Kentucky @ South Carolina Game Thread [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky @ South Carolina Game Thread

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Last time the difference was the fact that USC had to have outrebounded us by like 25... if we don't fix that (a problem we had with UT on Saturday) it could be much the same.

I do think Patterson can create a major disadvantage for USC if we utilize him often. I like UK's chances in this one.

XPS
02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Last time the difference was the fact that USC had to have outrebounded us by like 25... if we don't fix that (a problem we had with UT on Saturday) it could be much the same.

I do think Patterson can create a major disadvantage for USC if we utilize him often. I like
UK's chances in this one.

Me 2, limit Downey and make some one else take shots and UK will be fine...

MSUado
02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
South Carolina is lucky to get this opportunity at home but obviously UK is capable of winning anywhere. I think this will be a very good very competitive game.

SkyAntoine
02-23-2009, 01:27 PM
IMO this is the biggest conference game left on the year. I think we could conceivably split with Florida, lose to LSU and beat Georgia without anyone on the selection committee batting an eye. A loss in this game, however, could be real bad even if we take Florida away.

Yes, a win versus LSU could make all the difference, but I don't want to bank on that one for our post-season chances.

UA37
02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
A guy called into the radio today and said he's already spotted a big group of UK fans in columbia. they're already here...

UA37
02-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Kentucky definitely needs the win more than USC.

XPS
02-23-2009, 01:32 PM
IMO this is the biggest conference game left on the year. I think we could conceivably split with Florida, lose to LSU and beat Georgia without anyone on the selection committee batting an eye. A loss in this game, however, could be real bad even if we take Florida away.

Yes, a win versus LSU could make all the difference, but I don't want to bank on that one for our post-season chances.

I don't see a win at Fla who is 6-0 at home. I do believe the Cats can take USC, LSU and Ga....

SkyAntoine
02-23-2009, 01:40 PM
I don't see a win at Fla who is 6-0 at home. I do believe the Cats can take USC, LSU and Ga....
A win against LSU would be great. Those early wins versus KSU and WVU are all we have since UT and Florida are like us with average seasons.

XPS
02-23-2009, 01:44 PM
A win against LSU would be great. Those early wins versus KSU and WVU are all we have since UT and Florida are like us with average seasons.

More than likely LSU will come in rupp ranked and UK will be jacked up...

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Sky, as usual, you actually make some very strong points... I forgot all about KSU... while they aren't a lock by any means, they are playing better of late, and that may help us a bit too.

OffThePorch
02-23-2009, 02:35 PM
sb a great game. toss up imo.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Kentucky definitely needs the win more than USC.

UK seems to be in better position than USC by all mock drafts. Now, in the grand scheme of things, UK is a program that wants to be in the NCAAt, so maybe in that sense, it is more important, but I'd say it's equally as important.

Obviously a road win here and we really separate ourselves from USC, so yeah, it is a big deal... but I'd say it's pretty equal, if USC doesn't need it more.

JRS
02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Maybe we'll get lucky again. :sarcasm:
Should be a good game.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah, you were lucky last time (no sarcasm). How Perry Stevenson missed those two free throws at the end there, I'll never know. Otherwise, you guys put yourselves in position for that by outrebounding us by so much. But, Stevenson missing those free throws has nothing to do with USC's performance or even winning that game... USC had no control over that.

JRS
02-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah, you were lucky last time (no sarcasm). How Perry Stevenson missed those two free throws at the end there, I'll never know. Otherwise, you guys put yourselves in position for that by outrebounding us by so much.

He choked, it's as simple as that. I wish USC would win this game by double figures but my guess is that if we win, it'll be by a couple of points thus bringing back the whole, "you guys were lucky," thing. But, I will gladly take a lucky win any day.

XPS
02-23-2009, 02:51 PM
He choked, it's as simple as that. I wish USC would win this game by double figures but my guess is that if we win, it'll be by a couple of points thus bringing back the whole, "you guys were lucky," thing. But, I will gladly take a lucky win any day.

