ultimately though, I'm not sure this is even a worthy topic of discussion, because worst case scenario I think we finish the regular season 2-2 if not 3-1. The UT game is maybe the best we've looked all season long.

UA37
02-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Now now LOL, UK could go 1-3 and win one in the SEC T and get an invite...

I don't agree. That would give UK 12 losses. I think it's also important for Kentucky that UT not falter down the stretch. They are likely to lose two more too.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
We had 12 losses last year, too though, and I think with a better OOC showing that helps UK since the OOC was tougher this year. And, we already have more wins.

As for UT, I think they are pretty secure with a top 3 SOS... that'll keep their RPI respectable if that's what you're alluding to IMO.

UA37
02-23-2009, 04:17 PM
The 12-4 conference record got UK in last year. 9-7 doesnt have the same effect. 10-6 and you'll be in easy. 9-7 and it's really washy especially if UT keeps dropping. Win the two home games and UK is in.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 04:21 PM
12-4 did help last year, but having a sub .500 OOC record (6-7) bit UK in the butt last year. This year we've don't see the two extremities in either the SEC or OOC schedule, but I still think it works out.

Ultimately, who knows if 2 more wins does the trick, like you're saying. A lot of it hinges on conference tourneys... but UK could squash that by winning it's own.

BergeLSU
02-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Wow, LSU keeps winning, and their seed drops.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 04:54 PM
I really do think it's a SOS thing, but it's sad, because LSU should be a top 6 seed on a conservative estimate (more like a 4 seed IMO).

BergeLSU
02-23-2009, 05:04 PM
The NCAA selection committee held a mock selection.

They just did the first 34.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3928104&name=katz_andy

On the first ballot, the committee voted on up to 34 teams. This list eventually could include automatic qualifiers of major conferences, thus eventually creating more spots as the selection weekend of March 11-15 nears.

The teams that made our cut on the first ballot were:

Arizona State
Clemson
Connecticut
Duke
Illinois
Kansas
LSU
Louisville
Marquette
Memphis
Michigan State
Missouri
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Pitt
Purdue
Syracuse
UCLA
Villanova
Wake Forest
Washington
Xavier

Only LSU in that first ballot. Ouch.

orange&white
02-23-2009, 05:21 PM

You must not of seen how bad the bubble is this year. No way UK has to win the SEC tourney if they go 9-7 in the league. They might not have to win a game in the tourney. The bubble is BRUTAL this year. A whole lot mediocre basketball teams that don't have many quality wins.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 06:18 PM

That's done under the assumption that GTown wins the BE tourney.

OffThePorch
02-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Wow, LSU keeps winning, and their seed drops.
sometimes it doesnt make sense. imo LSU has a chance at a sweet 16 or better. good luck!

MSUado
02-23-2009, 07:04 PM

That's about right. LSU is the only solid SEC team IMO.

steelyvan
02-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Lunardi puts georgetown and notre dame in the bracket? bs!

orange&white
02-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Lunardi puts georgetown and notre dame in the bracket? bs!

This one wasn't just Lunardi. It was a group of ten that predicted how the rest of the season was going to go. They have G'Town winning 5 games in 5 days to win the Big East tourney which just isn't going to happen.

jrltiger
02-24-2009, 08:00 PM
sometimes it doesnt make sense. imo LSU has a chance at a sweet 16 or better. good luck!

I'd like to think so, but not with that draw. If we get UNC in the second round they'll beat the tar (no pun intended) out of us.

Tennessee
02-24-2009, 08:23 PM

Chuck, you took it hook, line, and sinker :rotf:

OffThePorch
02-24-2009, 08:39 PM
I'd like to think so, but not with that draw. If we get UNC in the second round they'll beat the tar (no pun intended) out of us.

yeah matchups are everything. we had a team last season with Rhodes & Gordon, etc that couldve gone further except for having to play Memphis in the second round.
good luck!