Me 2...

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 02:51 PM
I think anybody would take a lucky win... at least you're starting to admit it.

I don't know why people act like it's offensive to suggest you got a lucky win... our Florida win was lucky... and I'm man enough to admit it. Luck is part of the game.

JRS
02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
I think anybody would take a lucky win... at least you're starting to admit it.

I don't know why people act like it's offensive to suggest you got a lucky win... our Florida win was lucky... and I'm man enough to admit it. Luck is part of the game.

I've got no problem with a lucky win, but when some people suggest that USC's season has been a lucky one so far, that gets irritating.

XPS
02-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I've got no problem with a lucky win, but when some people suggest that USC's season has been a lucky one so far, that gets irritating.

Horn has done an outstanding job this year and USC is for real and in my opinion they have the best player in the SEC Downey...

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 03:08 PM

Three of the wins that have defined your season have been Baylor, Kentucky, and Florida... and you were lucky in all three at the very end of the game. That's not said to be irritating, but to acknowledge what happened. You've played some other close (one-possession) games that also turned out in your favor, like Arkansas this past weekend.

What's the difference in USC being in the bubble talk and out of it?... Answer: maybe 6 or 7 points, the combined difference in some of your games this year that I mentioned above.

USC has played some close games this year and you've won most... your team should be called the Cardiac Cats, because there's no way your heart can take much more last second games, I'd imagine.

ConwayGamecock
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM

Yeah, you were lucky last time (no sarcasm). How Perry Stevenson missed those two free throws at the end there, I'll never know. Otherwise, you guys put yourselves in position for that by outrebounding us by so much.

:rotf:

Yeah, we totally won that game based upon the pure luck of OUT-rebounding UK 35 to 40........

:lol:

We won the game on turnovers.....simple as that. Yep, we scored more 3s than UK did, but got out-FT shot tremendously (UK MADE 24 FTs compared to USC ATTEMPTING only 15......and we made only 7 of those). USC forced UK into 21 TOs while committing only 10 of our own. Since USC has led the SEC in TO margin and steals per game virtually all season long, and UK is one of the worst (the worst, actually) in turnovers, we have to perform well in those areas in order to win.

Also USC is one of the SEC's best 3-pt. shooting teams, while UK is not so good at defending the 3. Another factor is our big men Holmes, Archie and Muldrow need to try to stay out of early foul trouble, in order to impose themselves on Stevenson and Patterson.

The CLA will be rocking big time for this game, and our team will be ready. The game will be tough, as most seem to be, but I like our chances, the way we've fought back every time.....

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 04:06 PM
A guy called into the radio today and said he's already spotted a big group of UK fans in columbia. they're already here...

Yeah, our fans travel well. I'd like to see the arena, everybody says Colonial is pretty good, especially for a modest program, so it would be a nice trip to take.

It should be a tough homecourt, although UK will have a % of the people in the stands I'd imagine, but I'm sure we've faced tougher homecourts already.

UA37
02-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Yeah, our fans travel well. I'd like to see the arena, everybody says Colonial is pretty good, especially for a modest program, so it would be a nice trip to take.

It should be a tough homecourt, although UK will have a % of the people in the stands I'd imagine, but I'm sure we've faced tougher homecourts already.

The CLA is an outstanding place to watch a basketball game. It'll be a sellout and the fans will very much be behind USC. It'll be a tough environment for sure.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 04:16 PM
That's the nature of playing UK. But, our guys know a thing or two about hostile environments, considering we've played at Louisville, at Tennessee, and at Vandy.

Jodie Meeks' numbers are much better away from Rupp FWIW.

ConwayGamecock
02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Three of the wins that have defined your season have been Baylor, Kentucky, and Florida... and you were lucky in all three at the very end of the game. That's not said to be irritating, but to acknowledge what happened. You've played some other close (one-possession) games that also turned out in your favor, like Arkansas this past weekend.

What's the difference in USC being in the bubble talk and out of it?... Answer: maybe 6 or 7 points, the combined difference in some of your games this year that I mentioned above.

USC has played some close games this year and you've won most... your team should be called the Cardiac Cats, because there's no way your heart can take much more last second games, I'd imagine.

You know, you come off a bit homerish and actually moronic with your insistence on this.....you never had much credibility with me to begin with, despite all your signature quotes endorsements, but you only drop further down on the credibilty scale IMO. That's not said to be irritating, but to acknowledge what is happening, you understand....

every team every season wins and loses games in the final seconds by either making or missing shots. It's nothing as mystical nor inexplicable as you are desperately trying to make it out to be.

A player drives the floor and takes a shot at the buzzer, or tips in a rebound at the buzzer, is no more luckier than ANY player taking a shot on the perimeter in the first minute of regulation, or a player getting an offensive rebound under the basket for a put-back halfway through the first half of a game. Perhaps the defender on that perimeter shot was slow to step out and put a hand up and defend the shot: had he done so, perhaps he would've blocked the shot, or made the shooter hesitate enough to miss, or give up the notion altogether and pass the ball. Perhaps the defender didn't properly block-out the rebounder: had he done so, perhaps the rebound would've been a defensive one that HE corrals.

These are all part of playing the game, attempting to score points, and either attempting, or not attempting, to defend against the points. Every game, every season, players accomplish these things, and they don't accomplish them. USC has consistently succeeded in accomplishing these things: even in games where we have lost - games where we have been down by A LOT at halftime - we have consistently come back and made opportunities for ourselves to accomplish those things. Events that occur time and time again are not considered "lucky" events.

UK's Jodie Meeks only scored 54 points ONCE this season, not consistently. In fact, he hasn't scored 50 in any other game. His season average is less than half of that game. So it is more logical to say that Meeks' 54 game was a lucky game for him, and that he truly isn't on that scale of a player. It is more logical to say that it is even "lucky" to be considering and including UK in the discussion for SEC East and NCAAT contention, since they only won the game against UF by Calathes missing those FTs, when he is a near 72% FT shooter, and hasn't done anything like that before.

But we don't say things like that, even though we have more reason to, because unlike certain homers here, we know that you either make the plays or you don't; you either defend the plays from being made, or you don't. That's the name of the game, and no one in their right mind says it's all "lucky"......that's something a child would say......

It's not like we won all those games by heaving half-court bombs at buzzers or something......you are a little too transparent here........

ConwayGamecock
02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
That's the nature of playing UK.

No homer, that's the nature of playing at USC......we sold out for our game against UGA.......

:banghead:

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 04:31 PM
I felt like Patrick Patterson had a great game in the first game this year, and I'm not sure USC has a matchup for him... kinda similar to Downey the other way.

I intend on seeing Pat at the foul line quite a bit in this game, and although we have the best offensive player in the league (Jodie Meeks) I hope we go thru Pat and allow Jodie to get his points off of passes from Patterson from the post.

I wonder how the other UK fans feel about Patrick Patterson's potential game-changing presence in this game? Often we go with Jodie as the initial option, but here there's an advantage to exploit in the post.

SECgamecock453
02-23-2009, 06:19 PM
I like our chances at home. Arkansas absolutely destroyed us in rebounding 40-25 on Saturday and we still pulled out a win. I don't think that would be the case against Kentucky, but at least we proved it is possible. We just have to do a better job on the boards and get some better shot opportunities.

I really hope some of UK's players have some ridiculously retarded tattoos that my entire section can heckle the entire time. We really got Woodbury off of his game in the first half. Then when UGA played the other side in the 2nd half he was on fire because the other half of the student section was dead. Bring it on! I'm ready to go hoarse again!

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 06:24 PM
I think you're out of luck on the tattoo thing for the most part.

But, UK must work on rebounding too. We gave you guys way too many ORebs. last game. That could be a factor that swings the game in one team's favor if you're struggling with that.

Part of our issue with rebounding and I didn't realize this until Saturday is that Perry Stevenson doesn't really box out on free throws... it seems like he's instead trying to hold off his man, so that another UK player can corrall it instead of trying to box out his man and get the board himself. I don't know if G is advising him to do that or not, but it doesn't help much from my naked eye.

SECgamecock453
02-23-2009, 06:26 PM
We can't rely just on Downey to win the game either. A key to the Arkansas win was that Evka really stepped it up, both shooting-wise and rebounding. He had 14 points, 12 of them coming from 3-pointers, and he was all over the place coming in for rebounds. We don't necessarily have to have Fredrick and Downey play their best, as long as Downey is consistent and someone can pick up Fredrick's slack. It's going to be a battle that's for sure.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Our main thing is we need guys 3-9 or as all the announcers say our "non-scorers" to really contribute offensively. Defensively, I like what our team does usually, but we just need more sources of scoring. USC didn't allow Jodie to go off last time out, but I still think USC won't be able to really stop Jodie or Patrick in this game (unless there's foul trouble). Likewise, we won't be able to stop Downey. It comes down to the non-stars.

OffThePorch
02-23-2009, 06:52 PM
I like our chances at home. Arkansas absolutely destroyed us in rebounding 40-25 on Saturday and we still pulled out a win. I don't think that would be the case against Kentucky, but at least we proved it is possible. We just have to do a better job on the boards and get some better shot opportunities.
I really hope some of UK's players have some ridiculously retarded tattoos that my entire section can heckle the entire time. We really got Woodbury off of his game in the first half. Then when UGA played the other side in the 2nd half he was on fire because the other half of the student section was dead. Bring it on! I'm ready to go hoarse again!

Stop Meeks & USC wins. not easy.

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 04:22 PM
UK is letting ESPN tape our practices in Columbia today... you can catch the tape on Saturday's Gameday telecast.

SkyAntoine
02-24-2009, 04:39 PM
UK is letting ESPN tape our practices in Columbia today... you can catch the tape on Saturday's Gameday telecast.

Someone e-mailed me the article on that today. I really enjoyed a show last year on one of my Dish HD channels with Tubbby and behind the scenes of Gopher basketball. It's not on anymore.

Didn't they do something similar with Capel and Oklahoma following him all season?

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 04:45 PM
The Tubby thing was called "The Journey" and that was done by the Big Ten Network... I wanted to see that again too. Tubby is an excellent coach, and that behind the scenes access showed it.

Okay, Tubby lovefest over.

I'm not sure Capel did that though.

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 04:47 PM
UK needs to be involved in this kind of stuff... we are UK and I'm not saying that to be arrogant, but our program should be exposed like this.

SkyAntoine
02-24-2009, 04:58 PM
The Tubby thing was called "The Journey" and that was done by the Big Ten Network... I wanted to see that again too. Tubby is an excellent coach, and that behind the scenes access showed it.

Okay, Tubby lovefest over.

I'm not sure Capel did that though.
Interesting to see what face Billy Clyde puts on for the camera....and how ESPN edits the film. Do we see the perfectionist? The recruiting-minded coach (national exposure)? The fun-loving polite gentleman?

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Too bad Jeanine won't be there. Otherwise, we'd be the bitter coach.

SkyAntoine
02-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Too bad Jeanine won't be there. Otherwise, we'd be the bitter coach.

They could probably sell that as a PPV on ESPN.

Gotta admit, the soap operas are getting a little old. Maybe it's the internet, but I don't remember this many about previous coaches. Although, Sutton's days would have really been a hoot.

scgamecock312
02-24-2009, 08:03 PM

And the mighty UK Wildcats have never been lucky right?

SECgamecock453
02-25-2009, 11:03 AM
I was going to go to the game, but I got really sick again. Something is going around and it's pissing me off. I was sick for 2 days a couple weeks ago (just in time to knock me out on my birthday). And now it feels like I have the same thing again...

weegeman
02-25-2009, 11:29 AM
This is the most anticpated UK vs So. Car. game I can remember since the B.J. Mackey days. Whoever wins this one will be a full game up on everybody else in the East (thanks LSU).

UA37
02-25-2009, 12:26 PM
I just walked by the UK basketball team on my way to lunch. They are staying at the hotel across the street from my office. I stomped on Patterson's ankle. He's gonna be day-to-day.

JRS
02-25-2009, 12:30 PM
This is the most anticpated UK vs So. Car. game I can remember since the B.J. Mackey days. Whoever wins this one will be a full game up on everybody else in the East (thanks LSU).

That would be McKie, not Mackey lol. I can't wait to get off work and head to a bar to watch this game.

weegeman
02-25-2009, 02:01 PM
That would be McKie, not Mackey lol. I can't wait to get off work and head to a bar to watch this game.

I thought that looked funny when I typed it. McKie was the one who did the throat slash gesture, right?

kentubbybasketball
02-25-2009, 02:27 PM
And the mighty UK Wildcats have never been lucky right?

If you spent more time actually reading what I said instead of trying to call me out, you'll see in this very thread I've said UK has been lucky (against Florida in particular). Thanks.

XPS
02-25-2009, 02:33 PM
UK will be without Galloway tonight, his grandfather passed...

JRS
02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I thought that looked funny when I typed it. McKie was the one who did the throat slash gesture, right?

It's cool, I'm sure I've made a ton of mistakes in my limited amount of posts. Yeah, that gesture got him suspended for the first half of the UGA game. It's amazing that I can still remember that, guess the alcohol didn't kill all of my brain cells.

JRS
02-25-2009, 02:52 PM
UK will be without Galloway tonight, his grandfather passed...

That sucks man. My prayers go out to him and his family.

XPS
02-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Will the refs be the difference tonight like the Vandy game or will the best team win?

LSUTigers1404
02-25-2009, 05:46 PM
My head tells me that South Carolina will win, but I have a gut feeling that Kentucky will win. Please tell me this game is on tv.

XPS
02-25-2009, 05:51 PM
My head tells me that South Carolina will win, but I have a gut feeling that Kentucky will win. Please tell me this game is on tv.

Wave 3

SkyAntoine
02-25-2009, 05:53 PM
I have good news and bad news for you...

The bad news is and I don't know how to break this to you, but from your post it appears you may be suffering from the early stages of dementia.:sad2:

The good news is that your stomach appears to be in perfect working order.:clap:

kentubbybasketball
02-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Hey, Sky, what's your final take on the game before tipoff?

LSUTigers1404
02-25-2009, 06:34 PM
I have good news and bad news for you...

The bad news is and I don't know how to break this to you, but from your post it appears you may be suffering from the early stages of dementia.:sad2:

The good news is that your stomach appears to be in perfect working order.:clap:

Thanks for letting me know that my stomach is fine. My head is also starting to tell me that Kentucky will win. So does this mean that my dementia is going away also Dr. SkyAntoine? :cheers:

SkyAntoine
02-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Hey, Sky, what's your final take on the game before tipoff?

Unfortunately, I have to miss at least the first half of the game for church tonight. I've tried to not build up this game too much in my mind or my priorities could easily get out of whack.

That said...it worries me. Sounds like USC fans and team could really be up for this game and create a Rupp away from home for us. For the most part, I think it plays into our favor. I don't really see us rattled, but crowds can play a huge role just like at home in Lex.

We seemed to tap into something in the last game with confidence. If we can start believing we can win without Meeks scoring 30 ppg then it makes us much stronger. Knocking down shots when Meeks is face guarded is critical to success in the remainder of this season. Especially with a healthy PP to play an inside-out game. If teams have to start worrying about 5 players rather than 2, then Meeks could end up with better shots.

We have to keep TO's down or USC will make us pay. USC is mature and has played very poised this season. Downey has proven he has ice in his veins.

Basically, I think we have to play excellent tonight to win. I'm opimistic and expect a close 8 point victory.

SkyAntoine
02-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks for letting me know that my stomach is fine. My head is also starting to tell me that Kentucky will win. So does this mean that my dementia is going away also Dr. SkyAntoine? :cheers:
Yes, it appears to be more of a temporary from of dementia. Lucky for you. :D

LSUTigers1404
02-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Yes, it appears to be more of a temporary from of dementia. Lucky for you. :D

Phew...that's a relief.

MSUado
02-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Are they yelling DUI?

LSUTigers1404
02-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Are they yelling DUI?

I was thinking the same thing.

SECgamecock453
02-25-2009, 07:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc3SEBA-9nU

boxvic
02-25-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm utterly sick of this. Let's come out up for one came and like a bunch of blind idiots for the next.

I cannot wait until we finally get rid of Gillispie. Two years of this has felt like an eternity.

SCfan804
02-25-2009, 07:56 PM
This is utter domination. Patterson is getting blocked left and right by the likes of Archie and Steed. What a shot by Downey to end the half... gotta love the tear drop.

The house is ROCKIN tonight!

MSUado
02-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Patterson has to have had about five shots blocked by now. Good performance by USC thus far.

BleedBlue7
02-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Game over...........................

XPS
02-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Wow what a first half performance by USC, they are clearly better than UK in ever way. No excuses here, USC is just kicking UK's A$$ plain and simple...

SECgamecock453
02-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Damn I wish I was there. F*ck this sickness that is spreading around USC. Everyone is getting sick.

SCfan804
02-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Damn I wish I was there. F*ck this sickness that is spreading around USC. Everyone is getting sick.

Ahh...I was wondering why the hell you were on here posting lol

steelyvan
02-25-2009, 08:34 PM
how many 2nd half points has UK scored? USC = WOW!

SkyAntoine
02-25-2009, 08:37 PM
I just got home from church and there is something wrong with my TV. It says the score is 43-71.

SECgamecock453
02-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Cock blocks all over the place!

Dollar Theater
02-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Muldrow is Patterson's daddy.

BergeLSU
02-25-2009, 08:42 PM
16 Blocks...

This is pathetic.

SkyAntoine
Why isn't Meeks playing?

steelyvan
UK needs to get PP out of the game for a composure break.
why is JM not playing?

SCfan804
02-25-2009, 08:44 PM
16 f'ing blocks!!! 8 from Muldrow... Patterson is getting absolutely OWNED out there

fodive
02-25-2009, 08:44 PM
I guess we aren't just skating by in this one...

Dollar Theater
02-25-2009, 08:45 PM
I felt like Patrick Patterson had a great game in the first game this year, and I'm not sure USC has a matchup for him...
I'm thinking they do.....

SCfan804
02-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Downey to Muldrow for the ally oop over Patterson... beautiful

SECgamecock453
02-25-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm thinking this pretty much secures our NCAAT bid. I mean I don't see us losing to UGA. But I do think we split the @ Vandy and Tennessee games.

SkyAntoine
02-25-2009, 08:48 PM
I hope this game is the worst embarrassment of their lives and they decide to do something diffrent to salvage the season.

Dollar Theater
02-25-2009, 08:50 PM
I hope this game is the worst embarrassment of their lives and they decide to do something diffrent to salvage the season.
You guys need a better coach. Go get Travis Ford.

LSUTigers1404
02-25-2009, 08:51 PM
So much for my gut feeling.

SECgamecock453
02-25-2009, 08:51 PM
I guess this win isn't so LUCKY.

SkyAntoine
02-25-2009, 08:59 PM
So much for my gut feeling.
...and I'm obviously a complete idiot. :banghead:

SCfan804
02-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Twenty....blocked...shots. Just wow.

SkyAntoine
02-25-2009, 09:10 PM
How can we possibly compete with USC? We only have the #1 SG in the nation, one of the top 10 big men, a 5 star FR PG, 4 star Mr. B-ball from KY, Perry Stevenson who could easily be averaging 10+ ppg...should I go on?

ConwayGamecock
02-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Pretty dominant statement by the Gamecocks in Columbia tonight....totally dominated UK from the start, maintaining a 20-point cushion for most of the game, even extending their lead to 30 points. USC sweeps UK to take sole possession of 1st place in the East. Devan Downey also makes a statement of his own, in the battle of top contenders for the SEC POY, as he was the led the Gamecocks with 21 points, 5 assists, and 5 steals. UK's Meeks is held to 18 points - 7 below his conference-leading average - 2 rebounds, no assists, no steals, and 3 turnovers. USC repeated their great defensive performance of the first game by forcing UK into 20 turnovers, while allowing only 10 of their own.

Now let's get ready for Vandy!!

GO COCKS!!

SECgamecock453
02-25-2009, 09:20 PM
As we speak Vandy is struggling vs Georgia.

scgamecock312
02-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Where is Kentubby at now???? How lucky is Carolina now buddy!!

BergeLSU
02-25-2009, 09:44 PM
As we speak Vandy is struggling vs Georgia.

Correction:

Georgia just beat Vandy.

Congrats Dawgs.

ConwayGamecock
02-25-2009, 09:49 PM
wow......

Patterson had a great game.......if we didn't block so many of his shots, he might've broke Meek's single game scoring record tonight....

Djshockley3
02-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Correction:

Georgia just beat Vandy.

Congrats Dawgs.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

scgamecock312
02-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Still waiting on Kentubby.....guess he isn't going to show.

GR8NESS
02-25-2009, 10:20 PM
The reason Patterson got owned:

He was the only one trying.

scgamecock312
02-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Brummett....you really think UK is going to the NIT?

GR8NESS
02-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Yes. I really do.

scgamecock312
02-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Knowing UK...they will make a run through the SECT.

GR8NESS
02-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Worst losses ever in series
South Carolina
Vanderbilt (worst SEC loss)
Miami (previously 3-0)
Houston (previously 3-0)
Gardner-Webb
San Diego

Second worst losses ever in series
UNC (thank god for the 1924 game)
VMI (thank god for the 1914 game)
Miss St.

That's some sobering sh!t.

Tennessee
02-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Yes. I really do.

No way in Hades if KY is close, especially with the field as weak as it is this year, that the NCAA leaves them out...You cannot leave the KYs and UNCs of the world out unless it is a complete no-brainer than they don't belong

Not to mention that UT may be one of the teams that they're up against for a spot and with the two H2H wins, that favors y'all

LSU and SC are in

KY, UT, MSU and UF are fighting for anywhere from 2-3 more spots...I don't see UF getting left out of that

JMO

GR8NESS
02-25-2009, 10:34 PM
No way in Hades if KY is close, especially with the field as weak as it is this year, that the NCAA leaves them out...You cannot leave the KYs and UNCs of the world out unless it is a complete no-brainer than they don't belong

Did you watch tonight?

VMI?

We don't belong.

Tennessee
02-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Did you watch tonight?

VMI?

We don't belong.

There are two different questions:

1. Do you belong?
2. Will you make it?

1. Prob not
2. Yes

MSUado
02-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Don't worry. Kentucky is in. Who else is gonna go?

BergeLSU
02-25-2009, 10:58 PM
There are two different questions:

1. Do you belong?
2. Will you make it?

1. Prob not
2. Yes

Exactly.

The name Kentucky means a lot to the selection committee.

OffThePorch
02-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Congrats USC!

OffThePorch
02-25-2009, 11:15 PM
UK should get John Calipari. remember UMass then compared to now... dude wins games.

MSUado
02-25-2009, 11:38 PM
LSU is up next in Rupp. That should be a very good game in my opinion. LSU doesn't really need to win it so does Johnson get them up for that one.

BergeLSU
02-26-2009, 12:13 AM
LSU is up next in Rupp. That should be a very good game in my opinion. LSU doesn't really need to win it so does Johnson get them up for that one.

LSU is still playing for seeding in the NCAAT.

Plus Kentucky has always had LSU's number, especially in Rupp.

USC90
02-26-2009, 06:37 AM
The reason Patterson got owned:

He was the only one trying.

Agreed ... the guy was a beast and had absolutely zero help. No offense to the talented Meeks, but he's the first player I take off of your team.

USC90
02-26-2009, 06:39 AM
I guess this win isn't so LUCKY.

Where is Kentubby at now???? How lucky is Carolina now buddy!!

I didn't realize that this "lucky" theme had turned into bulletin board fodder (http://www.thestate.com/gogamecocks/story/696928.html?RSS=gogamecocks):

Forward Dominique Archie, who contributed to a school-record blocked-shot parade with four of his own, said USC was inspired by some bulletin board material provided by some Kentucky players. They apparently said USC’s earlier win at Kentucky involved some luck on the Gamecocks’ part.

“We wanted to prove it wasn’t luck,” Archie said.

weegeman
02-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Congrats Gamecocks on a thorough beatdown in every aspect of the game. If we don't beat LSU or Florida we're not dancin'.

VandyChuck
02-26-2009, 11:19 AM
what a c0ck block party.

JRS
02-26-2009, 11:58 AM
What a game. I am really proud of these guys. Thanks for the kind words UK fans, y'all truly are classy. As for Kentubby, I believe he is a teacher, so that might explain why is not posting right now. Gamecock fans, lets be as classy as these UK fans and not rub it in KT's face.

kentubbybasketball
02-26-2009, 12:41 PM
I didn't get to watch most of the game, because I had to go to church... but this was definitely a more decisive win for sure. I'm not sure why people got so bent out of shape about me talking about how fortunate USC was last time, but at this point I really don't care. You guys got the sweep and you deserved it.

Furthermore, let's not get too high for our britches UK fans. I've been here after wins and losses, so I'm not trying to hide, especially after losing to USC. This is the first chance I've had to get on the board, since the game. I can't just not teach my class so I can get on the board to comment.

I really felt like Patterson would have a major advantage in this game, and he still got great numbers, but USC did a great job of doubling him and at times sending a third guy over to block his shots.

I felt like Downey did a great job defending Porter... made Porter turn around at which point Downey picked his pocket, but Downey gets away with some handchecks that should be called, given he doesn't need an extra advantage.

Jodie Meeks' three threes in the first half kept UK from being down 30, and I still think he's the best player in the league. Between the turnovers and all the shots that go sent back, we just didn't have much for Jodie to do.

ConwayGamecock
02-26-2009, 12:53 PM
I didn't get to watch most of the game, because I had to go to church... but this was definitely a more decisive win for sure. I'm not sure why people got so bent out of shape about me talking about how fortunate USC was last time, but at this point I really don't care. You guys got the sweep and you deserved it.

With me, it was because you didn't just voice it once, as an opinion, but several times, and in frames of discussion where the question was not even raised, as if you had an agenda to push. And secondly, because you were wrong. I don't mind people having an opinion that I disagree with, but when they push it, and it's clearly wrong, and (maybe as important as anything) it's about my team, then a lot of times I push back......

but it's all good, and more relevant, it's all moot.....

:)

ConwayGamecock
02-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Here is the full game on yahoo.com, in case anyone missed it, and wanted to watch it again:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/270.0/popup/index.php?rn=9033886&ch=9372372&cl=10661937

You may need to register with yahoo.com, which is free....

weegeman
02-26-2009, 01:52 PM
I'll pass on watching that one again.

SkyAntoine
02-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Here is the full game on yahoo.com, in case anyone missed it, and wanted to watch it again:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/270.0/popup/index.php?rn=9033886&ch=9372372&cl=10661937

You may need to register with yahoo.com, which is free....
Thank, Conway! That's awesome! I really appreciate it!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/miloshpsy/mickey-kicked-in-nuts.jpg

VandyChuck
02-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Thank, Conway! That's awesome! I really appreciate it!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/miloshpsy/mickey-kicked-in-nuts.jpg

:rotf:

cock15
02-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Congrats Gamecocks! Go beat Vandy this weekend.